Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matt Canada new OC

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Matt Canada new OC

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I'm not sure that Canada is necessarily the OC that Ben wants.

but I agree with you, I'm also tiring of us catering to everything that Ben wants.
    I think Ben would want Canada over bringing someone in from the outside.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think Ben would want Canada over bringing someone in from the outside.
    that's a good point, I sure hope Canada isn't forced to kiss Ben's ass like Fichtner did.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

that's a good point, I sure hope Canada isn't forced to kiss Ben's ass like Fichtner did.
    I would hope that a 39 year old QB, who is long past his prime would have little ability to force anything to happen.

Ben will go into the HOF, he is owed his money on his contract, but at this point he is purely short term position holder and not part of any long term success that would bring the Steelers another Lombardi.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Mark Madden: Steelers promoting Matt Canada falls under ‘status quo,’ ‘definition of insanity’

MARK MADDEN | Monday, January 18, 2021

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-mad...n-of-insanity/
    I'm not a big Madden fan but he's right more often than not. Did the Steelers even interview other OC's?
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I'm not a big Madden fan but he's right more often than not. Did the Steelers even interview other OC's?
    Perhaps that is what they are doing now and if so I hope it's not Tomlin's buddy caldwell. We don't need any more "old buddies" on the coaching staff.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Hopefully they’re doing actual interviews and not mailing it in because whoever it is — good or bad, we’re going to be stuck with them for 4 years.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I thought the whole idea of bringing Canada in last year was for this possibility? Which would mean they interviewed him last year and felt he had alot to offer.

Whoever they bring in likely has to design an offense around what Ben has left to bring to the table for at least one year and hope to draft or find a good QB after that.

For a prospective candidate point of view that may not be a job ya want. Plenty of teams with clearly known QB situations liking for OCs.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    I thought the whole idea of bringing Canada in last year was for this possibility? Which would mean they interviewed him last year and felt he had alot to offer.

Whoever they bring in likely has to design an offense around what Ben has left to bring to the table for at least one year and hope to draft or find a good QB after that.

For a prospective candidate point of view that may not be a job ya want. Plenty of teams with clearly known QB situations liking for OCs.

Well...... that was OUR idea. I'm not sure if it was there's.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Well, at least we know where you are getting this trash opinion. Step in the right direction. Next, find better sources for your opinions.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Perhaps that is what they are doing now and if so I hope it's not Tomlin's buddy caldwell. We don't need any more "old buddies" on the coaching staff.
    I think Jim Caldwell is a good coach. I would not object to him being on the staff, maybe as QB coach.

I still find it interesting that the alleged Canada promotion hasnt been confirmed...but whatever.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think Jim Caldwell is a good coach. I would not object to him being on the staff, maybe as QB coach.

I still find it interesting that the alleged Canada promotion hasnt been confirmed...but whatever.
    He may be but I'm gun-shy after the Fichtner & Butler combo attached to Tomlin's hips. Neither have earned their pay check imo. Fichtner has been spit-shining Bens shoes and Tomlin has been doing Butlers job for the last year or so.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Where is the info on Tomlin being the actual DC and calling the defensive plays? Other than occasionally like HC will do? Can somebody post the links on this? I'm curious who is responsible for one of the best defenses in the NFL currently. If Tomlin is doing all that he deserves more credit than he gets.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/ro...-during-games/

Has it changed much since this article?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Where is the info on Tomlin being the actual DC and calling the defensive plays? Other than occasionally like HC will do? Can somebody post the links on this? I'm curious who is responsible for one of the best defenses in the NFL currently. If Tomlin is doing all that he deserves more credit than he gets.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/ro...-during-games/

Has it changed much since this article?
    I don't remember where it was posted and who provided the information, but the Steelers related internet has become convinced that Tomlin calls most of the defensive plays during the 2020 season.

Basically it fits with most fans ideas/theories/opinions that both Fichtner and Butler are clown shows of coordinators. Not sure it is actually the truth or just Twitter speculation...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't remember where it was posted and who provided the information, but the Steelers related internet has become convinced that Tomlin calls most of the defensive plays during the 2020 season.

Basically it fits with most fans ideas/theories/opinions that both Fichtner and Butler are clown shows of coordinators. Not sure it is actually the truth or just Twitter speculation...
    The article I posted is only a year old and talks about how Tomlin and Butler work together calling the defense. Almost like Butler is the DC that defers to the HC. I just don't know how uncommon that actually is. Sean Payton has an OC but calls most of the offensive plays in NO, so does that mean the coordinator sucks or serves as an extension of the HC?

