Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia vs Ukraine

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Russia vs Ukraine

I'm surprised a thread hasn't been made about this yet. In any case I didn't think it'd ever get this bad. China also starting to chest up and start military exercises near Taiwan again. WW3? I hope not but it's sure looking like it's heading in that direction.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Re: Russia vs Ukraine

oddly enough, unlike other wars of recent years ,there is very little combat footage coming out.
    since the media is telling us Russia is the bad guys here, i'm inclined to believe the opposite is true. the Ukraine is a cesspool of corruption where the worlds elite launder their ill gotten money.

Last edited by Orion; 02-26-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

At least this clears up any doubts about whether Putin is a crazy megalomaniac. I'd always thought he was a pretty lousy person, but never thought he'd be brazen enough to pull a stunt like this. When it's through, it will be interesting to see whether the response from the rest of the world is anything that actually matters, or the equivalent of a strongly worded letter from the homeowners' association, which has sort of become the speciality of the pussified Western world.

I once heard it said by a former Soviet military commander that it made sense to be afraid of their nukes, but the Russian army was a joke, a complete illusion. Seems like that may still have some truth to it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    At least this clears up any doubts about whether Putin is a crazy megalomaniac. I'd always thought he was a pretty lousy person, but never thought he'd be brazen enough to pull a stunt like this. When it's through, it will be interesting to see whether the response from the rest of the world is anything that actually matters, or the equivalent of a strongly worded letter from the homeowners' association, which has sort of become the speciality of the pussified Western world.

I once heard it said by a former Soviet military commander that it made sense to be afraid of their nukes, but the Russian army was a joke, a complete illusion. Seems like that may still have some truth to it.
    Totally agree. I always thought he was a POS but I didn't see this coming. It seems that the EU wants to ban Russia from the SWIFT banking system, which Putin said he'd consider that to be an act of war. Probably heading that way unfortunately.

About the Russian military, that's not all that surprising to me. They use the threat of nukes too often to make me believe that they have faith in their military to take on the US or NATO. At least in my opinion, if you have enough confidence in your military to win a conventional war, there'd be no need to threaten to use the red button.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Totally agree. I always thought he was a POS but I didn't see this coming. It seems that the EU wants to ban Russia from the SWIFT banking system, which Putin said he'd consider that to be an act of war. Probably heading that way unfortunately.

About the Russian military, that's not all that surprising to me. They use the threat of nukes too often to make me believe that they have faith in their military to take on the US or NATO. At least in my opinion, if you have enough confidence in your military to win a conventional war, there'd be no need to threaten to use the red button.
    I just hope Putin isn't crazy enough to actually push the button if he feels cornered. Because most of the ways this could play out put him right behind the 8-ball. A couple weeks ago I wouldn't have thought he was nuts enough, but now it seems like anything is suddenly on the table.

I think he made a huge miscalculation - just expected to roll in and win without firing a shot, and the rest of the world to kind of throw up their hands and say what can we do, it's already over, and eventually to just forget about it. But once that didn't happen, now he's going against a bunch of pissed-off Eastern Europeans who are dug in for a fight to the death, and it's ugly, and it's earned him universal condemnation. Clearly Russia isn't likely to win a conventional war if other world powers step in. And from the look of it, the war is even hugely unpopular in Russia and the morale of the army is shit. No matter which way the fighting goes, Russia is going to get frozen out by most of the world and it'll crash their economy, and people will be angry. Where does that leave him? Like I said, I hope he's not mental enough to say "if I'm gonna go down, I'm taking you with me."

Probably the best thing that could happen is if some crazy Ivan sees it coming and decides to take him out of the picture themselves. Military, secret police, mafia - doesn't really matter which. That would be the one thing that would probably instantly defuse everything, and whoever did it would be a hero.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Scary times. Desperate for a leader with real brass?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I just hope Putin isn't crazy enough to actually push the button if he feels cornered. Because most of the ways this could play out put him right behind the 8-ball. A couple weeks ago I wouldn't have thought he was nuts enough, but now it seems like anything is suddenly on the table.

I think he made a huge miscalculation - just expected to roll in and win without firing a shot, and the rest of the world to kind of throw up their hands and say what can we do, it's already over, and eventually to just forget about it. But once that didn't happen, now he's going against a bunch of pissed-off Eastern Europeans who are dug in for a fight to the death, and it's ugly, and it's earned him universal condemnation. Clearly Russia isn't likely to win a conventional war if other world powers step in. And from the look of it, the war is even hugely unpopular in Russia and the morale of the army is shit. No matter which way the fighting goes, Russia is going to get frozen out by most of the world and it'll crash their economy, and people will be angry. Where does that leave him? Like I said, I hope he's not mental enough to say "if I'm gonna go down, I'm taking you with me."

