Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44

Thread: Time to get excited about LBs again.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Time to get excited about LBs again.

    I know the offense needs some juice in this draft. But there are some difference maker prospects on the defensive side that require some notice too.

    Zaven Collins, 6'4"-260, Defensive Homewrecker. Listed as a LB but plays everything on the defensive side of the ball. And plays it well. TP43 with bulk.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLv9OEOo_DE

    Nick Bolton, 6'0"-232, ILB. Just watch how smoothly this guy gets through traffic and to the ball carrier.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJjk883DF_g

    Cameron McGrone, 6'1"-232, ILB. Listed as ILB but this guy has SS skillset to me. ILB/SS/NB
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy-pgL9LLqk

    Joseph Ossai, 6'3"-245, OLB. Maybe this year's Highsmith.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSvxsXGgYXE

    Jaelan Phillips, 6'5"-258, OLB. Lines up at inside or outside. This is one of those guys with the motor that never quits.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mD2JQOPvZQ

    I hope you guys actually watch these highlight films. These are some gamechanger talent, IMO.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Zane Collins is the player du jour. Iíve been hearing his name associated with every team between pick 6 and pick 32.

    I like the tape/highlights of Nick Bolton. Scratch that. I LOVE the tape/highlights of Nick Bolton!!! It seems (from what Iím reading) we would have to take him at 24. As I said on the other thread, Iím willing to take an ILB just about anywhere in this draft.

    Cameron McGrone appears to be (from what Iím reading) an early Day 3 type of pick. That would be fine by me.

    Ossai is an OLB, and IMO, Iím fine with Highsmith. I think we add a late-round rotation guy.

    Jaelen Phillips seems to be a Jack of all trades. A possibility at 55.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Zane Collins is the player du jour. I’ve been hearing his name associated with every team between pick 6 and pick 32.

    I like the tape/highlights of Nick Bolton. Scratch that. I LOVE the tape/highlights of Nick Bolton!!! It seems (from what I’m reading) we would have to take him at 24. As I said on the other thread, I’m willing to take an ILB just about anywhere in this draft.

    Cameron McGrone appears to be (from what I’m reading) an early Day 3 type of pick. That would be fine by me.

    Ossai is an OLB, and IMO, I’m fine with Highsmith. I think we add a late-round rotation guy.

    Jaelen Phillips seems to be a Jack of all trades. A possibility at 55.
    I think we should add box safeties/NB prospects to this thread as well. Mojouw brought up this guy on another thread,Hamsah Nasirildeen, 6'4"-220, SS:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQCKPJ4iw3A

    I love the beginning of this process. So many interesting prospects to sort through and find the guys that match team needs, scheme fit, athleticism, character, etc. Top level football nerd stuff.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Top level football nerd stuff.
    https://memes.yarn.co/yarn-clip/4bb8...d34ce101b/text

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    13,623

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think we should add box safeties/NB prospects to this thread as well. Mojouw brought up this guy on another thread,Hamsah Nasirildeen, 6'4"-220, SS:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQCKPJ4iw3A

    I love the beginning of this process. So many interesting prospects to sort through and find the guys that match team needs, scheme fit, athleticism, character, etc. Top level football nerd stuff.
    I like the idea of a NB/SS type being drafted. One, if Hilton leaves...imagine a dude like in the highlight video replacing him. Also, I honestly believe that teams like Cleveland are going to continue to give them fits because they force the defense into weird alignments where they are too concerned about the run to go into a pure pass defense sub package and too worried about the pass to play total run defense -- and you get LBs on pass catchers.

    A dude who can tackle and cover like some of the players mentioned in this thread takes that indecision out of the equation.

    Maybe we will FINALLY see their much talked about and NEVER rolled out 3 safety package?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Zane Collins is the player du jour. I’ve been hearing his name associated with every team between pick 6 and pick 32.

