Thread: Steelers start their roster moves, release RB Trey Edmunds

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Steelers start their roster moves, release RB Trey Edmunds

The Steelers start their roster moves by releasing Trey Edmunds

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made one of what will be many offseason moves

by Jeff Hartman

With the Pittsburgh Steelers’ season officially over, you can expect them to start the process of rebuilding, and deconstructing, their offseason roster. Many will be signed, and many will be released.

For most players the team knows they are going to part ways with, they let them go as soon as possible. Why? To give them a head start on finding a new job elsewhere. Even though the Steelers’ season ended just 48 hours ago, the process has already begun.

The first player to be released? None other than running back Trey Edmunds.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...terrell-update

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Steelers start their roster moves, release RB Trey Edmunds

Vince Williams might be the first big name go go. The backup is set to make 7 million on the cap next year. If we cut him, the team saves 4 million. Maybe enough to retain a free agent like Hilton.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Vince Williams might be the first big name go go. The backup is set to make 7 million on the cap next year. If we cut him, the team saves 4 million. Maybe enough to retain a free agent like Hilton.

There's a very good chance that happens. They need to get someone more athletic and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    There's a very good chance that happens. They need to get someone more athletic and cheaper.

It will happen The Steelers are over the cap and can't afford to pay backs up 7 million a year. Next year, Bush and Spillane start.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Tagging onto this roster thread to list a current roster without FAs. Maybe we can update as moves are made. I do this to keep up with team position needs and such. Not putting PS players on this list.

OL: Pouncey, DeCastro, Dotson, Okorofor
    TE: Ebron, Gentry
    WR: Claypool, DJ, Washington
    RB: Watt, McFarland, Snell, Samuels
    QB: Ben, Rudolph, Dobbs

DL: Heyward, Tuitt, Buggs, Mondeaux, Davis
    OLB: Watt, Highsmith
    ILB: Allen, Williams, Bush, UGIII
    CB: Haden, Nelson, Layne, Pierre
    Safety: Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Brooks

Players under contract. To be updated hopefully.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Tagging onto this roster thread to list a current roster without FAs. Maybe we can update as moves are made. I do this to keep up with team position needs and such. Not putting PS players on this list.

Thanks for that!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

if you're going to include ERFA Marcus Allen, then you should also include Robert Spillane and JC Hassenauer.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    if you're going to include ERFA Marcus Allen, then you should also include Robert Spillane and JC Hassenauer.
    Guess I missed one.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It will happen The Steelers are over the cap and can't afford to pay backs up 7 million a year. Next year, Bush and Spillane start.
    It hurts to say, because I love Bince, but he is gone.

Bush's injury opened the door for us to get a glimpse of Spillane, and we saw that he is pretty darn good (but, a lot cheaper and many years younger).

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Guess I missed one.
    awesome job on that list

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Should've also been Terrell Edmunds, #34, who was a shit truck being towed by a shit truck in the Clowns game.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It hurts to say, because I love Bince, but he is gone.

Bush's injury opened the door for us to get a glimpse of Spillane, and we saw that he is pretty darn good (but, a lot cheaper and many years younger).

I know how much you like him, but I think he's done here.

Guess I missed one.
    You only listed 4 OL men and one of them is likely retired. Pick at least one more please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I know how much you like him, but I think he's done here.
    I too like Williams. He's very personable, and a professional. However the cap is the cap, and we are up against it. The emergence of Spillane makes Williams expendable.

You only listed 4 OL men and one of them is likely retired. Pick at least one more please.

- - - Updated - - -

I too like Williams. He's very personable, and a professional. However the cap is the cap, and we are up against it. The emergence of Spillane makes Williams expendable.
    That is a list of players currently under contract. 4 OL is it. As Hawaiiansteeler says there are 3 ERFAs also. Those include Hassenauer so does that work as a 5th OL? ILBs Spillane and Allen are the other 2 ERFAs.

we're gonna have to release quite a few more players just to get under the cap:

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Extend Nelson. Rework Tuitt, DeCastro, and Heyward. Extend Watt. Hope Pouncey does retire. Rework Ben's cap #. That gets you under the cap and room to make a few moves. Get into Haden's contract for even more dough.

The cap $$$ are there. But, really it all hinges on Roethlisberger. Gotta get his cap # figured out. Every other decision will be contingent on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    we're gonna have to release quite a few more players just to get under the cap:

Learn me something if you would. IF Ben and Pouncey both retire, that is still about $29M tied up in players that won't be playing? And cutting VW would still be about $32M? Just making sure I'm reading what the chart is telling me.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Learn me something if you would. IF Ben and Pouncey both retire, that is still about $29M tied up in players that won't be playing? And cutting VW would still be about $32M? Just making sure I'm reading what the chart is telling me.
    https://overthecap.com/calculator/pittsburgh-steelers/

Can play with every option at the link above.

But, yeah. Pouncey and Ben would be being paid $29 million to not play. That is counterbalanced by NOT having to pay them an additional 7.3 million (Pouncey) and 18.3 million (Ben) to play, at least in cap dollars. In other words, it is cheaper on the salary cap to pay Pouncey and Ben to go golfing than it is to play football.

Just shedding those two guys takes the Steelers from -$30.4 million on the 2021 cap to -$4.7 million (OTC uses a $180 million dollar cap figure). I realize it is still negative, but that is a TJ Watt extension away from being a + cap $$$ number.

VW is a bit of another story. He only saves a couple million bucks to pay him to not play. He might make sense to keep around for another year. Or do a weird extension to spread out his hit...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers start their roster moves, release RB Trey Edmunds

The difference for Pouncey and Ben’s cap numbers (between paying them not to play and just having them play) would be the cost of their replacements (assuming they are not currently on the roster. For instance, is it cheaper to have Ben play than it would be to have Ben retire + have unnamed FA QB here for a 1 year deal? What is the production drop off, is it better to draft OL replacements this year, redo Cap with the players you want to keep (mini rebuild) and draft a QB next season or even the season after? To many questions right now, would be nice to be a fly on Tomlins wall right now.

Edit, I hate autocorrect