Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Matt Canada new OC

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Matt Canada new OC

Jeremy Fowler
    @JFowlerESPN

The #Steelers are finalizing a deal with Matt Canada to become their offensive coordinator, per source. Deal is considered imminent.

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/stat...5Es1_&ref_url=

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Cool, now where is the O line coach and new QB coach?? Here we go.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Done and announced.

Canada promoted to offensive coordinator https://www.steelers.com/news/canada...ve-coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Only issue I have hoping Canada stays around long enough to make a difference or get is scheme going over the past with him he never stays at a spot longer then 2 years. Hopefully being an NFL OC will make him stay around longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

I pray that his first order of business is to see Ben onto his life's next endeavor.....and wish him the best.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Now where is the new HC? Same junk next year.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Browns fan club ------------------------------------------------------------->

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

I actually hope the hire was done by the FO and not Tomlin. If Tomlin has offensive input, then I fear our offence will be "offensive"! The FO needs to tell Tomlin to keep his hands off the offence to give Canada an opportunity to show what he's got and improve the Steelers O. Canada also needs to be examining his needs and compiling a list of priorities for the draft. Make no mistake about it, this draft needs to lean heavy on the offensive side of the ball!

Mark Kaboly
    @MarkKaboly

I know it was limited what I was able to observe this season compared to regular years but from the far outside, it seemed like Matt Canada and Ben Roethlisberger had a good relationship. 7 spoke of him well when he was asked. 7 worked on footwork when OCMC asked.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly?ref_s...gr%5E&ref_url=

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I just hope this wasn't a "Keep Ben Happy" move, or it's the same shit next year

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Browns fan club ------------------------------------------------------------->
    You’re a Browns’ fan. Why?
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Maybe Canada can replace him next year...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    I actually hope the hire was done by the FO and not Tomlin. If Tomlin has offensive input, then I fear our offence will be "offensive"! The FO needs to tell Tomlin to keep his hands off the offence to give Canada an opportunity to show what he's got and improve the Steelers O. Canada also needs to be examining his needs and compiling a list of priorities for the draft. Make no mistake about it, this draft needs to lean heavy on the offensive side of the ball!
    That’s a new one. I’ve seen people complain about many things about Tomlin, but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say that Tomlin is messing with the offense. Really. Not sure how much “legs” this line of thinking has.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

You’re a Browns’ fan. Why?
    No I'm just waiting to read one positive thing from you. Maybe you'd be happier as a Browns fan.

I have no problem with this promotion. Last year, we were all excited Canada was with us. What changed? It's not like he had control of the offense.

As for the defense, so what if Tomlin calls the plays? That's a very small part of the overall roll of a coordinator. He can be the best playcaller around, but if he can't coach his players during the week and prep them for the game, if he can't get all his assistants on the same page so the defense is working together at game time, then none of the plays called will work.

I've been critical of the defense in the past, but after seeing the defense rebuilt under Tomlin and Butler, I'm good with whatever way they spread the responsibilities. And no, I don't hold the D responsible for this year at all. Not with all the injuries at linebacker we suffered.

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That’s a new one. I’ve seen people complain about many things about Tomlin, but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say that Tomlin is messing with the offense. Really. Not sure how much “legs” this line of thinking has.
    Well, it's not out of the ordinary for a head coach to have an offensive or defensive philosophy he want his coordinators to follow and coach to. Tomlin never coached a 3-4 defense until he came here but he's been calling plays on the d side for years. Rumors about clashes with Lebeau were out there as well! Apparently he called the entire Cleveland game, you know, the one his defense gave up 48 points. Slow starts on offence? An ultra conservative coach like Tomlin could be the one forcing the "probe" style offence. I have no doubt Tomlin inputs his genius into the offence, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I have no problem with this promotion. Last year, we were all excited Canada was with us. What changed? It's not like he had control of the offense.

As for the defense, so what if Tomlin calls the plays? That's a very small part of the overall roll of a coordinator. He can be the best playcaller around, but if he can't coach his players during the week and prep them for the game, if he can't get all his assistants on the same page so the defense is working together at game time, then none of the plays called will work.

I've been critical of the defense in the past, but after seeing the defense rebuilt under Tomlin and Butler, I'm good with whatever way they spread the responsibilities. And no, I don't hold the D responsible for this year at all. Not with all the injuries at linebacker we suffered.
    I like this change as well. I think any creativity at all in the 2020 offense came from Canada (or Ben on the fly).

My theory is that people want a fresh face (which Canada is). Canada is “tainted” because he’s been with the organization for a year and has Fichtner stink on him. So automatically, he’s going to suck. But in reality what they want but don’t want to admit is that they want a new QB (Lamar Jackson) and. A new OC (Andy Reid) and a new head coach (Belichick) or maybe just Ben to totally buy in to what Canada is going to be selling...which no one is convinced it will change.

