Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s next for Ben Roethlisberger?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

What’s next for Ben Roethlisberger?

Near the end of Sunday night’s playoff loss to the Browns, the image of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sitting alone of the bench screamed through the TV, “It’s over.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oethlisberger/

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: What’s next for Ben Roethlisberger?

He's got money for life and a wife and kids and a spot in Canton waiting for him.

Time to move on. Thanks for the memories, Ben.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I hope it's over. He's like a bad movie the past few years. The only times he plays well just set you up for when he chokes. He lost the clutch gene when he stopped going to college bars.

Junior Member Array title="PaBrownsfan is an unknown quantity at this point">

Time to retire, and start off with a new QB. I so enjoyed the beat down to you Steelers, a game that was long long over due. A game for the history books for sure. GO BROWNS !!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Reports are that Ben is going to think it over.

I’ve said for weeks that I felt that Ben would retire. The body language has been there. I think that he wanted to go out with one last “great game”... which is why he was so distraught after this loss.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaBrownsfan View Post
    Time to retire, and start off with a new QB. I so enjoyed the beat down to you Steelers, a game that was long long over due. A game for the history books for sure. GO BROWNS !!
    Your season ends next week, so you need to savor it.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Fichtner's contract has ended. I hope they don't renew it.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaBrownsfan View Post

When an AFC Wild Card game win is what constitutes a "win for the history books", then you truly root for a sad, sad franchise. Congratulations on your first playoff game win ... since Bill Belichick was your head coach.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would not be opposed to restructuring Ben’s current money into a 2-3 year guaranteed contract, if he were open to it. This would give you an experienced QB (probably middle of the pack) and salary cap relief over two-three seasons...knowing that he’s probably only playing one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

Ben's hyper competitiveness, after the burn settles down, is going to have him soooo fired up to play next season. if would have been a close game and he would have played the 2nd half like he did the first, he would retire but him playing pretty good that 2nd half is going to eat at his brain so bad this offseason with such a terrible 1st half he cant go out like that, to give it 1 more year. Bring them all back for one more year!! We need 2 more top offensive linemen. Round 1 pick and a top free agent. lets try one more time #7 for #7.
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post
    Ben's hyper competitiveness, after the burn settles down, is going to have him soooo fired up to play next season. if would have been a close game and he would have played the 2nd half like he did the first, he would retire but him playing pretty good that 2nd half is going to eat at his brain so bad this offseason with such a terrible 1st half he cant go out like that, to give it 1 more year. Bring them all back for one more year!! We need 2 more top offensive linemen. Round 1 pick and a top free agent. lets try one more time #7 for #7.
    The fact that it’ll haunt him for years is the only reason that I couid see him coming back.

Had Ben lost in a gritty, gunslinging type of shootout, he could keep his chin up as he retires. Instead, this game left a bad taste in his mouth.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The fact that it’ll haunt him for years is the only reason that I couid see him coming back.

Had Ben lost in a gritty, gunslinging type of shootout, he could keep his chin up as he retires. Instead, this game left a bad taste in his mouth.
    It did end up as a shootout. 37 points in 3 quarters is very Ben-esque once he gets focused. It was the spotting them 28 out the gate that lost the game. The rest of the way was 37-20. I'm actually proud of the fight that anemic offense showed after those 4 TOs turned into 4 TDs for the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It did end up as a shootout. 37 points in 3 quarters is very Ben-esque once he gets focused. It was the spotting them 28 out the gate that lost the game. The rest of the way was 37-20. I'm actually proud of the fight that anemic offense showed after those 4 TOs turned into 4 TDs for the Browns.
    To be more clear: an error-free shootout

(Make sense?)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Once Ben started making up plays on his own is when the team started to produce. He clearly was making it up as he went.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

If the Ben-Fichtner comb is in place next year there will be no improvement. Imo if Ben returns it should be with the understanding that he will be helping his replacement takeover, but I'm not so sure Ben is interested in grooming his replacement. Fichtner should be booted and Canada promoted to OC. I really don't know why Butler is here since Tomlin has been call most of the D-plays.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

If Ben plays another year, Fichtner is there another year.

I can’t see Ben doing well under a new OC, and especially just for one year.

