Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Obviously you never heard of the mudskipper.

This response proves that you could be a rocket scientist AND also get a perfect Wonderlic score.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mike Tomlin says he’s building a personal connection with Dwayne Haskins

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 17, 2021

Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins has been through a lot in his short NFL career, and coach Mike Tomlin wants to learn all about it.

Tomlin was asked on Wednesday about a post-practice talk with Haskins, and he said that while he’s letting quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan and offensive coordinator Matt Canada coach Haskins on Xs and Os, Tomlin wants to know about Haskins’ overall development.

“I’ve been more concerned about Dwayne the person,” Tomlin said, via Missi Matthews of the Steelers’ website. “What he’s been through . . . how it’s affected the growth and development of his game.”

Haskins signed a one-year contract with the Steelers for the minimum salary and nothing guaranteed. To agree to that deal, he had to think the Steelers were a team that would spend some time developing him — to a greater extent than Washington did after drafting him in the first round. Tomlin sounds interested in helping that process.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wayne-haskins/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Dwayne Haskins will go down as the greatest QB in Steelers history!!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Haskins has looked good. The talent was always there (he beat out Joe Burrow at Ohio State). Maybe Tomlin has Haskins’s “head on correctly”…

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Haskins has looked good. The talent was always there (he beat out Joe Burrow at Ohio State). Maybe Tomlin has Haskins’s “head on correctly”…
    Would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I guess Haskins is considered to have more talent then Rudolph- but he hasn’t shown it at the pro level - not from the highlights I’ve seen. Maybe he has a stronger arm, which one has more accuracy is debatable. I still see them as roughly equal with Rudolph having the edge because of experience and knowledge with the team. They’re listed as 2 and 3 respectively on depth. It would be good for the Steelers if both play really well and show they can step in and throw the ball downfield effectively.

I’ll be surprised if Ben can play the whole season, so we need a good backup, better than Rudolph 2019 and better than Haskins 2020

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He throws a nice ball and has a quick release

From what the reports are saying, Haskins is having the best camp of his career. So much so, that there is talk amongst the beat writers that Haskins may leapfrog Rudolph on the depth chart.

If Haskins’ talent manifests… we could have found ourselves a nice QB.

Maybe Haskins will only be a stop-gap for a few seasons (until we find out next “franchise QB”), but if he plays up to his potential, with this current defense, we would be serious contenders.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

From what the reports are saying, Haskins is having the best camp of his career. So much so, that there is talk amongst the beat writers that Haskins may leapfrog Rudolph on the depth chart.

If Haskins’ talent manifests… we could have found ourselves a nice QB.

Maybe Haskins will only be a stop-gap for a few seasons (until we find out next “franchise QB”), but if he plays up to his potential, with this current defense, we would be serious contenders.
    Nothing would make me happier to have him succeed for a few seasons.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm just glad to see Haskins is getting an opportunity with the Steelers. We know all these QBs have a high floor and have the physical talents to succeed. Just have to hope he can put it all together with understanding the flow of the game. I think he's in good hands with this coaching staff.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm just glad to see Haskins is getting an opportunity with the Steelers. We know all these QBs have a high floor and have the physical talents to succeed. Just have to hope he can put it all together with understanding the flow of the game. I think he's in good hands with this coaching staff.
    I don't know that his floor is high, but his ceiling is.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Looks like the #2 job is up for grabs after all...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin was always one to push buttons and competition. If Rudolph really has what it takes and is legit, he has to overcome the favorite Haskins.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Tomlin was always one to push buttons and competition. If Rudolph really has what it takes and is legit, he has to overcome the favorite Haskins.
    Rudolph had a nice season finale against the browns but he has to keep playing well - A rejuvenated Haskins is better competition than Dobbs

Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Completions of 20+ yards, Steelers' training camp (last four practices).

Dwayne Haskins: 6
    Ben Roethlisberger: 1
    Josh Dobbs: 1
    Mason Rudolph: 0

Haskins' numbers matching eye test. Pushing the ball vertically. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=

Haskins had great days and camps with the Redskins too. Just something to keep in mind before getting overly excited…

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Completions of 20+ yards, Steelers' training camp (last four practices).

