Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Tomlin - 2021 Edition

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Fire Tomlin - 2021 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Nothing will change.
    The standard is the standard.

For us that is watching Mikey go 3 for 7 in the playoffs in his last ten playoff games, losing most of the time to inferior teams. ENOUGH. If we can get guy like Urban Meyer, DO IT now. Otherwise get ready to get your teeth kicked in on free agency. Let's take all the comp picks we can get, let Tomlin coach out his final year ( Which will be a losing season ) and get a better head coach with a higher draft pick.

It's over. The window is closed.

Art Rooney II I'm talking to you. We'l see what type of owner you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    15 years ago. Since then, the San Diego/LA Chargers have been through 3 HCs (looking for a 4th now), have gone 116-108 in the regular season and have made a grand total of two postseason appearances in the last ELEVEN years to include zero AFC Championships and zero Super Bowls.

Careful what you wish for...you just might get it.
    If the cover 2 was in vogue, like it was 15 yers ago AND we had Bill Cowher's coaches ( Tomlin can't hire an OC for crap ) and players, sure things would be just fine. That was then, this is now. Our window is shut. Yes, I wish for it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post

For us that is watching Mikey go 3 for 7 in the playoffs in his last ten playoff games, losing most of the time to inferior teams. ENOUGH. If we can get guy like Urban Meyer, DO IT now. Otherwise get ready to get your teeth kicked in on free agency. Let's take all the comp picks we can get, let Tomlin coach out his final year ( Which will be a losing season ) and get a better head coach with a higher draft pick.

- - - Updated - - -

If the cover 2 was in vogue, like it was 15 yers ago AND we had Bill Cowher's coaches ( Tomlin can't hire an OC for crap ) and players, sure things would be just fine. That was then, this is now. Our window is shut. Yes, I wish for it.
    Fine. Just don't bitch if things get even worse. Urban Meyer? LOL - no flaw in that plan seeing how many "top flight" college HCs have absolutely flamed out in the NFL - especially ones who want to be the top paid HC in the league right out of the chute.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

The only issue I have with Tomlin is that it seems he is oblivious to how bad his coordinators can sometimes be.

Tomlin did not go 28-0 into the hole in the 1st quarter. Did not throw 4 picks. Didn't give up big runs to Chubb.

For those that want to drag on Tomlin are blind to the fact that this team went 11-0 before things went south quickly. Other teams figured out how to beat the Steelers. That is on the coordinators being ridiculously slow on how to make adjustments.

Ben's arm also apparently needs 2 quarters to warm up. Again, that isn't on Tomlin.

It is time to move on from Ben and I think that might be where they are going.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Fine. Just don't bitch if things get even worse. Urban Meyer? LOL - no flaw in that plan seeing how many "top flight" college HCs have absolutely flamed out in the NFL - especially ones who want to be the top paid HC in the league right out of the chute.
    Oh I expect a very tough 2021 with negative cap space, an aging and expensive roster of players, and many of our players in their prime being unrestricted free agents.

You might want to check out Meyer's record, especially in the bowl games. The man is a winner. I think the guy has some issues, but coaching football is not one of them. Tomlin is just an average coach, who says colorful things and is loved in by the media.

Lot's of Pro coaches have " Flamed out too " The game has changed. At least Meyer knows what he's doing. Tomlin is a lousy X's and O's coach. His use of time out sucks, He can't hire an OC, and his teams fall flat too often in the playoffs. Ya want that?

We need a re-build, Tomlin could not win with talented rosters in the playoffs...for YEARS. Like I said I looked at his last 10 playoff games. He's 3 wins, and 7 losses. Enough already. I actually do not want a coaching change this year, unless we can bring in a coach of Meyer's qualifications. There is a reason he's asking for a lot. Otherwise let Tomlin coach out his last season, getting us a higher draft pick. That's right, I think A new coach would do marginally better ( 1-2 more wins ) in his rookie year partly because he's for change, and not sticking with the old, injured or slow. Hiring a better staff, and understand the fundamentals of when to call time outs are other reasons. PLUS veterans crap their pants with a new head coach, not dance or act like a look at me type on Social media. Tomlin does not control diva's well.

