Thread: New mock, we pick 24thoverall

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

New mock, we pick 24thoverall

It's off season time. To say the steelers have o cap space and a lot to address is an understatement. So hope turns to the draft because if you can nail it here, you have a good group of player signed for cheap for 4-5 years.

First order of business, find a new quarterback. Ben isn't worth 41 million a year. Not even close. Please retire now and save us cap space. This is a mock before the college all star games and the combine

1 ) QB. Mac Jones. His play speaks for itself but to answer uninformed critics. He's not slow and has pocket mobility. Runs about a 4.8, but above and beyond that he's hard to sack thanks to a quick release and good mental processing. The arm looks good to me. I never seen his receivers slowing down or waiting for the deep ball, nor do I see many of his passes being swatted. Or a DB breaking on it due to giving it too much air time / lack of velocity. At age 22, with a later birthday, he's got some upside to fill physically.

2 ) C Josh Meyers. Poucney is old, weak, slow and snaps it all over the place. Did I mentioned expensive too? This guys is big, strong and can move some. Exactly what we need.

3 ) RB Javonte Williams. A well built player with speed. He runs and catches it for a high average.

4 ) OT Thayer Munford. A good looking OSU Lineman. We need tackles.

6 ) OT Tyler Vrabel. Has NFL bloodlines. One of these two tackles needs to pan out. Chucks isn't a long term answer and Big Al might leave via free agency

7A ) WR Amari Rodgers. Predictive at Clemson. Ju-Ju is gone. Ideal in the slot.

7B ) DT/NT Naquan Jones. Came on later. Could be a steal. His production in 7 goes is impressive. A huge man.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: New mock, we pick 24thoverall

Creed Humphrey has declared for the draft.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Fields or Wilson will slide to the 13-15 area and I say trade up and get your QB. I'll pass on Jones and Trask.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Fields or Wilson will slide to the 13-15 area and I say trade up and get your QB. I'll pass on Jones and Trask.
    Im no scout(obviously)Fields is a great QB but it scares me how no OSU QBs seem to pan out. Is he better than Haskins , Barrett or Troy Smith?

- - - Updated - - -

Id take a gamble on Jones, Trask no thanks

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

My mock sim

PIT 31.Mac Jones QB Alabama (traded down)
    PIT 55. Josh Myers OC Ohio State
    PIT 63. Javonte Williams RB North Carolina
    PIT 87. Tommy Tremble TE Notre Dame
    PIT 118. Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse
    PIT 208. Jordon Scott DT Oregon
    PIT 218. Robert Hainsey OT Notre Dame

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Im no scout(obviously)Fields is a great QB but it scares me how no OSU QBs seem to pan out. Is he better than Haskins , Barrett or Troy Smith?

- - - Updated - - -

I have to agree... OSU QBs just haven’t made a dent in the NFL.

Could pick Jamie Newman late 2nd -early to mid 3rd and have comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Nice mock.

As I’ve stated numerous times, I’m not a fan of Mac Jones, but I get the idea (and I like a QB in R1 better than taking a RB).

I’ve mentioned Myers in R2 (I think it’s who they were scouting a few weeks back when Colbert was in attendance at an OSU game).

I love the idea of a RB in R3. IMO, it’s the sweet spot for RBs. I like the UNC RBs, although I think that Javonte Williams is the second RB drafted. (Ergo, insert Michael Carter here.)

Back-to-back OTs. Great idea. We need backups at both spots; plus, it’s the shotgun effect (you’re bound to hit on one).

- - - Updated - - -

After the Northwestern game, I stated that Fields would indeed drop. He scares me, because any sort of pressure and he becomes very innacurate.

If Wilson drops anywhere near 10, I’d trade up immediately!!!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

If they slide that far, I for sure go after moving up to get your QB.

Personally, I would prefer Fields. The young man was the #2 rated QB prospect in Highschool and now the #2 or #3 rated prospect in the NFL draft. Long pedigree of success, strong arm, throws the ball well in tight windows, moves well in the pocket and at 230 LBS, runs a 4.5 to get out of the pocket if needed. Good family background, doesnt seem like a prima donna, established himself quickly as a leader when he transferred to OSU.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I see the Falcons looking very hard at Fields at #4.

Incoming GM and head coach... aging Matt Ryan with a big salary... Fields from GA... just a thought.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    I see the Falcons looking very hard at Fields at #4.

Incoming GM and head coach... aging Matt Ryan with a big salary... Fields from GA... just a thought.
    Yup, and with Carolina, Detroit, Denver at 7,8,9 I dont see the 3rd best QB getting out of the top 10.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If they slide that far, I for sure go after moving up to get your QB.