Probably the best thing that could happen is if some crazy Ivan sees it coming and decides to take him out of the picture themselves. Military, secret police, mafia - doesn't really matter which. That would be the one thing that would probably instantly defuse everything, and whoever did it would be a hero.
    This morning’s headline, “Putin Puts nuclear forces on high alert”. What does that even mean? He doesn’t have any support, and after that clip of the girl dying ……I talked to a good friend of mine from Scotland, and he said, “Nothing one bullet won’t fix”. Just as long as China doesn’t team up with them.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

We’re a little concerned, because we are a little less than a 100 miles from the largest naval base in the world, and there are currently two carrier groups in port. We’ve always said, if the US was attacked, Norfolk Naval base, and Oceana would be first targets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    oddly enough, unlike other wars of recent years ,there is very little combat footage coming out.
    since the media is telling us Russia is the bad guys here, i'm inclined to believe the opposite is true. the Ukraine is a cesspool of corruption where the worlds elite launder their ill gotten money.

I guess you can believe whatever you want to.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Putin's fragile little ego and general insanity may drive him to push the red button.

He and his regime have been waging a disinformation campaign for several years now to make Russian followers of their state news outlets believe that there is a Nazification of Ukraine and that would be his justification for invading a sovereign country that is not an aggressor to Russia. Its been a calculated and planned out move and he was always going to try and take over Ukraine. The Russian foreign minister recently threatened that Finland and Sweden should not join NATO either, so it would appear the Finland would be the next target.

Putin is trying to cement his legacy in history as a great Russian leader that took back the territory of the USSR and I think he is more afraid of being labeled a failure and loser than he is of killing thousands of people.

Peace talks happening in Belarus, it's progress. Hopefully the Ruble crashing and their stock market which has gone down 60% since this all started is making some rich people in high positions over there upset, telling putin to end this madness

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Peace talks happening in Belarus, it's progress. Hopefully the Ruble crashing and their stock market which has gone down 60% since this all started is making some rich people in high positions over there upset, telling putin to end this madness
    Nobody is going to tell Putin what to do. If they do oppose him, they get poisoned by something radioactive called polonium 210.

This hockey game where Putin scores 8 goals and nobody dares to check him is pretty much how he rolls. It will take an entire country to revolt and something to the degree of a Roman type betrayal of somebody close to him, in order to oust him. The Belarus President is another dictator in Putin's pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Nobody is going to tell Putin what to do. If they do oppose him, they get poisoned by something radioactive called polonium 210.

This hockey game where Putin scores 8 goals and nobody dares to check him is pretty much how he rolls. It will take an entire country to revolt and something to the degree of a Roman type betrayal of somebody close to him, in order to oust him. The Belarus President is another dictator in Putin's pocket.

lol that hockey game was sad, the goalie was doing his best to get away from the puck

While he has a stranglehold on his country, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets assassinated or overthrown. Can't underestimate a bunch of rich oligarchs who are pissed from just losing over 60% of their wealth due to his actions.

lol that hockey game was sad, the goalie was doing his best to get away from the puck

While he has a stranglehold on his country, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets assassinated or overthrown. Can't underestimate a bunch of rich oligarchs who are pissed from just losing over 60% of their wealth due to his actions.
    Yeah, maybe. but I dont think that a lot of crazy dictators, who kill off those that oppose them, are the kind of guys that let anybody near them, who isnt deeply loyal.

Vladimir Klitschko signed up and volunteered for the Ukrainian Army to fight against the Russians for invading his homeland. He has an estimated net worth of $90million, but has chosen to fight, rather than flee the country. Much respect for him and his countrymen.

I cant believe there are Americans that side with Putin and Russia on this and dont condemn the actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Have you ever stopped to ask why this disinformation has been spun to you right now? At a time when over 352 people have been killed in Ukraine, with 14 children among the dead??

Go ahead Comrade, do some thinking for yourself instead of just eating up disinformation that pushes a thought pattern that you want to believe.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Have you ever stopped to ask why this disinformation has been spun to you right now? At a time when over 352 people have been killed in Ukraine, with 14 children among the dead??

Go ahead Comrade, do some thinking for yourself instead of just eating up disinformation that pushes a thought pattern that you want to believe.
    I’m sure Victor Pinchuk is a stand up guy and all accusations are false. Nothing to see here. Lol, someone hit a nerve. So nice of the Ukrainian billionaire to donate to Hillary. I’m sure he wasn’t expecting anything in return. Some will overlook all foreign BS , unless Trump is involved. Hypocrisy!

One can only hope that if it goes too far, even those closest to him will turn against him. For example, if he gives the order to launch nukes, the ones responsible for actually carrying out the order say "no." At some point, your loyalty, your professionalism, even your regard for your own safety is not worth being the one who brought nuclear war back to the world.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I’m sure Victor Pinchuk is a stand up guy and all accusations are false. Nothing to see here. Lol, someone hit a nerve. So nice of the Ukrainian billionaire to donate to Hillary. I’m sure he wasn’t expecting anything in return. Some will overlook all foreign BS , unless Trump is involved. Hypocrisy!
    I will do you one better. Look up Canadian Billionaire Frank Guistra and see how his donations to the Clinton foundation, make $8 million from Pinchuk look like a drop in the bucket. Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation Amid Russian Uranium Deal - The New York Times (nytimes.com) Some have Guistra at over $100 million to the Clinton Foundation.

We can look up how Mitch McConnell has amassed a $35 million net worth on the annual wage of a state senator and see how that happened.

