Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Past 10 Years vs. The 10 Years Before Ben

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: The Past 10 Years vs. The 10 Years Before Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I don’t know ‘76......I think he blames Tomlin too. Certain posters here, crack me up. When the team is rolling and doing well, you never see them, but the minute the Steelers go into the shitter, they come out in droves. Fire x, replace x, he was never good.....the Rooneys don’t know what their doing, Colbert sucks at hiring talent. It’s predictable.
    Speaking of which, when Colbert retires could be worse than Be retiring. Guy deserves his own thread for all the talent he has found this team.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    You're wasting your keystrokes - he blames Ben for EVERYTHING that goes wrong. It's really become tiresome, to say the least.
    If it were Mark Malone, Neil O’Donnell or Kordell Stewart out there, you’d be savaging them left and right for Sunday’s performance.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The Past 10 Years vs. The 10 Years Before Ben

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    In case you haven’t noticed that is what other teams that suck at quarterback do.
    That was my point, I was being sarcastic

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    That was my point, I was being sarcastic
    Sarcastic or not, that's what the Steelers are going to have to do. They must take chances at the QB position. Realistically, chances of drafting a good QB are better than any time in history. There's not nearly as many busts as there were 8-15 years ago.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Sarcastic or not, that's what the Steelers are going to have to do. They must take chances at the QB position. Realistically, chances of drafting a good QB are better than any time in history. There's not nearly as many busts as there were 8-15 years ago.
    I honestly think we should draft OL with 2 of first 3 picks, then best avail with the other pick, then whatever with the rest, either stick with Ben or go with MR next season. At that point I figure we will miss the playoffs and will have a higher pick, preferably top 10 pick and at that point get a QB, better odds for a good QB and we will have our biggest issue (IMO it is the OL) fixed and protection and the best chance for the new QB to succeed.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I honestly think we should draft OL with 2 of first 3 picks, then best avail with the other pick, then whatever with the rest, either stick with Ben or go with MR next season. At that point I figure we will miss the playoffs and will have a higher pick, preferably top 10 pick and at that point get a QB, better odds for a good QB and we will have our biggest issue (IMO it is the OL) fixed and protection and the best chance for the new QB to succeed.
    I might shoot myself later, but I'm actually okay with giving the job to Rudolph in 2021. One of two things: we go 6-10 and position ourselves better for the 2022 draft to get a good QB --- or --- we find out that MR has developed and can actually play.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    If it were Mark Malone, Neil O’Donnell or Kordell Stewart out there, you’d be savaging them left and right for Sunday’s performance.

If it were any of those men behind center the other night, do you think the Steelers score 37 points in 3 quarters with zero running game?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I might shoot myself later, but I'm actually okay with giving the job to Rudolph in 2021. One of two things: we go 6-10 and position ourselves better for the 2022 draft to get a good QB --- or --- we find out that MR has developed and can actually play.
    I'm with you. I would prefer they had a decent, low cost veteran to support Rudolph, but lets see what he has and also draft a rookie QB if Ben isnt around next season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    If it were any of those men behind center the other night, do you think the Steelers score 37 points in 3 quarters with zero running game?
    Different era, but I bet those guys on their game dont throw at least 3 of the 4 INT's.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'm with you. I would prefer they had a decent, low cost veteran to support Rudolph, but lets see what he has and also draft a rookie QB if Ben isnt around next season.

- - - Updated - - -

Different era, but I bet those guys on their game dont throw at least 3 of the 4 INT's.

So you're saying those guys were better than Ben, and down 28-0 bring this team back and put 37 or more points up playing behind that offensive line and no running game? You're being serious?

Mark Malone......nothing more needs to be said. A complete stiff.

Neil O'Donnell.......the man who singlehandedly threw away a super bowl with two of the most inexplicable interception ever with a strong running game, great OL, and great defense.

Kordell Stewart......who couldn't complete passes against good defenses with a great running game and an incredible offensive line without a lead and play action.

