Thread: Why The Steelers Should Invest In A TE Early In The 2021 Draft

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Why The Steelers Should Invest In A TE Early In The 2021 Draft

I'd have a stroke if the Steelers picked a TE in R1, but Pitts won't be there come pick 24 anyway. Freiermuth will probably be gone when the Steelers pick in R2 and he is coming off surgery so there is that. There are some others that have surgery questions also. I would take Hunter Long if Freiermuth is gone, Long is kinda like Health Miller, he's a good blocker and maybe a bit more athletic. El mentioned Tre McKitty who is interesting and will be probably a day three pick.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/h...ege-tight-end/

Bringing you guys the first of many Pittsburgh Steelers’ offseason analysis for these next few months. Starting things with an issue near and dear to me. I’m once again asking the Steelers to draft a TE before Day Three. 2021 is as good a time as any. We lay out the reasons why the organization should make an aggressive move to address the position in April’s draft and come up with an offseason plan for the position.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/wa...he-2021-draft/

Last edited by Shoes; 01-23-2021 at 05:57 AM. Reason: added link

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Why The Steelers Should Invest In A TE Early In The 2021 Draft

The question with Freiermuth is “When do you select him?” Pick 24 seems a little early, but I think he’s gone by Pick 55. Dagnabbit!!!... Pick 32 would have been PERFECT.

I had mentioned this idea a few weeks back: trade with Buffalo. The Steelers draft would look like this:

-trade back to 32 (swap picks)
    -original R2 pick
    -acquire a R2 pick (from Buffalo)
    -swap R3 picks (with Buffalo)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The question with Freiermuth is “When do you select him?” Pick 24 seems a little early, but I think he’s gone by Pick 55. Dagnabbit!!!... Pick 32 would have been PERFECT.

I had mentioned this idea a few weeks back: trade with Buffalo. The Steelers draft would look like this:

-trade back to 32 (swap picks)
    -original R2 pick
    -acquire a R2 pick (from Buffalo)
    -swap R3 picks (with Buffalo)
    Taking Freiermuth, I’d trade back a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Who started this thread....Oh....

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Retirements At TE Provides Opportunity To Tweak Positional Philosophy

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/re...al-philosophy/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Possible replacements for Vance McDonald’s tight end spot

The Steelers will be in desperate need of some reinforcements at the tight end position following McDonald’s retirement

By Michael_Beck
    Jan 23, 2021

With Vance McDonald putting a bow on his NFL career. The Steelers find themselves down a tight end. The league waits to celebrate no man, so the Steelers will have already begun prep work on finding a suitable replacement. With Eric Ebron set to reprise his position as the primary pass catching big man, the Steelers will need to find a top blocking option to pair with him.

Now, for this exercise I will be avoiding any players in the draft. The way the Steelers have used their number two tight end is typically just in a blocking type role. With Zach Gentry and Kevin Rader already on the roster, the Steelers aren't going to replace either of them with a sixth round pick, at least not right away. So let’s get started.

Jesse James

I’ll start this list with a very familiar name. Jesse James has done virtually nothing since since his 4-year $22 million dollar deal with the Detroit Lions. With two seasons remaining on his deal with the Lions, James would have to be released before such a deal could be made. However, with the amount of production and playing time he has gotten in Detroit. Getting cut looks like a certainty.

Time heals all wounds, and if James becomes available this would be the most likely move in my mind.

MyCole Pruitt

The other tight end in Tennessee. The Titans will have their hands full trying to re-sign Jonnu Smith to a contract extension. But it’s Mycole Pruitt, that will both fit schematically and financially into the Steelers’ system. Pruitt is a devastating blocker, and works extraordinarily well in the second tight end role.

Although not a receiving threat, Pruitt has had to grind his way just to earn an NFL job. His work ethic would be welcomed into the locker room.