Personally, I would prefer Fields. The young man was the #2 rated QB prospect in Highschool and now the #2 or #3 rated prospect in the NFL draft. Long pedigree of success, strong arm, throws the ball well in tight windows, moves well in the pocket and at 230 LBS, runs a 4.5 to get out of the pocket if needed. Good family background, doesnt seem like a prima donna, established himself quickly as a leader when he transferred to OSU.
    I didn't see anything out of him last night that would discourage me from taking him next after Lawrence. He's tough, smart, a great leader, athletic and has an NFL arm.

I didn't see anything out of him last night that would discourage me from taking him next after Lawrence. He's tough, smart, a great leader, athletic and has an NFL arm.
    McShay says that Wilson gets thru his reads faster than Fields and that is why he puts Wilson ahead of Fields. Says that Fields gets stuck on receivers at times, but last night the broadcast crew highlighted a couple times where he got thru them well, but its nothing that some coaching should not be able to improve at the pro level. Like I said, I dont think either of them gets out of the top 9.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget about Cardale Jones and Braxton Miller. You might as well throw Tim Tebow in there as well, since he was an Urban Meyer QB at florida. Heck, Joe Burrow got out of OSU and flourished. I would stay way far away from any Urban Meyer/Ryan Day QB.

Remember Omar Jacobs? From the same system.

Alex Smith might be the most successful QB that was coached by Urban Meyer and his disciples.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Don't forget about Cardale Jones and Braxton Miller. You might as well throw Tim Tebow in there as well, since he was an Urban Meyer QB at florida. Heck, Joe Burrow got out of OSU and flourished. I would stay way far away from any Urban Meyer/Ryan Day QB.

Alex Smith might be the most successful QB that was coached by Urban Meyer and his disciples.

Solid point. Alex Smith was coached by Andy Reid in the NFL.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post

Of those QBs, only Smith and Tebow were high round picks. I think Fields is going to do well.

Of those QBs, only Smith and Tebow were high round picks. I think Fields is going to do well.

Why is that? He's an OSU systems guy who has had issues vs. lesser teams and pressure. I thought he was better last season. This season he threw 6 picks in 8 games during the regular season. What happens once he enters the NFL? Gulp.

He is good in college due to his legs but he not Lamar Jackson fast. Fields only average 4.7 yards a carry in college this season. In the year before that number was 3.5 yard per rush. Move than down once he faces NFL defenders. I doubt he runs a 4.5 More like 4.65.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Urban Meyer gets the first pick. We'll know more about Fields if the Jags take him or Lawrence with that pick.

Only thing I don’t like about Najee Harris is he’s gonna turn 23 in March. That’s old. Especially for a Running Back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Urban Meyer gets the first pick. We'll know more about Fields if the Jags take him or Lawrence with that pick.
    Not really. I’d bet that Lawrence was part of the hiring agreement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Why is that? He's an OSU systems guy who has had issues vs. lesser teams and pressure. I thought he was better last season. This season he threw 6 picks in 8 games during the regular season. What happens once he enters the NFL? Gulp.

He is good in college due to his legs but he not Lamar Jackson fast. Fields only average 4.7 yards a carry in college this season. In the year before that number was 3.5 yard per rush. Move than down once he faces NFL defenders. I doubt he runs a 4.5 More like 4.65.
    Was Clemson a lesser team?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Well, judging by the grammar and overall poor writing, at least we know you wrote this one! Good for you!

FWIW, I also think Fields will be less than amazing in the NFL...but I was certain (absolutely certain) the same was true for Herbert last year!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, judging by the grammar and overall poor writing, at least we know you wrote this one! Good for you!

FWIW, I also think Fields will be less than amazing in the NFL...but I was certain (absolutely certain) the same was true for Herbert last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Less than amazing? Wow! That covers about 95% of the NFL. Way to go with that call! I'm absolutely certain you don't know much about football. Do you think this is Tomlin last year coaching the Steelers too?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Less than amazing? Wow! That covers about 95% of the NFL. Way to go with that call! I'm absolutely certain you don't know much about football. Do you think this is Tomlin last year coaching the Steelers too?
    Actually there’s a lot of people on both sides of Fields. Some think he will be great, some think he could be picked over Trevor Lawrence at the number one spot. Some think he could be taken by Philadelphia...a team that needs no QB and then there are some that don’t think he will be good at all...follow in the steps of JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins. So why discredit Mojouw’s thoughts and opinions on the player? He’s a player of much debate right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Creed Humphrey has declared for the draft.
    Still wondering 'what if...'