Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    no he doesn’t. AB does owe Tomlin and Ben a lot, they helped make him a star, even though AB did his best to sabotage his own career

Regarding the Haskins topic, if I were Mason, I’d be a little nervous going into the new season, which might be a good thing for him. However, If Haskins gets it together mentally, Mason would have a tough time to stay on the roster
    Don’t you think Dobbs would be released before Rudolph? I imagine they’ll go into 2021 with 3 QBs on the active roster.

Are we’re you talking about 2022? I figure that unless Haskins or Rudolph somehow proves himself as a franchise QB the Steelers will draft someone or make a trade for an established QB.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm rooting for him for selfish reasons and also because I like comeback stories.
    That's an amazing thing to say. We have so many stories these days about people that washed out or whatever, I want to hear stories about people overcoming.

Want to stand out?

Inspire people.

I think dogging on others is boring these days. Let's lift people up instead.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Don’t you think Dobbs would be released before Rudolph? I imagine they’ll go into 2021 with 3 QBs on the active roster.

Are we’re you talking about 2022? I figure that unless Haskins or Rudolph somehow proves himself as a franchise QB the Steelers will draft someone or make a trade for an established QB.
    Your right, Dobbs would be released first, but if Haskins plays to his potential in the 2021 preseason maybe he moves up to the no 2 spot. That might be the end for Rudolph in Pittsburgh for the following 2022 season. I hope Rudolph and Haskins both play well in preseason, we need a good backup or two for a 39 year old starter.

I doubt either guy prevents the Steelers from drafting or acquiring a FA QB in 2022

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I would keep Rudolph for a decade… as a BACKUP. He’s great off of the bench. Really. He’s not nearly as good starting (especially for more than a few games in a row). He’s like a young Fitzpatrick.

As has been stated and iterated, there is ZERO downside to signing Haskins. If balls out and we sign him: great. If he balls out and signs elsewhere: due to CBA rules, we’d get a R1 pick for him. If he sucks: it cost us minimally (money-wise) and nothing as far as draft capital.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I would keep Rudolph for a decade… as a BACKUP. He’s great off of the bench. Really. He’s not nearly as good starting (especially for more than a few games in a row). He’s like a young Fitzpatrick.

As has been stated and iterated, there is ZERO downside to signing Haskins. If balls out and we sign him: great. If he balls out and signs elsewhere: due to CBA rules, we’d get a R1 pick for him. If he sucks: it cost us minimally (money-wise) and nothing as far as draft capital.
    Is that a fact? Is that because he was a R1 pick?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Is that a fact? Is that because he was a R1 pick?
    100%

(to both parts of the question)

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I wasn’t crazy about the Haskins deal, especially being in Redskin country, (yeah I know) but as many have said, there isn’t much down side. With a more mature atmosphere that he will have in Pittsburgh, it just might work.....but we will once again have to let Dobbs go....and I always like his brain around if not his physical skills.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I wasn’t crazy about the Haskins deal, especially being in Redskin country, (yeah I know) but as many have said, there isn’t much down side. With a more mature atmosphere that he will have in Pittsburgh, it just might work.....but we will once again have to let Dobbs go....and I always like his brain around if not his physical skills.
    I’m a fan of Elon Musk’s brain too, but I’d rather have him making Teslas and getting us to Mars than taking up a roster spot on the Steelers. ��

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I’m a fan of Elon Musk’s brain too, but I’d rather have him making Teslas and getting us to Mars than taking up a roster spot on the Steelers. ��

Thank you. The bottom line is if the QB can play or not, or is a prospect to develop or not. Lots of folks like some guys because its a great "story", but the NFL is a performance driven league, not a Hallmark Channel series.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I sort of equate Haskins/Rudolph/Dobbs to this year's OL when wondering what to expect. The ONLY true returning OL and someone we know and trust is DeCastro.
    Chuks is the consensus starter at LT right now but we really have zero history and knowledge of Chuks as an NFL LT.
    Next is Dotson at LG who did have some quality snaps and looked good in those snaps but it is such a small sample size, what did we actually learn?
    At Center will be Finney or Green. We are not positive which guy will win the job but the hope is Finney can hold it down until Green is ready to take over. Then there is Banner at RT coming off a missed season with his ACL repair. Would he beat out Chuks for that role if that were the battle this year in TC after the ACL?