The article I posted is only a year old and talks about how Tomlin and Butler work together calling the defense. Almost like Butler is the DC that defers to the HC. I just don't know how uncommon that actually is. Sean Payton has an OC but calls most of the offensive plays in NO, so does that mean the coordinator sucks or serves as an extension of the HC?
    Part of it is because the Steelers are super silent on how all this works. Even more so than a great deal of teams. Opens the door for speculation.

Basically, you have to remember that when the Steelers succeed it means the players are awesome. When they fail, it means the players are just football playing robots that are totally controlled by the awful coaches.

I wonder how much of the Canada situation is being held up by time needed to interview, how much of the 'expected to be promoted' is made up for clicks, and how much Canada wants assurances since Tomlin is up for his extension also.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

One guess is the steelers didn't expect canada to interview elsewhere. Once it hit the press that he was inline for the miami job they had to jump if they wanted him .

It all seems pretty awkward. Honestly since Tomlin came onboard all the hires and fires seem totally dysfunctional .

Merry Christmas

How are the hires and fires any different than other franchises? Speculation, rumor, debunked speculation, more rumor, and then a real report comes out.

The only difference I typically see is that the Steelers, overall, leak less than most other franchises which leads to more wild speculation to fill the void.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Matt Canada Promoted to Offensive Coordinator: Biggest Beneficiaries

By: Connor Deitrich | January 19, 2021

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/202...beneficiaries/

There have been reports of this flying around the past few years and there is no question Tomlin has taken the play calling over at least some of the time. IMO if you had a good trustworthy D coordinator, why would you do that when Butler has been here so long? He (Tomlin) didn't call plays when LeBeau was here, (but probably should have)

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, however, it was the case during Sunday’s loss to the Cleveland Browns that Tomlin was, in fact, calling “all the defensive signals” against the Cleveland Browns. He also asserts that this has been the case for “most of the season, if not longer”.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...g-last-season/. Ed bullshit

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/du...-sunday-night/ I couldn't get into the PPG article.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    There have been reports of this flying around the past few years and there is no question Tomlin has taken the play calling over at least some of the time. IMO if you had a good trustworthy D coordinator, why would you do that when Butler has been here so long? He (Tomlin) didn't call plays when LeBeau was here, (but probably should have)

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, however, it was the case during Sunday’s loss to the Cleveland Browns that Tomlin was, in fact, calling “all the defensive signals” against the Cleveland Browns. He also asserts that this has been the case for “most of the season, if not longer”.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...g-last-season/. Ed bullshit

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/du...-sunday-night/ I couldn't get into the PPG article.
    I guess it's just not that big of a deal to me. Most HCs that were offensive guys call their own offensive plays with help from an OC. Most HCs that were defensive guys call plays too. I haven't seen anything that makes me think this is a different situation. HCs call plays, why would we not expect Tomlin to?

I guess it's just not that big of a deal to me. Most HCs that were offensive guys call their own offensive plays with help from an OC. Most HCs that were defensive guys call plays too. I haven't seen anything that makes me think this is a different situation. HCs call plays, why would we not expect Tomlin to?

Me either, I don't lose any sleep over this stuff. Well maybe I do since the games at 8pm ET are 2AM for me.

Its like you say, with regards to Payton calling plays. I think we can lump guys like McVay, Andy Reid, Kevin Stefanski, Doug Pederson, etc into that group of Head coaches (current or former) that like to be the play caller, because of their affinity for being a former OC. They still have an OC, who does weekly installation of the offense, oversees the position coaches to implement game plan, route combinations, blocking assignments, etc. But on Gameday they get the call sheet.

Similarly, Tomlin may over see the Offense, Special Teams and Defense separately, so that he knows what is progressing, what options, formations, plays, fakes, etc are available...but he may be more interested and involved in the Defense and want to be the guy that calls the defensive calls on gameday.

I dont think its that big of a deal. You still need a DC to manage the weekly install of game plan and new formation, blitz packages, personnel groupings, coverage schemes. If the HC is over checking out the Offense or Special Teams, Training staff, guys on the injury report, etc....the Defense cant be standing around in practice waiting for him to come back and run the Defense.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

While play calling is important it's limited by the skills of the personnel. Early in the year many in the national media pegged the Steelers as the biggest threat to KC because they could get pressure rushing 4 or 5. That ability to get home without "bringing the house" really opens up the play book regardless of who is calling the plays. Even after the loss of Bush, I thought the defense remained pretty unpredictable. However, by the time Bud went down it seemed couldn't get pressure without blitzing save for TJ using his out of this world athleticism. It might not have been just the loss of Bud. IMO, there was also a drop off in pressure from the D'line.

