Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chatter indicates Ben is coming back

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Chatter indicates Ben is coming back

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/re...back-with-him/

So to be like the cool kids...reports are saying that all the "chatter" leads to Ben R coming back in 2021.

To this I say...sure...that was always the most likely outcome....but it is also the one I am the most on the fence about. Head tells me it won't end well. Heart wants to talk head into Ben somehow getting better over the off-season and improving his obvious flaws from 2020.

Also, talk Ben wants a bunch of the FA guys back if he plays. To that I say....put your money where you mouth is. Interesting if Ben does anything with his contract to make that happen or if he just expects the team to break its long term cap "plan" to appease him (which is what has taken place in the past). If it is the later....maybe just tell him to retire?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Chatter indicates Ben is coming back

Ben is done. His prime is over. All he will be doing is start to collect bad games and bad years. Of course they'll let him play as long as he wants even as he sinks further past his prime years

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I never had any doubt. But I think his BFF Pouncey will be gone.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

No surprise, same can be said for next years season.

Senior Member Array title="ShoeHorn will become famous soon enough"> ShoeHorn's Avatar

Thank God. In all seriousness, who were the Steelers gonna get to play qb next year that is better than Ben, even at this stage of his career?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Of course they'll let him play as long as he wants even as he sinks further past his prime years
    It's the last year of his contract. He's got 40 million reasons to come back for one more time even with declining play.

I've already accepted that the Steelers have a definitive ceiling with Ben in 2021. Some regular season wins, but December/January is a brick wall.

Just keep developing Rudolph/looking for the future guys in the mean time.

In all seriousness, who were the Steelers gonna get to play qb next year that is better than Ben, even at this stage of his career?
    Mason Rudolph is better than this (declined) iteration of Ben. Mason also doesn’t cost a bundle to be mediocre. With Mason, you have hope that he develops, and if he doesn’t, eh, move on. With current Ben, you have no shot At anything whatsoever, and you cost the team valuable talent for the future because of his anchor of a contract.

The Steelers are paying current Ben Super Bowl Quarterback money for drastically lowering ceiling of contention. A Super Bowl is not in the cards anymore.

The only reason he's even back is because its a contract year for him and Tomlin. Make your money while you got it. Not because the Steelers believe he gives them the best chance to win.

I dread has the makings of getting extremely ugly. Like Favre/Packers divorce ugly.
    Last edited by Edman; 01-16-2021 at 04:39 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    It's the last year of his contract. He's got 40 million reasons to come back for one more time even with declining play.

I've already accepted that the Steelers have a definitive ceiling with Ben in 2021. Some regular season wins, but the playoffs are a brick wall. Assuming they even get there this time.

Just keep developing Rudolph in the mean time.
    Which is why I believe his comment about giving it up if he can't help the team is BS. Most of these guys can't make that decision because of Dollars and pride, that's when someone needs to step in and make it for them.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShoeHorn View Post
    Thank God. In all seriousness, who were the Steelers gonna get to play qb next year that is better than Ben, even at this stage of his career?
    Question is, do you want to pay the $19 Million to Ben so that he can be mediocre and basically do the same thing as this season??

Or, do you use that money on securing some young talent to contracts under the cap, instead of a 39 year old QB that now is about as accurate as Landry Jones was as a rookie? I get that they will spread out the contract for another season or 2, but at what point do you still pay $30 million to a QB that is worth $5million. Its like paying $20 for a T-bone steak that is so old its green.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Told you...it will be Ben, Rudolph and Dobbs or Duck or Rudolph, Dobbs and Duck...

Maybe they’ll still draft a guy but I’m guessing they go OL or LB with pick number one. Outside chance that it could be TE.

Next year (2022) maybe a QB...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Told you...it will be Ben, Rudolph and Dobbs or Duck or Rudolph, Dobbs and Duck...

Maybe they’ll still draft a guy but I’m guessing they go OL or LB with pick number one. Outside chance that it could be TE.

Next year (2022) maybe a QB...
    Did they pick Duck up again?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    trying to get their ducks in a row...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If he comes back, they absolutely need to give him a running game. Passing the ball 50 times a game at this stage in his career is not a recipe to success.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wasn’t he on the super secret Covid roster?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    If he comes back, they absolutely need to give him a running game. Passing the ball 50 times a game at this stage in his career is not a recipe to success.
    Is Ben willing to shed his ego for just a little to buy into it?

Running the football requires a shift in offensive philosophy. Like multiple formations, implementation of things like motion and play action. And more notably, dropping the Shotgun offense and draw plays. It also requires a shift in mentality. You have to run the football, and commit to physicality.

Is Ben with his diminished athleticism but increased control over the offense, willing to move out of his comfort (The Fichtner Shotgun) to a Game manager role in a run-favored offense? Even If it’s for just one season? I doubt it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Good-bye, Mike Hilton

Wasn’t he on the super secret Covid roster?
    I thought the steelers booted him?

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/20...es-stock-sold/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Time for Ben to sign a fake extension for ZERO additional dollars. Makes his 2021 cap hit about $20 million. Then the other millions are pushed to future years as voidable years. Basically Drew Brees contract.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He also wants JuJu back lol. Imagine if they really listen to Ben and let players like Hilton/Sutton walk.

How about you take a massive paycut Ben?
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He also wants JuJu back lol. Imagine if they really listen to Ben and let players like Hilton/Sutton walk.

How about you take a massive paycut Ben?
    yep, he said he wants to help the team win. That will help the team win.

Maybe waiting to see on Dobbs? If they can get Dobbs back, there may be no need to roster Duck again...unless there are COVID protocols into next season?

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

I'd much rather Ben retires, the money is needed for retaining players like Hilton and Dupree. Ben isn't a great QB anymore, hell he is average on a good day. Fans need to dump the thought Ben will around for 3-4 more seasons, if the OL wasn't so putrid the Steelers would be smart to trade up and get Bens replacement but RB and OL are desperately needed in the upcoming draft.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben coming back will cost enough cap space but now he wants the lesser version of Chad Ochocinco? If they choose Juju over Mike Hilton because of Ben I'm not gonna be happy. Frankly I say release him at a point that will cost the least cap space

But you don’t know what the contract details will be for next season...these things could (hopefully) change.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

All the neighbors have shiny new fast cars and we have an 18-year-old Hummer with high mileage and an oil leak.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Been a fan of Ben, but yeah, seems like he’s on his last legs, and don’t know if he has enough for one more year

if I had to choose between Ben and a downgraded defense versus Rudolph and the defense at full strength (with Hilton and Dupree returning) I’d lean toward the latter - assuming the O line is revamped and we get a great RB pickup in the draft (or FA)

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Ben coming back will cost enough cap space but now he wants the lesser version of Chad Ochocinco? If they choose Juju over Mike Hilton because of Ben I'm not gonna be happy. Frankly I say release him at a point that will cost the least cap space
    But you don’t know what the contract details will be for next season...these things could (hopefully) change.
    I think you are both kinda right. Franchise QBs that are in their prime and doing awesome franchise QB things get to dictate how their team's spend cap dollars and round out the roster. Just the way of the NFL world. Former franchise QBs in the twilight of their careers that can't just put an entire team on their back and gut out wins, don't get to make those calls any longer.

Which one is Ben at this point? And, more importantly, which one is he willing to acknowledge he is? That will be the story of the Steelers offseason.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, if Ben really wants one last shot, he must know he will need to restructure his contract to a Brees type deal. So maybe we get to keep the key pieces and draft OL and find a RB.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think you are both kinda right. Franchise QBs that are in their prime and doing awesome franchise QB things get to dictate how their team's spend cap dollars and round out the roster. Just the way of the NFL world. Former franchise QBs in the twilight of their careers that can't just put an entire team on their back and gut out wins, don't get to make those calls any longer.

Which one is Ben at this point? And, more importantly, which one is he willing to acknowledge he is? That will be the story of the Steelers offseason.
    Exactly this

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Good.

I was thinking about this today. What do we know about Ben? His arm is still strong and he is still able to get the ball downfield. So, there are no physical problems (he might not be the Ben of his mid twenties, but he still has physical tools that are at the very least, average).

Another problem with age is decision-making might slow down. But, he got the ball out earlier per play this year than pretty much ever. And, for the first 2/3rds of the season, did it very accurately. So, there's no problem with decision-making speed.

A third problem with age is the ability to recover. That, I think, might have come into play here. But that also has two other mitigating factors. The first one is the lack of a true bye-week. The second one is that he was coming off surgery. Even though he was ahead of schedule, I can't imagine he built his muscle stamina (both in the arm and in general) back up to cope with a full season. That leads me to think that age might have been a factor in the stretch but there are other issues that played into that as well.

So, what about next season? What might there be that would affect Ben positively?

• New Offensive Coordinator. The play calling definitely changed as the year progressed. Was that due to Ben's arm not being strong enough or something else? We won the game against the Colts by Ben opening up the offense and going deeper with his passes. I don't think his arm was the problem.
    • One year removed from surgery. While I don't think his arm was an issue per se (as in the previous post), I do think there is something to be said for not being able to workout like you normally would in the offseason. There's no way you can tell me that a year and a couple of months removed from rehab doesn't find you in a better place that a couple of months removed from rehab.
    • Matt Canada. I know, I already mentioned a new OC. But, if rumors are correct and Canada has the inside track, then Ben will not only benefit by a new OC, he'll benefit from a new OC that he already knows, and already knows him.
    • There's also the possibility we get a better line coach and see improvement there, which translates to a better run game, which also translates to a better passing game.

Does all this mean I think we'll get a 2008 Ben who could put the team on his shoulders and will it to a win in the waning moments of a game? No. But it does means I'm willing to let Ben earn his salary next year behind center and spend that first round draft pick on the line or a RB (I'd prefer to trade it for the following year's first-round pick so we can bundle them and move up in the draft, but the Steelers don't do that).