Thread: Steelers Ugly Loss Ends Disappointing Decade Under Mike Tomlin

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers Ugly Loss Ends Disappointing Decade Under Mike Tomlin

It’s been ten seasons since the Pittsburgh Steelers last trip to the Super Bowl. Despite having a Hall of Fame quarterback and generally regarded as one of football’s best organizations, they don’t have much to show for it. Only six playoff berths. Just three playoff victories. One AFC Title Game. No returns to the big game.
    That’s Mike Tomlin’s resume. It’s underachieving. To say the least.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/st...r-mike-tomlin/

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Steelers Ugly Loss Ends Disappointing Decade Under Mike Tomlin

Tomlin won ONE Superbowl with Cowhers players and lost one with a mix of his players and Cowhers.

He's been a huge disappointment the past decade. Sure he's never had a losing season blah blah blah but let's face it his choice of coordinators since taking over have been horrible. He let Dick LeBeau stay way too long, he replaced him with another guy that has no clue to the point that he has had to step in multiple times, and on offense ... well we all know the history there. This team has had so much talent the past 10 years and to have no Superbowl appearances and lose multiple times as 1 and done ...

But alas he's not going anywhere.

Junior Member Array title="PaBrownsfan is an unknown quantity at this point">

You should be happy you have the history that you have. Ok so you belled up at the last half of the season, sorry but you can't always win, even if your expected to. You think its fun being a long time Browns fan with the recent history my team has been doing?? I'm just glad it was my Browns team to stop your season in the cold at your house.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaBrownsfan View Post
    You should be happy you have the history that you have. Ok so you belled up at the last half of the season, sorry but you can't always win, even if your expected to. You think its fun being a long time Browns fan with the recent history my team has been doing?? I'm just glad it was my Browns team to stop your season in the cold at your house.
    No offense, but F off. You want to talk football great, but coming here and gloating again F off.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    No offense, but F off. You want to talk football great, but coming here and gloating again F off.

Hell let them gloat at least they don't have bandwagon fans.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    It’s been ten seasons since the Pittsburgh Steelers last trip to the Super Bowl. Despite having a Hall of Fame quarterback and generally regarded as one of football’s best organizations, they don’t have much to show for it. Only six playoff berths. Just three playoff victories. One AFC Title Game. No returns to the big game.
    That’s Mike Tomlin’s resume. It’s underachieving. To say the least.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/st...r-mike-tomlin/
    This history does not make for a good case in Tomlin's favor. I had kind of forgotten about some of the late-season collapses and playoff failures, but the last decade is littered with them.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

The standard is the standard.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

I am good with a wipe and refresh across the board- From brass to water boy and all points between.

Even if we become what the Browns historically have been for the next few years, we are still the Steelers... 6x Super Bowl champs with strong ownership.

Not even mad (ok I am... fuck you all ) at the Browns fans coming to gloat, they beat us...hurray for the non-suck season.

But yeah... I am ok with a total reset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

When the only thing you have to gloat about in 26 years of abject suckery is a Wild Card playoff game win, let him enjoy it for a few days. Reality comes crashing back to earth in KC. Your average Browns fan will be on Medicaid by the time their next playoff win rolls around.

This also shows how spoiled we've become in the Roethlisberger era. We expect to win playoff games and barely start paying attention until the AFCCG. The expectation in Pittsburgh is to win Super Bowls. The expectation in Cleveland is sneak up an steal a Wild Card game every quarter of a century or so ...

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Hell let them gloat at least they don't have bandwagon fans.
    Agreed. They get one week of glory. And the Browns haven't even been stopped by the Steelers so much as by the Browns organization. We just supplied the reality check on game day.

With all the high draft picks they should have had a stacked roster of exactly what they wanted at some point, but they clowned it away. The Steelers on the other hand are facing the end of an era, but haven't had the feast or famine cycle like other teams have had -- see the Ravens, for example. They always managed to find someone low in the draft that contributed, and built a cohesive team identity that worked. With the money crunch coming, plus the decline of our most important players, it is going to be the biggest challenge faced by our office staff yet. I am bracing for a few lean years, but nothing like what the Browns did to themselves.

Heck, I hope the browns go all the way! That will give the entire steeler organization another in your face reality check. The AFC North has got 3 competitive QB's in Burrows, Mayfield and Jackson.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Is anyone surprised? This team went 1-5 after the 11-0 start, and pulled that one win out of their asses after a nonexistent first half. Not to mention one of those losses being against Cincy with a 3rd string QB. Writing was on the wall well before the playoffs that the season would end quickly for the Steelers in the postseason

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Is anyone surprised? This team went 1-5 after the 11-0 start, and pulled that one win out of their asses after a nonexistent first half. Not to mention one of those losses being against Cincy with a 3rd string QB. Writing was on the wall well before the playoffs that the season would end quickly for the Steelers in the postseason
    And while we like to say there was hold or PI against our guys, we had a few games that we won where it did look like da steelers payed the refs.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This may have been Tomlin's most embarassing moment. And that is saying A LOT from a guy who is 0-2 in his career against Mike Glennon

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    This may have been Tomlin's most embarassing moment. And that is saying A LOT from a guy who is 0-2 in his career against Mike Glennon

That highlights on of the Tomlin era's most distressing issues - the Steelers never seem prepared to face lesser / weakened opponents, often leading to inexcusable losses that hurt playoff seeding or lead to missing the playoffs altogether. IIRC, the loss to that Glennon Bucs team made the difference between a 2nd seed and a bye to a 3rd seed welcoming the Ravens at Heinz in the Wild Card round. The Bell injury in week 17 further put a nail in the coffin that season, as the Steelers mystifyingly never signed a replacement for Blount and ended up having to sign Ben Tate as a street free agent to play that game.

