Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Curt Popejoy
    October 28, 2020

The 2020 NFL season is in the books for the Pittsburgh Steelers and things did not go according to plan. After an 11-game winning streak to start the season, Pittsburgh sputtered down the stretch going 1-4 before bowing out in the first round of the playoffs. This locked their first-round pick in at No. 24 overall.

The Steelers currently have $11 million in cap space but will start the 2021 offseason over $21 million in negative. This means when it comes to all those free agents, there just won’t be enough room to bring most of them back. This means the 2021 NFL draft is going to be the primary part of this team’s rebuild after the 2020 season.

Here are our updated 2021 NFL draft needs in order of importance.

1-Offensive tackle

Alejandro Villanueva, Zach Banner, Jerald Hawkins and Derwin Gray are all free agents next offseason. The Steelers need to get an elite left tackle prospect in this draft is possible.

2-Outside linebacker

The Steelers stand to lose Bud Dupree in free agency and even if Alex Highsmith or Ola Adeniyi are ready to step in, filling in behind them is a top priority.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/li...l-draft-needs/

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

I saw a mock where we trade with the Cowboys and move up to #10 and then we select Trey Lance. Kid is young (just finished Sophomore season at ND state) and would sit behind Ben for one year then take over in 2022. Only problem with that is the Broncos need a QB as well and they draft #9 (assuming that he's still around).

Watson is available as well, and most people have the Jets trading for him (or the Dolphins) since they are both have two #1 picks. I would LOVE to have Watson come here and easily trade our #24 pick for him telling Ben he will be released (like Troy) if he doesn't retire. But alas, we know that will never happen.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I think some teams are cooling off on Watson. His agent needs to be careful as he not the type of guy who wants to play for a team that didn't make the playoffs. He QB'd Houston to a 4-12 record and his playoff record when he was on good teams is 1-2. Don't get caught up in stats, his team was behind often, so he threw the ball often in what I refer to a garbage time when the defense allows yards in exchange for time off the clock.

Watson holds on to the ball too long and has fumbled 30 times in 54 games played, losing the ball 10 times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Curt Popejoy
    October 28, 2020

The 2020 NFL season is in the books for the Pittsburgh Steelers and things did not go according to plan. After an 11-game winning streak to start the season, Pittsburgh sputtered down the stretch going 1-4 before bowing out in the first round of the playoffs. This locked their first-round pick in at No. 24 overall.

The Steelers currently have $11 million in cap space but will start the 2021 offseason over $21 million in negative. This means when it comes to all those free agents, there just won’t be enough room to bring most of them back. This means the 2021 NFL draft is going to be the primary part of this team’s rebuild after the 2020 season.

Here are our updated 2021 NFL draft needs in order of importance.

1-Offensive tackle

Alejandro Villanueva, Zach Banner, Jerald Hawkins and Derwin Gray are all free agents next offseason. The Steelers need to get an elite left tackle prospect in this draft is possible.

2-Outside linebacker

The Steelers stand to lose Bud Dupree in free agency and even if Alex Highsmith or Ola Adeniyi are ready to step in, filling in behind them is a top priority.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/li...l-draft-needs/
    QB is high need, unless you think Ben at age 39 will play well next year and beyond, or you sold on Mason Rudolph.

It might be best for the Steelers for Ben to retire, and are up cap space. He's not worth 41 million on the cap next year.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

My list of draft needs is as always about controlling the LOS.

1. OT - The only OT currently under contract is Okorafor.
    2. DL - Cam and Tuitt are great. Behind them is a significant dropoff.
    3. C/G - Dotson, Pouncey, DeCastro. That's it.
    4. TE - Ebron is the only TE. Behind him are Gentry and PS guys.
    5. OLB - Watt and Highsmith. Like the DL, nothing promising backing up at this position.
    6. CB - Could go with Haden and Layne outside and let Nelson take over slot duties. James Pierre to backup all 3.
    7. QB - Ben is starting possibly his final season. I have not been impressed with Rudolph or Dobbs enough.
    8. ILB - Bush, VW, UGIII. This could be higher on the priority list but I think this is where FA money will be spent.
    9. WR - Currently have a WR room of DJ, Wash, and Claypool. Then some PS guys.
    10. RB - Not a lot to get excited about but unless the OL gets stabilized it won't matter who's running the ball.
    11. Safety - Minkah and Edmunds with Brooks Jr and Dangerfield backing up. With what IS in front of them, they just don't have to suck. Fortunately they have been good.

This list is always fluid as offseason deals get done and positional needs change.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If we don't trade up for a QB, I agree with this. We need replacements on the OL (first priority), and we do need an Edge even if Highsmith is ready, to keep the rotation fresh. DL depth is also needed. Heyward, Alualu, Tuitt are all getting long in the tooth and none of our current backups look like 'starters in waiting'. Losing any of these 3 to injury is a huge drop off.

The 1-5 skid and late season collapses IMO, are directly correlated with having ZERO running game. Look at every late-season implosion we've had in the recent years, they all were big part of the inability to run the ball. Ben's record even in his prime was never great when he had to pass 40+ times.

If I were the GM I would make rebuilding the OL to establish a respectable running game a priority. Maybe draft a big RB to beat off defenders

BTW has anyone followed Trey Lance closely? Is he a mobile QB or a running QB? I don't want the latter. I'd rather have a Russell Wilson than a Lamar Jackson

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

I hope there's a run on quarterbacks in the top 10 so that the Steelers aren't even tempted to move and take one of them. Hopefully, imo, they stand pat and draft OL, OL, RB with first 3 picks. If quarterbacks go before they were slotted that means really good football players are dropping. I'd rather see the Steelers turn Ben into a game manager or play Rudolph who is already a game manager and build the defense, special teams and offensive line. The Steelers can win football games, running the ball and playing defense. No need to give away anything from next year's draft which they would have to do to move up to #10 from #24. Old school Steeler football would be a welcome sight for my eyes anyhow.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Istina View Post
    I hope there's a run on quarterbacks in the top 10 so that the Steelers aren't even tempted to move and take one of them. Hopefully, imo, they stand pat and draft OL, OL, RB with first 3 picks. If quarterbacks go before they were slotted that means really good football players are dropping. I'd rather see the Steelers turn Ben into a game manager or play Rudolph who is already a game manager and build the defense, special teams and offensive line. The Steelers can win football games, running the ball and playing defense. No need to give away anything from next year's draft which they would have to do to move up to #10 from #24. Old school Steeler football would be a welcome sight for my eyes anyhow.
    Pretty much this, rebuild the OL then we can draft or trade for Ben’s replacement the next season. If we have a solid Def, OL and RB, finding a QB will be much easier.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here is my Inauguration Day mock...

R1: Nick Bolton, ILB, Mizzou
    R2: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St.
    R3: Landon Dickerson, OC, 'Bama
    R4: Darius Stills, DT, WVU
    R4 (comp): Dante Stills, DT, WVU

This is assuming that Canada can turn Mason Rudolph into the next Bubby Brister (just good enough to be a contender every year).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

This is assuming that Canada can turn Mason Rudolph into the next Bubby Brister (just good enough to be a contender every year).
    I don't know the WVU guys yet but I think that's a pretty awesome first 3.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

nice mock!

I just think that an OT and a RB will be drafted somewhere in the top 5 picks.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't know the WVU guys yet but I think that's a pretty awesome first 3.

I'll buy those picks. WVU and Tiger are like peanut-butter & Jelly.

If some team picks Freiermuth early or the steelers pass on him, I hope they will consider Hunter Long.

I'll play:
    Rd1: Jalen Mayfield OL, Mich
    RD2: Joe Tryon OLB, Wash
    Rd3: Landon Dickerson C/G, Bama
    Rd4: Hunter Long TE, BC

I don't know the projected pick numbers after that.

I'll play:
    Rd1: Jalen Mayfield OL, Mich
    RD2: Joe Tryon OLB, Wash
    Rd3: Landon Dickerson C/G, Bama
    Rd4: Hunter Long TE, BC

I don't know the projected pick numbers after that.
    there's a 4b, 6a, 6b and a 7 still.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

nice mock!

I just think that an OT and a RB will be drafted somewhere in the top 5 picks.
    True.

My mocks (up until this week) have been an OT in R1. But, as I have been thinking about it, teams have ripped us apart is in the short passing game. Bince is likely gone. Spillane is good, but I imagine having four good LBs on the field (akin to the 90s defenses). Plus, Born2Steel posted a link of Nick Bolton... and I was SOLD!!!

RB has been my R3 comp pick for a long, long time. Not having that comp pick threw me for a loop. Honestly, the Steelers are not drafting both of the Stills brothers... I just cannot decide which one I like better. Darius is the more polished player, but in three years, Dante will probably be the better pro. Anyway, replace one of them with a RB... like Master Teague, Ohio St.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'll buy those picks. WVU and Tiger are like peanut-butter & Jelly.
    Guilty!!!

Guilty!!!
    what's your W Va connection, are you originally from there?

what's your W Va connection, are you originally from there?
    Born there.

My parents are alums. My aunts, uncles, cousins (et al) are all alums. Most of them were on the marching band. One cousin was president of the student body. Et cetera. Since my alma mater (UCSD) does not really believe in athletics, let alone spending assets on a football team, I basically root for the Mountaineers.

I can't see ILB in round one.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I can't see ILB in round one.
    But have you watched Nick Bolton?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I'll do my first two rounds (after that it's a crap shoot on who's going to be left):

R1: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
    R2: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn (Joe didn't know) State
    R3: Some RB
    R4: More Offensive line
    R5: Some WR that will turn into the next Antonio Brown and eventually throw a piano off a balcony, drive 230 mph to practice, and burn his palms touching dry ice.

We have mostly built our defense the last few drafts now it's time to focus on offense.

"To stand still is to fall behind" - Mark Twain

It's also true in building football teams.