    I like the tape/highlights of Nick Bolton. Scratch that. I LOVE the tape/highlights of Nick Bolton!!! It seems (from what I’m reading) we would have to take him at 24. As I said on the other thread, I’m willing to take an ILB just about anywhere in this draft.

    Cameron McGrone appears to be (from what I’m reading) an early Day 3 type of pick. That would be fine by me.

    Ossai is an OLB, and IMO, I’m fine with Highsmith. I think we add a late-round rotation guy.

    Jaelen Phillips seems to be a Jack of all trades. A possibility at 55.
    From the OLB POV, we currently have Highsmith and Watt under contract. Until we re-sign Ola or Elliott or both there is zero depth at that position. I feel very good moving forward with Watt and Highsmith as the projected starters, just don't want to overlook an OLB prospect in the meantime. Especially when Watt and Highsmith can rotate in at ILB some and all 3 could see the field at the same time. Another 'beast' LB whether OLB, ILB, NB would not be a bad thing. I have only just started looking at most of these guys. Some I have seen play and made note of, but not many.

    Zane Collins is a 'freak'. Someone that large should not move that fast. So much suddenness and glide.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    From the OLB POV, we currently have Highsmith and Watt under contract. Until we re-sign Ola or Elliott or both there is zero depth at that position. I feel very good moving forward with Watt and Highsmith as the projected starters, just don't want to overlook an OLB prospect in the meantime. Especially when Watt and Highsmith can rotate in at ILB some and all 3 could see the field at the same time. Another 'beast' LB whether OLB, ILB, NB would not be a bad thing. I have only just started looking at most of these guys. Some I have seen play and made note of, but not many.

    Zane Collins is a 'freak'. Someone that large should not move that fast. So much suddenness and glide.
    OLB:
    The way I see it is this: we have two good starters in Watt and Highsmith, but at ILB, we have Bush and Spillane (with Bince likely a cap casualty). Likewise, our O-line is paper thin; the guys who are there are aging quickly; and Pouncey and AV will likely will be gone (as they probably should be). Plus, there’s a chance that we could lose both Hilton and Sutton (and Haden might be a cap casualty). Lastly, both Ebron and McDonald could be cut, and even if they stay, they need to be replaced.

    SUMMATION:
    OT, OC, TE, ILB, NB are all bigger needs than OLB. I’d add a R7/RFA OLB into the mix, but there are too many other positions that have to be addressed with the early picks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    OLB:
    The way I see it is this: we have two good starters in Watt and Highsmith, but at ILB, we have Bush and Spillane (with Bince likely a cap casualty). Likewise, our O-line is paper thin; the guys who are there are aging quickly; and Pouncey and AV will likely will be gone (as they probably should be). Plus, there’s a chance that we could lose both Hilton and Sutton (and Haden might be a cap casualty). Lastly, both Ebron and McDonald could be cut, and even if they stay, they need to be replaced.

    SUMMATION:
    OT, OC, TE, ILB, NB are all bigger needs than OLB. I’d add a R7/RFA OLB into the mix, but there are too many other positions that have to be addressed with the early picks.
    Agreed, to the extent of solely OLB. That would not be a smart pick in the 1st/2nd round at this time.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,970

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    OLB:
    The way I see it is this: we have two good starters in Watt and Highsmith, but at ILB, we have Bush and Spillane (with Bince likely a cap casualty). Likewise, our O-line is paper thin; the guys who are there are aging quickly; and Pouncey and AV will likely will be gone (as they probably should be). Plus, there’s a chance that we could lose both Hilton and Sutton (and Haden might be a cap casualty). Lastly, both Ebron and McDonald could be cut, and even if they stay, they need to be replaced.

    SUMMATION:
    OT, OC, TE, ILB, NB are all bigger needs than OLB. I’d add a R7/RFA OLB into the mix, but there are too many other positions that have to be addressed with the early picks.
    OK, but what about D line depth??

