Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fichtner and more let go ....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Fichtner and more let go ....

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    1 ) Tomlin track record for hiring them is pretty poor. Haley_Fichtner

2 ) We still don't know who the QB is fr 2021.

3 ) Tomlin himself could be gone next year, and the new head coach could bring in " His guy "

Consider all of the above and riddle me this. What What OC worth his weight is going to want to coach for Pittsburgh unless it's an only option?
    So no reason to draft a QB this season. Otherwise you end up like the rest of the bottom dwellers in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So no reason to draft a QB this season. Otherwise you end up like the rest of the bottom dwellers in the league.
    agreed I have my TE in waiting! Pat Freiermuth requested #85 for his Steeler Jersey and has ordered his shoes.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    agreed I have my TE in waiting! Pat Freiermuth requested #85 for his Steeler Jersey and has ordered his shoes.

Could this be the year?

It has to happen for you sometime!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would like that. I’m a fan of his. Watched him at PSU and like his play a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A name to keep in mind:
    Darell Bevell

He coached with Tomlin fifteen years ago. He is currently interviewing for HC jobs, but if he does not get one, he might be what we are looking for... because... he is a run-heavy type of OC. It is the type of OC that the Steelers replaced Arians with, and I could see the same again.

Pass-happy OC
    Run-first OC
    Pass-happy OC
    Run-first OC

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    A name to keep in mind:
    Darell Bevell

He coached with Tomlin fifteen years ago. He is currently interviewing for HC jobs, but if he does not get one, he might be what we are looking for... because... he is a run-heavy type of OC. It is the type of OC that the Steelers replaced Arians with, and I could see the same again.

Pass-happy OC
    Run-first OC
    Pass-happy OC
    Run-first OC
    I get your logic and I totally see it happening. But...please, kind and merciful God, can we not have an uninspiring retread as a coaching hire?

You know why Tomlin's assistants never get hired for anything else? Because he surrounds himself with old and solid "football guys" but no one up and coming that is trying to make things happen.

Go find the next coordinator that everyone will want to hire in 2 seasons for their HC opening. Who cares if it screws around with "stability"?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I know Freiermuth had to have season ending shoulder surgery, anyone know what round he's now expected to go in?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I know Freiermuth had to have season ending shoulder surgery, anyone know what round he's now expected to go in?
    He chose to do the surgery in the fall so he would be ready for TC. Late R1 to early R2

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I get your logic and I totally see it happening. But...please, kind and merciful God, can we not have an uninspiring retread as a coaching hire?

You know why Tomlin's assistants never get hired for anything else? Because he surrounds himself with old and solid "football guys" but no one up and coming that is trying to make things happen.

Go find the next coordinator that everyone will want to hire in 2 seasons for their HC opening. Who cares if it screws around with "stability"?
    I agree. It would be a blast of fresh air and a huge motivation boost for the O to be able to get a coach that was innovative, very unpredictable and very smart. But is there a coach in the pro's or college that fits this?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I agree. It would be a blast of fresh air and a huge motivation boost for the O to be able to get a coach that was innovative, very unpredictable and very smart. But is there a coach in the pro's or college that fits this?
    No Idea. But all these "hotshot" coaches have to come from somewhere. I realize that Arthur Smith (Titans OC and now HC of Falcons) isn't available. But at some college or pro team right now, there is the next Smith just waiting to unleash a play action passing game paired with a nice run game on NFL defenses.

I am not saying it has to be that kind of offensive system, but there is someone out there with ideas and things ready to go. Heck, he might be on the Steelers staff in Matt Canada.

No Idea. But all these "hotshot" coaches have to come from somewhere. I realize that Arthur Smith (Titans OC and now HC of Falcons) isn't available. But at some college or pro team right now, there is the next Smith just waiting to unleash a play action passing game paired with a nice run game on NFL defenses.

I am not saying it has to be that kind of offensive system, but there is someone out there with ideas and things ready to go. Heck, he might be on the Steelers staff in Matt Canada.
    I agree with you. I wonder if nfl teams scout coaches?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

His name is Lane Kiffen and he's currently the HC at Ole Miss. I know the knee-jerk reaction is how he failed with the Raiders. But that FO forced drafting Jamarcus Russell on him and fired him after his 1st season. I don't think he would leave Ole Miss for an OC job right now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    His name is Lane Kiffen and he's currently the HC at Ole Miss. I know the knee-jerk reaction is how he failed with the Raiders. But that FO forced drafting Jamarcus Russell on him and fired him after his 1st season. I don't think he would leave Ole Miss for an OC job right now though.

Now there is a gem from the past!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    You never know with Lane... he wears out his welcome pretty fast and he doesn't stay anywhere long.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    You never know with Lane... he wears out his welcome pretty fast and he doesn't stay anywhere long.
    QFT

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It is completely the way that the Rooneys hire coordinators (although, they do the exact OPPOSITE when hiring head coaches).

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you. I wonder if nfl teams scout coaches?
    Oh, one hundred percent they do.

Here’s a name:

Eric Bieniemy

For whatever reason, he’s not getting hired as a HC. The most-recent excuse is that he has Mahomes and/or Reid is coordinating a lot of the playcalls. Ergo, he needs to go somewhere else to prove himself. What better reclamation project than the Steelers rushing attack.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

If he weren't just hired by Penn State, I would say that Mike Yurcich would be a frontrunner for the position. He was the OC of Mason Rudolph at Oklahoma St.

He runs a pass-first offense, but still believes in a power run game that can convert in short yardage situations.

Here's a breakdown of his coaching career. Some of the stats of offenses he has headed are mind-blowing.

Read this link: https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/1/...ff-change.aspx

It's just a thought, and the Rudolph connection is there if that is the direction they plan on going.

I hope its not Tomlin's buddy, Caldwell. I'm about done with this buddy stuff!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    If he weren't just hired by Penn State, I would say that Mike Yurcich would be a frontrunner for the position. He was the OC of Mason Rudolph at Oklahoma St.

He runs a pass-first offense, but still believes in a power run game that can convert in short yardage situations.

Here's a breakdown of his coaching career. Some of the stats of offenses he has headed are mind-blowing.

Read this link: https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/1/...ff-change.aspx

It's just a thought, and the Rudolph connection is there if that is the direction they plan on going.
    Make him an offer, you never know!

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s a name:

Eric Bieniemy

For whatever reason, he’s not getting hired as a HC. The most-recent excuse is that he has Mahomes and/or Reid is coordinating a lot of the playcalls. Ergo, he needs to go somewhere else to prove himself. What better reclamation project than the Steelers rushing attack.
    I've been thinking of him also.

Bieniemy might be able to make a serviceable player out of Dobbs too.

Here’s a name:

Eric Bieniemy

I still think somebody is going to make this guy a head coach. Unless he's just not good in the interview room.

I'd be all for bringing Bieniemy in to run Reid's offense. Everybody looks good with great talent, but that system scheme's people open as well as any system out there.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I still think somebody is going to make this guy a head coach. Unless he's just not good in the interview room.
    Watson wants the Texans to hire Bieniemy as their HC.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Here’s a name:

Eric Bieniemy

He must be a terrible interview.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Ding Dong! Randy Fitch is gone. Which old Fitch? The Randy Fitch!
    Ding Dong! Randy Fitch is gone.
    Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
    Wake up, the Randy Fitch is gone. He's gone where the goblins go,
    Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
    Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
    Let them know
    Randy Fitch is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Let them know
    Randy Fitch is gone!

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Let them know
    Randy Fitch is gone!
    Awesome... And, you used the word "Dong" 3 times, so I laughed 3 extra laughs.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He must be a terrible interview.
    True, that interview reveals if you are somebody that can lead men or not. Lead a coaching staff, create a vision and culture, then implement it. People think you have to be a qualified x and o's guy to get a head coach job, but the reality is you have to manage the x and o's guys as a HC.

Lots of good coordinators, not cut out to lead a team and have shown that. Every year they get fired, despite being the hotshot coordinator 2 years prior. Then you get the Joe Judge or John Harbaugh guys that were special teams coaches, but they are able to lead a team. Tough for Eric Bienemy, maybe he is just a coordinator at best.