Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Interesting take, but I still think we need 2 OL in the first 3 picks

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Interesting take, but I still think we need 2 OL in the first 3 picks
    we got Dotson in the 4th round.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    we got Dotson in the 4th round.

It's impossible to know that a team is going to draft a player at a certain position with a certain pick. That is impossible to know because everything is dependent on who is on the board when the team picks, and their individual ratings of players.

Your example of Dotson makes that point. When that guy is on the board in the fourth round, you draft him because the value is amazing. There was no way the team could know for sure that he was going to be there, but he was.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This should be the plan
    1. Try and land Mac Jones
    2. If not, best OL available

Why the Steelers drafting a LB in the first round still makes sense

The thought originally left me scratching my head but there is a realistic shot the Steelers draft a linebacker in the first round

By Michael_Beck@MichaelBeck56 Feb 6, 2021

Most Steelers fans would agree the team needs to rebuild its offense starting in 2021. Sure, they have some interesting receiving options, and a couple linemen that could develop into starters, but the rest of the group leaves a lot to be desired. However, there’s a problem with trying to fill these holes in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft. There is a real chance the offensive linemen and quarterbacks worth taking in the first round will have already come off the board, and we already know the Steelers views on taking running back in the first round. The organization isn't going to reach on a prospect, and the last time they traded backward in the first round was 2001, so that isn't going to happen either.

We already know the story when it comes to the Steelers drafting linebackers with their first round picks. Five of the last seven first rounders were linebackers, to be exact. Of those picks, only the first of which, Jarvis Jones, was a bust.

Bottom line, they know what they are doing.

When it comes to the 2021 NFL Draft we also have to keep in mind the sheer amount of holes the Steelers are going to have to fill. From multiple offensive linemen, a running back, cornerback, tight end, linebacker, and maybe even dip their toe in the quarterback market. In other words, the Steelers can go a multitude of different ways. The Steelers may also turn to cutting an inside linebacker to become salary cap compliant. That player being Vince Williams who, if cut, would give the Steelers an extra $4,000,000 of relief. If Williams finds himself on the chopping block, you can move inside linebacker to one of the biggest holes this team needs to fill.

The player at the top of the draft board for the Steelers’ top pick could very well be Tulsa’s Zaven Collins. Collins is an inside backer with the ability to also play on the edge. For a team that will almost certainly lose Bud Dupree to the open market, getting someone who can do both would be ideal. His measurable’s are things teams drool over.

Standing 6’4” and tipping the scales at 260 pounds, Collins’ speed resembles someone who's weighs 220 pounds. He’s a sideline to sideline linebacker who excels in a multiple front defense, like the Steelers often deploy. Collins is a heavy hitter, but he is one of the best coverage linebackers in the entire class. To top it off, no one could force turnovers like Collins throughout the entire NCAA last season. It was no surprise he won the 2020 Bronco Nagurski award as the top defensive player in college football.

Other reasons why the Steelers will be high on Collins is he is an underclassman, and just 21 years old. This is something the Steelers have clearly coveted in its draft picks. Another, but much smaller, factor which may make Collins a more likely pick for the Steelers is it would keep him from falling to the Cleveland Browns, who would almost certainly select him if he makes it to their draft position.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...en-collins-nfl
    Honestly ilb feels like a luxury pick compared to some of the other holes on this team

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Honestly ilb feels like a luxury pick compared to some of the other holes on this team
    Seeing the disruption that David and White created in the middle of the field tonight has me wondering what Bush and fancy draft pick could do.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Seeing the disruption that David and White created in the middle of the field tonight has me wondering what Bush and fancy draft pick could do.
    BINGO!!!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It's why thinking about what would have been had Shazier not gotten injured makes me sad. Imagine Watt, Shazier, Fitzpatrick at each level of the defense and then you add a guy like Bush or another stud.....Man!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's why thinking about what would have been had Shazier not gotten injured makes me sad. Imagine Watt, Shazier, Fitzpatrick at each level of the defense and then you add a guy like Bush or another stud.....Man!
    I spend far too much time thinking about that. It would've been hella fun to watch.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Or, if they had somehow drafted Aaron Donald.