Find out by the deadline for roster bonus in March...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If he comes back, he is only going to tarnish his legacy more. He ran out of gas in the second half of 2020. Unless Ben thinks a non-rehab off-season will somehow change that...this is the "best" outcome for him to go out on. Because if he comes back and plays like he did for the past 6+ weeks, he is going to be a losing QB in 2021.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He always has his 500 yards to hang his hat on. Even though he threw 97 passes.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Needs to go into the insurance biz with Tommy Maddox. Hopefully Tommy will show him the ropes.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by PalmerSteel View Post
    Ben has 19 million reasons to come back next seasom. His "competitiveness" and "bad taste in his mouth" isn't one of them.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I hope it's over. He's like a bad movie the past few years. The only times he plays well just set you up for when he chokes. He lost the clutch gene when he stopped going to college bars.
    Sadly true and when he got his life together and happy for him and that is more important. He lost the fire and fight and love of the game. You nailed it! He has been mentally gone for 10 years!

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

There is no possible way you pay a guy who played the last half of season the way he played 41 mill. At 39 years old it magnifies the stupidity. Too expensive to be back up and Ben would not be good in that roll like Eli was reported to be. Roll the dice on Rudolph, or add winston, Darnold or another guy to take chance on.Face it next year is going to be a year of preseason with possibility of finding needle in haystack. Unless they make move in draft to get one of the top 4 QB’s. Either way in my mind I hope Ben retires. He will not be better and his level of play won’t get it done. If he comes back ,he will be 4th best qb in division.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

let him go if he doesn't want to restructure his contract. His play in the 4th quarter of the season and beyond isn't even worth 19M and would honestly rather roll with Mason if that's his new 'normal'

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Good lord, take a hard pass on Winston. People seem to forget he just about "Dwayne Haskins"-ed his way out of Tampa with his demeanor and off-field behavior. I'm also not interested in any QB who is the first to join the "30-30" club.

Darnold, on the other hand is more intriguing. He reminds me some of Tannehill: A guy who looked like an absolute first-round bust until they got him out that horrible situation and put him on a good team. Darnold seems like the most likely successful reclamation project out of this year's available QBs.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Wow seeing Ben sitting there at the end of the Bench and, that look on his face...

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Good lord, take a hard pass on Winston. People seem to forget he just about "Dwayne Haskins"-ed his way out of Tampa with his demeanor and off-field behavior. I'm also not interested in any QB who is the first to join the "30-30" club.

Darnold, on the other hand is more intriguing. He reminds me some of Tannehill: A guy who looked like an absolute first-round bust until they got him out that horrible situation and put him on a good team. Darnold seems like the most likely successful reclamation project out of this year's available QBs.
    That is what I think too, as well as some other on here who have expressed opinions on Darnold.

He is the one guy that I think might be a worthwhile reclamation project. I remember going into his senior year that he was being compared to a franchise savior like Andrew Luck was a few years prior.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Fichtner's contract has ended. I hope they don't renew it.
    Fichtner is the 5th best OC in the AFC North. He better be on the street in a week.

Ben, he is only worth $5million on a 1 year deal, but he has such a big cap number right now, its crippling. Even if they release him, Ben counts $21 million against the cap.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post

Winston probably isn’t the answer, its all roll of dice. He has mobility and and strong arm. It would be upgrade IF which is big if he can reduce turnovers.all Im saying is its waste of year for Ben to lead team again. Ceiling 10-6 one and done.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Last night I was leaning towards keeping Ben, but the more I think about it the more you just eat the $22 million cap hit and be happy that you also get $19 million BACK from him not playing. That pays a lot of players we need. Heck sign Fitzpatrick for a year while you run with him and Rudolph or a new draft pick.

I assume we draft somewhere in the 20's so who will be available then at the QB position? Next year is going to be a transition year, at this point just focus on keep guys under 30. But if we don't fire Fichtner it really won't matter who we have playing.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Last night I was leaning towards keeping Ben, but the more I think about it the more you just eat the $22 million cap hit and be happy that you also get $19 million BACK from him not playing. That pays a lot of players we need. Heck sign Fitzpatrick for a year while you run with him and Rudolph or a new draft pick.

I assume we draft somewhere in the 20's so who will be available then at the QB position? Next year is going to be a transition year, at this point just focus on keep guys under 30. But if we don't fire Fichtner it really won't matter who we have playing.
    I don't follow the cap much, but I think someone posted that if we make no roster moves, we're already -22M in the hole, is that true? In that case I'd rather keep Bud Dupree than Ben