You evaluate QB's a little differently than I do.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

So you're saying those guys were better than Ben, and down 28-0 bring this team back and put 37 or more points up playing behind that offensive line and no running game? You're being serious?

Neil O'Donnell.......the man who singlehandedly threw away a super bowl with two of the most inexplicable interception ever with a strong running game, great OL, and great defense.

Kordell Stewart......who couldn't complete passes against good defenses with a great running game and an incredible offensive line without a lead and play action.

Don’t tell anyone......but some of these guys were Cowher’s.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Mark Malone was 17-28, 224 yds, 1TD, 0INT in the '84 AFC Semifinal, which the Steelers Won over the Bronco's. Better rating than Ben on Sunday

O' Donnell was 25-41, 205 yds , 1TD, 1 INT vs Colts to get to the Super Bowl, Better rating than Ben on Sunday

You get the point I hope. I am saying that 38 year old Ben on a surgically repaired elbow, with a week of extra rest stunk up the joint and there is no way to sugar coat that. The first 2 INT's were his fault for bad and inaccurate passes. The tipped ball we can say was a good play to the D lineman, the INT to Takitaki, was thrown right to the defender.

Pumping up Ben's performance on Sunday, is like crediting an arsonist for calling the fire department, to report a fire that he started 30 minutes ago.

Mark Malone was 17-28, 224 yds, 1TD, 0INT in the '84 AFC Semifinal, which the Steelers Won over the Bronco's. Better rating than Ben on Sunday

O' Donnell was 25-41, 205 yds , 1TD, 1 INT vs Colts to get to the Super Bowl, Better rating than Ben on Sunday

You get the point I hope. I am saying that 38 year old Ben on a surgically repaired elbow, with a week of extra rest stunk up the joint and there is no way to sugar coat that. The first 2 INT's were his fault for bad and inaccurate passes. The tipped ball we can say was a good play to the D lineman, the INT to Takitaki, was thrown right to the defender.

Pumping up Ben's performance on Sunday, is like crediting an arsonist for calling the fire department, to report a fire that he started 30 minutes ago.

Who's trying to pump it up? Ben didn't play well. That isn't even an argument. He would be the first one to tell us that.

When Six Rings threw out those names I used in my post, I just wanted it to be clear that those quarterbacks were not in the same class as Ben and that they were incapable of throwing the ball 67 times with no running game and no OL without being eaten alive.

I agree. Ben is not what he was. But he shouldn't have to be. If they would have given him a decent running game and Fichtner knew how to design an offense, how to create route combinations to get people open, use rubs and picks more often to create separation, and knew anything about calling plays and using earlier play calls to set up calls later in the game, the entire offense would operate much more efficiently and less pressure would be on Ben.

Fichtner needs to go, and Sarrett has not done anything to help this OL. I think I've seen you say the same in some other threads.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Kordell Stewart would thrive in today's NFL but i guess that's all a moot point right now

Who's trying to pump it up? Ben didn't play well. That isn't even an argument. He would be the first one to tell us that.

When Six Rings threw out those names I used in my post, I just wanted it to be clear that those quarterbacks were not in the same class as Ben and that they were incapable of throwing the ball 67 times with no running game and no OL without being eaten alive.

I agree. Ben is not what he was. But he shouldn't have to be. If they would have given him a decent running game and Fichtner knew how to design an offense, how to create route combinations to get people open, use rubs and picks more often to create separation, and knew anything about calling plays and using earlier play calls to set up calls later in the game, the entire offense would operate much more efficiently and less pressure would be on Ben.

Fichtner needs to go, and Sarrett has not done anything to help this OL. I think I've seen you say the same in some other threads.
    I agree with all of what you have here. I think its all time that we realize that Ben isnt winning another Super Bowl as a player and its time the Steelers plan for the next 10 years instead of thinking they can go anywhere but a Wild Card loss at best.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I appreciate all that Ben has done on the field throughout his career. He's actually had what seems to be two careers. The first half of his career he was an arrogant jerk off the field and very clutch on the field (even though he didn't have gaudy stats). The last half of his career he has been well behaved and humble off the field and a choke artist on the field (sorry but true), even though posting great fantasy numbers.

So, even though these records don't reflect all on Ben, it does have relevance to the Ben conversation. Especially when everyone starts talking about being careful what you wish for and throwing out names like Mark Malone and Bobby Brister. Certainly, there was a dark period behind center.

But let's look at the 10 years before drafting Ben and compare them with the last 10 years with Ben:

1994 to 2003: 95 wins, 64 losses, 1 tie and 7 playoff wins
    2011 to 2020: 102 wins, 57 losses, 1 tie and 3 playoff wins

So, the whole, "Move on from Ben and the sky will fall" mentality is a possibility but not probable. For one thing, QBs come out of college much more prepared for the NFL then they were after Bradshaw retired. For another thing, there are different types of QBs that succeed now instead of just the drop back passer. This expands the field of options. And lastly, the emergence of black QBs further expands the number of options, which wasn't the case after Bradshaw retired.

It's time to move forward and I have no trepidation of what might be. And yes I am old enough to live through Mark Malone, et al. Sometimes I think walking past those 6 Lombardi's makes this organization less hungry than those with one or none. It's time to make a bold move in the draft or free agency while the defense is solid. The window is still open without Ben.
    This is a great question. For me the major difference between those two eras is the difference in which side of the ball is elite - or close to elite (top 4 or 5 in league). I think the formula since the merger for winning the Super Bowl is to be elite on one side of the ball and at least average on the other side. Or, to have a force multiplier on the non elite side of the ball (ie elite QB on rookie contract) - I'd say no More than 6 to 8 Super Bowl winners were elite on both sides of the ball. Forget the Steelers of the 70's in this regard save for maybe the 78 team. They were not an elite offense until the late 70's and by the the 79 season I'm not sure the defense was elite anymore.

Anyways, back on topic. The 94 to 03 teams were mostly elite, or almost elite on defenses. When Ben came in 2004, Cowher had an elite defense and a force multiplier type player in Ben on a rookie contract.
    The part about the rookie contract is important because once you start having to pay your elite QB and what is necessary to provide elite weapons and protection its difficult -almost impossible - to maintain an elite defense. So, if you look at the teams from 2011 to 2018 its reversed where the offense is receiving most of the money and draft pics. And I'm not sure either side was truly elite but I believe the offense was closer based on Ben, Antonio, and Le'Veon. Some great linebackers in those years but below the line play in the secondary helped doom us.

Starting 2019 I thought we were going back towards an elite defense in where we are paying Ben big bucks but we have young elite defensive talent on their first contracts. I'm not as sure about that elite defense anymore. The defensive line looks old and I thought the secondary would be elite this year and it wasn't. Why is this important, besides for the obvious reason? Well, for me, if we don't have an elite defense there is no point in trying to bring Ben back.

So here is my 3 step bring bring Ben back test:

1) Can he still play effectively (top 12 to 16) setting aside for the moment the cap? Even though I'm not as confident about that as I was two months ago, I'll say yes if we adjust the offense. He can't throw 40 or 50 times every week anymore, but maybe in a revamped offense.

2) Can the defense be elite? As I said before I'm starting to doubt that, but if for no other reason than to get to the third question I'll say yes.

3) Is Ben willing to change both his contract and adjust his playing style according? ??????

Just my thoughts

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

Ben's first interception was a bad decision and bad throw. Why Benny Snell is on the field in that situation I don't know, but Ben shouldn't have thrown to him there, and the throw he made was atrocious.

Ben's second interception was DJ's fault more than Ben's. The ball wasn't perfectly placed, but it was still reasonably catchable and hit DJ in both hands. A competent receiver with reasonably good hands would have caught it. I bet James Washington would have caught it. Blame Ben for throwing to DJ, blame the scheme for pretending that DJ is AB and running the passing game through him, but the WRs are paid to make catches even if the throw is less than perfect.

Ben's third interception was a product of a terrible offensive scheme that was figured out weeks ago, coupled with outstanding effort by the DLineman to stretch out and dive to catch a ball that in most instances would have hit the ground. I wish a Steelers defender was capable of making a play like that in the playoffs, but that doesn't happen anymore.

Ben's fourth interception was horrible. I'm guessing there was miscommunication there, as Ebron was nowhere near the ball. That was the only one of these 4 interceptions that was comparable to a Neil O'Donnell Super Bowl interception, but this one was basically inconsequential as the game was almost certainly lost by that point as the Steelers were down three scores with three minutes left to go.

It doesn't make much sense to compare Sunday's performances to performances of the past given how different the league is and how central Ben is to the offense as compared to Stewart and O'Donnell. Kordell and O'Donnell certainly lost games for the Steelers. Kordell was definitely worse in the 1997 AFCC game against the Broncos, where he practically cost them the game on his own. O'Donnell had not only the Super Bowl but the 1994 AFCC game where he threw for a ton of yards for the era (350) but could not find the endzone for most of the game, managing to lead the offense to only 13 points against a huge underdog. Only 1 TD, but no INTs though, so does that make it better than Ben's 500 yards 4 TDs (5 total offensive TDs counting the Conner TD from the 1) but 4 INTs? I'd say it's a wash.

I'm not really pumping up Ben's performance- I'm damning it with faint praise. I think he played well enough to win, but poorly enough to lose. He needed the rest of the team to play reasonably well in order to win; he didn't take the game over by himself to will it to win, which is what you'd like to see your veteran HoF QB do. My agitation over the past few days stems from my belief that focusing on Ben gets the rest of the team and coaching staff off the hook unfairly. We have now witnessed four straight disappointing years, years ending with embarrasing playoff failures and deflating December collapses featuring inexplicable losses to wounded, inferior teams. These playoff humiliations and December collapses have been complete team efforts, featuring offensive turnovers, soft defensive mediocrity, and special teams blunders. It's not like the 90s losses, where you could point to the QB because the rest of the team played well. These losses and collapses have been full team choke jobs of epic proportions. In situations like that, when the entire team routinely fails when it matters the most, you have to start looking at the top. I think that it's probably time for Ben to go, but that it's definitely time for Tomlin to go. That's sad to say because I have been a Tomlin homer, but these past few years have turned me and I no longer think he has what it takes to win it all.

Great post. By fixating on Ben, people ignore the fundamental problems with the team and its coaching staff. We're at the precipice of a long rebuild, I'm afraid, and I don't think Tomlin will be on the sidelines the next time the Steelers are in the Super Bowl (if there is a next time).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

When Drew Bledsoe was replaced by Tom Brady in NE after being injured, he was asked about a QB controversy on the team. Bledsoe responded with something along the lines of 'There's no controversy, I'm not in competition for MY job'. He never got HIS job back. Maybe the Steelers have gotten to a place where there is no competition for roster spots and that has contributed to lack of competitive focus? I understand QB is not a position that is usually contested each season and especially not when returning from injury, but in the vein of coaches not being imaginative, innovative, thinking outside the box, etc...maybe more of a turnover at coordinator down to position assistant jobs should be more 'fluid' to keep things fresher than maybe the Steelers do it. Not to the detriment of organizational stability but to give new ideas and philosophies a chance.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Desert, I’ve been thinking about this thread since you started it and I would never slam you, but I’m not sure of the creation of it...I think it’s time to cut Ben loose, but you are talking about two different worlds and has nothing to do with Ben. The ten years before Ben we were just coming off the Dallas dynasty....I can’t tell you who won those SBs....we just had 150 people at our house, drank chilli and ate beer, and laughed at the commercials. The last ten.....again I’m not trying to defend Ben, but cheating or not, the Pats have owned the NFL. It’s like Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson, playing in the Tiger Woods era.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Desert, I’ve been thinking about this thread since you started it and I would never slam you, but I’m not sure of the creation of it...I think it’s time to cut Ben loose, but you are talking about two different worlds and has nothing to do with Ben. The ten years before Ben we were just coming off the Dallas dynasty....I can’t tell you who won those SBs....we just had 150 people at our house, drank chilli and ate beer, and laughed at the commercials. The last ten.....again I’m not trying to defend Ben, but cheating or not, the Pats have owned the NFL. It’s like Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson, playing in the Tiger Woods era.
    Regarding dynasties in either era, we are talking about 3 playoff wins in 10 years. We aren't talking about getting close (except once). And the first half of Ben's career, the Steelers rivaled the Patriots. I used the term choke artist and then kind of backed off from it (overreaction Monday), but after thinking longer about it, I stick by it. Not choking in the sense of a specific game, but instead choking down the stretch of promising seasons. When was the last time Ben marched it down the field for the win in a game that mattered -- a playoff clinching game, playoff win or Super Bowl? They are few and far between the past 10 years. The reality is that the Steelers were better the 10 years before Ben than the last 10 years with Ben. More than double the playoff wins. You can also add the Cowher v. Tomlin debate into that as well. As I said in the OP, it's not all on Ben, but it's part of the Ben conversation. I'm just saying, it's time to move on and I get tired of the "be careful what you with for" prognosticators here that act like the sky will fall without Ben. They're still drinking the Kool-Aid from 2008.

When was the last time Ben marched it down the field for the win in a game that mattered -- a playoff clinching game, playoff win or Super Bowl?
    Week 16, 2020 Steelers vs Colts- Ben led a second half comeback, including two fourth quarter TD passes, against a stout Colts defense, sealing a victory and winning the AFC North.

The reality is that the Steelers were better the 10 years before Ben than the last 10 years with Ben. More than double the playoff wins. You can also add the Cowher v. Tomlin debate into that as well. As I said in the OP, it's not all on Ben, but it's part of the Ben conversation.
    Arguing over what went wrong the past 10 years is much more a Tomlin versus Cowher debate than a debate over whether "Ben's a choker." To pin the disappointment of the past 10 years solely or primarily on Ben is frankly ridiculous. I don't think you can identify a single game where the rest of the team played well but Ben played so poorly that the game was lost. The whole team has choked the past 4 years. When was the last time the defense forced a turnover in a playoff game? The December collapses, the embarrassing playoff performances, the underperformance against bad / depleted teams - that starts at the top. I think you're kidding yourself if you think getting rid of Ben will fix anything in the short term. This is not a championship team, and this is not a championship coaching staff.

The Colts win in week 16 is all you got? It didn’t clinch a playoff spot. It was a nice win. But that’s it??

As far as the past 10 years, Ben has been nothing more than a Philip Rivers type QB. If Ben’s career was only the past 10 years would he be headed for the HOF? My objective is not to bash Ben but to show that the 10 years before Ben were better than the past 10 years with Ben. Can you disprove that?

The Colts win in week 16 is all you got? It didn’t clinch a playoff spot. It was a nice win. But that’s it??
    What are you talking about? That win clinched the North and a playoff home game. It fit the very narrow parameters you set for "important win" and happened two and a half weeks ago, indicating your point doesn't have much substance. My response wasn't really to you- you're entrenched in your position and will apparently just move the goal posts when necessary- but rather to point out to others that that particular argument lacks substance.

A better question for you to ask is when was the last time the Steelers were close enough at the end of a playoff game to actually have the chance to attempt a last minute game winning march? But that question indicts more than just Ben, so you're not asking it.
    Last edited by W&M_Steeler; 01-13-2021 at 11:52 AM.

As far as the past 10 years, Ben has been nothing more than a Philip Rivers type QB. If Ben’s career was only the past 10 years would he be headed for the HOF? My objective is not to bash Ben but to show that the 10 years before Ben were better than the past 10 years with Ben. Can you disprove that?
    To respond to your edit, I agree that the past 10 years were disappointing and that 1993-2003 was objectively more successful than 2010-2020. But I think the fault lies mostly elsewhere (coaching problems, exceedingly long and partially botched defensive rebuild, unfortunately timed injuries to key players). Has Ben been merely "Phil Rivers good" over the past 10 years? Maybe, but so what? Rivers himself is a probable Hall of Famer. Ben has played well enough this decade that it's silly to point to him as a primary reason for the Steelers' failures. Ben's no Brady, but most HoF QBs aren't Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by W&M_Steeler View Post
    To respond to your edit, I agree that the past 10 years were disappointing and that 1993-2003 was objectively more successful than 2010-2020. But I think the fault lies mostly elsewhere (coaching problems, exceedingly long and partially botched defensive rebuild, unfortunately timed injuries to key players). Has Ben been merely "Phil Rivers good" over the past 10 years? Maybe, but so what? Rivers himself is a probable Hall of Famer. Ben has played well enough this decade that it's silly to point to him as a primary reason for the Steelers' failures. Ben's no Brady, but most HoF QBs aren't Brady.
    I’m glad we can mostly agree on this. The Chargers moved on from Rivers with a bridge QB and a draft pick that many thought was a reach. Are they sorry for doing it? Now, I wish we could have a Justin Herbert. He may end up as good as Mahomes. But my point is they recognized it was time to move forward and they had no certainty in what was next. They had the 6th pick but that would only get them the third QB on the board. He was viewed as developmental. Who knows where our next QB is coming from. The reality is that Ben is gone either this year or next. It’s time for the org to have a plan in hand.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I’m glad we can mostly agree on this. The Chargers moved on from Rivers with a bridge QB and a draft pick that many thought was a reach. Are they sorry for doing it? Now, I wish we could have a Justin Herbert. He may end up as good as Mahomes. But my point is they recognized it was time to move forward and they had no certainty in what was next. They had the 6th pick but that would only get them the third QB on the board. He was viewed as developmental. Who knows where our next QB is coming from. The reality is that Ben is gone either this year or next. It’s time for the org to have a plan in hand.
    Just my 2cents but I think they do have a plan. That plan is Mason Rudolph. I honestly think that. The Steelers will allow Ben to play out his contract and then move on to MR.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just my 2cents but I think they do have a plan. That plan is Mason Rudolph. I honestly think that. The Steelers will allow Ben to play out his contract and then move on to MR.
    I think that is likely the case as well. UNLESS...they really like one of the guys who is on an existing NFL roster but becomes "available".

I believe that Colbert is close to retiring. I also believe that he wants to set the Steelers up for their next playoff window under a new QB. So I would not be shocked to see him be more aggressive over the next 1-2 drafts/off-season cycles.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Speaking of which, when Colbert retires could be worse than Be retiring. Guy deserves his own thread for all the talent he has found this team.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Colbert has been tremendous, and I hope he sticks around for at least 2-3 more years to replenish this team before he retires. He is an elite GM when it comes to getting talent for the team. Yes, there have been some big draft misses such as Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns, or FA signings that did not live up to expectations (Mike Mitchell as an example), but those are few compared to all the good to great players he has drafted or signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Yes! That’s the plan of having no plan. Kind of like a Fichtner led offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think that is likely the case as well. UNLESS...they really like one of the guys who is on an existing NFL roster but becomes "available".

I believe that Colbert is close to retiring. I also believe that he wants to set the Steelers up for their next playoff window under a new QB. So I would not be shocked to see him be more aggressive over the next 1-2 drafts/off-season cycles.
    Kind of like Ozzie and Lamar?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yes! That’s the plan of having no plan. Kind of like a Fichtner led offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of like Ozzie and Lamar?
    Exactly.