(Colbert inquired about trading up with the Rams, and they flat-out told him: We’re drafting Donald... period... good-bye.)

Nothing that will come close to leading to a Super Bowl if the O-line isn't fixed. I saw in the Super Bowl how piss-poor o-line pretty much stopped Patrick Mahomes and it paralleled how piss poor o-line play held the team back. Jack Lambert in his prime could be starting next to Ray Lewis in his prime and it won't matter if the O-line replicates last year's debacle

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Yep, I'd even wait until R3 for a TE if we could pick up Bolton or Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Nothing that will come close to leading to a Super Bowl if the O-line isn't fixed. I saw in the Super Bowl how piss-poor o-line pretty much stopped Patrick Mahomes and it paralleled how piss poor o-line play held the team back. Jack Lambert in his prime could be starting next to Ray Lewis in his prime and it won't matter if the O-line replicates last year's debacle
    Earlier in the season, I posted about how Brian Baldinger had broken down video of our O-line play. In a nutshell, Baldinger noticed that when asked to block forward (running north-south), the Steelers O-line looked great, created holes, and were getting 5-7 yards per rush. Conversely, when the Steelers were running all of those sideways plays (I wouldn’t even consider it east-west... but, rather just simply sideways), they generally lost yardage.

Further breakdown by Baldinger showed that when the Steelers blocked north-south, they’d get a good push (1-2 yards beyond the LOS). Even if the Steelers RB got stopped right there, it would have been a gain of 1-2 yards. Instead, the Steelers O-line was engaging defenders a yard (or three) BEHIND the line of scrimmage. That alone is a difference of 2-5 yards per rush.

Baldinger added that not only was the LOS moved up 2-5 yards on north-south runs, but the Steelers O-line created way, way, waaay better holes when moving north-south... resulting in the aforementioned 5-7 yards per rush.

SUMMATION:
    1. run north-south
    2. Replace Pouncey
    3. watch the running game flourish

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Report: Ole Miss TE Kenny Yeboah Had Attention Of Steelers GM Kevin Colbert At Senior Bowl

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/re...t-senior-bowl/

Here’s the moment in the show where I turn to Shoes and say, “Tell is about Kenny Yeboah.”

2021 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Florida QB Kyle Trask

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/20...qb-kyle-trask/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2021 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Florida QB Kyle Trask

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/20...qb-kyle-trask/
    I really like Trask. I like his size and he has enough mobility to move in the pocket and extend plays if need be. Never going to be a running QB, so what? 68% career completion percentage is pretty darn good too. I watched a few Florida games and never thought 'weak arm' either. Maybe he's no Favre arm but he made the throws and with accuracy usually(68%). His 2020 stats were 43TDs to 8INTs, that's doing something right.

I don't think the Steelers will draft Trask. I don't think they draft any QB this draft. But if they did I would be ok with Trask. Not ecstatic yet not disappointed, just ok.

87. Pittsburgh Steelers: Tommy Tremble, TE, Notre Dame

With Vance McDonald’s retirement, the Steelers need a reliable tight end who can block and catch. Eric Ebron isn’t that kind of player. Tommy Tremble wasn’t often targeted, but he excelled in both blocking and receiving. He would provide a security blanket over the middle of the field for whoever is the Steelers’ next quarterback.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2...lte-january/4/

With Ben coming back, I do not see a QB being taken early. Also, Ben loves Ebron; so, I do not see a TE being taken early either (sorry, Shoes). I also see JuJu being re-signed (so, no WR at all).

R1: BAP...period. If it is Najee Harris or Nick Bolton or Jaycee Horn or Creed Humphrey... whomever is highest on their draft rankings. After that, they will fill the following holes: OC, RB, OT. And, I think it will be in that order.