    Cam and Alualu getting kind of old. Tuitt has a history of season ending pec and biceps tears, so a bit of wear on him already. Buggs, Wormley, Mondeaux, Davis arent exactly inspiring depth players IMO. The Browns and Ravens run games, will beat up on that D line group 4 times a year and the Steelers will be fighting for 3rd in the division unless it gets some help.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    OK, but what about D line depth??

    Cam and Alualu getting kind of old. Tuitt has a history of season ending pec and biceps tears, so a bit of wear on him already. Buggs, Wormley, Mondeaux, Davis arent exactly inspiring depth players IMO. The Browns and Ravens run games, will beat up on that D line group 4 times a year and the Steelers will be fighting for 3rd in the division unless it gets some help.
    Indeed You can add that position to the list of positions Iíd draft before an OLB. In my two mocks that Iíve posted (who knows where), I have two D-linemen being taken late Day 2/early Day 3.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,970

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Indeed You can add that position to the list of positions I’d draft before an OLB. In my two mocks that I’ve posted (who knows where), I have two D-linemen being taken late Day 2/early Day 3.
    Cool ! I'm still not as panicked by the O line, as much as I think the Steelers really need D line.

    Even if Pouncey retires and AV and Feiler are let walk, but the Steelers sign Banner I am good with Okorafor, Dotson, (rookie or FA vet C) DeCastro, Banner as the O line, with some depth like another rookie OT, Hawkins, Isadora, etc. I think Derwin Gray was on the way to being a good RT, so unfortunate that he got left unprotected, but IMO a QB, D line, RB are more needed. Can get a G/C with a premium pick, but depth on day 3 IMO. Similar with OLB depth, or Free Agency.

  12. #12
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    38,878

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    D-Line depth comes in the form of the trade for JJ Watt.


  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    D-Line depth comes in the form of the trade for JJ Watt.
    Indeed!!!

    Iíve stated a few times (and completely serious) that when the Texans release JJ, he will sign with the Steelers for a ďhometownĒ discount (i.e. to play on the same team as his brothers). His contract simply replaces Alualuís contract.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Cool ! I'm still not as panicked by the O line, as much as I think the Steelers really need D line.

    Even if Pouncey retires and AV and Feiler are let walk, but the Steelers sign Banner I am good with Okorafor, Dotson, (rookie or FA vet C) DeCastro, Banner as the O line, with some depth like another rookie OT, Hawkins, Isadora, etc. I think Derwin Gray was on the way to being a good RT, so unfortunate that he got left unprotected, but IMO a QB, D line, RB are more needed. Can get a G/C with a premium pick, but depth on day 3 IMO. Similar with OLB depth, or Free Agency.
    Here’s how I’d draft:

    R1: center
    R3: OT to compete with Okorafor and Banner

  14. #14
    Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Triadl NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,874

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Collins and Bolton look really good.

    I don't watch alot of college level football but one observation, they are always clean. While lot easier to make plays without NFL talent cutting you and chipping you. These highlights the guys never get more than a weak arm block

    But talented none the less.

    Steelers and Colbert will do as usual, fill as many holes as possible with cheap FAs(Haskins) and go into the draft without any emergency needs. They could easily take either of these guys and really have some great talent.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Any 1st person opinions on Tariq Thompson as a NB? SDSU #14.

    Also on Talanoa Hufanga? S/NB USC.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O68zZiU8SQc

    https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/202...-to-shoot-for/


    1 more, Paris Ford? S/NB Pitt.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 01-24-2021 at 10:32 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Divine Deablo: His name may be an oxymoron but his instincts look sharp. Just highlights for now but I would like to look deeper at this Safety/NB prospect.