We'll see what Rooney does.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Urban Meyer? LMAO. Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Junior Member Array title="PaBrownsfan is an unknown quantity at this point">

I don't see the front office firing m.tomlin. The Steelers just don't give up on head coaches liker that. This team has had only 3 head coaches in 50 years. Its just a horrorible ending to a season that was 11-0 at now sitting home watching others play on.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Look they won't fire Tomlin and, no team can recover from a five turn game in the playoffs. It was very hard to watch being a life long steeler fan!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'm not saying Tomlin needs to go, but time's up for Ben and Fitchner.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Can we fire SOMEONE please?!
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    Can we fire SOMEONE please?!
    I guess you can fire yourself from this board......just an idea.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Look they won't fire Tomlin and, no team can recover from a five turn game in the playoffs. It was very hard to watch being a life long steeler fan!
    Plus he’s black. No way Rooneys fire a minority when they got the Rooney rule implemented. Unless they hire Eric Bienemy

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Urban Meyer? LMAO. Stop.
    Exactly. I was going to respond, but really, what's the point?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

FWIW, Fichtner's contract has expired. I expect he'll be gone and Canada is the likely guy to replace him, though I hope they look outside but it's doubtful if Ben returns.

Other coaches. RB coach Eddie Faulker may get the axe. Took over for James Saxon in 2019 who was hired by the Cards.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Plus he’s black. No way Rooneys fire a minority when they got the Rooney rule implemented. Unless they hire Eric Bienemy
    Him being black does not have anything to do with why the Rooney's will not fire Tomlin. I think it has to do with the fact that his all time winning percentage is better than Cowher, Noll, Bill Walsh or Joe Gibbs. Don Shula (67.7%) and Bill Belichek (67.2%) are only marginally better than Tomlin (65%).

You dont fire good coaches unless you are stupid. The Rooneys are not that.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    He's not getting fired after going 13-3. As pissed off as we are no owner would fire someone under those circumstances.
    Tomlin is 1-5 in his last 6 game, lead the team to another collapse, and is 3-7 in his last 10 playoff games.

FIRE HIM if he can be replaced with a Grade A coach NOW, or do it after next year ends and simply let his contract run out. This way Rooney can say I didn't fire him

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Tomlin is 1-5 in his last 6 game, lead the team to another collapse, and is 3-7 in his last 10 playoff games.

FIRE HIM if he can be replaced with a Grade A coach NOW, or do it after next year ends and simply let his contract run out. This way Rooney can say I didn't fire him
    Not going to happen, especially if Ben retires. The Rooney's will give him a shot with a new QB. Tomlin would be snatched up so fast by other teams it's ridiculous. He just went 12-4 in a weird season with COVID19. It's going to take a few straight 5-11 seasons to even get this considered.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Not going to happen, especially if Ben retires. The Rooney's will give him a shot with a new QB. Tomlin would be snatched up so fast by other teams it's ridiculous. He just went 12-4 in a weird season with COVID19. It's going to take a few straight 5-11 seasons to even get this considered.

He also did tthat while they play in the toughest division in the NFL.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I guess you can fire yourself from this board......just an idea.
    If you wanna wield the ban-hammer, you might save me from contemplating why I started posting again.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

I don't know what will happen. One man decides. Meanwhile Tony Dungy rips Tomlin, and Ron Cook says his hot seat is warming up. When Tony Dungy says it, people should listen. It's not about creed or race as Dungy is very much the same in these areas.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202101120045

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

The buck stops here.

#FireTomlin

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    The buck stops here.

#FireTomlin
    Unfortunately, it will probably end with some lame quote like "we will unleash hell" before making no significant changes and finishing the year with his first losing record.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The buck stops here.

#FireTomlin
    So your stock on Ben is still up but your stock on Tomlin is down?