Me before watching him play: ILB... meh

Me after watching him play: MUST HAVE!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I'll do my first two rounds (after that it's a crap shoot on who's going to be left):

R1: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
    R2: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn (Joe didn't know) State
    R3: Some RB
    R4: More Offensive line
    R5: Some WR that will turn into the next Antonio Brown and eventually throw a piano off a balcony, drive 230 mph to practice, and burn his palms touching dry ice.

We have mostly built our defense the last few drafts now it's time to focus on offense.
    Those top two had been my top two for a while. For months, I have slotted Leatherwood at 32 and Dickerson at 96. 'Bama routinely produces quality O-linemen. Ergo, I cannot say that I would not be pleased with that draft.

But, the thing that sealed the deal was the AB reference. Well done!!!

We have so many needs, if you want to draft Bolton, it probably has to be our 1st round pick. I'll go with Bush, and hope he lives up to expectations, and Spillane for 2021. We might have to cut Vince Williams , so finding a decent back up is a need.

The draft will start to take better shape after the Senior Bowl and Combine, but for now my top 4 pick would be:

1. QB Mac Jones
    2. OC Josh Meyers
    3. RB Javonte Wiliams
    4. DB Greg Newsome III

Then I start picking Tackles, and Guards, with an ILB and OLB mixed in. Perhaps a pure NT.DT and a TE as well.

We do have a of higher than normal amount of picks, thanks to two comps picks.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’ll trade every one of the 2021 picks for veteran players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

We have so many needs, if you want to draft Bolton, it probably has to be our 1st round pick. I'll go with Bush, and hope he lives up to expectations, and Spillane for 2021. We might have to cut Vince Williams , so finding a decent back up is a need.
    You just outlined my worries. Bince will be a cap casualty. In turn, that leaves us with only Bush and Spillane (who is a "pretty good")... and nothing else. Heck, we were starting a SS at ILB for half of the season.

We need depth, but we also need an upgrade over Spillane.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

R1 Creed Humphrey C
    R2 Nick Bolton ILB
    R3 Hunter Long TE
    R4 Seth Williams WR

The draft will start to take better shape after the Senior Bowl and Combine, but for now my top 4 pick would be:

1. QB Mac Jones
    2. OC Josh Meyers
    3. RB Javonte Wiliams
    4. DB Greg Newsome III

Then I start picking Tackles, and Guards, with an ILB and OLB mixed in. Perhaps a pure NT.DT and a TE as well.

We do have a of higher than normal amount of picks, thanks to two comps picks.
    I am very much a BPA in the 1st/2nd rounds. There are a few TJ Watt/Pouncey/DeCastro/Minkah/Bush in every draft. To me that is what the 1st round is for. At 24 there will not be a BigBen, so get the generational player that is there at 24 whatever the position.

My personal value system alone, WRs, TEs, and RBs can all be found throughout the draft, so I more or less take those positions out for that round. QB, OL, DL, LB, DB are pretty much the only positions I like to look at in the 1st. Franchise QB, OL for the next 10-15 years, or beast defender.

Don't get me wrong though. I can get caught looking at the shiny fast cars too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    R1 Creed Humphrey C
    R2 Nick Bolton ILB
    R3 Hunter Long TE
    R4 Seth Williams WR
    Another Nick Bolton convert. Welcome brother.

Steelers Pre-Senior Bowl 7-Round 2021 NFL Mock Draft

Off a Wild Card exit, the Steelers will look to an important draft. I address their needs in this Steelers 7-round 2021 NFL Mock Draft.

By Nick Farabaugh

Hot off an AFC North division title, the Steelers are in a precarious position heading into the NFL Draft. With the Browns handing them a tough loss in the Wild Card Round, the Steelers’ Super Bowl window is closing. They have multiple vital free agents that will leave and only so much cap space to work with this offseason. In this Pittsburgh Steelers 7-round 2021 NFL Mock Draft, I will try to navigate the muddy waters they will enter this offseason.

Ben Roethlisberger seems to be on his last legs, albeit he may go for one more run at it all. Key free agents including Bud Dupree, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Alejandro Villanueva, Cameron Sutton, James Conner, Tyson Alualu, and more may hit the market, and the holes on this team could be plentiful.

However, with news that Roethlisberger is likely to return in addition to the elevation of quarterbacks coach Matt Canada to offensive coordinator, there are clear draft signs and fits. In this class, they try to build around a designed nucleus.

Steelers Pre-Senior Bowl 7-Round 2021 NFL Mock Draft

Round 1, Pick 24: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
    Round 2, Pick 55: Creed Humphrey, OC, Oklahoma
    Round 3, Pick 87: Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson
    Round 4, Pick 118: Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi State
    Round 4, Comp Pick: Ambry Thomas, CB, Michigan
    Round 6, Pick 188: William Bradley-King, EDGE, Baylor
    Round 6, Comp Pick: Aaron Banks, OG, Notre Dame
    Round 7, Pick 209: Quintin Morris, TE, Bowling Green
    Round 7, Pick 218: Justin Hilliard, LB, Ohio State

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/s...e-senior-bowl/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is kinda scary...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Creed is a player that I can really get behind. He will do “whatever it takes” to make it in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

This is kinda scary...
    What is? That only 1 of these picks are currently on the roster?