    6'3"-226, 33 starts, 206 tackles, 12.5TFL, 17passes defensed, 6INTs, 3forced fumbles, 2fumble recoveries(1TD)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6a1hCEyEw

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em6Sg2Kpk1M

  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    JaCoby Stevens: ILB playing Safety for LSU. Also played some snaps at WR. 6'1"-228. 190 Tackles, 21.5TFL, 4INTs, 19passes defensed, 4fumble recoveries.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onoYFdAgN9c

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    re: Tariq Thompson
    I’ve gotten tired of watching Aztec DBs look like Day 3 steals... only to see them fail miserably. SDSU always has a defensive star (usually a safety or corner) that gets my hopes up. I’m not doing it this time... which means that Thompson will be a stud.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Zaven Collins is the great internet unknown. Tough to find really anything solid or concrete on him game-wise. I think he is slowly becoming my favorite 1st round target in the 2021 draft though. Put together all the small tidbits of info I do find on him and it all paints a pretty impressive picture.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Iw9SqRyDI

    Highschool stats, amazing....played QB,LB, and Safety. Had over 4000 yards rushing with 54TDs, passed for over 3000 yards and 32TDs. = High football I.Q.

    RSFreshman at Tulsa...played in 12 games with 10 starts, 85tackles, 1.5sacks, 1INT.
    Sophomore at Tulsa...started all 12 games with 97tackles, 2sacks.
    2020 Junior year at Tulsa....wins Bronco Nagurski Trophy, wins Chuck Badnarik Award, wins AAC Defensive POY Award, Unanimous All-American(First Team).

    Why is there no access to game film on this player? Here are some highlights though to get the curiosity hopefully ramped up and you guys can help find some footage.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4lyquPMrBM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVn8RBIUnmI


    Just found this on HogsHaven. Check it out!
    https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/1/18/...r-answer-at-lb

    Excellent look at Zaven Collins and his versatility.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 02-11-2021 at 08:30 AM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,970

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    re: Tariq Thompson
    Iíve gotten tired of watching Aztec DBs look like Day 3 steals... only to see them fail miserably. SDSU always has a defensive star (usually a safety or corner) that gets my hopes up. Iím not doing it this time... which means that Thompson will be a stud.
    May I present Darren Hall?


  21. #21
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,970

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Zaven Collins is the great internet unknown. Tough to find really anything solid or concrete on him game-wise. I think he is slowly becoming my favorite 1st round target in the 2021 draft though. Put together all the small tidbits of info I do find on him and it all paints a pretty impressive picture.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Iw9SqRyDI

    Highschool stats, amazing....played QB,LB, and Safety. Had over 4000 yards rushing with 54TDs, passed for over 3000 yards and 32TDs. = High football I.Q.

    RSFreshman at Tulsa...played in 12 games with 10 starts, 85tackles, 1.5sacks, 1INT.
    Sophomore at Tulsa...started all 12 games with 97tackles, 2sacks.
    2020 Junior year at Tulsa....wins Bronco Nagurski Trophy, wins Chuck Badnarik Award, wins AAC Defensive POY Award, Unanimous All-American(First Team).

    Why is there no access to game film on this player? Here are some highlights though to get the curiosity hopefully ramped up and you guys can help find some footage.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4lyquPMrBM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVn8RBIUnmI


    Just found this on HogsHaven. Check it out!
    https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/1/18/...r-answer-at-lb

    Excellent look at Zaven Collins and his versatility.
    I watched a few Collins highlight videos and the Ok State game and SMU games. I think his best fit is OLB in the Steelers defense.

    Collins plays the WILL LB in Tulsa 3-3-5 defense and flows well to the football from the weak side. He has a lot of false steps at ILB and plays the run with Alligator Arms. He too often lets the O linemen get to him and doesn't lock out and shed the blocker to get to the ball carrier. My guess is that if his strength testing will not be great and his deficiency at the point of attack is why he isnt playing MLB in that alignment(along with his speed). He does blitz the interior well, using his long arms to swat the OG trying to block him. Often finishes his tackles high and would need some development as an ILB (IMO).

    As on OLB, he uses his long arms vs OT's to set the edge well and in the pass rush, to get the OT arms off of him. I dont see a lot of quick first step as most of his outside pass rush comes from a blitz on a rolling start. He may have quickness, but on tape he looks to have buildup speed after a couple steps. He drops well in outside zones to pickup his pass responsibilities and does a good job reading the QB eyes and receivers routes. Seems to have good feel for game, or football IQ in recognizing screens and route combinations.

