Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Wow, that is bad, 4 picks (I think) are currently on NFL rosters, with picks like that, need to fire the scouting dept lol.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    nice mock!

I just think that an OT and a RB will be drafted somewhere in the top 5 picks.

me too , I am nearly certain in the first 3 rounds they nab a RB
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Daniel Jeremiah 2021 NFL mock draft 1.0

Pick 24
    Pittsburgh Steelers

Teven Jenkins · OT
    School: Oklahoma State | Year: Senior (RS)

The Steelers' inability to run the football last season was a major problem. They could take a runner here -- I love North Carolina's Javonte Williams and Alabama's Najee Harris -- but I think they will address the offensive line instead. Jenkins plays with an edge (see what he did against Texas) and would provide some youth/athleticism to Pittsburgh's aging group.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jere...wilson-to-jets

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

24: R1 P24 LB Micah Parsons - Penn State
    55: R2 P23 TE Hunter Long - Boston College
    87: R3 P23 RB Michael Carter - North Carolina
    125: R4 P23 S Marcus Murphy - Mississippi State
    138: R4 P36 G Jack Anderson - Texas Tech
    207: R6 P28 OT Dillon Radunz - North Dakota State
    240: R7 P18 EDGE LaRon Stokes - Oklahoma
    249: R7 P27 DL Lorenzo Neal Jr. - Purdue

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

If Micah Parsons is still available at 24, I will be truly amazed.

He's the best LB prospect I've seen in years. An amazing player.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    If Micah Parsons is still available at 24, I will be truly amazed.

He's the best LB prospect I've seen in years. An amazing player.

quick fanspeak mock he was there so I took him... no 2020 season tape could let him drop a bit

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

quick fanspeak mock he was there so I took him... no 2020 season tape could let him drop a bit

Gotcha. Didn't realize it was a Fanspeak mock. I thought that was your own mock.

I'd take it if it really falls that way.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2021 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Alabama RB Najee Harris

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/20...-najee-harris/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Welcome to the “ILB early” club.

It’s you, me, Shoes, and Born2Steel this far.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I'll sign up as well.

I don't know how much you know about Parsons, but the kid is an unbelievable football player. If he's available at 24, just turn the card in immediately and run to the podium.

We don't know what is going to happen with Ben, or if they will find a way to keep Dupree...but the thought of this defense that already has a couple elite players adding this guy would just be ridiculous.

I don't know how much you know about Parsons, but the kid is an unbelievable football player. If he's available at 24, just turn the card in immediately and run to the podium.

We don't know what is going to happen with Ben, or if they will find a way to keep Dupree...but the thought of this defense that already has a couple elite players adding this guy would just be ridiculous.
    Daniel Jeremiah has him going at #15 to the Patriots*

Pick 15

New England Patriots
    Micah Parsons · LB
    School: Penn State | Year: Junior

Parsons is an explosive, versatile playmaker, and the Patriots need to get faster on defense.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'll sign up as well.
    Welcone aboard.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Many pundits had/have him going top 10.

Daniel Jeremiah has him going at #15 to the Patriots*

Pick 15

New England Patriots
    Micah Parsons · LB
    School: Penn State | Year: Junior

Parsons is an explosive, versatile playmaker, and the Patriots need to get faster on defense.

I hope he keeps dropping!

I believe he is the equivalent of Watt falling to us, although Parsons was thought of much more highly before he opted out of the 2020 season.

Here's a good breakdown of this kid's career and his versatility. Really, read the entire article. He can do anything on a football field, and was basically the best LB in the country after his sophomore season of NCAA football.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/m...te-linebacker/

Report: Steelers Showing Early Interest In Alabama RB Najee Harris At Senior Bowl

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on January 26, 2021

The 2021 Senior Bowl week is now underway in Mobile, AL and that means throughout this week we’ll hear a few reports about the Pittsburgh Steelers and specifically players they seem to be interested in.

On Tuesday, PFN Chief Draft Analyst Tony Pauline filed a report and it he claims that Alabama running back Najee Harris is drawing the early attention of two teams in particular at the Senior Bowl, the Steelers, and the Miami Dolphins.

Harris, who measured in at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday at 6017, 230-pounds with 33 3/8-inch arms and 10-inch hands, is not expected to take part in practices this week, per Pauline. If that happens, odds are good that Harris will not play in Senior Bowl game on Saturday.

NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who is also in Mobile this week for the Senior Bowl, has Harris ranked 22nd overall on his top 50 2021 NFL Draft prospect rankings that he released Tuesday morning. Below is Jeremiah’s early thoughts on Harris.

Harris is a big, smooth running back who posted outstanding production during his Alabama career. He is very patient to let holes develop before sliding through the line of scrimmage on inside runs. He has tremendous contact balance, routinely absorbing a hit and finishing runs. He doesn’t have the juice to really stretch to the boundary on outside runs, preferring to quickly get his shoulders squared and turn upfield. He is sneaky elusive in space, though, and can drop his shoulder to run through tacklers. He’s an excellent pass catcher out of the backfield. He runs clean routes and has the ability to high-point the ball down the field. He’s aware and dependable in pass protection. Overall, Harris isn’t a home run hitter, but he’s a very skilled runner with excellent value in the passing game. I see similarities to former Chicago Bears star Matt Forte when he was coming out of college.

Obviously, Harris could be in play for the Steelers at 24th overall in the 2021 NFL Draft and especially if the team is set on selecting a top-rated running back early. The Steelers running game has been miserable the last several seasons for starters and on top of that, the only real locks they have to be back at the running back position in 2021 is Benny Snell Jr. and Anthony McFarland Jr.

During the 2020 season, Harris rushed for 1,387 yards and 24 touchdowns and he also caught 36 passes for another 346 yards and three touchdowns. For his college career, Harris rushed for 3,764 yards and 44 touchdowns in addition to catching 73 passes for 702 yards and another 10 touchdowns. Harris also registered 26 runs of 20 yards or longer during his college career at Alabama. It’s worth noting that Harris will reportedly turn 23 years of age in March.

It’s worth noting that the last time the Steelers selected a running back in the first-round of an NFL draft was in 2008 when they picked Rashard Mendenhall at 23rd overall.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/re...t-senior-bowl/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I hope he keeps dropping!

I believe he is the equivalent of Watt falling to us, although Parsons was thought of much more highly before he opted out of the 2020 season.

Here's a good breakdown of this kid's career and his versatility. Really, read the entire article. He can do anything on a football field, and was basically the best LB in the country after his sophomore season of NCAA football.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/m...te-linebacker/

I think that the 2020 draft is really setting up to reward savvy teams and punish dumb ones. Teams that are like "Herp...derp...kid hasn't played in a year...no underwear olympics....blah blah....PASS!" are going to see talented NFL players show up across the field from them on Sundays while their own draft picks look worse by comparison.

Clever teams that look at all the information, watch tape, work their networks of contacts for information and evaluations are going to draft a guys that have people saying "Who?" and "REACH!!" on draft day(s) but then by the middle of their rookie year will be on their way to being fan favorites.

2021 Senior Bowl Rosters, Weigh-Ins, & Measurements

By Dave Bryan

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/20...-measurements/

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think that the 2020 draft is really setting up to reward savvy teams and punish dumb ones. Teams that are like "Herp...derp...kid hasn't played in a year...no underwear olympics....blah blah....PASS!" are going to see talented NFL players show up across the field from them on Sundays while their own draft picks look worse by comparison.

Clever teams that look at all the information, watch tape, work their networks of contacts for information and evaluations are going to draft a guys that have people saying "Who?" and "REACH!!" on draft day(s) but then by the middle of their rookie year will be on their way to being fan favorites.

Every team is going to be dealing with a unique situation because of the wonderful world of COVID.

I think it does make everything more of a challenge, but there is also the possibility to steal some players if you did your homework correctly while others didn't.

I believe it also makes it much easier to really miss on a player that sat out the year. There are many players that really blossom as players in their third or fourth year. They literally turn into a completely different player when everything just clicks. I'm not sure how teams are going to get there based on limited tape and a lot of time away from the game. Those that get it right are going to be rewarded and have the chance to have drafts that set a franchise up for a decade.

If teams go by the tape and see a player with upside, but then find out he plateaued and will never realize the promise he showed as a younger player because he opted out of the season....it's a wasted pick.

It is going to be wild, and we won't know who really killed it until the real bullets start flying, and a little time goes by to see how the picks develop.

Let's hope the team aces the test.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Some people claim that the combine skews player evaluation and that drafting would be better just using on field performance through film evaluation. Well..... now we’ll see if this is true with the class of 2021.

- - - Updated - - -

2021 Senior Bowl Rosters, Weigh-Ins, & Measurements

By Dave Bryan

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/20...-measurements/
    Jamie Newman is a big boy.

The O-line from 'Bama looks amazing. At one point, I jokingly had all of them mocked to the Steelers... but, really, it is not such a bad idea.

Deonte Brown looks like a fire plug with feet. Alex Leatherwood has loooooong arms. And, Landon Dickerson, while he cannot play due to injuries, he was on the field coaching the other players.

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2021 NFL Draft prospect rankings 1.0

Published: Jan 26, 2021

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jere...t-rankings-1-0

Steelers spending quite a bit of time focusing on Najee Harris.

Speaking of which, his agent told him NOT to practice. Something, something your draft stock could be hurt yadda-yadda. Najee practiced anyway and replied (something to the effect of): “I’m here to play.”

Okay. I just fell in love.

Steelers spending quite a bit of time focusing on Najee Harris.

Speaking of which, his agent told him NOT to practice. Something, something your draft stock could be hurt yadda-yadda. Najee practiced anyway and replied (something to the effect of): “I’m here to play.”

Okay. I just fell in love.

You gotta love a kid that's just a football player.

No posturing. No bullshit.

Just tell me where to go and I'll ball out.

Awesome! He just won my heart. Thanks for that.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

You gotta love a kid that's just a football player.

No posturing. No bullshit.

Just tell me where to go and I'll ball out.

Awesome! He just won my heart. Thanks for that.
    I be Leary of guys like the Penn State guy you mentioned. Wonder if his heart is really into football ? Guys like NH is who you want to draft! Would also be cool to see the last name Harris on a Steeler RB in the uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I be Leary of guys like the Penn State guy you mentioned. Wonder if his heart is really into football ? Guys like NH is who you want to draft! Would also be cool to see the last name Harris on a Steeler RB in the uniform.

Micah Parsons opted out of the season because he has a 2 year old daughter, and he was concerned with the risk of COVID. With all the unknown at the time these people had to make these decisions, I'm not holding it against him. Making a decision to protect your daughter from risk doesn't diminish what I think of him as a player in any way. It's not like he's getting paid a million dollars by the school.

Everything I've heard or seen from him says he loves football and he wants to be a great football player.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I be Leary of guys like the Penn State guy you mentioned. Wonder if his heart is really into football ?
    I think quite a few GMs will think that. Others will pass on the opted-out players because they don’t have “recent” game tape of them. Others will say that these guys suddenly forgot how to play football after a year off.

In turn, as mojoUW stated above... the smart teams will see guys like Parson drop right into their laps.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not like he's getting paid a million dollars by the school.
    Indeed... he didn’t attend Alabama.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I hear that Quinton Morris, TE is doing very well...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I hear that Quinton Morris, TE is doing very well...
    you're getting Shoes all excited.

Nick Farabaugh
    @FarabaughFB

Jan 20

This offensive line class is so insanely deep at all 3 positions. Maybe a little thinner at Center, but there's still a good deal of quality guys there. There will be guys going early day 3 that are going to be quality NFL lineman.

If you need OL, this is a good draft for you.

https://twitter.com/FarabaughFB/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Micah Parsons opted out of the season because he has a 2 year old daughter, and he was concerned with the risk of COVID. With all the unknown at the time these people had to make these decisions, I'm not holding it against him. Making a decision to protect your daughter from risk doesn't diminish what I think of him as a player in any way. It's not like he's getting paid a million dollars by the school.

Everything I've heard or seen from him says he loves football and he wants to be a great football player.
    Thanks and didn't know that.

- - - Updated - - -

I still want a Alabama player in the 1st ,prefer Mac Jones but love NH too.