Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Haven't really seen this kid play. Any upside to his talent?
    He was a 1 year starter at Ohio State. Scouts gave some pro comparisons to Dante Culpepper and Jacoby Brissett. An early entry Junior from College, who many thought would need time to mature and sit behind a starter to learn and mature. Washington had injuries and threw him in right away as a rookie, where some think was a bad situation for him.

Lewis Riddick from ESPN, who is a former player, scout and currently seen as a future GM in the league had stated that he thought Haskins was the best QB talent in the draft, ahead of Kyler Murray and Tua Tagaviloa. Size, arm strength, good mobility but not a running QB. He just needed time to learn and develop. Now he may get his chance.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I was supportive of the Paxton Lynch signing and feel similarly about the Haskins signing. They are basically a similar profile. Some college tape and scouting reports that indicate they could be really successful at the NFL level. NFL tape and scouting reports to indicate that their work ethic or mental capabilities are preventing that physical talent from showing up on the field.

For the relatively paltry cap $$$ amount and essentially zero risk nature of the move...why not? Worst case scenario, Haskins looks awful at all stages between now and summer of 2021. Then just cut him loose.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    He was a 1 year starter at Ohio State. Scouts gave some pro comparisons to Dante Culpepper and Jacoby Brissett. An early entry Junior from College, who many thought would need time to mature and sit behind a starter to learn and mature. Washington had injuries and threw him in right away as a rookie, where some think was a bad situation for him.

Lewis Riddick from ESPN, who is a former player, scout and currently seen as a future GM in the league had stated that he thought Haskins was the best QB talent in the draft, ahead of Kyler Murray and Tua Tagaviloa. Size, arm strength, good mobility but not a running QB. He just needed time to learn and develop. Now he may get his chance.

interesting considering he was not even in the same draft class as Tua ...

it was Kyer , Daniel Jones , Haskins in the 2019 draft Tua didnt turn pro till the 2020 draft
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    interesting considering he was not even in the same draft class as Tua ...

it was Kyer , Daniel Jones , Haskins in the 2019 draft Tua didnt turn pro till the 2020 draft
    Yeah, my mistake. Here is what Riddick thought of Haskins 2 years ago.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Haskins is a weird dude.

He is not angry. He is not an a$$hole. By all accounts, he is friendly and respectful.

But, when asked to learn the playbook, he was like, "Naaaah, I'll pass."
    This was the one QB I was hoping the Steelers would avoid. Sorry but this guy has a bad foundation. In the short run he may be able to renovate what is on top and be the good student and do something spectacular now and then but as soon he tastes any success his ego will take over and laziness will soon follow. I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong and if I am wrong - I will be happy because the Steelers would have a legitimate talent for cheap. But I don’t think I am wrong. This dude is a bad egg.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    This was the one QB I was hoping the Steelers would avoid. Sorry but this guy has a bad foundation. In the short run he may be able to renovate what is on top and be the good student and do something spectacular now and then but as soon he tastes any success his ego will take over and laziness will soon follow. I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong and if I am wrong - I will be happy because the Steelers would have a legitimate talent for cheap. But I don’t think I am wrong. This dude is a bad egg.
    No problem, Steelers have lots of money. Ask Cortez Allen and Ladarius Green.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Steelers obviously had him rated high on their draft board in 2019.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yeah, my mistake. Here is what Riddick thought of Haskins 2 years ago.

Wow! I’m even more excited after listening to Riddick rave about Haskins.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

they’re proactive, not sure how anyone could be against giving the kid second chance. its not like he decked his girlfriend in elevator or choked her out. If he doesn’t put the time in and progress he’s gone, Josh Allen didn’t exactly light it up right away either. I like move whether it Haskins, Rosen, Darnold or Winston. Tomlin realizes The current depth chart has room for improvement, now we need to clean house on RB depth chart.