I guess the conclusion I'd draw is that the D was much more unpredictable early in the year. And, while play calling was a factor, the lack of unpredictability isn't entirely a result of lack of skill at play calling.

As for play calling on offense, i'm not going to excuse Fitcher. He has proven over multiple years to be lacking in creativity to say the least. However, the principle does apply. And remains a shadow over Canada's early tenure. When your offensive line can't run block through a wet paper bag, it really limits how creative you can be.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers are apparently interviewing Hue Jackson for the OC job, according to CBS news. I would post, but too iPad challenged to figure out to copy and paste from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Steelers are apparently interviewing Hue Jackson for the OC job, according to CBS news. I would post, but too iPad challenged to figure out to copy and paste from it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...on-per-report/

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    an extension of the Rooney Rule now requires all teams to interview at least one minority candidate to hire assistant coaches.

Matt Canada will still be named as our OC.

an extension of the Rooney Rule now requires all teams to interview at least one minority candidate to hire assistant coaches.

Matt Canada will still be named as our OC.
    And Russ Grimm will be our head coach. Strange things happen when more interviews occur.

Of course, it was YOUR breaking story! lol

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And Russ Grimm will be our head coach. Strange things happen when more interviews occur.

Of course, it was YOUR breaking story! lol
    well, I can be premature at times

just ask my wife.

Report: '99.9 % a done deal' Canada is next Steelers offensive coordinator

The Fan's Andrew Fillipponi says a source with the Steelers tells him it's pretty much a done deal

By Andrew Limberg Andrew Fillipponi

January 22, 2021

Since originally being reported last weekend that current Steelers quarterbacks coach Matt Canada was going to be hired as the team’s new offensive coordinator, Pittsburgh has reportedly interviewed at least two others for the position.

But according to 93.7 The Fan’s Andrew Fillipponi, Canada is going to be the next OC.

The PM Team co-host said a source tells him “It’s 99.9 percent a done deal.”

Steelers sources have told me Matt Canada will be the team's next OC. One said "It's 99.9% a done deal." But there are some things left unsettled. Like will Canada stay on as QBs coach. It's possible Pep Hamilton or Hue Jackson could be hired as QB coach.
    — Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) January 22, 2021
    Canada has been with the Steelers for only this season, his first job as an assistant in the NFL, and the first pure QB coach the team has had in years.

The 48-year-old dazzled with the motion and innovation he put together at Pitt in his only season with the Panthers in 2016. The Panthers jumped nearly 12 points a game, averaging 40.9 during his one season as offensive coordinator.

Since his career started in 1994 as a graduate assistant at Indiana. It would be Canada’s tenth different offensive coordinator job and first in the pros.

But with that promotion, does that mean Canada will stay on as quarterback’s coach, or will the Steelers try to replace him with one of the candidates they reportedly interviewed for the OC job this week.

Those names are Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton.

Jackson was the head coach for the then-Oakland Raiders in 2011, going 8-8 but still losing his job as a general manager who didn't hire him, Reggie McKenzie, took over control of the organization.

Following his first stint as a head coach, Jackson joined Marvin Lewis' staff with the Cincinnati Bengals, serving in a variety of roles in four seasons with the team. After he succeeded Jay Gruden as the team's offensive coordinator for two seasons, Jackson got hired as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

Even though the Browns didn't make any bones about attempting to bottom out organizationally and obtain draft capital, Jackson's two plus season stint as the head coach of the franchise was viewed as very unsuccessful. In 40 games as the head coach of the Browns, Jackson went 3-36-1, including guiding the team to the second 0-16 season in NFL history in 2017.

Jackson was fired by the Browns in late October of 2018, and, rather controversially, rejoined the Bengals coaching staff as a special assistant to Lewis during that same season. Since then, the 55-year-old has been out of the NFL.

Hamilton is currently the quarterbacks coach for the Los Angeles Charges and was previously the head coach and general manager for the DC Defenders in the XFL.

He is also the former offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts and was instrumental in the development of quarterback Andrew Luck.

After being bounced from the playoffs in the Wild Card round, the Steelers fired now former offensive coordinator Randy Fichner.

https://www.radio.com/937thefan/spor...xt-steelers-oc