Thread: Doug Marrone Should Be On Steelers Short List Of New Offensive Line Coach Candidates

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Doug Marrone Should Be On Steelers Short List Of New Offensive Line Coach Candidates

Coaching speculation season has now begun for fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers thanks to an announcement on Thursday that the contracts of several members of the coaching staff will not be renewed and hat one other coach is retiring. One of those coaches not being brought back is Shaun Sarrett, who succeeded the great Mike Munchak two years ago when he left for the Denver Broncos. Short of getting Munchak to come back to the Steelers to coach the offensive line again, something I don’t believe will happen, the Steelers should consider hiring a coach for that position group that not only has NFL experience in doing so, but one that has a strong history of running success

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/do...ch-candidates/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Doug Marrone Should Be On Steelers Short List Of New Offensive Line Coach Candidates

Would Munchak consider the OC job? Maybe let him hire his own position coaches.

- - - Updated - - -

That article certainly paints Marrone as an OL savior.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Doug Marrone Should Be On Steelers Short List Of New Offensive Line Coach Candidates

Entice Munchak to come back...move his whole family to Pittsburgh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think their assistant Adrian Klemm will get a look.

Former NFL O lineman. A good decade of O line coaching in college and NFL. But Marrone is definitely a good O line coach. Not sure he is gonna step that far down though.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Former NFL O lineman. A good decade of O line coaching in college and NFL. But Marrone is definitely a good O line coach. Not sure he is gonna step that far down though.
    Munchak did , so maybe there is some hope
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Munchak did , so maybe there is some hope
    Very possible, hope so.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Entice Munchak to come back...move his whole family to Pittsburgh!!!
    I know his daughter lives out in Denver (or something) but if she's grown and had kids how long is the NFL offseason that he can't take a job back here?
    Last edited by EzraTank; 01-15-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

You might be right. Klemm could get a look. But I think they may be looking for more of a known quantity after the Sarrett hire.

Marrone has a good history coaching OL. I think he would be a good hire.

He is falling pretty hard from Jacksonville. Maybe he needs a break from coaching, but if not, I don't think teams will be lining up for him for a coordinator position. He could be a viable option. Perhaps sweeten it a little bit by offering him a good contract, and another voice with head coaching experience isn't a bad thing. He certainly helped put together a physical power running game with the Jags, which is exactly the mindset that this team needs IMO.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I know his daughter lives out in Denver (or something) but if she's grown and had kids how long is the NFL offseason that he can't take a job back her?
    Move her here too!!

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="The Bark is a jewel in the rough"> The Bark's Avatar

Not a fan of Doug Marrone. Followed him as HC at Syracuse then the Buffalo Bills and didn't care for the way he left either organizations. Not saying he doesn't deserve some merit, but he's left a bad aftertaste wherever he's been.