Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

24. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

Pick: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson (5' 10", 205 lbs)

The Steelers are the last of the first 24 confirmed picks for round one so far following their loss to the Browns last Sunday evening. With the Steelers looking to rebuild, Travis Etienne could be a star for the future. In four years at Clemson, the LA-born running back has clocked up nearly 70 touchdowns and 5,000 rushing yards.

https://en.as.com/en/2021/01/31/othe...05_559313.html

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’ve heard some of the talking heads say they see him as more of a beneficiary of his system then a first round back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

First, if Parsons falls out of the top ten I will be amazed, and some team will pick up an absolute steal. He might be the best athlete in this draft and, barring injury, could anchor an NFL defense for a decade. If he falls to the high teens, it would be great to be in a position to trade up for him, but we aren't. We need all of our picks for OL and DL this year.

Second, we've done well in the past with RBs named Harris. Let's do it again.

Third, if we pick Etienne I will be screaming at my TV, just like last year when we passed on Dobbins. HUGE mistake. Sure, Claypool is a nice WR, but we needed a RB last year and we still need one! And Etienne is a 'finesse' back who isn't a lot better than McFarland.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Drafting Landon Dickerson is how the Steelers will start rebuilding the offensive line

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...line-nfl-draft

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Drafting Landon Dickerson is how the Steelers will start rebuilding the offensive line

As I mentioned elsewhere, even though Dickerson was injured/couldn’t participate in the drills at the Senior Bowl, he was out there giving guidance to other players. He’s like a coach on the field... a natural leader... the type of guy you do indeed build an O-line around.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He makes a lot of sense. Tackle may be the greater overall need, but he is a unique talent. Not many men that size are able to play the center position, let alone play it well. If you are looking for a player to take the place of a long-time starter, and to fill a need and lead a philosophy change towards physicality and running the football....it's hard to argue against this pick.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think they can scrape by for another year with Chuks, a cheaply resigned Banner, and Hawkins at OT. It might not be great, but you can get away with it. They can not continue to pretend that JC Hasaskjfaklsdjfai;sehjtupiwhjerijsdf is a real NFL center.

Pouncey is still better than many and now is worse than some. Ben likely drags him back, I just hope the Steelers don't pass on an opportunity to draft his replacement if it presents itself.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Dickerson has a injury history. He may slip during the draft similar to Tyler Biadasz last year.

Round 3 seems about right knowing he just recently tore his ACL.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Dickerson has a injury history. He may slip during the draft similar to Tyler Biadasz last year.

Round 3 seems about right knowing he just recently tore his ACL.
    R3 is where I have mocked him (in every mock draft that I have done).

It is a risk. You can get a R1 talent in R1... or... you can get a guy who may never play up to his past level. IMO, it is worth the risk.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    R3 is where I have mocked him (in every mock draft that I have done).

It is a risk. You can get a R1 talent in R1... or... you can get a guy who may never play up to his past level. IMO, it is worth the risk.

Personally I'm on the Quinn Meinerz train. He was dominate during Senior Bowl week. Top 50-70 player Imo.

1. Najee Harris.
    2. Quinn Meinerz
    3. Tommy Tremble
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Personally I'm on the Quinn Meinerz train. He was dominate during Senior Bowl week. Top 50-70 player Imo.

1. Najee Harris.
    2. Quinn Meinerz
    3. Tommy Tremble
    I like it!

but if Pouncey retires then an OC will move up the draft needs list.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I like it!

but if Pouncey retires then an OC will move up the draft needs list.
    Meinerz can play at Center. Maybe not at rookie Pouncey level but at least a flex IOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Meinerz can play at Center. Maybe not at rookie Pouncey level but at least a flex IOL.
    Pouncey is one of the best centers ever. It's unfortunate that he dealt with two major lower body injuries that clearly has caught up to him and also cost him 1 or 2 more All-Pro nominations.

Many have forgotten that Pouncey was an All-Pro his rookie season. He was a rare blue chip center prospect.

1. Najee Harris.
    2. Quinn Meinerz
    3. Tommy Tremble
    R1: Nick Bolton, ILB, Mizzou
    R2: Quinn Meinerz, OC, U of Wisconsin - Whitewater
    R3: Michael Carter, RB, UNC
    R4: Darius Stills, DE/DT, WVU
    R4 (comp): Dante Stills, DE/DT, WVU

2021 NFL DRAFTNFL.com Mock Draft Has Steelers Selecting Missouri ILB Nick Bolton

Published 2 days ago on February 1, 2021 By Alan Saunders

The latest mock draft from NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks has the Steelers drafting a linebacker with their first-round pick.

Brooks has the Steelers selecting Missouri inside linebacker Nick Bolton at No. 24 overall.

Bolton, a 6-foot, 232-pound linebacker, chose to enter the draft after his junior season with the Tigers. The two-time All-SEC selection had 93 tackles, eight tackles for loss and two sacks in 2020.

