Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And Terry Bradshaw's first 2 years were horrible. His record was 8-13. His TD/Int was 20 TD/ 46 Ints. His completion percentage was 48%. I'm not saying that he's the next Terry Bradshaw, but geez, some QBs need time to develop. And yeah Terry didn't get along with his coach either.

If you will watch Haskins' last two games of his rookie year in 2019, you'll see a lot more ability than you're giving him credit for. Neither Leaf or Russell have any tape where they played well.

That isn't what most here said of R3 Mason last year.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    That isn't what most here said of R3 Mason last year.
    I was on Mason's bandwagon until that Cleveland game. I'm somewhat back on... to a degree. TBH, I'd rather go into 2021 with MR than BR. That feels kind of sacrilegious, but Ben isn't taking us to the Promised Land and I'd rather find out what Rudolph can do in the last year of his contract - especially after some QB coaching and a better OC.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The signing is basically at the same risk level as when they sign a player like Tajh Boyd. Without the name “Dwayne Haskins” people run around shrugging their shoulders saying “camp arm”.

Doesn’t matter if Haskins is the spawn of Thanos and the 2018-19 Antonio Brown...the Steelers have little to no risk placing this guy on the roster. There is literally nothing to risk.
    Nailed it! Just like there was ZERO risk in signing Paxton Lynch, Barrett, Hodges, or the other "nameless grey faces" that they have cycled through off-season programs and training camps as UDFAs at the QB position.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I was on Mason's bandwagon until that Cleveland game. I'm somewhat back on... to a degree. TBH, I'd rather go into 2021 with MR than BR. That feels kind of sacrilegious, but Ben isn't taking us to the Promised Land and I'd rather find out what Rudolph can do in the last year of his contract - especially after some QB coaching and a better OC.
    What I meant was if most didn't give mason a chance being a R3 pick, they surely won't give Haskins any more slack being a R1 pick.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

What I meant was if most didn't give mason a chance being a R3 pick, they surely won't give Haskins any more slack being a R1 pick.
    Agreed, but if he doesnt show the upside that so many thought he had, its an easy cut. He was the epitome of lots of talent and upside, but raw...so probably wasnt a great pick at 15, given that several people thought he should sit a year or 2 behind somebody with experience to learn. Below is an assessment by Bruce Gradkowski of Haskins in 2019.

In the same article Todd Haley compares Haskins to Jacoby Brissett, says his deep ball accuracy wasnt great and thinks the best fit for him was a west coast system with progressions.

Haskins has the physical build and arm strength of an NFL franchise quarterback. He can withstand the pounding on a week in and week out basis. In a perfect world, I’d like to see him get drafted by a team where he can sit behind a starter for a year or two. If he gets the right opportunity with the right offensive system he could be a successful franchise quarterback. It would take a few years to learn their system and get the proper footwork and timing down.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/02/fi...ins-ohio-state

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    I believe pczach meant..... Haskin's immaturity. Not maturity.

Anyways, I believe Professional Sports in General really need to incorporate extensive Mental Health evaluations and testing of potential prospective players BEFORE they sign them.

The risks of getting a player that comes into your organization and creates chaos and destruction are way to high. Not only do Team owners risk massive financial losses, but damage to the other player's moral, spirit and team cohesiveness.

EXIHIBIT A: ANTONIO BROWN. Nuff said there. Huh !

Player's Mental Health have been taken for granted and grossly misunderstood for far too long. The time is passed for Organizations to finally take Mental Health seriously.

I would be for him "IF" the Steeler's had a real Mental Health Professional (Psychiatrist) do an Psychiatric evaluation on him. Hopefully, the Shrink would see if this kid is "ok" and HAD the real potential to work through his issues and become a productive member of the organization.

Mental Health issues are no fucking joke and are greatly misunderstood. The majority of people do have, have had or know somebody close to them that is suffering, has suffered from a variety of Mental Health issues.

Roughly 25% (I say a helluva a lot more) suffer from Anxiety and Panic attacks alone. Depression is very, very common in our society as well.

Terry Bradshaw suffered from Anxiety and Panic attacks during his playing days. A number of Steeler's have as well. I'm certain a lot more Professional players do as well.