R2: OC ...it is the biggest hole, and this is the sweet spot (bang for your buck). There are a ton of good OCs in this draft.

R3: RB ...again, this seems to be the sweet sot (value-wise) for a RB.

R4: OT ...it is a deep, deep, deeeep class. Plus, the team is really high on Banner at LT.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

1 - BAP
    2 - BAP
    3 - BAP
    4 - BPA
    5 - BPA
    6 - PTIB
    7 - PTIB

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

This isn’t half bad.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202102240134

A lot of people are connecting the Steelers to Jaylen Mayfield. I think it’s a deep OT class, but I wouldn’t be mad at a LT in R1.

Freiermuth (TE), Meinerz (OC), and my man Felton (RB/WR) make this a really good draft (for me at least). I’m not sure I’d wait until Day 3 to draft an OC, but if I can get Meinerz in R4, sign me up!!! (Meinerz was arguably the best OC at the Senior Bowl.)

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

If Freiermuth falls to the end of the second I'll eat my PSU hat.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Freiermuth will never last until 55...I hope he does...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Imagine the Steelers drafting a TE that can block. Nah, it's better to pay more money to a rerun that can't block. It's a great way to help the run game and protect your QB

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    This isn’t half bad.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202102240134

A lot of people are connecting the Steelers to Jaylen Mayfield. I think it’s a deep OT class, but I wouldn’t be mad at a LT in R1.

Freiermuth (TE), Meinerz (OC), and my man Felton (RB/WR) make this a really good draft (for me at least). I’m not sure I’d wait until Day 3 to draft an OC, but if I can get Meinerz in R4, sign me up!!! (Meinerz was arguably the best OC at the Senior Bowl.)

I mentioned this a week or so ago.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...597#post762597

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This has been so difficult to nail it down and rank which players I like and organize into an acceptable draft order. I like Jaylen Mayfield and Quinn Meinerz as OL prospects. But until either Banner gets re-signed, a FA LT and FA OC get brought in, I just can't place a value on 2 guys that have very limited snaps at those positions. The ceiling is very high for both but the floor is also unknown so therefore low at this point. IF Banner returns I would be much happier to draft a prospect like Mayfield who has huge potential and versatility. Today, with Pouncey retiring and no OC on the roster except maybe ERFA Hassenauer, an OC prospect in Meinerz that didn't actually play OC for his career, is not desirable either. But, if/when a FA OC gets signed and a prospect like Meinerz can have the option of backing up a year if he needs that, he becomes more attractive on draft day.

Steelers currently have Chuks under contract at OT. Is the emphasis more on LT or RT then? There are no OCs under contract currently, even though Hassenauer is an ERFA so probably will be one of the first re-signed at the start of the new league year.

My thoughts as of today, and this will change immediately upon any and all signings forthcoming, look like this:

1. Hassenauer should be re-signed AND a veteran FA OC brought in to enter the draft with a starter and a depth player at the position.
    2. Banner needs to be re-signed so the Steelers can enter the draft with at least 1 LT and 1 RT under contract. This will not lessen the 'need' for an OT in this draft but it does allow for draft position and value flexibility.
    3. DeCastro and 2nd year Dodson are the only 2 OGs under contract currently. Either a draft pick OG or a FA veteran OG will have to be signed for depth at both OG positions.

The OL situation looks like a BIG mess at this point in time. However, I am very confident in the Steelers' FO and fully believe there is a plan in place already. Once the new league year begins this landscape will change dramatically. I also cannot emphasize enough how little I know about the OL already on the PS that could get called up to the 53. This OL 'rebuild' may have already taken shape as we contemplate how it will be done. As Tom Petty put it, "The waiting is the hardest part".