Antony Auclair

If the Steelers want to take a flyer on a cheep blocking option, Auclair might be a good bet. Missing most of the Buccaneers regular season with a calf injury, Auclair has gotten lost in the fold of the Bucs’ vast depth chart. Auclair might be the biggest dice roll of anybody on this list, and the only player that will get a significant raise in playing time.

Tyler Eifert

I wanted to end this list with two bigger names that are less realistic, but will come cheaper than ever. At one point Eifert was considered one of the top tight end prospects in the NFL. Injuries have plagued his career, however Eifert is a fighter to remain in this league. Still just 30 years old, Eifert played in 31 games over the past two seasons, and has had the best stretch of health in his career. I’m not against a one year flyer for the former Cincinnati Bengal.

Zach Ertz

Zach Ertz has played his final game as a Philadelphia Eagle. He will either be traded or cut in the coming months, and I would have to imagine the Steelers would at least put in a phone call. Ertz’s [traded] cap hit is a smaller than the savings from McDonald’s retirement, so he’s not unaffordable. Sure he’s on the last legs of his career, however the right team could pull another solid season from the veteran tight end. Keep in mind the entire situation in Philly was a disaster, coupled with some injury issues to Ertz himself and it’s no surprise his numbers suffered. Ertz will be better in 2021.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ames-zach-ertz

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Jake Butt , should be incredibly cheap has very little NFL mileage and pre injury in college most thought he was the best TE to enter the draft ... just 3 starts in Denver averages about 10 per catch may be a hidden gem that wont cost much to get eyes on

Gerald Everett , another steelers type signing half decent production entering his prime and will come rather cheaply 2-3 million a year range

Shoe's would probably want Hunter Henry tho
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Jake Butt , should be incredibly cheap has very little NFL mileage and pre injury in college most thought he was the best TE to enter the draft ... just 3 starts in Denver averages about 10 per catch may be a hidden gem that wont cost much to get eyes on

Gerald Everett , another steelers type signing half decent production entering his prime and will come rather cheaply 2-3 million a year range

Shoe's would probably want Hunter Henry tho
    Henry would be the only one I would take maybe Butt, but I still would draft a TE. Have to get younger at this position.

James probably sealed his fate with Tomlin after his comments about the Steelers after landing in Detroit.

I don't know who this Michael Beck is but he can keep his reruns. I mean Tyler Eifert???? This guy is held together with rubber bands and nuts and bolts! Beck said he played in 31 games over the last two seasons but he didn't say he only played about 45% of the snaps in 2019 and missed 53 games since 2013! You want a guy with this history!

Sep 30, 2018 NFL Pedal Ankle Fracture Eifert missed the final 12 games on IR.
    Sep 14, 2017 NFL Back Vertebral Disc Bulge Eifert needed another surgery on his back and missed the remainder of the season.
    Sep 14, 2017 NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Eifert underwent surgery to remove a cyst.
    Dec 18, 2016 NFL Back Lower Lumbar Strain Grade 2 Eifert hurt his back late in Week 15. He missed the final 2 games and later underwent surgery.
    Oct 4, 2016 NFL Back Vertebral Bruise Eifert missed 2 games.
    Jan 31, 2016 NFL Pedal Ankle Ligament Tear Grade 3 Eifert was injured in the Pro Bowl and missed the first 6 games of the 2016 season.
    Dec 13, 2015 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Eifert returned from his neck injury only to leave with a concussion on his second reception of Week 14. He missed the rest of Week 14 and sat out 2 more games.
    Nov 29, 2015 NFL Cervical Neck Stinger Eifert missed 1 game.
    Sep 7, 2014 NFL Arm Elbow Tear Eifert dislocated his right elbow in Week 1 and missed the rest of the season.
    Aug 14, 2014 NFL Shoulder Labrum Tear Eifert missed three preseason games with a left shoulder injury that eventually required surgery.
    Dec 22, 2013 NFL Shoulder Eifert suffered a shoulder stinger in the 1st quarter against the Vikings. He missed Week 17.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...er-eifert/6680