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Ben isn't capable of carrying the team anymore as he has in the past. I think if you give him DECENT line play with a DECENT game plan he's still gonna put points on the board. The offense still performs best when Ben is calling plays no-huddle, which tells me he is still effective but the offensive scheme generally sucks. The OC is in over his head, the OL coach change has made no impact (they've never looked worse). We have a great RB who's tough and has a great attitude but on more than half of his carries he's getting contacted before he reaches the line of scrimmage. Ben didn't play well today but has played well for the last month and last week looked great. Unfortunately I think this is the way were gonna see Ben go out...struggling because he's trying to carry the team when surrounded by a weak line and and a horrendous coaching staff.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Rooney’s just need to spend more on good coordinators, instead of searching in the bargain bin. Tired of getting out schemed by other teams and wondering why our coordinators don’t make adjustments in game. I’m fine with giving Tomlin a couple more years to right the ship - just spend more money on some good coordinators- offense, defense, DB’ coach, line coach….hired the best people you can find and break out of the buddy buddy system - our most effective OC has been Haley, who was not anyone’s buddy but he was miles better than Fichtner and so far Canada

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

Yes. I'd rather have Ben on my team than Tomlin as my coach. I'm sick and tired of this lackadaisical team. Sick and tired.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yes. I'd rather have Ben on my team than Tomlin as my coach. I'm sick and tired of this lackadaisical team. Sick and tired.
    I'm sure that next year the opposite of your wish will come true. Tomlin will be coaching and Ben will be retired.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Get rid of both then. No QB could lead this team to SB, and no coach could either. They’re both part of the problem. Get Eric Bienemy in there . Id love to find a franchise QB in draft but don’t think one is in it. I’d take Garrapolo over Ben next year in a minute. whether you like it or not Ben is done.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

If we can get guy like Urban Meyer, DO IT now.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Rooney’s just need to spend more on good coordinators, instead of searching in the bargain bin. Tired of getting out schemed by other teams and wondering why our coordinators don’t make adjustments in game. I’m fine with giving Tomlin a couple more years to right the ship - just spend more money on some good coordinators- offense, defense, DB’ coach, line coach….hired the best people you can find and break out of the buddy buddy system - our most effective OC has been Haley, who was not anyone’s buddy but he was miles better than Fichtner and so far Canada
    Tomlin's had 10 years to right the ship after the Super Bowl team finally got too old. I think we know what we have by now, and that is a coach who is adequate but nothing special. Some coaches are tactical geniuses who will out-scheme you, but he doesn't do that. Some are great teachers who get the most out of their players, but he isn't that either. Some are great motivators, and Tomlin talks a lot like one, but it doesn't actually do much. Some are great leaders and organizers, who find great staff and collaborate with them, but that doesn't sound like him either. As the saying goes, "A" people hire other "A" people. "B" people hire "C" and "C-minus" people. And that looks a lot like what we've got going on.

It's very frustrating that the last two-thirds of Ben's career went by without even seriously competing for a championship. Tomlin is near the top of all kinds of leaderboards because he had a running start, but the results over the next decade have been pretty ho-hum. The team's never been BAD, but it's never been that good either. Every team for the last 10 years has had some obvious problem, and it's always, "give him a chance, we're almost there, it'll be fixed soon, we'll get 'em next year," but then next year is not much different, except maybe the obvious problem has shifted somewhere else like a game of whack-a-mole.

Eventually, you can either keep stringing things along "just a couple more years" and holding out hope that things will be great once you finally get those couple problems out of the way, and then you look up and another frustrating decade has passed and you're still just drifting along, kind of like that one ex-girlfriend who was always vaguely dissatisfied about something, and you thought she'd be really great if she ever got over it, but eventually you figured out that's just who she was.

Well, that's who Tomlin is. The Andy Dalton or Tony Romo of head coaches. He's not bad, but he's not going to win you anything that matters. But you can't bring yourself to cut him loose, because there's so much history and you don't have anything better lined up - so just like your ex, you stick it out for another couple years, and another, until finally no one can stand each other anymore, so you flip out and start banging the secretary and spend your savings on a Ford Mustang. That's about where we are right now, or at least we should be.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

^ I pretty much agree, I thought at the very least overhaul the coaching staff but ultimately, yeah, this team needs a no nonsense detail oriented coach who will have the team prepped, who is on top of what his coordinators are doing and win when they’re supposed to (like Noll). I think the pitfalls of being a ‘buddy’ or players coach are obvious