Remember Limas Sweed ? The kid had amazing talent but he too suffered from Panic and Anxiety and it costs him his career. Remember how people used to dog the living shit out of him here and on other forums ?? Remember that ? Maybe even you busted the kid's balls. People who bully also suffer from a variety of Mental Health issues.

I sure hope Haskings gets help and is able to revitalize his career.

Remember Michael Vick ? His horrific crimes and actions were also a result of Mental Health issues. HE was able to be REHABBED and REDEEM himself. Look how he is doing. He also found Jesus along the way. Which is a HUGE step for anyone.

I was implying his level of maturity.

I don't think we know enough yet to think he has mental health issues. Let's just let the kid dive into it and see what he can do. Time reveals everything the team needs to know.

I hope he gives it his best shot and embraces his opportunity. It is in the best interest of both parties for him to succeed.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Why don’t we try mental health exams on cops and politicians first and then try them on men who play games for a living?
    Actually, they DO on Cops. I'm former LEO. Been through the vetting process. Don't know how I passed, by I DID ! LMAO !!

I do agree 100% Politicians should be vetted with Mental Health evaluations as well. It would eliminate those that are Malicious Narcissist and those with White Supremacy ideologies. I would expand, by I won't here. You get my point.

For players that are "playing a kid's game". That's great IF that was what all was at stake, but it isn't.

As I said before, look at the damage AB did to the Steeler's organization. All that could have been avoided had AB been promptly diagnosed and treated BEFORE he wrecked havoc. Wouldn't you agree ?

Same thing with this Haskins. Best to get him help RIGHT NOW.... BEFORE he steps foot into the Steeler's locker room. He's already demonstrated a multitude of examples of his mental/emotional health troubles. Far above a young buck's maturity.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I do agree 100% Politicians should be vetted with Mental Health evaluations as well. It would eliminate those that are Malicious Narcissist
    So you’re saying we need to start over from scratch?

As to LE, it’s not universal in approach. Some do and some don’t.

As to players, the only thing being protected is the owner’s money so really that’s their problem not mine.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN9mu4oTs5w

Now draft Dyami Brown in the 3rd/4th to go with his skillset and compliment with Claypool.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN9mu4oTs5w

Now draft Dyami Brown in the 3rd/4th to go with his skillset and compliment with Claypool.

He's got an arm, no question about that! A real TE is the missing piece.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

He's got an arm, no question about that! A real TE is the missing piece.
    do you like tight ends by any chance?

one of these years the Steelers won't break your heart

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    No doubt. BUT...assume Haskins wants to and does change in a similar manner that Ben did...then the only real difference is that it took Ben's mouth/ego longer to write checks his arm couldn't cash.

I am no big believer in Haskins. I wouldn't care if they didn't sign him. Nor do I really care that they did sign him. Just (with more than a little snark) pointing out that the idea that who and what Haskins is NOW is not certain what he could be LATER.
    here is my only issue with this ...

1 year deal.....

so here we have a dude who has supposedly ( rumored ) struggled learning the playbook either because he didnt put in the time or he isnt real sharp or some combination of both I really do not know or care to delve into it to make a proclamation of my own ... but signing him to a 1 year deal and straightening him out for some other team to reap the reward doesnt sound like a great idea to me .. why not sign him to same low $ deal with a second year fully guaranteed of 5 or 6 million if he was on the roster at end of camp of year 2 ?? that way if you " fix him" you have time to sign him to a deal long term instead of investing time and letting him walk

cancel that ... see the other posts on how the contract was worded now it all makes sense
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    here is my only issue with this ...

1 year deal.....

so here we have a dude who has supposedly ( rumored ) struggled learning the playbook either because he didnt put in the time or he isnt real sharp or some combination of both I really do not know or care to delve into it to make a proclamation of my own ... but signing him to a 1 year deal and straightening him out for some other team to reap the reward doesnt sound like a great idea to me .. why not sign him to same low $ deal with a second year fully guaranteed of 5 or 6 million if he was on the roster at end of camp of year 2 ?? that way if you " fix him" you have time to sign him to a deal long term instead of investing time and letting him walk

cancel that ... see the other posts on how the contract was worded now it all makes sense
    Do you realize that he'll only be a RFA at the end of that year and if another team signs him the Steelers get a 1st round pick? Does that change your thinking?

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

So you’re saying we need to start over from scratch?
    Not at all. Just start somewhere.

As to LE, it’s not universal in approach. Some do and some don’t.
    I have no idea what the Standards are, but I do know there are some.

The LE Community does really need to find a way to root out White Supremacists Cops. I've known a few. Not ALL Cops are good. I've personally known a couple BAD ones.

Bad, White Supremacist cops are the one's who are doing the Brutalizing. They make ALL Cops look bad. Police need to POLICE their own. Sooner the better.

As to players, the only thing being protected is the owner’s money so really that’s their problem not mine.
    Right. It is NOT our (the fans) problem at all. It's all on the Owners. Like you said, it's THEIR money at stake. I just wish they would do it to reduce the risk of more AB's fucking up NFL and taking away from US (the fans) enjoyment of the game.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Do you realize that he'll only be a RFA at the end of that year and if another team signs him the Steelers get a 1st round pick? Does that change your thinking?
    yes see the final line in that post ( the edit ) ....

makes all the difference in the world
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Haskins’ last two games as a rookie last year. Both games I watched. That’s why I’m more excited than most.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all. Just start somewhere.
    You have a higher opinion of politicians than I do.

You have a higher opinion of politicians than I do.
    That's nice.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Haskins Insider: 'He'll Make Throws That You'll See The $30 Million A Year Quarterbacks Make'

Washington Football Team Reporter Michael Phillips Joins The PM Team

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The FAN) - Not only did Michael Phillips tell us how great Dwayne Haskins talent is, he also cleared up what actually happened with Haskins and the strippers that got him in trouble with the Washington Football Team. Need we say more to get you to listen to the interview?

to listen to the interview:

https://www.radio.com/937thefan/spor...e-steelers-got

Source: Panthers offered Dwayne Haskins a contract. He chose the Steelers instead

BY ALAINA GETZENBERG
    JANUARY 21, 2021

Quarterback Dwayne Haskins visited with the Carolina Panthers first, but he has found a new home elsewhere. He has signed a one-year reserve/future contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers after a visit Thursday.

The Panthers previously had him in to meet with the team Jan. 11 and offered the quarterback a contract after the meeting,`per a source with direct knowledge of the situation. That meeting took place prior to the team hiring new general manager Scott Fitterer.

However, Haskins opted to go to Pittsburgh instead, and join a quarterback room that, as of now, includes Ben Roethlisberger. The future at quarterback for the Panthers remains unknown with the most established veteran, Teddy Bridgewater, not guaranteed the starting job in 2021.

Haskins, the 15th overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft out of Ohio State, was waived by Washington on Dec. 28, a day after the team’s 20-13 loss to the Panthers. He was benched in the fourth quarter of that game for former Carolina quarterback Taylor Heinicke.

While he went unclaimed on waivers, the Panthers were among several teams to express interest in the quarterback days after Washington had moved on from him.

In 16 games played over the past two years, Haskins completed 60.1% of his passes for 2,804 yards, 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He is 3-10 as a starter.

With Carolina holding the eighth overall pick, they will be out of contention for the top quarterbacks in this year’s draft unless they trade up. Matt Rhule and the Panthers’ staff will be coaching in this year’s Senior Bowl, which will give them additional opportunity to take a look at some of the quarterbacks that will be available later in the draft.

Team owner David Tepper said last month that quarterback is a position that will be evaluated this offseason.

“I think when you get to quarterbacks and NFL in general, you always want to try to figure out: Do you have the best that’s in the position ... right now?” Tepper said. “And that’s constant evaluation and re-evaluation of that. And that’s what we’ll constantly go through.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...#storylink=cpy

Alex Smith: ‘There Was A Lot Working Against’ Dwayne Haskins During 2 Years In Washington

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on January 24, 2021

I’m not sure where precisely on the list of things Pittsburgh Steelers fans love getting their hopes up about a high-pedigreed quarterback flyer with low or no risk might fall, but it often seems to be pretty high up there. The latest entry into the sage is Dwayne Haskins, a former 2019 first-round pick of the Washington Football Team.

The fact that he was such a recent draft pick and was available to be signed to a futures contract should certainly sent out alarm bells, but of course anybody who has watched him play understands that he has not exactly lived up to his draft pedigree.

Obviously, when you have a situation like this where such a high draft pick at such a significant position is made so readily available this early on in his career, it usually involves more than just on-field performance, and that is the case for Haskins.

Not that everyone has left his corner. His former teammate, fellow quarterback Alex Smith, is rooting for him, and understands that there may have been some things in his way that were at odds with him reaching a level of success in Washington.

“Certainly there was a lot working against him the last two years that didn’t allow him to reach his potential, because he’s a guy that’s crazy gifted. Crazy, crazy talented”, he said on the Yahoo Sports Podcast about Haskins.

“And he’s a good kid. My hope is certainly that—we all have different roads, different paths, and it takes different things for us to learn from and to grow—hopefully this can be one of those experiences for him that helps him get going to wherever he wants to go”.

I would imagine that similar things have been said about any number of young players with high pedigree who relatively quickly flamed out at their first opportunity. For every one who actually succeeds and flourishes with their second chance, who knows how many more never amount to what they were drafted to be?

Of course we’re dealing with people, not statistics, and whatever comes next for Haskins is theoretically within his control. Whatever he needs to work on, in both his professional and private lives, in order for him to give himself the opportunity to have the career that he wants to have for himself, he has the power to make that happen. And really, nobody else does.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/al...in-washington/

I appreciate Steelers Depot but they can get 10 articles out of one quote.

I appreciate Steelers Depot but they can get 10 articles out of one quote.
    especially that guy Matthew Marczi.

remember him? he used to post with us.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Dodens Grav

Wait, I meant: DODENS GRAV!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who was he?

He may be the worst writer of all time... not a fan at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Who was he?

I agree, he's also the most argumentative guy you have ever met. teegre and I would catch him defending both sides of the argument.

he posted under the name of DODENS GRAV, total prick.

I'm all for looking at various options and possibilities. In fact, four years ago I argued our front office should fain to keep an eye to stocking up on first round picks because this situation was coming. However, I'm not sure how I feel about reclamation projects when facing an imminent need for a QB.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I agree, he's also the most argumentative guy you have ever met. teegre and I would catch him defending both sides of the argument.

he posted under the name of DODENS GRAV, total prick.
    Remember that day that you & I we discussing Mike Wallace, and Dodens Grav did something to piss us off. So, we bumped every single Mike Wallace thread to the first page... and when Dodens Grav logged back on, hes went ballistic. Good times.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Who was he?

Agreed.

BUT...in his defense, he clearly has the WORST job at Steelers Depot. He is the guy who has to turn out X amount of new content per day to ensure the site is getting enough clicks to stay afloat. So no matter what, he has to put up a certain amount of content. That has got to be tough. Especially when the rest of the staff appears to have exclusive rights to film breakdown, scouting, and salary cap stuff. Take that away, and dude does not have a great deal to work with to create content out of thin air and speculation.

That being said...his stuff is not good and it could be far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Agreed.

BUT...in his defense, he clearly has the WORST job at Steelers Depot. He is the guy who has to turn out X amount of new content per day to ensure the site is getting enough clicks to stay afloat. So no matter what, he has to put up a certain amount of content. That has got to be tough. Especially when the rest of the staff appears to have exclusive rights to film breakdown, scouting, and salary cap stuff. Take that away, and dude does not have a great deal to work with to create content out of thin air and speculation.

That being said...his stuff is not good and it could be far better.
    How could it be too hard?? We pump out new and exciting content here 24 hours a day!!

And by the way, film content is part of the gamepass package for $99 a year. You get the all 22 of every game within a few hours.

How could it be too hard?? We pump out new and exciting content here 24 hours a day!!

And by the way, film content is part of the gamepass package for $99 a year. You get the all 22 of every game within a few hours.
    True! I meant that they sent to divvy up types of content at Steelers Depot and Marczi doesn't seem to every get deputed to breakdown film.