Dwayne Haskins: 6
    Ben Roethlisberger: 1
    Josh Dobbs: 1
    Mason Rudolph: 0

Haskins' numbers matching eye test. Pushing the ball vertically. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=
    Rudolph looks like he's a slightly upgraded Landry Jones, but not much more than that

Louis Riddick raved about Haskins before his draft and of all the guys on TV, I value Riddick's evaluations the most. In fact, I've love for him to take over when Colbert retires.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Louis Riddick raved about Haskins before his draft and of all the guys on TV, I value Riddick's evaluations the most. In fact, I've love for him to take over when Colbert retires.
    I agree. Riddick understands how a guy plays, how he processes, not just looking at stats. Riddick is a guy that played the game, is intelligent and analytical about things and understands what it takes to be successful.

This video from Haskins rookie year vs Detroit shows a lot of traits to be positive about. I never understood all the hate when the Steelers signed Haskins.

Alex Kozora Retweeted

Steelers Depot
    @Steelersdepot

Tomlin says Haskins has grown by "leaps and bounds."

Dwayne Haskins goes 6/7 for 67 yards and a 25 yard TD to Anthony Johnson. He's done well in two minute situations. TD each time. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I watched 4-5 complete games of the Redskins in Haskins rookie year and I saw a lot of talent, along with some rookie mistakes. If you've only ever watched highlights you're really at a disadvantage in your evaluation.

I watched 4-5 complete games of the Redskins in Haskins rookie year and I saw a lot of talent, along with some rookie mistakes. If you've only ever watched highlights you're really at a disadvantage in your evaluation.
    they must’ve been brief and few flashes of brilliance otherwise it’s doubtful the redskins let him go. He’s a rehab project based mostly on his college career. Like someone else mentioned I wouldn’t get too excited until at least preseason starts and even then it’s against rooks, walk ons and backups in the second half. Rudolph proved he can play last season against Cleveland, I think that and his experience are why he’s starting against Dallas, probably against first teamers. I’m not rooting for one over the other - it would be awesome for the team and fans if both light it up during the preseason

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    they must’ve been brief and few flashes of brilliance otherwise it’s doubtful the redskins let him go. He’s a rehab project based mostly on his college career. Like someone else mentioned I wouldn’t get too excited until at least preseason starts and even then it’s against rooks, walk ons and backups in the second half. Rudolph proved he can play last season against Cleveland, I think that and his experience are why he’s starting against Dallas, probably against first teamers. I’m not rooting for one over the other - it would be awesome for the team and fans if both light it up during the preseason
    No. Actually they weren’t. There was a big conflict with Rivera. I think coach is taking the high road is not talking much about it. But I don’t believe it was his play that got him cut. He hadn’t even played 2 years.

No. Actually they weren’t. There was a big conflict with Rivera. I think coach is taking the high road is not talking much about it. But I don’t believe it was his play that got him cut. He hadn’t even played 2 years.
    yeah something behind the scenes had to have been going on. Teams usually don't cut the cord on a 1st round QB that quickly.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    yeah something behind the scenes had to have been going on. Teams usually don't cut the cord on a 1st round QB that quickly.
    Well, at least it seems like he’s been checking all the mental and emotional boxes since becoming a Steeler. In an interview he just said that he’s been focused on learning everything he can from the way Ben does things... the reasons why he makes adjustments at the line, the things he says to receivers about routes, etc.

Given that the physical tools are apparently there, all signs are currently pointing way up.

Dwayne Haskins has been “surprisingly good” in Steelers camp

Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2021

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...steelers-camp/

Even if Haskins’ stats were abysmal at Washington (they weren’t; they were comparable to Rudolph’s numbers), what a player does with one team can be vastly different in a new environment.

Jerome Bettis had an awful season before being traded. James Farrior looked like a complete bust before signing with the Steelers. James Harrison was cut four/five times before he finally put it all together.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Even if Haskins’ stats were abysmal at Washington (they weren’t; they were comparable to Rudolph’s numbers), what a player does with one team can be vastly different in a new environment.

Jerome Bettis had an awful season before being traded. James Farrior looked like a complete bust before signing with the Steelers. James Harrison was cut four/five times before he finally put it all together.
    Bold Statement time: Dwayne Haskins will be the Steelers starting QB in 2022.