Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Even a first round rookie is going to need 2-3 years to get it together, we should take advantage of our defense while it’s still tops - Heyward for instance is 32. O line will be better, we can spend more on the line too, Harris will be coming into his second year…we’d be primed for a run with a top QB

Rodgers very well might be available, if we can get him I say do it,

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The reason why we didn't have a good QB between Bradshaw and Ben is because we farted around with QBs in the third round, fifth round, random optimistic free-agent signings ... it just wasn't a huge priority. If they are serious about finding a new QB, they'll at least have someone serviceable within a few years. As you say, there are a lot of good pro prospects coming out these days.

The one thing I hope we avoid is the ever-present "incredible raw talent, needs coaching" prospect, because those are the ones that fail a lot, and we are especially good at fucking those picks up.
    Malone was R1 and Kordell was R2. But I agree, we need a top 10 pick to get the guy that will be a franchise QB.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Malone was R1 and Kordell was R2. But I agree, we need a top 10 pick to get the guy that will be a franchise QB.
    Ben went 11th overall in 2004.

And even if the Steelers do manage to get that high, there's no sure thing this franchise guy will be any good (Mitch Trubisky, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Carson Wentz, Sam Darnold), or even last very long (Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RGIII), Deshaun Watson is virtually done in the league after four years despite his productivity. Jared Goff played in a Super Bowl for the Rams, now he's on another team. Carson Wentz is already on his second team.

Mahomes is the only high first round Quarterback to be worth a damn as of late, and he sat for a year before starting.

There is no 'sure-thing" when it comes to a franchise QB. The Steelers will just have to make due with what they can get. Even if they don't, does it make a difference? They haven't won a damn thing with Ben under center in 13 years. It takes more than a "franchise guy" to win Super Bowls.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well Malone got injured, which kind of screwed that one up. Kordell was a great R2 pick as a wild-card, and it would've been so much better for everyone if that's how we kept using him.

But yeah, you are going to have much better odds by spending serious draft picks on serious prospects. Maybe not trading three first-rounders to move up for one player, but if you are at least using some R1 and R2 picks regularly, you ought to find a decent guy after a few tries.

I think it's possible to compete for a title with one of those "pretty good" QBs who you wouldn't necessarily build a team around. But even then you have to be trying. Like, every once in a while your Mason Rudolph pick will turn out to be Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott - but you don't even get that with the garbage-tier picks we historically used on unknown dingbats, or guys who have an obvious deal-breaker flaw.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I have a feeling we’ll be picking in the mid teens. That should position us to move up to 6-8 without giving up more than one R1 pick.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I have a feeling we’ll be picking in the mid teens. That should position us to move up to 6-8 without giving up more than one R1 pick.
    That would be not bad. Sometimes you can find a guy in mid-R1 anyway and not have to move, but that kind of depends on the draft class, and honestly I have no idea what this year's looks like for QBs. It does seem like standard procedure these days is to have to move up, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That would be not bad. Sometimes you can find a guy in mid-R1 anyway and not have to move, but that kind of depends on the draft class, and honestly I have no idea what this year's looks like for QBs. It does seem like standard procedure these days is to have to move up, though.
    I like Rattler from OU but I’m not sold on any of the others. Maybe Howell from UNC but he reminds me too much of Mayfield. I’m sure that some unknown will become a top 5 darling before the process is over.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Even a first round rookie is going to need 2-3 years to get it together, we should take advantage of our defense while it’s still tops - Heyward for instance is 32. O line will be better, we can spend more on the line too, Harris will be coming into his second year…we’d be primed for a run with a top QB

Rodgers very well might be available, if we can get him I say do it,
    This. This is why I've been saying Rodgers can be your bridge QB for 2-3 years. He's a year younger than Ben and has no where near the mileage Ben's body has. Heck if Brady can play until 45 there is no reason to fear a 38-40 year old Rodger for a 2-3 year deal. Sign Rodgers, and then either this year or next draft a QB in round #1.

Imagine Rodgers throwing to Claypool, Smith-Schuster, Johnson, Freiermuth, Washingon and Harris out of the backfield.

What are we giving up for Rodgers? I’d guess the asking price starts at 3 first rounders.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

What are we giving up for Rodgers? I’d guess the asking price starts at 3 first rounders.
    This is a year removed from his trade demand; for 2022 at 38 years old? A 1st and a 3rd,

This is a year removed from his trade demand; for 2022 at 38 years old? A 1st and a 3rd,
    You’re dreaming bro.

You’re dreaming bro.
    they were talking two firsts for this season, no way Green Bay gets that in 2022 for a 38 year old QB. Anyway, we’ll see, maybe if he leads the packers to the super bowl this year….

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    This. This is why I've been saying Rodgers can be your bridge QB for 2-3 years. He's a year younger than Ben and has no where near the mileage Ben's body has. Heck if Brady can play until 45 there is no reason to fear a 38-40 year old Rodger for a 2-3 year deal. Sign Rodgers, and then either this year or next draft a QB in round #1.

Imagine Rodgers throwing to Claypool, Smith-Schuster, Johnson, Freiermuth, Washingon and Harris out of the backfield.
    Well, with this oline the milage will add up very fast on Rogers. I doubt he would have got up if he was hit like Ben was against the raiders. Besides that he isn't going to come to any team with a leaking dike oline. That is one of the main things Brady looked at before moving to TB, Rodgers would do the same.

It would be great to have Rodgers in the interim, but I just don't see it happening. Someone is going to offer multiple first-rounders, and that's just not worth it for a guy who's only going to play 2 or 3 years. Those are the same draft picks we'd need to use for the future QB, and for things like making sure we don't have a bullshit defensive line (man, did losing Hargrave hurt). Rodgers would be nice, but you can't have everything.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

they were talking two firsts for this season, no way Green Bay gets that in 2022 for a 38 year old QB. Anyway, we’ll see, maybe if he leads the packers to the super bowl this year….
    “They” we’re just media heads. He’ll go for a minimum of two 1’s and a 3.

“They” we’re just media heads. He’ll go for a minimum of two 1’s and a 3.
    If you read about his renegotiated contract he’s got more leverage over the packers in 22, meaning they’ll get less back for him if he forces a trade, well see, depending on the state of our o line Rodgers may not even want to come here

If you read about his renegotiated contract he’s got more leverage over the packers in 22, meaning they’ll get less back for him if he forces a trade, well see, depending on the state of our o line Rodgers may not even want to come here
    It's solid wishful thinking. But why get Aaron Rodgers when you have Mason Rudolph?! Lol

It's solid wishful thinking. But why get Aaron Rodgers when you have Mason Rudolph?! Lol
    Rodgers is going somewhere next year,

with our o line the way it is so far we may see Rudolph sooner rather than later

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Rodgers is going somewhere next year,

with our o line the way it is so far we may see Rudolph sooner rather than later
    Probably Vegas…with Adams…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Good question. I would NEVER give up a 1st for a guy that old. But he has control after this season and if he wants out (which I'm pretty sure he does because he hates the Packers front office) I don't see the Packers trying to stick it to him because they are going to get screwed by the CAP.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Probably Vegas…with Adams…
    After watching Carr the first two weeks why would they?

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I am pretty sure he was looking at Denver, with their above average defense and decent weapons and most importantly, willingness to get him more weapons to make a SB run.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    After watching Carr the first two weeks why would they?
    Cause there’s still 16 weeks left and 2022 is Carr’s last season of the contract.

Rodgers for Carr makes sense to the Packers because Carr and Adams have a history. If they want to keep Adams, trading Rodgers to the Raiders for Carr may be a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I am pretty sure he was looking at Denver, with their above average defense and decent weapons and most importantly, willingness to get him more weapons to make a SB run.
    I think the Broncos, 49ers and Raiders were the three teams linked to him.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Rodgers wants control over entire franchise. He wants to be asked about every move they make. He wants to install his offense, his plays, his guys. Basically he wants package the Brady got with Tampa. He's not coming to Pittsburgh.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    Rodgers wants control over entire franchise. He wants to be asked about every move they make. He wants to install his offense, his plays, his guys. Basically he wants package the Brady got with Tampa. He's not coming to Pittsburgh.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока
    Agreed....and he doesn't want to take the hits Ben receives.

It’s gonna be a R1 draft pick next year, with Rudolph playing the part of Andy Dalton.

If we continue to play like this Oklahoma's Spencer Rattler is looking pretty good.

The future is.............. NOW

Garoppolo is a possibly next year (someone else mentioned it somewhere). He's not a stud but he's light years better than this Ben. The 49ers are definitely going to play Lance sooner than later and might want to trade him.

He's only signed through next year with a CAP hit of $27 million.