Thread: Play 2021 GM for the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Play 2021 GM for the Steelers

No so much what you think they will do, but what you would like to do if given control. Using this site for math purposes (https://overthecap.com/calculator/pittsburgh-steelers/) should give us all a common starting point.

1. I have Roethlisberger and Pouncey retire.
    2. I cut McDonald.
    3. I cut Haden or at least make him take a big pay cut.
    4. Extend TJ Watt and restructure Heyward and Tuitt.
    5. Those moves give me about $30 million in cap space to work with.

6. Try and resign Juju for like $10-12 million for 2 years. Make the argument that he gets another bite at the FA apple when I have more cap space.
    7. Resign Banner. Let AV and Fieler go.
    8. Resign Hilton or Sutton - whichever I can get for like $5 million per year.
    9. Round out the rest of the roster with cheap players.
    10. Now with the draft class, a 2021 contingency fund, and a full roster -- I'm about out of cap room.

11. Now I can try and get clever with funny cap math extensions for Nelson, DeCastro, and Ebron. Play around with a few other contracts. Try and get about $10 million in space to play with.
    12. I take that $10 million and a draft pick and go and get the best "rehabilitation" QB I can. I'm thinking Darnold is my target.

Then I hit the 2021 draft and take the best player I can in Round 1. Figure I gave up my round 2 to get Darnold. So In round 3 I get the best RB I can.

Then I promote Canada to OC and let him figure it out between Rudolph and Darnold.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Play 2021 GM for the Steelers

I think we have to go OL in the first, and probably don’t need to trade that high for Darnold, he is gone after they draft a QB for an old pair of socks.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I think we have to go OL in the first, and probably don’t need to trade that high for Darnold, he is gone after they draft a QB for an old pair of socks.
    Might be right. In my plan they'd almost certainly have to go after a center in Rd 1.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    No so much what you think they will do, but what you would like to do if given control. Using this site for math purposes (https://overthecap.com/calculator/pittsburgh-steelers/) should give us all a common starting point.

1. I have Roethlisberger and Pouncey retire.
    2. I cut McDonald.
    3. I cut Haden or at least make him take a big pay cut.
    4. Extend TJ Watt and restructure Heyward and Tuitt.
    5. Those moves give me about $30 million in cap space to work with.

6. Try and resign Juju for like $10-12 million for 2 years. Make the argument that he gets another bite at the FA apple when I have more cap space.
    7. Resign Banner. Let AV and Fieler go.
    8. Resign Hilton or Sutton - whichever I can get for like $5 million per year.
    9. Round out the rest of the roster with cheap players.
    10. Now with the draft class, a 2021 contingency fund, and a full roster -- I'm about out of cap room.

11. Now I can try and get clever with funny cap math extensions for Nelson, DeCastro, and Ebron. Play around with a few other contracts. Try and get about $10 million in space to play with.
    12. I take that $10 million and a draft pick and go and get the best "rehabilitation" QB I can. I'm thinking Darnold is my target.

Then I hit the 2021 draft and take the best player I can in Round 1. Figure I gave up my round 2 to get Darnold. So In round 3 I get the best RB I can.

Then I promote Canada to OC and let him figure it out between Rudolph and Darnold.
    I could be on board with that. Fichtner has to go. That’s first and foremost and that would happen today.

I don’t want Darnold. He mentally isn’t a good QB. Not sure what other “rehab QBs” are out there but I’m open to the idea.

I’m also not totally off the idea of just keeping Ben for his last season. Offering him a restore and guaranteeing him the $41M over the next two/three seasons...just spreading his money out and guaranteeing it...knowing he will play for only one more year. If he were open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler