Thread: Ray's end-of-season report card

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Ray's end-of-season report card

Ray's end-of-season report card. Pretty spot-on.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202101140170

STEELERS’ END-OF-SEASON REPORT CARD

Quarterback: Ben Roethlisberger threw just three interceptions in the first nine games of the season, but he had 10 over his final seven games. He still can be effective, but his bad turnovers killed the Steelers late in the season and especially in the playoffs. Grade: C

Running backs: Ball placement was an issue all season no matter who was toting the ball. Time to draft a back that can thrive in the new offensive system. Grade: D

Receivers: This group has a ton of potential with Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson still on their rookie contracts, but the drops late in the season contributed to the offense’s demise. Cut those out and this group can be part of the solution. Grade: B-

Offensive line: Once among the NFL’s best, it’s now a detriment to the offense. Father Time caught up to some good players. It happens. Now it’s time to blow it up. Grade: F

Defensive line: Cam Heyward is one of the best interior defensive linemen in the NFL, Stephon Tuitt had a career-best 11 sacks and Tyson Alualu was strong as a run-stopper in the middle. They need some better depth, though. Grade: B

Linebackers: T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree turned in terrific seasons on the outside. The inside was a mess because of injuries and COVID. The hope is things get better when Devin Bush returns. Grade: B

Secondary: Minkah Fitzpatrick earned All-Pro honors for the second year in a row. The unit was good as a whole, but there were too many big plays made in the passing game late in the season and the playoffs. Grade: B

Special teams: Chris Boswell is solid when he’s healthy, but his health has been problematic twice in the past three seasons. Ray-Ray McCloud breathed some life into the return game early in the season, but then he petered out late in the year. Grade: C

Coaching: Mike Tomlin is entering the final year of his contract. After three consecutive late-season collapses, it’s fair to say his performance in 2021 will go a long way toward determining whether he’ll still be the head coach in 2022. Grade: D

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Re: Ray's end-of-season report card

Pretty generous grading. I couldn't give above B on anything.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think most of those are fair. I would’ve graded the receivers lower. Probably C to C+?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think most of those are fair. I would’ve graded the receivers lower. Probably C to C+?
    I don’t know, the game planning to stop using our best WR so he wouldn’t tire wasn’t on them. The drops were a problem later, but passing 3yds into stacked zones was more an issue. I think the grade is accurate.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Pretty generous grading. I couldn't give above B on anything.
    Neither did Ray.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

What two months of bad coaching can do to 11-0 team.

I'd say:

QB B- Ben was solid overall. You try playing with THIS OL, WR's and TE's who drop the ball often and Randy F as the OC. Even Mahomes or Rodgers would drop a letter grade.
    RB D Conner is our best of now. How many other teams would he start on? His in-ability to run wide makes it harder to pass.
    WR -B This position has some talent.
    TE - C Not really Ebron fan. McDonald did little.
    OL C- The decline on Pouncey and DeCastroDeparts was obvious. Big Al was just okay. RT remains an issue, and does the other guard spot.
    DL B We have a lot of talent at this spot
    LB - B+ Watt was excellent. Dupree was excellent when healthy. There's good depth at OLB and ILB
    DB B Our back 5 and 6 are pretty good as a unit. Edmunds still can't tackle though.
    ST B- Boswell didn't miss many. Berry came back and played his best ever. Ray-Ray gave us a return game. Kick coverage units were sold. We could use a better LS.
    Coaching D The standard remains the standard. Tomlin needs to go.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Front Office: Fired Fitchner and the O-line Coach. A+++++++++++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    What two months of bad coaching can do to 11-0 team.

I'd say:

QB B- Ben was solid overall. You try playing with THIS OL, WR's and TE's who drop the ball often and Randy F as the OC. Even Mahomes or Rodgers would drop a letter grade.
    RB D Conner is our best of now. How many other teams would he start on? His in-ability to run wide makes it harder to pass.
    WR -B This position has some talent.
    TE - C Not really Ebron fan. McDonald did little.
    OL C- The decline on Pouncey and DeCastroDeparts was obvious. Big Al was just okay. RT remains an issue, and does the other guard spot.
    DL B We have a lot of talent at this spot
    LB - B+ Watt was excellent. Dupree was excellent when healthy. There's good depth at OLB and ILB
    DB B Our back 5 and 6 are pretty good as a unit. Edmunds still can't tackle though.
    ST B- Boswell didn't miss many. Berry came back and played his best ever. Ray-Ray gave us a return game. Kick coverage units were sold. We could use a better LS.
    Coaching D The standard remains the standard. Tomlin needs to go.
    You're an easy grader.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Coaching: Mike Tomlin is entering the final year of his contract. After three consecutive late-season collapses, it’s fair to say his performance in 2021 will go a long way toward determining whether he’ll still be the head coach in 2022. Grade: D
    With such amazing success in the first 3/4 of the season who knew such a result from the last 1/4 was possible, and with this brutally honest grade? How did it happen Mike? The moon-shooting success followed by record breaking failure? It's all really hard to believe, so a good explanation would be nice.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    With such amazing success in the first 3/4 of the season who knew such a result from the last 1/4 was possible, and with this brutally honest grade? How did it happen Mike? The moon-shooting success followed by record breaking failure? It's all really hard to believe, so a good explanation would be nice.
    The team went into a tailspin and he was unable to right the ship. IMO this doesn't deserve a passing grade, but the 11-0 start doesn't deserve an F. A D is a fair grade.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Andy Reid was considered a regular season champ and post season chump once upon a time. Good coaches win football games and no coach has done better(without cheating) than Tomlin. Hopefully his moment in the sun is just around the corner.