- - - Updated - - -

bringing guy in hardly means he’s given roster spot, he’ll have to earn it.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

This team has been a magnet for poor attitude players and under Tomlin this kid won't disappoint. At this point I believe every single Ex Steeler player who says the locker room is completely out of control. I agree with Cubanstogie about the fact that just because they bring him in doesn't mean he will earn a roster spot, it just seems like a worthless addition.

sure - I don’t mind a second chance - but I don’t like what he did with the first chance. He probably has more god given ability than most of current NFL QBs but what is between his head is what bothers me. To go to Ohio St and then be a #1 round draft pick and be an NFL starter and we are still talking about “needing to mature”?!?!

i can’t think of one successful NFL QB who led a team to the SB win because he became more “mature” in his head. There were many who overcame injuries and persevered with bad teams but they all had good leadership skills, perseverance and were not head cases like Haskins. We are wishing on a lottery ticket with this kid. When Ron Rivera gave up on him - he knew what he was doing. We should be doing the same
    - - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I mean I know he didn't change teams but I feel like there were TONS of reports on Ben needing to grow up.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I mean I know he didn't change teams but I feel like there were TONS of reports on Ben needing to grow up.
    Ben banked a lot of equity his first two years. Going to AFCCG game his first years and winning the SB his second. There was never a doubt that he wanted to play. With Haskins I’m not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Ben banked a lot of equity his first two years. Going to AFCCG game his first years and winning the SB his second. There was never a doubt that he wanted to play. With Haskins I’m not sure.
    No doubt. BUT...assume Haskins wants to and does change in a similar manner that Ben did...then the only real difference is that it took Ben's mouth/ego longer to write checks his arm couldn't cash.

I am no big believer in Haskins. I wouldn't care if they didn't sign him. Nor do I really care that they did sign him. Just (with more than a little snark) pointing out that the idea that who and what Haskins is NOW is not certain what he could be LATER.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

sure - I don’t mind a second chance - but I don’t like what he did with the first chance. He probably has more god given ability than most of current NFL QBs but what is between his head is what bothers me. To go to Ohio St and then be a #1 round draft pick and be an NFL starter and we are still talking about “needing to mature”?!?!

i can’t think of one successful NFL QB who led a team to the SB win because he became more “mature” in his head. There were many who overcame injuries and persevered with bad teams but they all had good leadership skills, perseverance and were not head cases like Haskins. We are wishing on a lottery ticket with this kid. When Ron Rivera gave up on him - he knew what he was doing. We should be doing the same
    - - - Updated - - -
    the odds of him being franchise QB are not good I’ll admit. but having a fire lit under your ass and having Tomlin as motivator could be what this kid needs. At worst he still beats Dobbs on talent and is third string.obviously his attitude and devotion to football will have to get better to get a roster spot. Low risk, we’ll see if reward pans out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    sure but you don’t see guys like Rivers, Brees, Brady Manning and many others riding motorcycle without helmet while under contract for millions of dollars. Ben was a big time meat head. I do think he’s matured immensely.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here's an interesting tidbit...

Let's say Haskins balls out. Yee-haw!!!... good signing!!! But wait, he is only under contract for one year. Oh no!!!... he is going to sign with another team. Well, the way that this contract was structured, we can offer him his original tender and receive a R1 pick if someone else signs him.

SUMMATION:
    Worst case: he costs us nothing
    Best case: he plays well enough for us to get a R1 pick as compensation
    Fantasy case: he becomes our franchise QB

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here's an interesting tidbit...

Let's say Haskins balls out. Yee-haw!!!... good signing!!! But wait, he is only under contract for one year. Oh no!!!... he is going to sign with another team. Well, the way that this contract was structured, we can offer him his original tender and receive a R1 pick if someone else signs him.

SUMMATION:
    Worst case: he costs us nothing
    Best case: he plays well enough for us to get a R1 pick as compensation
    Fantasy case: he becomes our franchise QB
    QB speculation should be the business all NFL teams are in. Few are. I'd roster about 5-6 every off season and see what happens.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Alex Smith hopeful Dwayne Haskins can eliminate distractions

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 21, 2021

USA TODAY Sports

If Dwayne Haskins is going to become a successful NFL quarterback, Alex Smith says he needs to eliminate the distractions keeping him from reaching his potential on the field.

In an interview with Charles Robinson and Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports, Smith said his former Washington teammate is “crazy talented” but needed to cut out the stuff outside the game that is limiting his potential within it.

“The first thing I hope with Dwayne — and I’ve told him this — is you don’t have a chance until you’ve eliminated a lot of the distractions going on in your life,” Smith said, via Ethan Cadeaux of NBC Sports Washington. “It’s hard as a young player, as a young draft pick, certainly as a quarterback thrust with a lot of weight and expectations.”

Haskins flamed out with Washington prior to the end of his second season with the team. A first-round pick in 2019, Haskins drew criticism for his preparation and twice violated procedures related to COVID-19 this season. The second violation, which came with Haskins throwing a party for his girlfriend after a loss to the Seattle Seahawks when he’d made his first start in over two months, was ultimately the final straw for his time in Washington.

Haskins signed a one-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday.

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-distractions/

If Haskins was coming out in the draft in 2021 instead of 2019 and he'd just had the same season at Ohio State that he had in 2018 and he was sitting there at #24 we'd all be jacked up to take him. Well, he had 13 games for a bad organization and did things unprofessionally. If -- IF -- he's learned from those mistakes, we might have just had an incredible break. It's extremely low risk and potentially extremely high reward. I watched a handful of his games at WSH, especially the last few of his rookie year and I could see the makings of a legit NFL starter. Things went wrong. But one man's trash is another man's treasure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    QB speculation should be the business all NFL teams are in. Few are. I'd roster about 5-6 every off season and see what happens.
    Me too!!! Always looking for the next Kurt Warner (UFA), Tom Brady (R6), or Joe Montana (R3)...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

So we welcome AB back at the QB position ? I'm cool with it but hope this doesn't mean they won't look at QB in this draft. Dang it draft Mac Jones and we are good for 15 years. That said he maybe worth the gamble for next to nothing.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Maturity is something that doesn’t magically spring up overnight. Paxton Lynch had a similar maturity problem and he still couldn’t break off the practice squad.

I see Haskins staying a headache For a little bit.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

From the perspective of purely throwing the football, this kid can spin it. He has a great arm, and he has good accuracy. He can flat-out throw the ball.

He isn't the mobile/running QB some people here seem to want. He is more of a typical drop back passer.

I loved his talent, but feared his one year as a starter at Ohio State, and his maturity.

I can't stand when you hear a guy isn't willing to do the work.....but this guy is worth a shot to try to rehab his career. He has a chance to be really good if he completely buys in and wants to be great.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    From the perspective of purely throwing the football, this kid can spin it. He has a great arm, and he has good accuracy. He can flat-out throw the ball.

He isn't the mobile/running QB some people here seem to want. He is more of a typical drop back passer.

I loved his talent, but feared his one year as a starter at Ohio State, and his maturity.

I can't stand when you hear a guy isn't willing to do the work.....but this guy is worth a shot to try to rehab his career. He has a chance to be really good if he completely buys in and wants to be great.

He's got the chance of a life time with Ben retiring either this year or next. He can put his toys away or trash it and join Manziel and Lynch in romper room.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

I believe pczach meant..... Haskin's immaturity. Not maturity.

Anyways, I believe Professional Sports in General really need to incorporate extensive Mental Health evaluations and testing of potential prospective players BEFORE they sign them.

The risks of getting a player that comes into your organization and creates chaos and destruction are way to high. Not only do Team owners risk massive financial losses, but damage to the other player's moral, spirit and team cohesiveness.

EXIHIBIT A: ANTONIO BROWN. Nuff said there. Huh !

Player's Mental Health have been taken for granted and grossly misunderstood for far too long. The time is passed for Organizations to finally take Mental Health seriously.

I would be for him "IF" the Steeler's had a real Mental Health Professional (Psychiatrist) do an Psychiatric evaluation on him. Hopefully, the Shrink would see if this kid is "ok" and HAD the real potential to work through his issues and become a productive member of the organization.

Mental Health issues are no fucking joke and are greatly misunderstood. The majority of people do have, have had or know somebody close to them that is suffering, has suffered from a variety of Mental Health issues.

Roughly 25% (I say a helluva a lot more) suffer from Anxiety and Panic attacks alone. Depression is very, very common in our society as well.

Terry Bradshaw suffered from Anxiety and Panic attacks during his playing days. A number of Steeler's have as well. I'm certain a lot more Professional players do as well.

Remember Limas Sweed ? The kid had amazing talent but he too suffered from Panic and Anxiety and it costs him his career. Remember how people used to dog the living shit out of him here and on other forums ?? Remember that ? Maybe even you busted the kid's balls. People who bully also suffer from a variety of Mental Health issues.

I sure hope Haskings gets help and is able to revitalize his career.

Remember Michael Vick ? His horrific crimes and actions were also a result of Mental Health issues. HE was able to be REHABBED and REDEEM himself. Look how he is doing. He also found Jesus along the way. Which is a HUGE step for anyone.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Why don’t we try mental health exams on cops and politicians first and then try them on men who play games for a living?

Read this somewhere.

Ryan Leaf - lasted 21 games
    Jamarcus Russell - lasted 31 games

Haskins - lasted 16 games before team gave up on him

I bet if we took in Ryan Leaf or DeMarcus Russell - steeler fans would be squealing with anticipation of having a glorious former top first round QB in the house. Whatever ... enjoy the what ifs now as that is the only benefit people get with buying a lottery ticket.

doesn’t hurt to have him? - I personally would have wanted the Steelers to pursue Trubisky. I think he may benefit from a better system and better WRs but if signing Haskins deters that - then yes, I think it could hurt us. Opportunity cost.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The signing is basically at the same risk level as when they sign a player like Tajh Boyd. Without the name “Dwayne Haskins” people run around shrugging their shoulders saying “camp arm”.

Doesn’t matter if Haskins is the spawn of Thanos and the 2018-19 Antonio Brown...the Steelers have little to no risk placing this guy on the roster. There is literally nothing to risk.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I honestly don't expect Haskins to do anything here. I just hope he keeps his head down and doesn't cause any problems. He reminds me of a couple other signings for whom I predict he will follow the same trajectory of

One is Paxton Lynch, the former Bronco 1st round pick with loads of talents but didn't do anything. He doesn't even play

Another is Justin Gilbert who I am sure most people forgotten about. A disaster of a draft pick for the Browns taken in the same round as Johnny Football, they traded for Gilbert for a 6th round pick (which was still too expensive) at the end of preseason 2016. Gilbert was athletically gifted but had character issues and didn't display any ability to play NFL football in 2 years with the Browns. In the end he barely played and was gone after a year

Read this somewhere.

Ryan Leaf - lasted 21 games
    Jamarcus Russell - lasted 31 games

Haskins - lasted 16 games before team gave up on him

I bet if we took in Ryan Leaf or DeMarcus Russell - steeler fans would be squealing with anticipation of having a glorious former top first round QB in the house. Whatever ... enjoy the what ifs now as that is the only benefit people get with buying a lottery ticket.

doesn’t hurt to have him? - I personally would have wanted the Steelers to pursue Trubisky. I think he may benefit from a better system and better WRs but if signing Haskins deters that - then yes, I think it could hurt us. Opportunity cost.
    And Terry Bradshaw's first 2 years were horrible. His record was 8-13. His TD/Int was 20 TD/ 46 Ints. His completion percentage was 48%. I'm not saying that he's the next Terry Bradshaw, but geez, some QBs need time to develop. And yeah Terry didn't get along with his coach either.

If you will watch Haskins' last two games of his rookie year in 2019, you'll see a lot more ability than you're giving him credit for. Neither Leaf or Russell have any tape where they played well.