Once you see that wrap around draw play as the OL takes one step back to run block: “Everyone should be fired, should’ve traded for Aaron Rodgers, Mike Tomlin sucks and on and on and on...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    Well, it's not out of the ordinary for a head coach to have an offensive or defensive philosophy he want his coordinators to follow and coach to. Tomlin never coached a 3-4 defense until he came here but he's been calling plays on the d side for years. Rumors about clashes with Lebeau were out there as well! Apparently he called the entire Cleveland game, you know, the one his defense gave up 48 points. Slow starts on offence? An ultra conservative coach like Tomlin could be the one forcing the "probe" style offence. I have no doubt Tomlin inputs his genius into the offence, do you?
    Belichick runs the defense in New England (no matter who the DC is); the same essentially goes for Tomlin in Pittsburgh. Likewise, it has been well-reported that Butler will "lose the reins" at halftime when his defense is laying an egg (as in: Tomlin takes over, makes halftime adjustments, and does not involve Butler in the process).

Why would Tomlin be so "controlling" you ask? Well, The Rooneys forced LeBeau on Tomlin, and they also promised Butler the DC job after LeBeau moved on.

As far as offense goes, Tomlin might have a philosophy ("running a RB into the ground"), but aside from that, there has been very little evidence/reports of him having much to do with any part of the offense (except for his penchant for seeing "something" in WRs). As far as OCs go, he was saddled with Bruce Arians, and forced to hire Todd Haley... and Fitchner was also a Rooney hire.

(NOTE: I find it extremely odd that Tomlin does not get to choose his own staff. I kind of get it when he was a rookie HC, but 14 years in... .)

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Belichick runs the defense in New England (no matter who the DC is); the same essentially goes for Tomlin in Pittsburgh. Likewise, it has been well-reported that Butler will "lose the reins" at halftime when his defense is laying an egg (as in: Tomlin takes over, makes halftime adjustments, and does not involve Butler in the process).

Why would Tomlin be so "controlling" you ask? Well, The Rooneys forced LeBeau on Tomlin, and they also promised Butler the DC job after LeBeau moved on.

As far as offense goes, Tomlin might have a philosophy ("running a RB into the ground"), but aside from that, there has been very little evidence/reports of him having much to do with any part of the offense (except for his penchant for seeing "something" in WRs). As far as OCs go, he was saddled with Bruce Arians, and forced to hire Todd Haley... and Fitchner was also a Rooney hire.

(NOTE: I find it extremely odd that Tomlin does not get to choose his own staff. I kind of get it when he was a rookie HC, but 14 years in... .)
    Normally I agree with you but... Fichtner was a Tomlin hire. That's his buddy from Arkansas St.

Also I think it was a fantastic hire.
    Fichtner's mandate was to improve the red zone offense and keep Ben from getting hit. Fichtner did both. The two years Ben was healthy the Steelers were 1st and 5th in red zone TD %, and the Steelers scored the 2nd and 4th most points in Ben's career.

Fichtner is an excellent OC. Ben's deep ball is terrible now and it limits the playcalling. The next OC will be worse not better.

People (not you) seem to think Ben is capable of a 500+ point season like P Manning or Brees but he's shown no evidence of that. He needs to go back to being a game manager and I doubt Tomlin will make him. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Normally I agree with you but... Fichtner was a Tomlin hire. That's his buddy from Arkansas St.

Also I think it was a fantastic hire.
    Fichtner's mandate was to improve the red zone offense and keep Ben from getting hit. Fichtner did both. The two years Ben was healthy the Steelers were 1st and 5th in red zone TD %, and the Steelers scored the 2nd and 4th most points in Ben's career.

Fichtner is an excellent OC. Ben's deep ball is terrible now and it limits the playcalling. The next OC will be worse not better.

People (not you) seem to think Ben is capable of a 500+ point season like P Manning or Brees but he's shown no evidence of that. He needs to go back to being a game manager and I doubt Tomlin will make him. It is what it is.
    Randy? Is that you?

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

I’m not overly concerned with Canada... (Insert pun) yet.

He will likely have a year and slim chance of two with Ben as the play caller.

If there is a preseason, I’ll hold my judgement til then, especially with the addition of a new’ish system.

We all will see what gets changed rather early with Rudy and Haskins battling it out both in a new system... and in the last game see if Ben can adjust and or tolerate the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    I learned my "one new thing" for today.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Canada looks a bit better each NFL wide OC hire. I'm all for fresh blood and new faces. But a surprising # of hires that never called plays.

What is a "passing game coordinator" anyways?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Must be why the Steelers averaged 29 points and put 12 in the win column.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just because it's easy to prepare for doesn't mean you can stop it.

I don't care about complicated. I do want to efficient and effective.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    When this team hit the part of the schedule with better competition, they looked terrible. Early schedule was alot of lousy teams and some we barely got by.

I'd also say that it takes most new offenses several games to be caught up with .

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Multiple players? Name them so that next season we can try harder to make the game more fun for them. Don't want to bore them with 'easy'.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Out of curiosity how many people think that Roethlisberger is capable of putting up 500 points in a season but the OC have held him back?