In his three-year career at Missouri, he finished with 220 tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss, four sacks and two interceptions.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersnow.com/nfl-com-mock...b-nick-bolton/

ROUND 3 (NO. 87 OVERALL): MICHAEL CARTER, RB, NORTH CAROLINA

The Steelers will be tied to the top of the running back class for the entire draft cycle, and deservedly so: their running game died over the stretch and James Conner is a tough free agent sell given his injury history. You need a player you’d feel comfortable giving the lion’s share of the carries.

Carter is perfect for that. He brings third-level speed, a ton of experience, and more receiving game value than any back the Steelers currently have on the roster. For my money, he’s the RB4 in this class, which is a nice value at the end of the third round.

How he fits: Carter will be best on zone runs, which isn’t exactly where the Steelers’ offensive line is right now: they’ve got size and they want to run power. But every team in the league has to invest more in working zone flow with the advantages it offers in the play-action passing game, which the Steelers sorely lacked this year as part of their aerial approach. Carter would hopefully represent the beginning of that shift.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...draft-playoffs

@hawaii

Sounds like I’m on the right track.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I haven't gotten to the official naming the player part just yet. Although I do like playing around with it. My thoughts in Feb...

Rd1 BPA. A game changer at any position can be a valid argument here. Very much a fan of the Nick Bolton pick.
    Rd2 Still a BPA pick but more of one at a position that makes instant upgrade. Leaning toward a potent weapon here to go with and compliment Claypool. Najee Harris would be my wish but there are others that work.
    Rd3-Rd4a&b MUST build OL. Also looking at CB, offensive weapon if not in Rd2, Safety/NB/LB/DL if BPA.
    This is where I just turn it over to Colbert and watch him work his genius.

I haven't taken that look at those Stills bros yet. This weekend hopefully.

Lance Zierlein has the Steelers taking an ILB at 24 (Zavin Collins, Tulsa).

Collins and Bolton... sounds like the lineup on an 80s soft-rock station. Ergo, I'm officially calling our R1 pick the KYXY pick.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

@hawaii

Sounds like I’m on the right track.

In other words, the Ravens are on track to select your entire draft.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Teegre needs to look into the strategy of spreading disinformation. For our sake.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Teegre needs to look into the strategy of spreading disinformation. For our sake.
    weren't you looking at a punter in Round 1?

weren't you looking at a punter in Round 1?

Al Waysatouchback at pick 24!

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    I am all for trading our entire draft... to move up to 7 in order take a long-snapper from East Rutherford Community College.

I am all for trading our entire draft... to move up to 7 in order take a long-snapper from East Rutherford Community College.
    you don't say...

you don't say...

Ah... look at how you I was. I mean, how young Ozzie was.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Text that info to DeCosta...NOT Ozzie...he doesn’t make the picks anymore.

Why the Steelers drafting a LB in the first round still makes sense

The thought originally left me scratching my head but there is a realistic shot the Steelers draft a linebacker in the first round

By Michael_Beck@MichaelBeck56 Feb 6, 2021

Most Steelers fans would agree the team needs to rebuild its offense starting in 2021. Sure, they have some interesting receiving options, and a couple linemen that could develop into starters, but the rest of the group leaves a lot to be desired. However, there’s a problem with trying to fill these holes in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft. There is a real chance the offensive linemen and quarterbacks worth taking in the first round will have already come off the board, and we already know the Steelers views on taking running back in the first round. The organization isn't going to reach on a prospect, and the last time they traded backward in the first round was 2001, so that isn't going to happen either.

We already know the story when it comes to the Steelers drafting linebackers with their first round picks. Five of the last seven first rounders were linebackers, to be exact. Of those picks, only the first of which, Jarvis Jones, was a bust.

Bottom line, they know what they are doing.

When it comes to the 2021 NFL Draft we also have to keep in mind the sheer amount of holes the Steelers are going to have to fill. From multiple offensive linemen, a running back, cornerback, tight end, linebacker, and maybe even dip their toe in the quarterback market. In other words, the Steelers can go a multitude of different ways. The Steelers may also turn to cutting an inside linebacker to become salary cap compliant. That player being Vince Williams who, if cut, would give the Steelers an extra $4,000,000 of relief. If Williams finds himself on the chopping block, you can move inside linebacker to one of the biggest holes this team needs to fill.

The player at the top of the draft board for the Steelers’ top pick could very well be Tulsa’s Zaven Collins. Collins is an inside backer with the ability to also play on the edge. For a team that will almost certainly lose Bud Dupree to the open market, getting someone who can do both would be ideal. His measurable’s are things teams drool over.

Standing 6’4” and tipping the scales at 260 pounds, Collins’ speed resembles someone who's weighs 220 pounds. He’s a sideline to sideline linebacker who excels in a multiple front defense, like the Steelers often deploy. Collins is a heavy hitter, but he is one of the best coverage linebackers in the entire class. To top it off, no one could force turnovers like Collins throughout the entire NCAA last season. It was no surprise he won the 2020 Bronco Nagurski award as the top defensive player in college football.

Other reasons why the Steelers will be high on Collins is he is an underclassman, and just 21 years old. This is something the Steelers have clearly coveted in its draft picks. Another, but much smaller, factor which may make Collins a more likely pick for the Steelers is it would keep him from falling to the Cleveland Browns, who would almost certainly select him if he makes it to their draft position.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...en-collins-nfl