This isnt about wealthy businessmen, lining the pockets of politicians and getting access to business dealings in their country and others. That stuff happens all over with Conservatives and Democrats. Lets not kid ourselves.

The facts are that Putin has ordered an invasion of another sovereign nation, killing innocent people and their children.

The parroting of some right wing misrepresented talking point that tries to label a steel magnate as the Ukranian government, just to discredit somebody that lost an election 6 years ago is just more evidence of the brainwashing of the simple minded and the disregard for human life. People need to start thinking for themselves and not just repeating what Maggie Greene, Tucker Carlson, etc feed them for info.

One can only hope that if it goes too far, even those closest to him will turn against him. For example, if he gives the order to launch nukes, the ones responsible for actually carrying out the order say "no." At some point, your loyalty, your professionalism, even your regard for your own safety is not worth being the one who brought nuclear war back to the world.
    As much as you and I disagree on several fronts, I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment and statement.

I generally dont overreact to a lot of things, but Putin really concerns me. I think he is somebody that may use nuclear weapons and probably thinks Stalin was soft, in comparison to himself.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I will do you one better. Look up Canadian Billionaire Frank Guistra and see how his donations to the Clinton foundation, make $8 million from Pinchuk look like a drop in the bucket. Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation Amid Russian Uranium Deal - The New York Times (nytimes.com) Some have Guistra at over $100 million to the Clinton Foundation.

We can look up how Mitch McConnell has amassed a $35 million net worth on the annual wage of a state senator and see how that happened.

This isnt about wealthy businessmen, lining the pockets of politicians and getting access to business dealings in their country and others. That stuff happens all over with Conservatives and Democrats. Lets not kid ourselves.

The facts are that Putin has ordered an invasion of another sovereign nation, killing innocent people and their children.

The parroting of some right wing misrepresented talking point that tries to label a steel magnate as the Ukranian government, just to discredit somebody that lost an election 6 years ago is just more evidence of the brainwashing of the simple minded and the disregard for human life. People need to start thinking for themselves and not just repeating what Maggie Greene, Tucker Carlson, etc feed them for info.
    As much as you and I disagree on several fronts, I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment and statement.

I generally dont overreact to a lot of things, but Putin really concerns me. I think he is somebody that may use nuclear weapons and probably thinks Stalin was soft, in comparison to himself.
    Putin didnt concern anyone while Trump was leader. Hmmm. Except for Romney who was laughed at by Obama. You can thank sleepy Joe for another atrocity. I really didn’t think he could be this bad. It’s actually amazing how bad he’s phucked up everything he’s touched. You non Trump voters got what you deserved, unfortunately the smarter voters are brought down with you all.

disinformation campaign...hmmmm...like Saddams weapons of mass distruction ? lets be real here. Putin has long way to go to catch up with the US and NATO body count.
    remember that afghan wedding obama droned ? or the yemen wedding he droned ? ?

Yemenis: Drone Strike 'Turned Wedding into Funeral'

The Obama administration has launched an internal investigation into a drone strike in Yemen that villagers say hit a wedding party, U.S. officials tell NBC News.

U.S. strike kills wedding party goers -Afghan officials

here's a recent one for Obiden

Biden administration admits killing 10 civilians in Kabul airstrike, no ISIS-K

By Steven Nelson

September 17, 2021 3:34pm Updated

"Putin may circle Kiev..but he will never gain the hearts and souls of the Iranian people"...Pedo Joe Biden
    yep...the brain dead vegetable actually said that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Wow. This is a lot to take in. Guess the internet radicalization is effective.

But...this could all have started for regime change in Ukraine and end up in regime change in Russia.

Apparently, Putin has spent the last 2+ years in almost total isolation and has spent it getting high on his own supply of BS. Crafted a 7000+ word manifesto on how Ukraine is not a nation or a people but a puppet of the West to destroy Russia that is now part of official Russian doctrine. Is inventing military nuclear alert stages to rattle his saber. Has had a massive table constructed (the one on TV) so that aides can "meet" with him and be distanced.

Russian military either has to get their mess sorted out and make this a less painful invasion or someone is going to roll tanks into Red Square and remove Putin from the equation.

Regardless, the sad part is that a great number of people are going to die in Ukraine before this is all over. Russia appears to be switching from tactics centered on a quick strike on Kyiv with relatively light weapons to a slow methodical approach using significant amounts of heavy weaponry on any and all targets.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Honest question:

What is it that those who want a "strong" anti-Putin response propose to be done?

If any US military forces or personnel were to be attacked, fired upon, or killed by Russians in the Ukraine theater that would be a direct attack on a NATO member triggering an automatic mobilization and declaration of war by all NATO member nations.

What is known about Russian political and military doctrine indicates that scenario calls for a Russian response of first use of "low yield" nuclear weapons to decapitate NATO troop concentrations and assets.

Plus...alliances dragging everyone into a war has never happened before...

Is there a "robust" response that stops short of triggering a larger NATO based conflict? I just don't see how the US can deploy any military assets without risking a massive escalation.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Kameltoe explains it all in this hard hitting response.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