Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to get excited about LBs again.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Time to get excited about LBs again.

I never really considered Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah as a prospect because I just thought he would be gone long before the Steelers pick at 24. However, I have been seeing him drop all the way to the Browns and Saints in some recent mocks. I thought that since others believe he is a possibility we might talk about him as well.

Too small to be considered a true ILB in the Steelers' defense. But what he brings is that same functionality as Hilton as a blitzer, with the cover skills of Sutton, mixed with the splash play ability of TP43 due to his speed and explosiveness. He can line up at ILB, SS, and Slot CB on any given play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96LYAb7oJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGi4hJKi12s

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.co...2021-nfl-draft

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/...owusu-koramoah

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2021/...lm-room-video/

Plenty of video and articles on this prospect. These are just a few to get you started.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just wanted to put some of these LB pro days into a perspective. Some have posted that Zaven Collins ran a slow 40 and is therefore off their day1/2 boards. I think the Steelers could have several LB prospects in their sights, so here is a comparison of their pro day workouts.

Zaven Collins: 6'4"-259lbs, 4.67/40, 35" vert, 10'2"broad jump.

Nick Bolton: 6'0"-235lbs, 4.60/40, 32" vert, 4.5 20yd shuttle, 7.40 3-cone.

Baron Browning: 6'3"-240lbs, 4.53 and 4.58/40, 4.23 shuttle, 6.78 3-cone, 23 BP

Pete Werner: 6'3"-238lbs, 4.64 and 6.58/40, 39.5" vert, 10'2" broad, 4.38 shuttle, 6.95 3-cone, 20 BP

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

[QUOTE=teegre;759012]Zane Collins is the player du jour. I’ve been hearing his name associated with every team between pick 6 and pick 32.

I like the tape/highlights of Nick Bolton. Scratch that. I LOVE the tape/highlights of Nick Bolton!!! It seems (from what I’m reading) we would have to take him at 24. As I said on the other thread, I’m willing to take an ILB just about anywhere in this draft.

I've seen more than a couple guys rank Bolton ahead of Collin
    I'm becoming a bit of a Cox from LSU, fan.

AML

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Welcome back, TEXAS!!!

On the topic of linebackers, the Steelers have met with:

Nick Bolton, Mizzou
    Zaven Collins, Tulsa
    Micah Parsons, Penn St.
    JOK, Norte Dame
    Baron Browning, Ohio St.

For the later rounds, the Steelers have met with:

Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
    Jabril Cox, LSU
    Dylan Moses, ‘Bama
    Pete Werner, Ohio St.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Welcome back, TEXAS!!!

Nick Bolton, Mizzou
    Zaven Collins, Tulsa
    Micah Parsons, Penn St.
    JOK, Norte Dame
    Baron Browning, Ohio St.

Jabril Cox, LSU
    Dylan Moses, ‘Bama
    Pete Werner, Ohio St.
    Is Surratt more of a ILB/Safety hybrid player? If so, I may move him up on my probability board.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Is Surratt more of a ILB/Safety hybrid player? If so, I may move him up on my probability board.
    Honestly, I know little about him. Quite often, I’ve seen his name mentioned in connection with the Steelers... with his meeting with them being the most “important” connection.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Welcome back, TEXAS!!!

Nick Bolton, Mizzou
    Zaven Collins, Tulsa
    Micah Parsons, Penn St.
    JOK, Norte Dame
    Baron Browning, Ohio St.

Jabril Cox, LSU
    Dylan Moses, ‘Bama
    Pete Werner, Ohio St.
    I really think Collins will be gone, I'm almost certain Parsons and JOK will be gone. I'm not convinced Bolton and Browning are first round picks, but will they be there when we pick in the 2nd.

Cox and Surratt are better at pass coverage, Moses is a bit better against the run.

If the guy they like isn't there at 24 might this be a trade back opportunity?

AML

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Honestly, I know little about him. Quite often, I’ve seen his name mentioned in connection with the Steelers... with his meeting with them being the most “important” connection.
    The short story:

Was a very good HS QB, and drafted as such by UNC. Hurt is shoulder senior year. Redshirted. Played sparingly the year after. Surpassed by another freshman QB. Switched to defense. Has excelled there with basically only 2 years of playing time at the position.

So, while you'll hear positives like athletic, speed, burst, toughness... they are usually followed by undersized, inconsistent, underdeveloped.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    The short story:

Was a very good HS QB, and drafted as such by UNC. Hurt is shoulder senior year. Redshirted. Played sparingly the year after. Surpassed by another freshman QB. Switched to defense. Has excelled there with basically only 2 years of playing time at the position.

So, while you'll hear positives like athletic, speed, burst, toughness... they are usually followed by undersized, inconsistent, underdeveloped.
    Agree. Some think he can add onto his 6'3" 230lb frame and get stronger to be a better run defender. His brother is likely a Day 3 pick at WR from Wake Forest also.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I really think Collins will be gone, I'm almost certain Parsons and JOK will be gone. I'm not convinced Bolton and Browning are first round picks, but will they be there when we pick in the 2nd.

Cox and Surratt are better at pass coverage, Moses is a bit better against the run.

If the guy they like isn't there at 24 might this be a trade back opportunity?
    That sounds about right.

An interesting few stats about Cox:
    352 coverage snaps
    41 targets
    0 TDs allowed
    0 penalties
    3 INTs

Trading down is always a good idea... I just do not think that it happens. In fact, I could see them trading up a few spots, if their guy is within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    The short story:

1) Are you a Tarheel? (I am assuming you know this information from being a fan/alum.)

2) I would put him on the punt coverage team... and add in a "fake punt / LB pass" to the repertoire.

3) With a name like Chazz... I assume that he looks like Sunshine (from Remember the Titans).

That sounds about right.

An interesting few stats about Cox:
    352 coverage snaps
    41 targets0 TDs allowed
    0 penalties
    3 INTs

Trading down is always a good idea... I just do not think that it happens. In fact, I could see them trading up a few spots, if their guy is within reach.
    I know you're right, I can't remember when the steelers have traded out of the 1st round. Have they ever?

AML

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I know you're right, I can't remember when the steelers have traded out of the 1st round. Have they ever?
    Had to look this up and totally forgot.

I couldn't find any trades out of the 1st round from 1969-present. However in 1990, they traded back w/the Cowboys and Jimmy J picked Emmitt Smith at #17 and Steelers got Eric Green at #21.

2001, they traded back to #19 w/the Jets who got our #16 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Had to look this up and totally forgot.

I couldn't find any trades out of the 1st round from 1969-present. However in 1990, they traded back w/the Cowboys and Jimmy J picked Emmitt Smith at #17 and Steelers got Eric Green at #21.

2001, they traded back to #19 w/the Jets who got our #16 pick.
    Yep. they have only "not had a R1 pick" in the last draft (which they traded for Minkah).

Not a single mention of Buddy Johnson in this thread!!!!! Shame on us all!