    I question his motor from those 2 games. He got subbed out a lot vs Ok State and similarly came off the field in obvious passing downs vs SMU. Not sure if it was fitness from the pace of game, or they had better coverage options at LB in Dime, but he doesnt seem to be that guy that is "always around the football", which can admittedly be hard when always playing boundary side.

    Will be interesting to see how he measures at his pro day with regards to 40, short shuttle, vertical, Bench press etc. and if he is really 6'4"-260. What I see is 4.70-40 time, 14 reps at 225 lbs, 35 inch vertical and a mediocre short shuttle. He makes splash plays, but seems inconsistent at ILB vs the run game and his strength to set the edge vs the run as an OLB is unknown.


    -

  22. #22
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,970

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Here is the game film, just have to look for #23 Tulsa lined up on the weak side LB.




  23. #23
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I watched a few Collins highlight videos and the Ok State game and SMU games. I think his best fit is OLB in the Steelers defense.

    Collins plays the WILL LB in Tulsa 3-3-5 defense and flows well to the football from the weak side. He has a lot of false steps at ILB and plays the run with Alligator Arms. He too often lets the O linemen get to him and doesn't lock out and shed the blocker to get to the ball carrier. My guess is that if his strength testing will not be great and his deficiency at the point of attack is why he isnt playing MLB in that alignment(along with his speed). He does blitz the interior well, using his long arms to swat the OG trying to block him. Often finishes his tackles high and would need some development as an ILB (IMO).

    As on OLB, he uses his long arms vs OT's to set the edge well and in the pass rush, to get the OT arms off of him. I dont see a lot of quick first step as most of his outside pass rush comes from a blitz on a rolling start. He may have quickness, but on tape he looks to have buildup speed after a couple steps. He drops well in outside zones to pickup his pass responsibilities and does a good job reading the QB eyes and receivers routes. Seems to have good feel for game, or football IQ in recognizing screens and route combinations.

    I question his motor from those 2 games. He got subbed out a lot vs Ok State and similarly came off the field in obvious passing downs vs SMU. Not sure if it was fitness from the pace of game, or they had better coverage options at LB in Dime, but he doesnt seem to be that guy that is "always around the football", which can admittedly be hard when always playing boundary side.

    Will be interesting to see how he measures at his pro day with regards to 40, short shuttle, vertical, Bench press etc. and if he is really 6'4"-260. What I see is 4.70-40 time, 14 reps at 225 lbs, 35 inch vertical and a mediocre short shuttle. He makes splash plays, but seems inconsistent at ILB vs the run game and his strength to set the edge vs the run as an OLB is unknown.


    -
    And then there's this profile....https://www.profootballnetwork.com/z...sa-linebacker/

    Unfortunately there just isn't the game film out there to watch him over multiple consecutive downs with varying down and distance utilization. Still a lot of speculation on Collins. He has size, he has range, he has good technique.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Here is the game film, just have to look for #23 Tulsa lined up on the weak side LB.




    I'll have to go look these up on youtube. They won't allow full screen on here and my eyes can't see numbers on the small screen. Thanks for the links.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,970

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    And then there's this profile....https://www.profootballnetwork.com/z...sa-linebacker/

    Unfortunately there just isn't the game film out there to watch him over multiple consecutive downs with varying down and distance utilization. Still a lot of speculation on Collins. He has size, he has range, he has good technique.
    Yup, that profile makes sense. You can see that he doesnt have the speed of Devin Bush or Daruis Leonard to chase a RB to the edges and IMO is likely part of why he isnt a good ILB matchup with RB's in pass coverage.

    Watch the first 10 minutes of that Ok State game that I posted a link to and you see him get locked onto by O linemen and washed out of the play in the run game. Its why I think he needs a lot of work if he is going to play ILB and likely comes off the field on 3rd down, or moves out to pass rush?

