Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chatter indicates Ben is coming back

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Chatter indicates Ben is coming back

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    All the neighbors have shiny new fast cars and we have an 18-year-old Hummer with high mileage and an oil leak.
    I agree. I think even if he comes back and they stretch out the salary to make it able to choke down, the Steelers still need to find the QB of the future in the offseason, or some vet to bridge. Rudolph still has a way to go I think, but if there is somebody in the draft worth trading up, then go for it.

Essentially, we are in the 1983 Terry Bradshaw decline situation. Remembering the glory years, because what we see on the field isnt as impressive. Some fans dont want to believe its over, when it was over a couple years ago, but they just want to feel like they have a chance to win games on sundays and live with mediocrity, and cling to that hope they can get back to 2008 Super Bowl form with Ben one last time.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Chatter indicates Ben is coming back

All the neighbors have shiny new fast cars and we have an 18-year-old Hummer with high mileage and an oil leak.
    That fast, shiny black and purple car that was running yesterday had some sort of electrical problem and conked out...again...

Sometimes it’s not so bad to throw a quart of oil in the engine once a month to get by until you can afford something better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That fast, shiny black and purple car that was running yesterday had some sort of electrical problem and conked out...again...

Sometimes it’s not so bad to throw a quart of oil in the engine once a month to get by until you can afford something better.

The shiny new fast car put 3 points on the board without a dominant running game and snaps flying by him.....go figure.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He still has one more playoff win than Ben the past 4 years.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

RAVENS FANS: But, but, but... our top three QBs were out with injuries.

OTHER FANS: Yes... we know. It’s what happens to QBs who run more than they pass.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

He also has an OC who game plans around his and his players talents . . .

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If he comes back and a great QB is available in round #1 they have to draft that QB and send the message loud and clear that this is your last year here. I'm too lazy to go out and look at what would happen if they cut him and what the important dates are to cut him to minimize our CAP hit.

After watching Rodgers play last night and calmly take apart the "#1 defense" in the league it's sad to think what Ben has become. Rodgers didn't look a year younger than Ben, he looked 10 years younger.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    He also has an OC who game plans around his and his players talents . . .
    Make no mistake. Ben had the OC that HE WANTED.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

True. BUt people don't look twice at a 10-year old Hummer on the side of the road leaking oil. But if you are on the side a little further up the road in your shiny new black and purple speedster, people will definitely slow down and laugh, some may even point and if it's a young punk kid, you may get hit with a chocolate shake from sonic...and that could ruin your paint job...

True. BUt people don't look twice at a 10-year old Hummer on the side of the road leaking oil. But if you are on the side a little further up the road in your shiny new black and purple speedster, people will definitely slow down and laugh, some may even point and if it's a young punk kid, you may get hit with a chocolate shake from sonic...and that could ruin your paint job...
    You seem fixated on only one neighbor's car.

You seem fixated on only one neighbor's car.
    A little or maybe I just take offense to people making fun of old Hummer's.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

A little or maybe I just take offense to people making fun of old Hummer's.
    The old Hummer was a nice vehicle when it wasnt so old. Now its leaking, the wheel bearings are worn, the engine needs an overhaul, as its burning oil. It might get you to the local grocery store every few days, but its not reliable enough to get you on any kind of long haul. Plus, you still owe $20 million on it, because you kept putting the finance payments on your Discover card at 20% interest.

So if you want to look ok around the neighborhood, but never really travel anywhere, then the old Hummer is your automobile. Otherwise, if you want to actually get to your destination, its time to start looking at a new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The old Hummer was a nice vehicle when it wasnt so old. Now its leaking, the wheel bearings are worn, the engine needs an overhaul, as its burning oil. It might get you to the local grocery store every few days, but its not reliable enough to get you on any kind of long haul. Plus, you still owe $20 million on it, because you kept putting the finance payments on your Discover card at 20% interest.

