Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I don't think Leatherwood is a first round pick. I'd rather pick a good back or Center/Guard over TE early in round two. You picked Stills twice, pick again in round six. Carter is an interesting pick. Like him as the 3rd round comp pick.
    Leatherwood or whichever OT you prefer... as long as it’s an OT.

Freiermuth and Brevin Jordan are the only two “difference maker” TEs in this draft. (Well, obviously there’s Pitts, but he’s not dropping anywhere close to 24.) We need a significant upgrade at that position. Plus, a TE is a young QB’s best friend.

Dante is the younger brother of Darius. Dante should have stayed in school (although, in three years, he’ll probably be the better player). They work really well together.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    95% of members on SU are MR haters. The game day thread will be really something, that is unless he plays lights out then everyone will be buying his Jersey.
    I don’t mind Rudolph. Last year, I said a lot of times, that the O-Line was a big contributor of his failures. I couldn’t count the amount of times that Rudolph was throwing the ball from an awkward position, without his legs, with no follow through, etc all because the line was instantly in his face.

I was impressed with him Week 17 and it definitely looks like his mechanics are better. Very interested to see how he progresses.

I believe the Steelers are still 2 years away from drafting a QB. Rudolph, Dobbs, Duck will be the line up if it’s not Ben, Rudolph, Dobbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Article saying Mac Jones isn't NFL ready:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...as-a-prospect/

So if he falls to the 2nd round and is still there do you take him?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Article saying Mac Jones isn't NFL ready:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...as-a-prospect/

So if he falls to the 2nd round and is still there do you take him?

Who is Chris Trapasso? The guy ends by saying there's a good chance he will be selected within the first 32 picks. Ya think Chris? Why not compare his deep ball accuracy to the others, rather than hide behind garbage stats LOS stats? If you want to take out all throws behind the LOS, where would he rate? Oh still #1? I think Jones is an NFL ready as it gets. Did Chis mention he's a 4.0 student? Of course not. Guy process quickly at quarterback.

The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Who is Chris Trapasso? The guy ends by saying there's a good chance he will be selected within the first 32 picks. Ya think Chris? Why not compare his deep ball accuracy to the others, rather than hide behind garbage stats LOS stats? If you want to take out all throws behind the LOS, where would he rate? Oh still #1? I think Jones is an NFL ready as it gets. Did Chis mention he's a 4.0 student? Of course not. Guy process quickly at quarterback.
    I hope there is more like Chris saying this, so Mac Jones doesn't go higher and is there for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

At least he writes his own stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

sure is a glass half empty way to look at Jones stats. lets look at the negative side of every stat. forget the fact the guy started one year and didn’t come close to losing a game. Its hard to judge a college qb, bigger disparity from star to average player than in nfl, and receivers seem to be more wide open. hard to imagine after watching him play this year he won’t do what it takes to be successful in NFL. not many college qb’s come in NFL ready. I can wait 2 years for a star QB though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

ouch!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    You try to hard to impress others on this board to make you feel good about yourself!

Don;t worry I'm taking a break till draft time and won't call you out again. See ya in a few months.

So do I. You have never proven otherwise, and based on your replies here you DKSAF.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

So do I. You have never proven otherwise, and based on your replies here you DKSAF.
    Burn ... a DKSAF! It's not even in the urban dictionary.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

How dare YOU! FYMITAFTUIB4L!!

YAMFAYKI !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Burn ... a DKSAF! It's not even in the urban dictionary.
    You might need to play or coach to know the meaning. Hint-hint " Don't know &hi^ about football " So now you now.

YAMFAYKI !

- - - Updated - - -

You might need to play or coach to know the meaning. Hint-hint " Don't know &hi^ about football " So now you now.
    TIWL

Thanks I was lost

So is it possible that Ben plays one more season on an extended, fully guaranteed, “3 year deal” with no new money? Is that even possible?

One more season of Ben would be until the end of Tomlins deal. At that point, the Rooney’s decide if they are sticking with Tomlin and a new QB or going with a new HC and a QB that fits the new guy’s philosophy.

The fear is that they draft a guy that Tomlin and Colbert like and then the “new guy” doesn’t like him and it’s a wasted pick.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    You try to hard to impress others on this board to make you feel good about yourself!
    cool, didn't realize you're a psychiatrist.

I've been having this recurring dream lately...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Every draft, there is a player that Steelers fans are passionate about. One side is deeply infatuated with that player, and the other side thinks that that player is the worst thing since Hitler. (Oddly, there never seems to be a middle ground.) For the 2021 draft, that player is named...

Mac Jones

Let the vitriol begin!!!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Every draft, there is a player that Steelers fans are passionate about. One side is deeply infatuated with that player, and the other side thinks that that player is the worst thing since Hitler. (Oddly, there never seems to be a middle ground.) For the 2021 draft, that player is named...

Mac Jones

Let the vitriol begin!!!
    No vitriol here...I save it for the Soapbox.
    Kornheiser characterized Mac Jones as the second coming of Bart Starr. Efficient, effective, smart, but lacking a cannon for an arm.
    Starr-like QB play worked well in the 60’s.
    Not sure it would be as effective in today’s deep ball game.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    No vitriol here...I save it for the Soapbox.
    Kornheiser characterized Mac Jones as the second coming of Bart Starr. Efficient, effective, smart, but lacking a cannon for an arm.
    Starr-like QB play worked well in the 60’s.
    Not sure it would be as effective in today’s deep ball game.
    Thoughts?
    Jones is really accurate. He throws a great ball. He doesn’t make mistakes. He completes an uncanny number of passes. But, those passes only go 7-10 yards... and, we witnessed firsthand how that turns out. Sure he has thrown some deep balls (every QB has), but I do not see him as a Mahomes/Rodgers type; I just see him as Tom Brady...

...which is why I think the Taperiots nab* him.

*(if they don’t trade for Watson).

SUMMATION:
    I’ll need some convincing to take Jones at 24.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think for the immediate future the QB is Ben R. Once Ben retires the current plan is Mason R. I don't think the Steelers draft a QB in 2021 unless that is the one stipulation the new OC must have to take the job.

As for Mac Jones, everything I have read on him, EVERYTHING, says he's a high football IQ QB that understands pre-snap and post-snap reads, makes it through his progressions quickly, is above average in accuracy and throwing guys open. His knocks are that he will require a clean pocket, is below average at creating under pressure, and doesn't have elite arm strength.
    Lots to like and lots to be concerned about.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So...question...for all those far more well versed in prospects than myself (so just about everyone!).

How much "weaker" is Jones' arm than Burrow's? Burrow doesn't exactly have a cannon either. But his high IQ and pinpoint placement allow him to do well. In fact, he surpassed my largely uniformed expectations because his reported "average or below average" arm strength was not exploited by defenses.

So is on a scale of Favre to Alex Smith (use whatever scale you want to) how would those two compare?

So...question...for all those far more well versed in prospects than myself (so just about everyone!).

How much "weaker" is Jones' arm than Burrow's? Burrow doesn't exactly have a cannon either. But his high IQ and pinpoint placement allow him to do well. In fact, he surpassed my largely uniformed expectations because his reported "average or below average" arm strength was not exploited by defenses.

So is on a scale of Favre to Alex Smith (use whatever scale you want to) how would those two compare?
    FYMITAFTUIB4L

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Stronger than Chad Pennington but weaker than Jeff George.

Think: Brady in the right offense.

So not a weak arm at all? On par with Burrow's?

That is what is always so hard to parse with all these draft reports. What does "not a strong arm" mean? Like he can't throw if through a brick wall from 80 yards away or that he can't hit a 10 yard out to the far sideline?

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

One of my biggest concerns with college QBs coming to the NFL is how do those QBs deal with pressure coming at them. Are they able to navigate it well, step up into the pocket as needed, and willing to take a shot in order to get a good and accurate pass off?

I don't watch enough college football games or QBs to have any real insight into how these top prospects are in relation to dealing with pressure. From my cursory readings, it does not appear that Mac Jones has really had to deal with pass rush pressure (...my assumption may be false, but with playing for the most elite college football program at Alabama I assume his pocket is clean way more often than your average college QB..).

I went to college at NC State and lived and worked in Raleigh, NC, back in the early 2000s , and I saw Philip Rivers play a bunch of games in person back in those days. I saw him first hand deal with pass rush pressure successfully, and to be able to go through his reads and make accurate throws under duress. Even when he was a sophomore playing I suspected he would make it in the pros just fine because of this, even though he never had a rocket arm, and he had an unorthodox throwing motion.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    One of my biggest concerns with college QBs coming to the NFL is how do those QBs deal with pressure coming at them. Are they able to navigate it well, step up into the pocket as needed, and willing to take a shot in order to get a good and accurate pass off?

I don't watch enough college football games or QBs to have any real insight into how these top prospects are in relation to dealing with pressure. From my cursory readings, it does not appear that Mac Jones has really had to deal with pass rush pressure (...my assumption may be false, but with playing for the most elite college football program at Alabama I assume his pocket is clean way more often than your average college QB..).

I went to college at NC State and lived and worked in Raleigh, NC, back in the early 2000s , and I saw Philip Rivers play a bunch of games in person back in those days. I saw him first hand deal with pass rush pressure successfully, and to be able to go through his reads and make accurate throws under duress. Even when he was a sophomore playing I suspected he would make it in the pros just fine because of this, even though he never had a rocket arm, and he had an unorthodox throwing motion.
    That is my biggest fear with Justin Fields. When he’s pressured, he looks awful.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That is my biggest fear with Justin Fields. When he’s pressured, he looks awful.
    I've seen some people say Justin Fields will be a better pro QB than Trevor Lawrence. I don't know what that assessment is based on though, except for Fields is more of a dual-threat QB who can run.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    everyone except you and Six Rings.

I have standards.