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This has been so difficult to nail it down and rank which players I like and organize into an acceptable draft order. I like Jaylen Mayfield and Quinn Meinerz as OL prospects. But until either Banner gets re-signed, a FA LT and FA OC get brought in, I just can't place a value on 2 guys that have very limited snaps at those positions. The ceiling is very high for both but the floor is also unknown so therefore low at this point. IF Banner returns I would be much happier to draft a prospect like Mayfield who has huge potential and versatility. Today, with Pouncey retiring and no OC on the roster except maybe ERFA Hassenauer, an OC prospect in Meinerz that didn't actually play OC for his career, is not desirable either. But, if/when a FA OC gets signed and a prospect like Meinerz can have the option of backing up a year if he needs that, he becomes more attractive on draft day.

Steelers currently have Chuks under contract at OT. Is the emphasis more on LT or RT then? There are no OCs under contract currently, even though Hassenauer is an ERFA so probably will be one of the first re-signed at the start of the new league year.

My thoughts as of today, and this will change immediately upon any and all signings forthcoming, look like this:

1. Hassenauer should be re-signed AND a veteran FA OC brought in to enter the draft with a starter and a depth player at the position.
    2. Banner needs to be re-signed so the Steelers can enter the draft with at least 1 LT and 1 RT under contract. This will not lessen the 'need' for an OT in this draft but it does allow for draft position and value flexibility.
    3. DeCastro and 2nd year Dodson are the only 2 OGs under contract currently. Either a draft pick OG or a FA veteran OG will have to be signed for depth at both OG positions.

The OL situation looks like a BIG mess at this point in time. However, I am very confident in the Steelers' FO and fully believe there is a plan in place already. Once the new league year begins this landscape will change dramatically. I also cannot emphasize enough how little I know about the OL already on the PS that could get called up to the 53. This OL 'rebuild' may have already taken shape as we contemplate how it will be done. As Tom Petty put it, "The waiting is the hardest part".

Everything we talk about now is complete speculation. Until we know the players that the team is going to have under contract and on the field, we are just projecting the unknown as to what the position needs are. This is nothing new. We do it every year.

I also think they are going to bring back Banner.

You may be right about Hassenauer, but I wouldn't care if they let him go and bring in a different player and have an entirely new depth chart at C. He hasn't shown much IMO. Maybe he can improve with more time and better coaching? IDK.

I suspect DeCastro was playing with an injury last year. He didn't look the same this year. That will be a nice upgrade just having him back to his top-level play.

I am high on Dotson. I was thrilled when they drafted him last year. I think he could be a very good player for a long time.

Okafor, Banner, DeCastro, and Dotson would give you 4 players you know.

It looks like AV and Feiler are likely gone. If it plays out like that, drafting at least 2 OL seems certain. Who? When? Where? Who knows. But that's part of the fun of it.

teegre, have you been telling the Ravens our draft plans again?

Round 1 - Pick 27 Baltimore

Creed Humphrey OL
    OKLAHOMA • JR • 6'5" / 307 LBS

The Ravens have a big need at center, and Humphrey is the most experienced center in the class with clean film.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-watson-trade/

teegre, have you been telling the Ravens our draft plans again?

Round 1 - Pick 27 Baltimore

Creed Humphrey OL
    OKLAHOMA • JR • 6'5" / 307 LBS

The Ravens have a big need at center, and Humphrey is the most experienced center in the class with clean film.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-watson-trade/
    The Mock drafts I have looked through have Creed Humphrey going anywhere from Miami at 18(I think) to the Steelers at 55(56 whichever). I personally don't see Humphrey falling to the 2nd round pick. There are a few OC hungry teams that would most likely grab him before that chance. The question is how valuable is he at pick 24 vs other players on the board vs alternate OCs in later rounds. AND that will all be weighed against who the Steelers have brought in in FA by that point as well. Today's Creed Humphrey value is HIGH, by draft weekend his value may be meh. My personal mock has sooooo many holes right now.

The Steelers need to address Center in both free agency and the NFL Draft

The position is too important to just throw a rookie onto the field.

By Michael_Beck@MichaelBeck56
    Feb 27, 2021

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-update-rumors