So if you want to look ok around the neighborhood, but never really travel anywhere, then the old Hummer is your automobile. Otherwise, if you want to actually get to your destination, its time to start looking at a new ride.
    Yeah probably. But the fast shiny sports car isn’t necessarily that great. Maybe something like a Porsche Cayenne? Maybe a Lambo Urus? Even one of those high performance Jeep Grand Cherokees may be nice?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Ben will give YOU half of his $41M or half of his $19M....100% SHOULD NOT RETIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Ben will give YOU half of his $41M or half of his $19M....100% SHOULD NOT RETIRE!
    Ben is getting the $22,250,000, whether fans like it or not, whether they understand it or not! That is signing bonus and deferments of contract that were part of restructures. That money is GUARANTEED ! That counts against the cap, whether he retires, stays, is released, etc.

The extra $19million is what is variable. It is $4mil salary for 2021 and a $15million Roster Bonus that is due the 3rd day of the new league year. (sometime in March I think)

The question is that if the Steelers want him back and he wants to come back, can they do an extension to spread that $41 million over 2 years, so its not cap crippling, or something close. There is zero need to be in cap hell with a $41million cap hit for a QB who has the skills of Ryan Fitzpatrick, when you can just save the $19million and move forward.

I never understood the fans that resent an athlete being paid the money that is contractually owed to him. They are either bitter people, jealous, uninformed, plain ole dumb, or a combination. Especially in the NFL where there are NO guaranteed contracts.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Combination of all that I think. If we are already paying the guy ~$20m, may as well see if we can get him to restructure to a contract that only pays him that $$ and the rest we could erase the following years (if he agreeable to that) and use him one last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Combination of all that I think. If we are already paying the guy ~$20m, may as well see if we can get him to restructure to a contract that only pays him that $$ and the rest we could erase the following years (if he agreeable to that) and use him one last year.
    Nope. He should not do that.

$9,750,000 is from restructured money that he already would have been paid, had he not restructured his deal a few years ago, to provide cap relief. Its money the Steelers owe him from going to the "Bank of Ben", so they could sign other players.

$12,500,000 is from his last signing bonus. Its part of the guaranteed money given to a player in the contract. Teams do not pay the guaranteed money all at once, its spread out over the length of the contract. Example, $20million signing bonus on a 5 year deal means the player gets $4million a season in signing bonus over that 5 years(guaranteed).

If I am Ben, or his agent, all of that $22million is owed and I am collecting it. I would want at least another $5 million for the upcoming season. Not sure the mechanics of it, but something like sign an extension that pays an extra $5million in signing bonus and $1 in salary, which defers the roster bonus of $15million to next season and spreads the signing bonus to $8.8 per year for 2021 and 2022, with the $9.75 being paid in 2021. Basically he gets $18.5 in 2021 and another approx $8.8million in 2022 guaranteed.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Do people even read the stuff posted about what the options are with Ben's contract? It really isn't hard.

Almost everything posted here about reducing Ben's cap charges is just fantasy.

EGJ has about the best take on it.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Do people even read the stuff posted about what the options are with Ben's contract? It really isn't hard.

EGJ has about the best take on it.
    personally I don’t care if it’s 10 mill, 20 or 40. I don’t want to relive 2020 season with a 39 year old QB who cant do things we’ve come to expect as fans. it’s frustrating and sad to watch. give him his 20 million and cut ties. Maybe Patriots will sign him if he has competitive juices still flowing. There is a small chance if Ettiene or Harris is drafted and get some O line help Ben could manage game and be effective but anymore effective than Mason ? cut the cord, pay him his money and start finding QB of future.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It exhausting to me that "fans" want a guy who lead this team for 17 seasons and ALWAYS gave us a chance to make the playoffs to basically just walk away from money HE has pushed down the road for the benefit of the team. I don't care if it's $2 or $200M it's HIS money. Maybe my memory is fading but it seems just last season the team won 8 games without Ben and won 12 games this season with Ben. His old crippled ass falling forward for 2 yards every play.

It's not that I want the franchise to be hamstrung by not enough money to re-sign FAs or bring in new FAs, but I feel like the guy has earned his payday with the organization. And if that means we as "fans" take a hit with a bad season or 2 then so be it. Again, it's HIS money. The Ben could do this or that so it's not such a burden is totally beside the point and not even what many of you are suggesting about the situation at all.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    let's just cut Ben and use that $41 million to sign Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

let's just cut Ben and use that $41 million to sign Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson.
    And bring back Dupree and Juju! Plus Mike Hilton - he's so gritty!!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

With all those savings, let's not forget to sign the entire All-Pro roster at Vet minimum.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It exhausting to me that "fans" want a guy who lead this team for 17 seasons and ALWAYS gave us a chance to make the playoffs to basically just walk away from money HE has pushed down the road for the benefit of the team. I don't care if it's $2 or $200M it's HIS money. Maybe my memory is fading but it seems just last season the team won 8 games without Ben and won 12 games this season with Ben. His old crippled ass falling forward for 2 yards every play.

It's not that I want the franchise to be hamstrung by not enough money to re-sign FAs or bring in new FAs, but I feel like the guy has earned his payday with the organization. And if that means we as "fans" take a hit with a bad season or 2 then so be it. Again, it's HIS money. The Ben could do this or that so it's not such a burden is totally beside the point and not even what many of you are suggesting about the situation at all.
    he’s absolutely earned his pay day, the question is is he going to earn 20 mill for being released or 40 mill for playing. either option a great deal for Ben and his family. I don’t have a say as a fan, but my hope is he’s not back. It’s easy for me though, Ben has never been my favorite Steeler. I still appreciate all he’s done and will watch his induction into HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    he’s absolutely earned his pay day, the question is is he going to earn 20 mill for being released or 40 mill for playing. either option a great deal for Ben and his family. I don’t have a say as a fan, but my hope is he’s not back. It’s easy for me though, Ben has never been my favorite Steeler. I still appreciate all he’s done and will watch his induction into HOF.
    He is going to get the $21million just because its part of the contract he signed a few years ago. Its already been earned.

I dont really know that the Steelers can afford to pay him the entire $40 million and still sign other good players. I hope they find a way to either stretch it out another year if they want him back, or else just release him and have his contract off the books for 2022.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ben gets $21 million whether he retires, plays, gets cut, becomes a coach, or starts messaging on here under the username"HelmetsSuck".

The difference is the $19 million.

If he retires, it would be nice to have that $19 million to re-sign Mike Hilton and/or Cam Sutton. (Up until a few days ago, I would have added JuJu to this list, but the vitriol spewing from Pittsburgh has probably burned that bridge.)

If the Steelers traded for Watson/Stafford, they could certainly use that $19 for the younger QB. And, as I mentioned in the other thread (about Watson), he is young enough that his $40 million/year contract can be finagled over the next eight seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ben gets $21 million whether he retires, plays, gets cut, becomes a coach, or starts messaging on here under the username"HelmetsSuck".

The difference is the $19 million.

If he retires, it would be nice to have that $19 million to re-sign Mike Hilton and/or Cam Sutton. (Up until a few days ago, I would have added JuJu to this list, but the vitriol spewing from Pittsburgh has probably burned that bridge.)

If the Steelers traded for Watson/Stafford, they could certainly use that $19 for the younger QB. And, as I mentioned in the other thread (about Watson), he is young enough that his $40 million/year contract can be finagled over the next eight seasons.
    don't be surprised if this happens:

How Voidable Year Contract Extensions Might Play Into Steelers Early Offseason Plans

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/ho...fseason-plans/

Quote Originally Posted by Istina View Post
    I think the 15 million signing bonus is part of the 2021 cap hit for Ben which he is getting regardless. So, of the 41 million due Ben, he's getting 15 million for sure, that leaves 26 million to spread into future years. If they do a 1 year zero dollar extension, that would be 13 million + 15 million and Ben would still be a 28million cap hit in 2021. I think that is how they do this but I'm not certain, someone check me on this.
    That sounds about right. I was just too lazy to check the actual numbers from previously posted sources.

Here is the one I have been using: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/08/lo...ing-scenarios/

Which provides this detailed bit: "...he could agree to an extension that would add four more years and not require any new money in 2021 and accept all of his $15 million roster bonus and $2.925 million of his $4 million base salary that he’s due as a signing bonus. In short, all but $1.075 million of the $19 million due Roethlisberger in 2021 would be turned into a signing bonus and four additional voidable years added to the quarterback’s contract...would result in the Steelers saving $14.34 million in 2021 cap space as Roethlisberger’s new cap charge would be $26.91 million."

don't be surprised if this happens:

How Voidable Year Contract Extensions Might Play Into Steelers Early Offseason Plans

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/ho...fseason-plans/
    Sadly, the one that will be a big cap casualty is Bince.