Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They say it takes 3 seasons to grade a draft. How did we do in 2018?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

They say it takes 3 seasons to grade a draft. How did we do in 2018?

They say it takes 3 seasons to grade a draft. How did we don in 2018?

1. Edmunds. B- He's made some plays this year. In his first two years he was weak link. Now just a guy on the defense playing with a lot of talented people.
    2. Washington C. When you 2nd round pick is #4 on the depth chart what can you say? He's a good third option. Should be more impactful next year as Ju-u likely walks.
    3. Rudolph C. I need more than his last game to grade him higher. A back up, not the future.
    4. Okorafor. C. Staring due to an injury, I don't see much push in the ground game from him.
    5. Allen. D. At best a special teams guy and psrt time player.
    6. Samules. C-. Likely cut next year.
    7. Frazier. F. Cut in the camp of 2018.

Overall this was not a good draft. The 2019 draft was slightly better, and the 2020 draft without a first round pick looks better.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 01-09-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: They say it takes 3 seasons to grade a draft. How did we don in 2018?

Out of that whole list I really thought Samuels was going to be special. He was fantastic in college and looked good initially as a 3rd down back. But I'll willing to give him, Rudolph and Washington a pass since our offensive coordinator has been clueless on how to use great players let alone anyone.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I would bump Washington up to a B

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A few thoughts...

Tomlin loved Lamar Jackson, but there was ZERO chance they take a QB in R1 with Ben having a few years left in the tank (heck, Ben took offense at them taking Rudolph in R3).

I wanted LVE. Many were very high on Darius Leonard, but no one thought of him being a R1 guy; most saw him being taken in the middle of R2. That one hurt.

The Steelers met with Jessie Bates and Justin Reid. I really thought that the pick was going to be one of those two safeties. btw: Bates is the "best FS not named Minkah" in the NFL.

I think Washington was mocked to the Steelers by almost everyone. (I think I had Kerryon Johnson, RB mocked to us in R2. )

Since the rumors were out there that Dallas was going to draft LVE, my mock included Fred Warner (along with Justin Reid and Kerryon Johnson). Missing out on Werner one does not hurt as much as missing out on Leonard, but...

It makes me wonder what could have been in 2019, if we had taken Leonard in R1 or Warner with our early R3 pick. Then, in 2019, we would not have "had" to trade up to get an ILB. In turn, we keep our R2 pick... and, maybe our R2 pick in 2019 is DK Metcalf.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Solid draft. 2 starters and good rotational player(JW).

Chuk probably moves to LT next year, his natural position. His best football is ahead I believe, still just 23 years old.

I was really hoping that Allen would have worked out.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    A few thoughts...

Tomlin loved Lamar Jackson, but there was ZERO chance they take a QB in R1 with Ben having a few years left in the tank (heck, Ben took offense at them taking Rudolph in R3).

I wanted LVE. Many were very high on Darius Leonard, but no one thought of him being a R1 guy; most saw him being taken in the middle of R2. That one hurt.

The Steelers met with Jessie Bates and Justin Reid. I really thought that the pick was going to be one of those two safeties. btw: Bates is the "best FS not named Minkah" in the NFL.

I think Washington was mocked to the Steelers by almost everyone. (I think I had Kerryon Johnson, RB mocked to us in R2. )

Since the rumors were out there that Dallas was going to draft LVE, my mock included Fred Warner (along with Justin Reid and Kerryon Johnson). Missing out on Werner one does not hurt as much as missing out on Leonard, but...

It makes me wonder what could have been in 2019, if we had taken Leonard in R1 or Warner with our early R3 pick. Then, in 2019, we would not have "had" to trade up to get an ILB. In turn, we keep our R2 pick... and, maybe our R2 pick in 2019 is DK Metcalf.
    So what you’re saying is that you should be the Steelers GM. I’ll co-sign that!

I see a below average draft without any red chip or blue chip players. If Edmunds is your best pick, it's not a good draft.

I too liked Bates and Reid better.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

A few thoughts...

Safety was a real weakness for us. In 2017 I wanted Budda Baker or Marcus Maye. Either of those guys would have been great as well.

Edmunds has turned into a solid starter. People have been way too tough on him.

Washington is a good NFL player. I love how he makes contested catches and plays physical. I think he will do great with more playing time.

Rudolph seems to be developing into a pretty good #2 QB and appears to be improving.