Then there was the game in 2012 where the Steelers played the Chargers (who had a losing record) in Heinz on a snowy December day. The Chargers were starting 3 street free agents on their O-line but beat the Steelers convincingly, resulting in the Steelers missing the playoffs.

Then there was the Raiders game in 2018 where Tomlin botched clock management and the Steelers lost to the godawful Raiders who only won 3 other games that year.

There are plenty more examples like this. Tomlin teams overlook weak opponents routinely, then routinely struggle against them (and often lose).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Pete Carroll and the Seahawks on Saturday.
    Vrabel and the Titans this weekend.

Every season about all but 2-4 teams get their lunch handed to them at some point.

I'm still gonna ride with the coach who got his team to thrive with the loss of:

#2 Pass Rusher
    #1-4 ILBs
    #1/2 CB
    Various interior o line-men and the starting RT a handful of snaps into the season.

Does that mean there can not be improvement? Of course not. But I have seen far too many NFL teams fold up and collapse under the same or even less trying conditions then the 2019 and 2020 Steelers faced.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Cassius Marsh? More like Cassius DARSH

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

They should gloat. Look at what they've been through over the last 20 years. Hell, just their record against us in that time frame.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaBrownsfan View Post
    I'm just glad it was my Browns team to stop your season in the cold at your house.
    The Clowns don't get credit for the Steelers committing a mind-numbingly crap-load of critical errors, of which 99% weren't caused by your team. Talk crap when you're not gifted 28 points in Q1 after the opposing team definitely (not arguably) plays the worst single quarter in NFL playoff history. You have no reason to be here talking any kind of shit.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by W&M_Steeler View Post

That highlights on of the Tomlin era's most distressing issues - the Steelers never seem prepared to face lesser / weakened opponents, often leading to inexcusable losses that hurt playoff seeding or lead to missing the playoffs altogether. IIRC, the loss to that Glennon Bucs team made the difference between a 2nd seed and a bye to a 3rd seed welcoming the Ravens at Heinz in the Wild Card round. The Bell injury in week 17 further put a nail in the coffin that season, as the Steelers mystifyingly never signed a replacement for Blount and ended up having to sign Ben Tate as a street free agent to play that game.

Then there was the game in 2012 where the Steelers played the Chargers (who had a losing record) in Heinz on a snowy December day. The Chargers were starting 3 street free agents on their O-line but beat the Steelers convincingly, resulting in the Steelers missing the playoffs.

Then there was the Raiders game in 2018 where Tomlin botched clock management and the Steelers lost to the godawful Raiders who only won 3 other games that year.

There are plenty more examples like this. Tomlin teams overlook weak opponents routinely, then routinely struggle against them (and often lose).
    Very true, and for some reason I can't really understand, his team losses focus and plays poorly vs. teams who are based in the Mountain or Pacific time zone. Like you said the Chargers, and Raiders games.

Losing to really bad teams has become a Tomlin hallmark. The could start a clown at QB, or be 3-13, it just happens.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

How is that gloating? He is being nice IMO. The Steelers went off the rails. If it were the roles were reversed, EVERY Steelers fan would be gloating, saying "The Browns are the Browns". They won the game b/c the Steelers, put simply, are not good. I just wish "one and dones" had consequences but unfortunately, Tomlin will stay until fired which will never happen. He is milking that cow for all it's worth. With or without Ben, the Steelers are in the middle of a dark age: Just good enough to get a bad draft pick but not good enough to win in playoffs. Sad.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    How is that gloating? He is being nice IMO. The Steelers went off the rails. If it were the roles were reversed, EVERY Steelers fan would be gloating, saying "The Browns are the Browns". They won the game b/c the Steelers, put simply, are not good. I just wish "one and dones" had consequences but unfortunately, Tomlin will stay until fired which will never happen. He is milking that cow for all it's worth. With or without Ben, the Steelers are in the middle of a dark age: Just good enough to get a bad draft pick but not good enough to win in playoffs. Sad.
    PABrown has put it in our face in three different threads.....the way I see it.....that’s gloating. Go to his bio and then read all of his posts and then tell me he’s not a TROLL.

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    If we beat the Browns and we were gloating here on a Steelers board then yes it would be fine. I'm sure if I posted on a Browns board I would expect gloating. But he made that account before this game and then posted 3 different threads about "DAWGS coming to town and beating us." He was basically trolling, not talking football.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Aye. But a beat down by the Browns more than put the cherry on top with sprinkles.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.