Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: The Soapbox

  1. #61
    Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    2,708

  2. #62
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    13,359

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    well you have more faith in government than I do if this is a proactive program, and actually has success. Personally when I see homeless camps everywhere and people in our country hurting due to pandemic sending all that cash to other countries feels to me like a slap in face. As you could guess I’m not for people living on handouts, but certainly think most people deserve help til they get back on feet. And during covid even more, I count my lucky stars every day my income has been unchanged, most cant say the same. Maybe the money given to foreign countries will pay dividends, I just think packaging in a stimulus where American are hurting is wrong. Both parties to blame equally as far as Im concerned.
    There is one specific party that steadfastly refused to authorize additional stimulus money for average folks. McConnell, Graham, Paul, and all the other usual GOP suspects said that the spigot needed to be turned off and we couldn't risk bankrupting the country to help people out during covid. Of course, this was after they cut all their donors taxes. Which Graham and other are on the public record saying they voted for solely because their reelection donors said that they wouldn't cut them another check if they didn't.

    Plus we are talking about a drop in the ocean here. All foreign aid in total is typically around 0.5-1.5 % of the total Federal budget. Even under Democrats, aid is roughly 1% of the budget. As best I can tell that is one of the smallest slices of the budget pie...less than is spent on roads each fiscal year.

    Even if you stopped all foreign aid (roughly $40 billion) that wouldn't pay for much of anything here at home. Now, eliminate one small program from that entire slice of the pie. Savings of basically nothing.

    We spend over twice as much on a single F-35 than we do on all foreign aid.

  3. #63
    President-Elect Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    11,920

    Re: The Soapbox

    Here is the thing about the ongoing stimulus payments. As of last month, the unemployment rate was 6.3%. While that's a bit higher than normal, it is nothing like the situation that we were in last year, when liberal Democrats forced 40% unemployment on the entire country overnight.

    But 6.3% unemployment means there is 93.7% employment. If you are just throwing around trillions of dollars in order to give direct payments to everyone, you are misdirecting over 90% of it. You want to give money to the people who really need it, then address it through higher unemployment benefits and interest-free small business loans. (And end any remaining COVID restrictions, but that goes without saying.)

    Furthermore, a direct payment of $2,000 to every man, woman, and child living in the country would total somewhere around $660 billion. They were talking about a $1.9 trillion deal. Consistently, every package that's been proposed has included about twice as much funding for random government spending sprees as it has for actual relief payments. Combine that with the current unemployment rate, and we're looking at an idea that's going to be about 97.9% ineffective at addressing the real problem, and the only result will be people bitching that it's "not enough."

    Well, imagine if you'd passed something that gave $45,000 each to the people who actually needed it, which is the equivalent of what's in this. Could THAT pay their rent and feed their families? Of course - although then I suspect we'd get people scamming the system like you have never seen. At least it would provide definitive proof of why big government spending programs don't work. But it's not like any of the ones who advocate for them would learn a damn thing from it.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  4. #64
    Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Here is the thing about the ongoing stimulus payments. As of last month, the unemployment rate was 6.3%. While that's a bit higher than normal, it is nothing like the situation that we were in last year, when liberal Democrats forced 40% unemployment on the entire country overnight.

    But 6.3% unemployment means there is 93.7% employment. If you are just throwing around trillions of dollars in order to give direct payments to everyone, you are misdirecting over 90% of it. You want to give money to the people who really need it, then address it through higher unemployment benefits and interest-free small business loans. (And end any remaining COVID restrictions, but that goes without saying.)

    Furthermore, a direct payment of $2,000 to every man, woman, and child living in the country would total somewhere around $660 billion. They were talking about a $1.9 trillion deal. Consistently, every package that's been proposed has included about twice as much funding for random government spending sprees as it has for actual relief payments. Combine that with the current unemployment rate, and we're looking at an idea that's going to be about 97.9% ineffective at addressing the real problem, and the only result will be people bitching that it's "not enough."

    Well, imagine if you'd passed something that gave $45,000 each to the people who actually needed it, which is the equivalent of what's in this. Could THAT pay their rent and feed their families? Of course - although then I suspect we'd get people scamming the system like you have never seen. At least it would provide definitive proof of why big government spending programs don't work. But it's not like any of the ones who advocate for them would learn a damn thing from it.
    I agree with this. I'm in a serious bad situation right now. My job is contingent on show halls opening up in the country/world. This is not happening. I have 28 years invested in the company I work for. I NEED help! Just give me the $300.00 a week from the Fed! This is not Socialism. It's HELP that is needed for those of us that have paid through the nose for years in taxes. I am out of state unemployment. I NEED HELP! No one cares.

    I did NOT quit my job.... it was taken from me. What am I.... and everyone in my situation supposed to do?????????????????? Oh, yea........... learn code!!!!!!!!!!............. fuck you!!!!!!!!!

  5. #65
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,712

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Shhhh!!! You will make too many people feel bad about themselves and then you will get kicked out for trolling.

    .
    I hear ya. Some sensitive folks around now.


  6. #66
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    4,517

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I agree with this. I'm in a serious bad situation right now. My job is contingent on show halls opening up in the country/world. This is not happening. I have 28 years invested in the company I work for. I NEED help! Just give me the $300.00 a week from the Fed! This is not Socialism. It's HELP that is needed for those of us that have paid through the nose for years in taxes. I am out of state unemployment. I NEED HELP! No one cares.

    I did NOT quit my job.... it was taken from me. What am I.... and everyone in my situation supposed to do?????????????????? Oh, yea........... learn code!!!!!!!!!!............. fuck you!!!!!!!!!
    Hope things look up for you soon. I agree that the help should go to people who lost their jobs. People who have been employed throughout the whole pandemic aren't the ones who need a stimulus check. My gf is on the same boat, she works in the tourism industry (Adventures by Disney) and that's been shut down for almost a year now. She's been actively trying to cross train into other fields of study but it's not that easy. It's not like she doesn't want to work, she wants to work. But her job was basically taken away.
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner, 3- Tom Brady, 4- Lamar Jackson. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad

  7. #67
    Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: The Soapbox


  8. #68
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,662

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    You got to give him credit though, he did win a game of Mario Kart. That's probably the biggest accomplishment of his political career to date and will end up being the biggest accomplishment of his regime

  9. #69
    President-Elect Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    11,920

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    You got to give him credit though, he did win a game of Mario Kart. That's probably the biggest accomplishment of his political career to date and will end up being the biggest accomplishment of his regime
    Biggest positive accomplishment anyway. But don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,712

    Re: The Soapbox

    Its OK, you have 8 years to complain that he has dementia.



    ...and cry about dogs in the White House.

  11. #71
    President-Elect Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    11,920

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Its OK, you have 8 years to complain that he has dementia.



    ...and cry about dogs in the White House.
    Wow guys, did you see that? He did it again, he said 8 YEARS. I looked it up and they only have elections every 4 years, so it means - and get ready to be blown away by this - he's implying it's a foregone conclusion that the Democrats will win the next election.

    What subtlety! How clever! What an impressive low-key dig! Let's face it, guys - clearly we are dealing with a superior intellect here; time to pack it in. Never mind the cult-like devotion or willful ignorance, he is just on a completely different level from us.

    But of course, that may be a little much for us to comprehend.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  12. #72
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,712

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Wow guys, did you see that? He did it again, he said 8 YEARS. I looked it up and they only have elections every 4 years, so it means - and get ready to be blown away by this - he's implying it's a foregone conclusion that the Democrats will win the next election.

    What subtlety! How clever! What an impressive low-key dig! Let's face it, guys - clearly we are dealing with a superior intellect here; time to pack it in. Never mind the cult-like devotion or willful ignorance, he is just on a completely different level from us.

    But of course, that may be a little much for us to comprehend.
    If you are not going to seek some kind of help with your issues, you should at least pace yourself. Could be a long time spent whining about those Democrats that are conspiring to ruin your hopes and dreams. Might be longer than the Obama years.


  13. #73
    President-Elect Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    11,920

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If you are not going to seek some kind of help with your issues, you should at least pace yourself. Could be a long time spent whining about those Democrats that are conspiring to ruin your hopes and dreams. Might be longer than the Obama years.

    As usual, completely predictable and right on schedule. Really just strikes me as someone who doesn't have anything meaningful to say. You sure you don't want to tell everyone how great you are again?
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  14. #74
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,712

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    As usual, completely predictable and right on schedule. Really just strikes me as someone who doesn't have anything meaningful to say. You sure you don't want to tell everyone how great you are again?
    I would, but I'm heading out to get my new MacBook Pro- "Hunter Biden Diamond Series".

    You gonna go out and holler at Democratic Windmills, because that is what the media told you to do? Best of luck with that.

  15. #75
    President-Elect Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    11,920

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I would, but I'm heading out to get my new MacBook Pro- "Hunter Biden Diamond Series".

    You gonna go out and holler at Democratic Windmills, because that is what the media told you to do? Best of luck with that.
    This guy. Imagine being a liberal and thinking other people are the ones screaming at imaginary problems because the media told them to. Very sad.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  16. #76
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,712

    Re: The Soapbox

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    This guy. Imagine being a liberal and thinking other people are the ones screaming at imaginary problems because the media told them to. Very sad.
    What is really sad is thinking that all your problems in life are caused by "liberals". Or that anybody you disagree with must be "liberal".

    A good bit of self-reflection would help you find out that you are the root of your problems and are also the solution to your problems.

  17. #77
    Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Gender
    Posts
    3,977

    Re: The Soapbox



    Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

    Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  18. #78
    Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: The Soapbox

    I'm not a Rap fan at all, but I have been listening this guy since my nephew told me I would appreciate his message. He wasn't wrong. I've enjoyed most of the stuff I've listened to.... the dude is on point.

    https://youtu.be/koO35JqBQMI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •