Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pouncey retiring

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Pouncey retiring

Report: Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey to retire

Steelers beat writer Dale Lolley says Pouncey's 10-year career is at an end.

https://www.radio.com/937thefan/spor...ncey-to-retire

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Pouncey retiring

It was time. Great career and great team guy.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

If true, thanks to Maurkice for all his work over the years and carrying on the tradition of great centers in Pittsburgh. I'm sorry it ended on a down-note for him and the team, but it does not diminish his years here in Pittsburgh, and I appreciate him leaving now rather than hanging on longer.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sorry he didn’t get a ring.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

it was time probably last year when PFF had him rated as one of the worst starting OL in the league. The guy scored 7 points for the Browns on the first play of the game. I won't miss him too much.

Senior Member Array title="ShoeHorn will become famous soon enough"> ShoeHorn's Avatar

Wow. Things are getting real already this offseason. Thanks for everything, #53, you’ve been an awesome Steeler.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

He'll go out as one of the top 3 centers to ever play for the organization (behind only Webby and Dirt). It cements your legacy if you can go out under your own terms like he just did. I kinda wish Ben would do the same. Go out as a legend - don't make the team have to cut you.

Troy's exit will always have a sting to it since the team was forced to cut him. With Pouncey gone, and possibly Ben - the rebuild will have officially begun.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It was time. Great career and great team guy.
    Yep, wish him the best!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He never played in a Super Bowl. Even XLV was in his rookie year but he was out because of an injury.

Wish he would have at least played in one.

The legacy of great centers was carried on by him

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

A Steeler great. I'm glad he's going out on his own terms. Sorry he didn't get a ring. I wonder what affect this will have on Ben's decision?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Been a good run with the Steelers. Wish him the best going forward.

Didnt the Steelers have a guy under contract until 2021 that was an experienced C? Wisneiwski or something like that? Oh well, never mind.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    A Steeler great. I'm glad he's going out on his own terms. Sorry he didn't get a ring. I wonder what affect this will have on Ben's decision?
    I say yes, and Ben will follow.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There's a question mark at the end of his headline.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Pouncey retirement talks just speculation

Steelers beat writer Dale Lolley wonders if Pouncey's 10-year career could be at an end

??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

About time. Free up 14,475,000 in cap space. Good player, not worth this number at his age.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    He'll go out as one of the top 3 centers to ever play for the organization (behind only Webby and Dirt). It cements your legacy if you can go out under your own terms like he just did. I kinda wish Ben would do the same. Go out as a legend - don't make the team have to cut you.

Troy's exit will always have a sting to it since the team was forced to cut him. With Pouncey gone, and possibly Ben - the rebuild will have officially begun.
    Probably 3rd. Ray Mansfield and Jeff Hastings were very good football players too. IMO Pouncey has very little to make the HOF.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Happy retirement Pouncey!

I remember Mark Schlereth telling the story of when he realized it was time to hang it up. Pro athletes tend to think they can play at the same high level forever. MS was watching some game film on a monitor that happened to be on while getting some medical attention at the Broncos facility. He saw this guy that absolutely could not move, was always late to his spot, had terrible footwork, and was a liability in every protection. He commented about how bad the guy looked several times. When he was able to get a good look at the jersey he discovered he was critiquing himself. That was when he knew.
    I wonder if Pouncey has been chewing on this all season watching himself each week on film.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Sad the way he exited but he was arguably the best center in the league every year he played up until the last couple years (which spanned most of the 2010s)

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The exodus has begun. It's time. All the best to Pouncey.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Fake news, not retiring.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Fake news, not retiring.

Right? It literally says it’s speculation in the first sentence of the article...lol.

This is all fake news to this point.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

fuck i got excited for nothing then

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

He’d better retire or he’s 100% a cap casualty. The guy has been stealing a paycheck for 3 years.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I say yes, and Ben will follow.
    I'm wondering what made Pouncey decide to retire before Ben.

Pouncey has always said he would retire when Ben does.

Perhaps he knows more of Ben's intentions than everyone else. I think this is the case. I think Ben will hang up his spikes real soon. Definitely before next season.

This last game was a gigantic exclamation point for both Pounce and Ben that the end of the line has come upon them.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    This is all fake news to this point.
    Yea, be we ALL know he and Ben are hanging their spikes up BEFORE next season starts.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He had a great career....but it was time.

I wish him nothing but the best and thank him for what he gave while playing for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I was so excited when he was drafted... and, he did not disappoint. That said, he has quickly gotten old. It happens.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Are there any lip readers here? I think he's done as a player and expensive. No one wants to be cut. So why did Ben cry? I'll speculate. Pouncey told him he never got a chance to play in the super bowl and used the R word.

Pouncey, retire please. Your done as a player ad not close to worth 14.4M as a player next year on the cap. And thanks for being a good player for all these years.

Still probably better than 1/3 of the centers out there. Not worth the money but he’s better at this point than trotting a Sean Mahan type out there. Lol.

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    fuck i got excited for nothing then
    Me too! He should be a cap cut.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Still probably better than 1/3 of the centers out there. Not worth the money but he’s better at this point than trotting a Sean Mahan type out there. Lol.

Or Haussenhauer. Pouncey was bad this year, but Haussenhauer at this point has no business being on an NFL field.