Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
Results 1,111 to 1,135 of 1135

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It is absolutely the decision making and flawed fundamentals. Far too often there is an "easy" throw (at least at the NFL level) right there and Trubisky just flubs it up. He also has demonstrated the physical capability to make jaw dropping throws. But he gets the basic things wrong over and over and over again. To the point that the Bears offense struggled to fundamentally function.
    I remember a point in the season, last year or year before, when the media was saying the Bears' defense just quit because the offense was so bad. I was too entertained watching my team's bad offense though.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

This reminds me too much like the Tomzcak acquisition- just no thanks

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I have been reading up on Ridder, he sounds like a good fit that needs to work on his accuracy a little. Good arm, likes to stay in the pocket but can run well when needed, good decision maker and pre snap reads. I wouldn’t be upset if we drafted him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I have been reading up on Ridder, he sounds like a good fit that needs to work on his accuracy a little. Good arm, likes to stay in the pocket but can run well when needed, good decision maker and pre snap reads. I wouldn’t be upset if we drafted him.
    I think the biggest upside to me about Ridder is he has 49 games under his belt in college and went 44-5 in those games. This is experience and winning. Doesn't mean it translates to the next level but I think it gives him the best chance out of this year's class.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I change my mind about this a lot, just because I'm trying to stay with what's realistic. Right now, I'd be moderately optimistic with any of the three: Jimmy G, Mariota or Minshew. All three are significantly better than Rudolph.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I change my mind about this a lot, just because I'm trying to stay with what's realistic. Right now, I'd be moderately optimistic with any of the three: Jimmy G, Mariota or Minshew. All three are significantly better than Rudolph.
    That’s fair, but what is the actual goal in getting one of these guys? To win 8 or 9 games? I’d rather not have to give up draft picks in a trade or spend more money on any outside QB who doesn’t make us an immediate Super Bowl contender. If we can’t get that then I say build up the team in other areas until we can find our real QB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    That’s fair, but what is the actual goal in getting one of these guys? To win 8 or 9 games? I’d rather not have to give up draft picks in a trade or spend more money on any outside QB who doesn’t make us an immediate Super Bowl contender. If we can’t get that then I say build up the team in other areas until we can find our real QB.
    What if Jimmy G wins a couple playoff games? He’s taken the Niners to the Super Bowl, he’s won a couple playoff games…at that point, do the Niners even want to let him go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    1. Jimmy G has been to a Super Bowl and almost won
    2. I think Mariota may have a Tannehill-type upside in his comeback
    3. Minshew is young and has a 4-1 TD to INT ratio. His ceiling is still out there.

1. Jimmy G has been to a Super Bowl and almost won
    2. I think Mariota may have a Tannehill-type upside in his comeback
    3. Minshew is young and has a 4-1 TD to INT ratio. His ceiling is still out there.
    Of those 3 Minshew has the moxy to be a Ben type of player, a winning attitude. But any of the three would be fine with me as they would be in a good situation with a potentially top defense, good running game and solid WRs. All that is possible with a couple key FA’s and a good draft.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What if Jimmy G wins a couple playoff games? He’s taken the Niners to the Super Bowl, he’s won a couple playoff games…at that point, do the Niners even want to let him go?
    I actually feel like whichever team wins the Cowboys/49ers matchup this week is the team that will represent the NFC this year. Hard to count out Brady or Rodgers but I think the Cowboys and 49ers are both playing like complete teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Of those 3 Minshew has the moxy to be a Ben type of player, a winning attitude. But any of the three would be fine with me as they would be in a good situation with a potentially top defense, good running game and solid WRs. All that is possible with a couple key FA’s and a good draft.
    I agree that Minshew has the most X factor. I was really hoping we would make a move for him last year, at least to be Ben's backup and then takeover next year. Now, we'd have to give draft compensation. If the Eagles draft a QB I think that makes him more expendable.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I agree that Minshew has the most X factor. I was really hoping we would make a move for him last year, at least to be Ben's backup and then takeover next year. Now, we'd have to give draft compensation. If the Eagles draft a QB I think that makes him more expendable.
    If the Eagles draft a QB, Minshew goes nowhere. Hurts gets traded and Minshew stays as insuraaance.