    As an OLB, he has the size and length to be a pass rusher, but like that profile says about his long speed not being an issue, but rather the short area speed....I wonder if he has the quick enough first step to get to the edge, or is he just running a long arc around the OT? He gets into coverage really well, but again doesnt use his arms to lock out on the OT in the run game.

    Motor is the one thing I really would want to know. Highsmith never stopped hustling in the Bahamas Bowl his senior season. Likewise, he was relentless on the field in Shrine Game and reportedly in practice that week. Collins doesnt have that in those 2 games I put up, but maybe he wasnt in good shape in this short season?

  26. #26
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Very much still in this boat as far as looking at the 1st round BPA pick. Recently read an article that talked about the tendencies of the Steelers under Colbert. Mr Rooney definitely said improving the run game will be a big part and focus of this offseason, but that doesn't mean changing the organization's 'stripes'. By tradition, it is very unlikely the Steelers go with a RB or WR at the 24th overall pick. There are not those DL or edge rushers of 1st round value that scream Steelers in this class either. With Ben 'up in the air' for now, the emphasis seems to be on the OL. Colbert has stated in more than one interview that he sees OTs throughout this class which makes me think he has certain OTs in mind already. If 'his guy' should fall/have the value at 24 overall he may very well go OT, but personally I see that as a big IF based on those comments. Pouncey retiring definitely puts emphasis on drafting a Center. Maybe if Creed Humphrey is there at 24 that is the no-brain pick for Colbert? Maybe, as I have seen Humphrey on draft boards as high as late 1st round(to the Steelers) and as low as 3rd round. So who are the dynamic, franchise players on this draft board, almost guaranteed to be amongst the BPA at 24th overall? I keep coming back to Nick Bolton(described by many as a Bush clone/compliment) and Zaven Collins(still a bit unpolished but an athletic freak none the less). Was TJ Watt a finished product at OLB when he was selected at #30 overall?

    Just attempting to read the tea leaves maybe, but I keep coming up LB as the front runner for the Steelers at 24. Maybe if 'That OT' or Jaycee Horn should fall down miraculously to the 24th overall pick I go differently. Maybe.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,817

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    I know for some reason, people are obsessed with drafting an ILB in round 1 but I think it's a terrible idea. ILB is one of the least of their needs. Drafting an ILB because "How cool would it be to have another ILB who is fast" is the NFL draft equivalent of buying a 2nd TV before you pay your bills. BPA always needs to come with need into account and positional value, otherwise the team carries glaring weaknesses that end up catching up to them

  28. #28
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I know for some reason, people are obsessed with drafting an ILB in round 1 but I think it's a terrible idea. ILB is one of the least of their needs. Drafting an ILB because "How cool would it be to have another ILB who is fast" is the NFL draft equivalent of buying a 2nd TV before you pay your bills. BPA always needs to come with need into account and positional value, otherwise the team carries glaring weaknesses that end up catching up to them
    Wrong

  29. #29
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    According to the Steelers' BIG BOARD they have Parsons, Bolton, Collins, Browning, and Moses in their TOP 50.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,124

    Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

    Adding a new name to this thread. Janarius Robinson 6'5" 265lbs FSU. Listed as an EDGE Defender.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/...-florida-state

    This prospect's tape reminds me of Bud Dupree. He is a stout run defender and sets a good edge. Very athletic and powerful can get after the QB but is a bit unpolished and raw as a pass rusher. Lines up equally well with hand in the dirt or in 2pt stance. I also wonder if he can trim down about 15lbs and make the move to Buck ILB like another former Seminole Lawrence Timmons.

    Dupree 2015 scouting report
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...ort-breakdown/

    Timmons 2007 scouting report
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co.../27/135535/069

    I think Robinson falls into a combination LB of these 2 guys. Probably not a year 1 producer but enough there to coach into a quality OLB/ILB, IMO. Value him with maybe one of the 4th round picks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •