Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Matt Canada new OC

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Matt Canada new OC

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    When this team hit the part of the schedule with better competition, they looked terrible. Early schedule was alot of lousy teams and some we barely got by.

I'd also say that it takes most new offenses several games to be caught up with .

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    The average dropped to 26pts.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

If you believe Art Rooney II, Matt Canada will have one primary job in 2021

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...s-run-game-nfl

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

In reading between the lines...Art TOASTED Fichner! Zero questionas to where he(correctly) placed blame for our offensive shit show last season. Let's see if any other team is stupid enough to pick him up....doubtful.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So this article says Canada’s offense is complex but the last article said his offense was simple?

Maybe the offense is complex but the language is simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    No I'm just waiting to read one positive thing from you. Maybe you'd be happier as a Browns fan.
    We cannot all be mindless lemmings. You are content with mediocrity and poor play. You're the type of person who doesn't want better.

Maybe you would be happier as a Browns fan. In your mind they are great because you would be told they are great.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    We cannot all be mindless lemmings. You are content with mediocrity and poor play. You're the type of person who doesn't want better.
    we aren't mindless lemmings, we're not content with mediocrity and poor play and we do want better.

it's just that we have all found that constant negativity doesn't do any good, the Rooneys won't return our texts and listen to a damn word we say.

so why not just sit back and enjoy your Pittsburgh Steelers and sprinkle in some positive comments about your favorite team every once in awhile?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    we aren't mindless lemmings, we're not content with mediocrity and poor play and we do want better.

it's just that we have all found that constant negativity doesn't do any good, the Rooneys won't return our texts and listen to a damn word we say.

so why not just sit back and enjoy your Pittsburgh Steelers and sprinkle in some positive comments about your favorite team every once in awhile?

Lack of Aggressiveness on Offense

Stat Line: Where are the passes over the middle?

I get it. Matt Canada doesn’t want to show too much in a meaningless preseason game, but does that mean the Steelers can’t attack the middle of the field in the passing game? A lot of the passes on Thursday night were just check downs or the Randy Fichtner style quick hitting passes. It is early, but I would love to see the offense start being more aggressive down the middle of the field, especially in the preseason.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...lysees-gilbert

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Lack of Aggressiveness on Offense

Stat Line: Where are the passes over the middle?

I get it. Matt Canada doesn’t want to show too much in a meaningless preseason game, but does that mean the Steelers can’t attack the middle of the field in the passing game? A lot of the passes on Thursday night were just check downs or the Randy Fichtner style quick hitting passes. It is early, but I would love to see the offense start being more aggressive down the middle of the field, especially in the preseason.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...lysees-gilbert
    I had the same thoughts. Especially when Haskins was in there. We know he has no issues with arm strength. Was it actually an issue with play calling? Receivers not getting open? Or a QB competition where no one wants to risk a pick on their resume from throwing into tight windows?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It was the first preseason game…

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

IMO, As long as #7 is under center, don't count on this offense changing too much in 2021.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It was the first preseason game…
    Of course. And all analysis should be taken with that HUGE Boulder of salt. Also Ben wasn’t in there and we have no idea what the game plan would be for him.

But when you have a competition for the #2 QB you’d want to try some stuff out to test them both. Historically Rudolph has had two gears: check down, and deep down the sidelines. I’d want to see him try to hit more crossing routes in fairly tight windows or find the soft spot in the zone for more than 10 yards down the field. And after seeing Haskins in Dr. Check Down mode as well, I’d be looking to see the same stuff from him.

That’s why my question is, was it really the play calling? Or were the QBs playing it safe so as not to potentially look worse than the other? Is Haskins with his stronger arm afraid to use it? Which just makes him a Rudolph clone with worse footwork.

Again, huge caveat that it was just the first preseason game, but these are the things we are going to reasonably discuss as we go.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

I’d rather have the league believe the Steelers are no different than they were under sphincter, and then blow the doors off in surprise under Canada’s new system.

Imagine the offense is just so good we go 4-0 to start the year… beating Buffalo week one and Green Bay week 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

All that motion pre-snap seemed to be for finding the quickest open WR to get the ball to. I didn't see anything special that isn't already programmed into Ben's 18 year QB mind in that 1st preseason scrimmage. I did like that Canada's run game was able to pick up a couple short yardage 1st downs, even though everybody knew the run was coming. That was an improvement. Hopefully he can find a way to make McFarland/Samuels look like NFL caliber RBs for scrimmage #2. Ballage made them both look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    All that motion pre-snap seemed to be for finding the quickest open WR to get the ball to. I didn't see anything special that isn't already programmed into Ben's 18 year QB mind in that 1st preseason scrimmage. I did like that Canada's run game was able to pick up a couple short yardage 1st downs, even though everybody knew the run was coming. That was an improvement. Hopefully he can find a way to make McFarland/Samuels look like NFL caliber RBs for scrimmage #2. Ballage made them both look silly.
    I think the writing is on the wall for Samuels. He has no role on this team. He was supposedly good at catching out of the backfield, but we just drafted a guy in the first round who is way better at that than he is.

I don’t know how many RBs we keep on the active roster, but I see Harris, McFarland, Ballage, and maybe Snell. Plus Watt at FB. I don’t see how Samuels stays.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I think the writing is on the wall for Samuels. He has no role on this team. He was supposedly good at catching out of the backfield, but we just drafted a guy in the first round who is way better at that than he is.

I don’t know how many RBs we keep on the active roster, but I see Harris, McFarland, Ballage, and maybe Snell. Plus Watt at FB. I don’t see how Samuels stays.
    Maybe you are correct about Samuels. But do you happen to know who the OC was at NC State when Samuels played there?

I’d keep Samuels over Snell.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d keep Samuels over Snell.
    Because Ben is comfortable with him on the sideline?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist the cross- thread callback.

Probably because Ben is more comfortable that he’s be productive. Lol.