My point is 'NO' we don't know anything really heading into the 2021 season. The offense is under a new coordinator now. Will this be easier for our guys or tougher? Maybe Rudolph looks like the guy Colbert/Tomlin thought they drafted in the 3rd round with a 1st round grade. Maybe we end up with a 'real' QB battle between all 3/4 backups in TC. We have no idea to almost no idea what is going to happen in this new offense for these players. I say just stay positive until there is a reason to worry. And even then be patient and allow things to get worked out within the team dynamic.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

You really don’t have to be an ass to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    You really don’t have to be an ass to disagree.
    I apologize. I meant it in good humor. It’s hard to convey tone here.

I don’t necessarily disagree that intelligence is important, but being rocket scientist smart ultimately is far less helpful than the physical QB skills that it seems Dobbs simply doesn’t have. I like him as a person but I believe he’s kind of hit his ceiling, and his ceiling isn’t high enough to consistently win football games in the NFL.

Haskins might ultimately be a total bust, but I think I’d like to see him beat out Dobbs just on the off chance he can hit his potential.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I apologize. I meant it in good humor. It’s hard to convey tone here.

I don’t necessarily disagree that intelligence is important, but being rocket scientist smart ultimately is far less helpful than the physical QB skills that it seems Dobbs simply doesn’t have. I like him as a person but I believe he’s kind of hit his ceiling, and his ceiling isn’t high enough to consistently win football games in the NFL.

Haskins might ultimately be a total bust, but I think I’d like to see him beat out Dobbs just on the off chance he can hit his potential.
    The whole "rocket scientist smart" perception is overhyped. Its a chosen field of study, just like microbiology, chemical engineer or electrician. Below is a sampling of Wonderlic scores around the 29 that Josh Dobbs scored and its a mix of a lot of QB's.

https://wonderlictestpractice.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

Some other notable scores are :
    Blain Gabbert - 42
    Carson Wentz- 40
    Eli Manning ----39
    Matt Stafford----38
    Josh Allen ------37
    Jared Goff-------36
    Aaron Rodgers---35
    Tom Brady--------33
    Nate Peterman ---33

Matt Barkley 30 QB
    Josh Siple 30 QB
    Bill Burke 30 QB
    David Klingler 30 QB
    John Beck 30 QB
    Zach Mettenberger 30 QB
    Josh Rosen 29 QB
    Troy Aikman 29 QB
    Brady Quinn 29 QB
    John Elway 29 QB
    Andy Dalton 29 QB
    Rex Grossman 29 QB
    Chris Weinke 29 QB
    Marc Bulger 29 QB
    Jeff Driskel 29 QB
    Nick Foles 29 QB
    Josh Dobbs 29 QB
    Brian Cook Click 29 QB
    Matt Hasselbeck 29 QB
    Bill Musgrave 29 QB
    Dennis Dixon 29 QB
    Jimmy Garoppolo 29 QB

In the end, I want to see Haskins succeed and this will be a good chance for him to. Dobbs still hasnt proven to be a #2 QB in the league and I dont know that he has much upside. He has his whole life to work as an engineer, so keep chasing the dream until the last door is closed. But the fact that he went to school for Aerospace Engineering doesnt mean anything on the field IMO.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The whole "rocket scientist smart" perception is overhyped. Its a chosen field of study, just like microbiology, chemical engineer or electrician. Below is a sampling of Wonderlic scores around the 29 that Josh Dobbs scored and its a mix of a lot of QB's.
    My score is a 42 so I guess that makes me a better quarterback than Dobbs!!

Maybe you can be a better rocket scientist. Let me know when we all get jet packs.

Ben might like you as the #3 QB, because you are even smarter than Dobbs. Better get an agent.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The whole "rocket scientist smart" perception is overhyped.
    Yep, and so are Wonderlic scores. Richard Sherman scored 24 on it (for comparison purposes, Roethlisberger scored 25), and he was his high school class' salutatorian and carried a 3.7 GPA at Stanford, so he's not exactly an idiot.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yep, and so are Wonderlic scores. Richard Sherman scored 24 on it (for comparison purposes, Roethlisberger scored 25), and he was his high school class' salutatorian and carried a 3.7 GPA at Stanford, so he's not exactly an idiot.

the thing about wonderlic scores that make it more difficult to judge about pure intelligence is this IMO

some folks can naturally multi task while others can not .....

that has nothing to do with intelligence levels its concentration levels and focus .....

if you can't multitask well you certainly will do less than your capabilities on the wonderlic in terms of the nfl setting where all those questions are being asked while you are performing other tasks ...

its not like you or me taking the test and we get the sample questions while sitting alone and can answer them without interruption ...

I am certain every one of them would do better if given the test as you or I would take it ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Ben's is 25 and Blaine Gabbert's is a 42...that's all i need to know about the applicability of this score to playing football

There's something called having instincts for the game that some QB's have and some don't, these instincts can't be quantified on a test. I wouldn't be surprised if Bradshaw's is even lower than Ben's.

anyway, tests are really not a true measure of intelligence, just measures how good you are at taking tests....

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Sure, there are math questions on the Wonderlic, so if a guy skipped a lot of math classes during his time in school, he may score low on them. Same too with other subjects.

The Wonderlic test is also timed, so if you struggle with a question and dont skip it, but waste your time trying to solve it, then you arent going to answer more questions that you can get points on. It does start easy and each group of 5 questions gets progressively more difficult, so honestly anybody scoring a 10 or 15 isnt that smart or isnt trying, but maybe they are a hell of a tackler and run a 4.4.

My point is that the whole "Josh Dobbs is a Rocket Scientist" so that intelligence must make him so much better at reading defenses, getting thru his reads and other QB mental skills...is false. Being a Rocket Scientist is a learned skill, just like an Auto Mechanic, Plumber, Accountant. The overall general intelligence and the ability to convey that intelligence in an urgent manner that the Wonderlic tests, isn't impressive for Dobbs, compared to Greg McIlroy, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Birk or Benjamin Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the thing about wonderlic scores that make it more difficult to judge about pure intelligence is this IMO

some folks can naturally multi task while others can not .....

that has nothing to do with intelligence levels its concentration levels and focus .....

if you can't multitask well you certainly will do less than your capabilities on the wonderlic in terms of the nfl setting where all those questions are being asked while you are performing other tasks ...

its not like you or me taking the test and we get the sample questions while sitting alone and can answer them without interruption ...

I am certain every one of them would do better if given the test as you or I would take it ...
    I'm a bit confused on how the Wonderlic Test is an exercise of multi tasking. Can you elaborate please?

When taking the Wonderlic, you sit down with the test. There are 50 questions and you have 12 minutes to complete it. It is normally administered in a quiet place, where there are no outside distractions, so that you can strictly focus on the test.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’ve taken a 6 minute/25 question wonderlic test at a Philadelphia Eagles event and it is just ordinary knowledge/IQ test type questions. It’s really nothing extraordinary for a college student.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I'm a bit confused on how the Wonderlic Test is an exercise of multi tasking. Can you elaborate please?

When taking the Wonderlic, you sit down with the test. There are 50 questions and you have 12 minutes to complete it. It is normally administered in a quiet place, where there are no outside distractions, so that you can strictly focus on the test.

perhaps I am mistaken but I read at some point that the tests was either being conducted or was under consideration of being conducted while doing other tasks to see how well you could process with other things going on ( maybe it was just an idea and the years confused them in my mind ) ...

either way it makes more sense to do it that way because the NFL is a fast moving game with lots of things happening around you all the while you are expected to make the proper read as a QB and make good decisions ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The test does not prove or disprove anything. It is a tool used to see how well and how fast you process general knowledge. I have taken it a couple times during job interviews. Once was for a cold call sales job, twice for jobs in my current field imaging patients. It's not a pass/fail type 'test' at all and scores are measured in ranges over numbers.

perhaps I am mistaken but I read at some point that the tests was either being conducted or was under consideration of being conducted while doing other tasks to see how well you could process with other things going on ( maybe it was just an idea and the years confused them in my mind ) ...

either way it makes more sense to do it that way because the NFL is a fast moving game with lots of things happening around you all the while you are expected to make the proper read as a QB and make good decisions ...
    You mean like have them take the test while there are naked women walking around the room?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

You mean like have them take the test while there are naked women walking around the room?

How do I arrange to take that test?

I cant see it being delivered while doing any other tasks. Its a timed test, so distraction from it by having to do something else at the same time would skew the results erratically. The test is designed to that its tough to get all 50 questions in the time allowed, so thats enough time pressure without having to do something else.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

depends on what those naked women look like.

Fish can’t climb trees.
    Pfft… stupid fish.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Fish can’t climb trees.
    Pfft… stupid fish.
    Obviously you never heard of the mudskipper.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