Okorafor is starting due to injury, but doing pretty well.

Marcus Allen has always been underrated and a guy that shows up on game day. I think he has played well this year in his role. I don't see how a fifth round pick that has turned into a solid contributor is a disappointment.

Samuels is a guy I expected a little more from. His role has been reduced, but frankly, I don't see the guys that they have been playing in front of him as being as talented as him in some respects.

Overall, I think it's a solid draft class. Everybody wants superstars with every pick, but there are a lot of contributing players from that class and they are still improving.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I can think of worse drafts in the past 10-12 years.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    So what you’re saying is that you should be the Steelers GM. I’ll co-sign that!
    Well, I do have 20 years experience running the Ravens...

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Out of that whole list I really thought Samuels was going to be special. He was fantastic in college and looked good initially as a 3rd down back. But I'll willing to give him, Rudolph and Washington a pass since our offensive coordinator has been clueless on how to use great players let alone anyone.
    I too was excited for Samuels, but I think turned out to be too slow and unathletic to excel in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

My grades

Terrell Edmunds: He's not terrible, but he's the easy weak link in the secondary. He was a reach and he's played like such. C-

James Washington: He's a solid no. 3 who once in a while will impress with a tough catch. For a second rounder, B-

Mason Rudolph: He's a solid backup, but he's not starter caliber. Only seems to work in short stints. C+

Chuks Okefor: Meh, haven't been impressed. D+

Marcus Allen: Career special teamer/backup. C-

Jaylen Samuels: Had 1 good game against the Patriots. After that didn't do much. Probably would have benefited from being out of the backfield more though. Patriots game for a 6th is enough for a C-

Joshua Frazier: Who? Since he's a 7th rounder, I'll grade D

Overall Grade: C. I think this is pretty appropraite. This was overall a pretty mediocre draft. No pick who was outright terrible like Jarvis Jones or Artie Burns but no one who stands out as even a solid starter either

@pczach

The 2018 draft reminds me of the 2002 Draft. No one is a home run, but we have a bunch of doubles... that when lined up back-to-back, can produce the same result.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    They say it takes 3 seasons to grade a draft. How did we don in 2018?

1. Edmunds. B- He's made some plays this year. In his first two years he was weak link. Now just a guy on the defense playing with a lot of talented people.
    2. Washington C. When you 2nd round pick is #4 on the depth chart what can you say? He's a good third option. Should be more impactful next year as Ju-u likely walks.
    3. Rudolph C. I need more than his last game to grade him higher. A back up, not the future.
    4. Okorafor. C. Staring due to an injury, I don't see much push in the ground game from him.
    5. Allen. D. At best a special teams guy and psrt time player.
    6. Samules. C-. Likely cut next year.
    7. Frazier. F. Cut in the camp of 2018.

Overall this was not a good draft. The 2019 draft was slightly better, and the 2020 draft without a first round pick looks better.
    Edmunds, Washington, Okorafor are all part of the starting rotation. A
    Allen is a subpackage player and a quality backup. B-C
    Samuels is strictly ST and backup. C-D
    Frazier didn't make the PS. F

Rudolph is the key to this draft. IF he can progress to the role of quality starter for after Ben retires his stock rises. He was drafted to become that over time. He is not that currently and nothing says he ever will be. His role requires more time though to grade out. If all Rudolph ever becomes is a Chase Daniel level backup, this is a B-C grade selection. Anything less is an F.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

@pczach

The 2018 draft reminds me of the 2002 Draft. No one is a home run, but we have a bunch of doubles... that when lined up back-to-back, can produce the same result.
    These are the drafts where you build the core of your team. When almost everyone sticks to the roster, raising the overall level of talent. When the core is strong, there is good depth and the impact of great players is more noticeable because there are fewer weaknesses.

Edmunds has improved every season. By season five, I feel that we will call him a solid B+ pick

I don’t think he will ever be considered an “A”, simply because people still can’t even say that Dupree was a good pick. Yes, Edmunds played poorly early on in his career, but so did Troy Polamalu.

NOTE: Edmunds is not Polamalu. Please, don’t overly dissect/misread that sentence.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: They say it takes 3 seasons to grade a draft. How did we do in 2018?

Edmunds let’s other guys make plays. Who do you think is filling in coverage behind many of those Hilton blitzes? Supporting underneath so that MF can roam the deep middle?

