Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The problems with our running game. A brutal and honest review

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The problems with our running game. A brutal and honest review

What's wrong with our running game? A lot of things.

1 ) Players like Ebron and Johnson, who we play often can't block their weight. This hurts the outside the tackle running.

2 ) The OL has lost its rushing power. Pouncey does little these days. DeCastro who used to move and block well has done neither this year. Chucks has little push. Dotson is just okay. Big Al and Feiler can still run block. Both are free agents and we have negative cap space in 2021. Yes, the OL needs an oil change. Quickly.

3 ) The play calling. When you opt to throw is short as often as you do, the defense deploys its men toward the line of scrimmage to stop it. This leave little room to run, and its not like we play 2 TE set, or us our FB often. Teams are ready for our short passes and know when a WR goes into motion, there's a good chance of a jet sweep. Enough already.

4 ) The talent at the Running Back position is weak. Conner tries hard but he just can't run outside, meaning the defense jams the middle. He's very easy to prepare for. Snell is just a guy who follows his blockers. MacFarland is the opposite of Conner, he can't run in-between the tackles and goes down way too easily. None of the running back can hit the big play.

5 ) Ben used to run it, especially when it was man coverage and 4-5 wide. He's just too old to do that now. So our QB running for 1st downs is not an option. Dobbs might change that a bit, but he's not playing much when Ben is active.

6 ) Our play action is seldom used. If we ran it better, this key play could open up a lot.

Short term solutions? Play McDonald and Claypool more often, and Johnson and Ebron a bit less. At least on 1st and 2nd down when we may run it. Throw more mid range to deep passes, Ben this is on you. You took over vs the Colts in the 2nd half, and look what happened!

Long term solutions.

1 ) Draft a back with size and speed and at least two OL players.

2 ) Fire the OC, and if we lose in the playoffs Tomlin with him who has hired both Todd Haley and Randy F. I don't want to be 3-7 in the last ten playoff games.

3 ) Play Claypool more often, he's one of our few players who can block, run, and catch. He also draws many PI flags.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 01-09-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The problems with our running game. A brutal and honest review

Simply put: This is Ben's Offense, and whatever is done to make him comfortable, the Steelers will do.

Running the football requires a physical mentality and commitment. The Run game will never get moving until the team changes its mindset.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

O line sucks, we need a big RB. Never heard that one before.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Don’t forget firing Tomlin!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Or even fire Cowher. This topic goes far back to when the similar thinking was all about drafting Greg Jones in 2004.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Throw a hundred darts and one might hit the bullseye...

I think you left the equipment manager not providing the right cleats off your list.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Throw a hundred darts and one might hit the bullseye...

I think you left the equipment manager not providing the right cleats off your list.
    What if we changed the jerseys to having block letters? Would be just like the power running game the Steelers always had.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Simply put: This is Ben's Offense, and whatever is done to make him comfortable, the Steelers will do.

Running the football requires a physical mentality and commitment. The Run game will never get moving until the team changes its mindset.
    We can't run it well today. Whether its Ben's or Randy's offense

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What if we changed the jerseys to having block letters? Would be just like the power running game the Steelers always had.
    Clearly, that's an issue that needs addressed.

He's only under contract until 2021. I say KEEP him, we will need a higher draft pick in 2022. Then he can get on with his life's work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Clearly, that's an issue that needs addressed.
    Lots of changes need to be made. One Art Rooney II can make them.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Whatever the offense is that lets us score on every play, run that. If we run a play, even if it's to set up something for a later play, that doesn't go for a score or at least 20 yards, stop running that play.

Use 2 footballs to confuse the defense which ball is actually the 'live' one.

Only block the defenders that might tackle our guy. If your defender isn't going to make the tackle then go block the one that is going to make the tackle.

Have the coaches check in on some Steelers fan forums to see what plays they should run and when.

Win or lose everybody gets fired after this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Whatever the offense is that lets us score on every play, run that. If we run a play, even if it's to set up something for a later play, that doesn't go for a score or at least 20 yards, stop running that play.

Use 2 footballs to confuse the defense which ball is actually the 'live' one.

Only block the defenders that might tackle our guy. If your defender isn't going to make the tackle then go block the one that is going to make the tackle.

Have the coaches check in on some Steelers fan forums to see what plays they should run and when.

Win or lose everybody gets fired after this game.
    The truth hurts, doesn't it? No mockery will change that. The was meant to be a football thread. Oh well...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The truth hurts, doesn't it? No mockery will change that. The was meant to be a football thread. Oh well...
    You don't think my ideas will work? Which ones? All of them or just some?

You don't think my ideas will work? Which ones? All of them or just some?
    You should start with three footballs. If you want funny I guess If I contribute money for SU, I too can advertise for State Farm.

You should start with three footballs. If you want funny I guess If I contribute money for SU, I too can advertise for State Farm.
    HUH! You know before you mentioned it, all I ever saw was Ryan Shazier.

HUH! You know before you mentioned it, all I ever saw was Ryan Shazier.

Well, you'd better check out my latest thread then. It's about football, and I bet you never thought of that one either. Be honest now. Shameless plug, its in the Pigskin U fourm.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, it was pretty obvious that when we opened up the passing game, the running lanes opened up. The fix is simply more mid/deep passes so teams aren’t crowding the box to stop the short passing game and run game. I suspect we will see that this weekend. I also suspect we will be drafting heavy OL this draft since that is our biggest need from what I see. Conner is serviceable if he has better blockers, and I think he gets over 100 yds this week.

Well, you'd better check out my latest thread then. It's about football, and I bet you never thought of that one either. Be honest now. Shameless plug, its in the Pigskin U fourm.
    ...and you better learn how proofread your posts. “Field Goats”.

...and you better learn how proofread your posts. “Field Goats”.
    Nice of you to pay attention! You should see my draft review on Carter Hal. He's a little slow, and not too smart, but there's just something about him.

Nice of you to pay attention! You should see my draft review on Carter Hal. He's a little slow, and not too smart, but there's just something about him.
    Nice of you to change your type face.

You remember that period of time recently, when you weren’t posting.?..........That was nice.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The problems with our running game. A brutal and honest review

Quoted wrong post. Sorry.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I found the perfect RB. Look at the power!

Member Array title="Disco1981 has a spectacular aura about">

The 2 worst, are our to 2 Pro Bowlers... Pouncey and DD... Pouncey gets pushed back and can't drive block to save his Ass...DD isn't much better...How they made the Pro Bowl,tells you it's a joke, and Dotson is our best OL but I'm hearing Feiler will start Sunday night smh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    The 2 worst, are our to 2 Pro Bowlers... Pouncey and DD... Pouncey gets pushed back and can't drive block to save his Ass...DD isn't much better...How they made the Pro Bowl,tells you it's a joke, and Dotson is our best OL but I'm hearing Feiler will start Sunday night smh
    DeCastro looks like he’s injured (and it was overtly stated as such in the first few weeks of the season). He gets a pass.

Drat!!! I was hoping that Dotson would continue to start. Getting Feiler back is great for our depth, but if he does indeed start, I’m not sure I play him at LG. Honestly, Chuks has struggled off & on for the entire season, and AV hasn’t looked great the past few weeks. I might start Feiler at one of the tackle positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    I agree with most of this, and like I said the Steelers have a way of keeping expensive veterans around when they cost a lot of money and play poorly. Dotson has been getting a lot of love lately. But hear this, he's below average as a fun blocker. So is Pouncey, but he costs 10X as much.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Nice post. The only thing we can do right now for this weekend is take your #3 into account and pass the ball down the field more to loosen up the defense. A competent OC would have designed a few throws to Ebron/McDonald about 10-15 yards down the middle to make teams respect that area.

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

What's wrong with our running game? A lot of things.

1 ) Players like Ebron and Johnson, who we play often can't block their weight. This hurts the outside the tackle running.

2 ) The OL has lost its rushing power. Pouncey does little these days. DeCastro who used to move and block well has done neither this year. Chucks has little push. Dotson is just okay. Big Al and Feiler can still run block. Both are free agents and we have negative cap space in 2021. Yes, the OL needs an oil change. Quickly.

3 ) The play calling. When you opt to throw is short as often as you do, the defense deploys its men toward the line of scrimmage to stop it. This leave little room to run, and its not like we play 2 TE set, or us our FB often. Teams are ready for our short passes and know when a WR goes into motion, there's a good chance of a jet sweep. Enough already.

4 ) The talent at the Running Back position is weak. Conner tries hard but he just can't run outside, meaning the defense jams the middle. He's very easy to prepare for. Snell is just a guy who follows his blockers. MacFarland is the opposite of Conner, he can't run in-between the tackles and goes down way too easily. None of the running back can hit the big play.

5 ) Ben used to run it, especially when it was man coverage and 4-5 wide. He's just too old to do that now. So our QB running for 1st downs is not an option. Dobbs might change that a bit, but he's not playing much wen Ben is active.

6 ) Our play action is seldom used. If we ran it better, this key play could open up a lot.

Short term solutions? Play McDonald and Claypool more often, and Johnson and Ebron a bit less. At least on 1st and 2nd down when we may run it. Throw more mid range to deep passes, Ben this is on you. You took over vs the Colts in the 2nd half, and look what happened!

Long term solutions.

1 ) Draft a back with size and speed and at least two OL players.

2 ) Fire the OC, and if we lose in the playoffs Tomlin with him who has hired both Todd Haley and Randy F. I don't want to be 3-7 in the last ten playoff games.

3 ) Play Claypool more often, he's one of our few players who can block, run, and catch. He also draws many PI flags.
    Good post, I'm not sure why you're being mocked for it. The Steelers' RBs and TEs are substandard, line play has deteriorated (not sure whether that's on age, injury, coaching or a blend of all three), and the offensive philosophy has been baffling over the last few weeks (except for the second half of the Colts game).

The Steelers definitely need an upgrade at RB, especially if Conner leaves as a FA after the season (and the Steelers should not break the bank to keep him). If the Steelers pick in the late 20s, which seems likely, the RB should be on the table for the 1st round. TE and OL are also high priorities.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W&M_Steeler View Post
    Good post, I'm not sure why you're being mocked for it. The Steelers' RBs and TEs are substandard, line play has deteriorated (not sure whether that's on age, injury, coaching or a blend of all three), and the offensive philosophy has been baffling over the last few weeks (except for the second half of the Colts game).

The Steelers definitely need an upgrade at RB, especially if Conner leaves as a FA after the season (and the Steelers should not break the bank to keep him). If the Steelers pick in the late 20s, which seems likely, the RB should be on the table for the 1st round. TE and OL are also high priorities.
    He's getting mocked because these are a series of old ideas that have been talked about multiple times around here for years in some cases. The second is that this particular poster has a long history of cutting and pasting long posts such as the one above from other sources and passing them off as his own. This seems like that, only Six Rings has finally learned how to unify formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    He's getting mocked because these are a series of old ideas that have been talked about multiple times around here for years in some cases. The second is that this particular poster has a long history of cutting and pasting long posts such as the one above from other sources and passing them off as his own. This seems like that, only Six Rings has finally learned how to unify formatting.
    You nailed it.