Thread: Report: Steelers To Hire New Offensive Line Coach Before Naming New Offensive Coordinator

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Steelers To Hire New Offensive Line Coach Before Naming New Offensive Coordinator

The Pittsburgh Steelers have yet to name their new offensive coordinator as of Wednesday afternoon despite multiple reports this weekend stating that the team will promote quarterbacks coach Matt Canada to the position. While Canada still seems like the favorite to succeed Randy Fichtner following his contract not being renewed this offseason, the team isn’t likely to announce who their new offensive coordinator will be until a new offensive line coach has been hired, according to a Wednesday report.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/re...e-coordinator/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Report: Steelers To Hire New Offensive Line Coach Before Naming New Offensive Coordinator

Who else have they interviewed for OC besides O Canada?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Report: Steelers To Hire New Offensive Line Coach Before Naming New Offensive Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Who else have they interviewed for OC besides O Canada?
    Some guy named Fandy Ritchner.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You guys probably read and listen to the same Steelers stuff I do. Who brought up Doug Marrone for the OL coach spot? Seems Saban beat us to it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quite a staff Saban is putting together.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Alabama probably pays their assistants more than the Steelers do.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Alabama probably pays their assistants more than the Steelers do.
    Their player salary cap is slightly lower than the Steelers. I think by a couple million. This gives them more to spend on coaches.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Their player salary cap is slightly lower than the Steelers. I think by a couple million. This gives them more to spend on coaches.

wouldn't you want your new OC to have some input into the OL coach that's going to work in his system?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

wouldn't you want your new OC to have some input into the OL coach that's going to work in his system?
    That’s what I was thinking.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Canada probably already has his guy. Wants the Steelers to hire him before he will agree to be the OC. ???

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

That name sounds oddly familiar, but I can't place him.....

I hear they are also interviewing Tike Momlin for DC.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Of ousted retreads looking to rehab their value so they can climb back on the NFL coaching carousel peddling the EXACT same ideas that helped them flame out before.

Sure, they'll beat the snot out of the SEC and a few non-conference opponents. But so what?

EDIT: That read far more combative than I meant it to be! I actually agree that it is an all-star staff...but....I (and this is only my weirdo brain) just can't seem to care. Like what is any of these guys going to learn from beating the snot out of mostly overmatched NCAA squads that would allow them to be improved NFL coaches next time around?

I just don't understand why, with all the coaches out in the world, the NCAA and the NFL just keep coming up with the same answers over and over again to the "coaching question".
    Last edited by Mojouw; 01-20-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I just don't understand why, with all the coaches out in the world, the NCAA and the NFL just keep coming up with the same answers over and over again to the "coaching question".
    When it comes to coordinators and position coaches I think it makes sense. Many coaches are not suited to be HC but when going back to their support role excel. Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, et al.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

When it comes to coordinators and position coaches I think it makes sense. Many coaches are not suited to be HC but when going back to their support role excel. Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, et al.
    That is a good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Good news, I heard he was a real innovative offensive genius

he sure looks like it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

RITCHNER: Double-reverse into a backwards pass to the tackle eligible receiver... no blocking on that side... on three.

TOMLIN: Shut up, Randy.

RITCHNER: It’s Fandy... Fandy Ritchner.

TOMLIN: Uh huh...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Canada is no Norv Turner. He's very under qualified for this job. There's an article on the web by Mark Madden. I can't disagree with it.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...n-of-insanity/
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

he sure looks like it.

That's Larry the Cable Guy

EDIT: Sorry for the insult Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Canada is no Norv Turner. He's very under qualified for this job. There's an article on the web by Mark Madden. I can't disagree with it.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...n-of-insanity/
    There are two rules in life:

1) Never engage in a land battle with Asia.

2) Never cite Mark Madden as a reference.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

There are two rules in life:

1) Never engage in a land battle with Asia.

2) Never cite Mark Madden as a reference.
    I’m glad you said it before I did.

PFF Final 2020 offensive line rankings

13. DETROIT LIONS

Another year, another season of improved play from Frank Ragnow, who is asserting himself as one of the league’s top young interior offensive linemen. His 80.3 PFF grade in 2020 ranked second at the center position, and it came behind career-high grades both in pass protection and as a run-blocker. The fact that he played through a fractured throat late in the season only adds to the notion that this is a guy you don’t want to mess with in the trenches.

There were shuffling pieces along the line this season, but the play from both Ragnow and left tackle Taylor Decker (82.0 PFF grade) fresh off a contract extension this offseason helped stabilize the group. The Lions will be hoping for a second-year jump for Jonah Jackson at guard in 2021 to help take the unit to the next level.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2...-line-rankings

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

PFF Final 2020 offensive line rankings

13. DETROIT LIONS

Another year, another season of improved play from Frank Ragnow, who is asserting himself as one of the league’s top young interior offensive linemen. His 80.3 PFF grade in 2020 ranked second at the center position, and it came behind career-high grades both in pass protection and as a run-blocker. The fact that he played through a fractured throat late in the season only adds to the notion that this is a guy you don’t want to mess with in the trenches.

There were shuffling pieces along the line this season, but the play from both Ragnow and left tackle Taylor Decker (82.0 PFF grade) fresh off a contract extension this offseason helped stabilize the group. The Lions will be hoping for a second-year jump for Jonah Jackson at guard in 2021 to help take the unit to the next level.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2...-line-rankings

I didn't see anything after reading "fractured throat".