If the Eagles draft a QB, Minshew goes nowhere. Hurts gets traded and Minshew stays as insuraaance.
    Good point, but I guess it could go either way with the backup there. They may look at Hurts to be the one to compete with the rookie for the 2022 starting job.

Good point, but I guess it could go either way with the backup there. They may look at Hurts to be the one to compete with the rookie for the 2022 starting job.
    Although Hurts may be a cheaper back up then Minshew…so maybe they do keep Hurts. With that, they keep more of a QB-Controversy spark then if they kept Minshew and they can probably get more for Hurts in trade value…I would think…

Although Hurts may be a cheaper back up then Minshew…so maybe they do keep Hurts. With that, they keep more of a QB-Controversy spark then if they kept Minshew and they can probably get more for Hurts in trade value…I would think…
    It's tough to make out what direction Hurts will go. Some games he looks really solid. I think he has more upside than say, a Mayfield, but do the Eagle's want to commit long term?? I think they may stick with him one more year to decide.

The Future QB of the Steelers is...

I wouldn’t be against Hurts either, I just assumed Minshew would be the expendable one given Hurts has been the starter.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Isn't Jalen Hurts just a less explosive Lamar Jackson? I have not had a chance to see very much of the 2021 Eagles offense, but they are calling running plays at a fairly brisk clip. Hurts looks to be running more than most QBs. And I haven't seen too many highlights where he is just passing all over people.

Does he excite more than Rudolph or Haskins? Sure. BUT...but...if you want to utilize a guy like Hurts as your QB, it can be a roster bending move. For him to flourish, you need to surround him with specific types of players and call specific types of plays. Is that something the Steelers are set up to do? Maybe. Is it what they seem to want to be? I don't think so. They seem to always want to be a team that can do a couple different things on offense. Now, they do NOT consistently pull that off...

Doesn’t seem Hurts really took much of a leap in the passing game from last year to this. Might just be who he is. Better than Rudolph but so are 15 or so QBs that might be available.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Doesn’t seem Hurts really took much of a leap in the passing game from last year to this. Might just be who he is. Better than Rudolph but so are 15 or so QBs that might be available.
    Good points.

The Eagles have built a system that allows Hurts to perform well. I do not think he does well outside of that system.

Good points.

The Eagles have built a system that allows Hurts to perform well. I do not think he does well outside of that system.
    Yeah LJ has a WR body and Hurts has a RB body so it can withstand more collisions.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Good points.

I agree Hurts needs a specific system and wouldn’t fair well as a traditional drop back QB. I think he passes a little better than Lamar. Hurts atleast has some touch and takes care of the ball better, obviously less explosive though. Not sure if he ever takes the next step which is needed to become franchise QB. He’s an easy guy to root for though but it seems like he’s going to compete for starting job every year.

Hurts for me is a someone I don’t know a lot about. I keep hearing that Willis is a similar prospect.

Makes me wonder two things:
    1. Does Hurst cost more or less draft picks to pry out of the Eagles?
    2.. How long into the draft would Willis have to fall for Philly to take him and continue their pattern of having multiple QBs in the system?

Which brings us back to Minshew.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Hurts for me is a someone I don’t know a lot about. I keep hearing that Willis is a similar prospect.

Makes me wonder two things:
    1. Does Hurst cost more or less draft picks to pry out of the Eagles?
    2.. How long into the draft would Willis have to fall for Philly to take him and continue their pattern of having multiple QBs in the system?

Which brings us back to Minshew.
    I heard during game Philly has 3 first round pics. Hard to believe they’re not taking a QB after watching Hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I heard during game Philly has 3 first round pics. Hard to believe they’re not taking a QB after watching Hurts.
    Agreed. There’s a version where they just open it up to Hurts, Minshew, and 1st round pick next training camp and see what they see.

They will be a fascinating team to watch this off-season.

The New York teams and the Iggles control the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Sam Howell in R2 is my call