Edmunds has improved every season. By season five, I feel that we will call him a solid B+ pick

I don’t think he will ever be considered an “A”, simply because people still can’t even say that Dupree was a good pick. Yes, Edmunds played poorly early on in his career, but so did Troy Polamalu.

NOTE: Edmunds is not Polamalu. Please, don’t overly dissect/misread that sentence.
    Except Edmunds isn't half the safety after year 3 that polamalu was in year 2. Polamalu may have struggled in year 1 but after that he took off

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Except Edmunds isn't half the safety after year 3 that polamalu was in year 2. Polamalu may have struggled in year 1 but after that he took off
    That's how I see it. Edmunds has improved from making next to no plays and leading the team in missed tackles to an assignment sound player. But he's also playing with an excellent pass rush, AND three very good players next to him in the defensive backfield. Probably our best pick in 2018.

What are you trying to say even? You're trying to make a comparison that simply isn't there

What are you trying to say even? You're trying to make a comparison that simply isn't there
    Are you willfully being obtuse?

- - - Updated - - -

SMFH

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Fairly simple. Throw out Edmunds rookie year on the premise that even generational talents can have poor rookie years. Then evaluate Edmunds trajectory or the idea that he’s greatly improved each year. Taking all that in, revise your grade on him. It’s the idea that many fans assign a grade or ranking to a player and never move off of it despite improved play.

For many Dupree is still a bust despite growing into one of the better edge defenders. I’m sure people feel the same way about Leonard Floyd even after watching him wreck Seattle today.

Edmunds was a C who turned into a B and is a few INTs away from being an A.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fairly simple. Throw out Edmunds rookie year on the premise that even generational talents can have poor rookie years. Then evaluate Edmunds trajectory or the idea that he’s greatly improved each year. Taking all that in, revise your grade on him. It’s the idea that many fans assign a grade or ranking to a player and never move off of it despite improved play.

For many Dupree is still a bust despite growing into one of the better edge defenders. I’m sure people feel the same way about Leonard Floyd even after watching him wreck Seattle today.

But, Dupree doesn’t even play strong safety...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

But, Dupree doesn’t even play strong safety...

- - - Updated - - -

SMFH
    Why not act willfully obtuse towards an obtuse point. The problem with this is people can easily forget Troy Polamalu struggled to start his career because he quickly became one of the greatest safeties of all time. Edmunds on the other hand simply hasn't played well enough. He's just another guy, a guy that happens to be surrounded by other people that are more talented. You just tossed in Polamalu's name to make yourself feel smarter. Yes some people struggle their rookie years and end up having great careers. There are also people who just aren't good enough to be considered an A grade draft picks especially for the 1st round, even if they improve by simply improving on terrible rookie play. There is a difference.

I read your statement just fine thank you very much. The problem is people can easily forget Troy Polamalu struggled to start his career because he quickly became one of the greatest safeties of all time. Edmunds on the other hand isn't impressive enough, he isn't good enough. He's just another guy, a guy that happens to be surrounded by other people that are more talented. You just tossed in Polamalu's name to make yourself feel smarter. Yes some people struggle their rookie years and end up having great careers. There are also people who just aren't good enough to be considered an A grade draft picks especially for the 1st round, even if they improve by simply improving on terrible rookie play. There is a difference. So please, curb your patronizing just because someone can't agree with your point
    How about you stop nitpicking the minutiae... and instead, start looking at the gestalt.

How about you stop nitpicking the minutiae... and instead, start looking at the gestalt.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Year 1 Terrell Edmunds was thrown into the fire at SS because the Morgan Burnett/Nat Buhre(sp) experiment failed miserably. Sean Davis was the FS and Haden, Sensabaugh, and Burns were the CBs. Marcus Allen and Brian Allen were the backups. How can anybody tell how well or poorly Edmunds played that season? There was no help in that secondary. Other than Haden that entire group has moved on to other teams or a new position. Edmunds is still the starter at SS. That gives him an A grade, IMO. If you want to quibble B, ok fine. But the guy has only missed 1 game since he got there. I think he has become a very solid NFL starting SS. I did not like the pick at the time but he turned out to be a good pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Please stop making sense. You're frightening some people that simply want to hang onto their original opinion whether it's correct or not so they can badmouth that player forever.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

SMFH