Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

And there we go, Ben will count $25.9 mil against the cap this year, that is .9 mil over what I thought would happen. QB question done, now it’s time to start resigning players we want to keep

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Future QB of the Steelers is...

The Bears offered at least three first round picks, a third round pick and two starting players for Russell Wilson before settling on Andy Dalton...after the Seahawks turned it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The Bears offered at least three first round picks, a third round pick and two starting players for Russell Wilson before settling on Andy Dalton...after the Seahawks turned it down.

Yup, when you have a QB that was in the MVP conversation the past season, 2 Super Bowl appearances and one ring, I dont think you trade him away unless you have another younger and cheaper QB locked up to take his place. Geno Smith doesnt count.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Add Trubisky - I think he has the physical tools to be good. He’s an accurate passer
    even if I wanted to argue with you, I see your avatar and just nod in agreement.

the unlimited power of bouncing boobies is undeniable.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    even if I wanted to argue with you, I see your avatar and just nod in agreement.

the unlimited power of bouncing boobies is undeniable.
    ETL is MVP

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    ETL is MVP
    I agree.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I agree.

Who is that chick? Lol. I think I only know her as “ETLs avatar”.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Watching highlights of the Texans game got me thinking...

The Texans have surrounded Deshaun Watson with absolutely nothing. Ergo, once again, they are picking in the top 5... with a bunch of QBs available. Also, the Texans are desperate for draft picks. They could unload Watson’s contract, and use that money to sign free agents to surround the (inexpensive) rookie QB. Plus, by trading Watson, they could recoup a bunch of draft picks. As in:

Colbert could trade our ENTIRE draft to the Texans in exchange for Deshaun Watson.

It is a win-win.

With Watson having so many years left on his deal, Khan could easily push that money down the road (in order to keep TJ, Hilton, and JuJu).
    I know this was posted on 12-30. Things have changed. Who wants a 1-3 QB in the playoffs who elevated his team to a 4-12 record that passed for many yard as teams would trade them for time off the cock? Watson has a real chance to play for the Texas Penal team next. With 7 legal suits envloving acts of sex and assault he's and NFL untouchable. I thin he's already lost the court of public opinion, and Roger Goodell looms. Goodell nailed Ben who was never charged with anything. Whats he going to Watson with the NFL promoting women?
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm out on Watson! We already lived this out once 10 years ago. Not again!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm out on Watson! We already lived this out once 10 years ago. Not again!
    Yeah, but he is innocent until proven guilty!! I seem to recall something about that 10 years ago.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, but he is innocent until proven guilty!! I seem to recall something about that 10 years ago.
    I was on record in favor of moving on from Ben at that time. I have no regrets about those feelings. I’m glad he settled down, but I would have been happy to move on.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Skip Bayless thinks Ben Roethlisberger can play for three more years if he rededicated himself

Longtime NFL analyst and writer John Clayton was on 93.7 The Fan last week and surprisingly said that he thinks Ben Roethlisberger at the age of 39 will play for two more years.
    Most analysts and fans are under the assumption that 2021 will be the final ride for Roethlisberger. But one national sports analyst agrees with Clayton's assessment on Roethlisberger playing for at least two more years, and that's Skip Bayless of FS1. Bayless actually thinks Roethlisberger can play for three more years.

Bayless says he's known Clayton for years and that when he says two more years for Roethlisberger, he fully believes it.

"So, Ben Roethlisberger is 39 years of age, if I'm Pittsburgh, I'm trusting him and I would root for him to play three more years," Bayless said on "Undisputed" earlier this week. "Because I believe if he rededicated, he's capable of playing three more years. Because you know what? He knows how to play that position. He has instincts that are right up there with Brady's except he's got the bigger body and he's gotten away with brushing off pass rushers, creating time and space in the pocket just because he's such a huge naturally strong human being. I'm not talking about weight room strong, it's almost like country strong."

Roethlisberger got major elbow surgery in September of 2019 and Bayless thinks having the second year of recovery might help him in 2021.

to read rest of article:

https://www.renegadeblitz.com/post/s...icated-himself

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Skip Bayless thinks Ben Roethlisberger can play for three more years if he rededicated himself

Longtime NFL analyst and writer John Clayton was on 93.7 The Fan last week and surprisingly said that he thinks Ben Roethlisberger at the age of 39 will play for two more years.
    Most analysts and fans are under the assumption that 2021 will be the final ride for Roethlisberger. But one national sports analyst agrees with Clayton's assessment on Roethlisberger playing for at least two more years, and that's Skip Bayless of FS1. Bayless actually thinks Roethlisberger can play for three more years.

Bayless says he's known Clayton for years and that when he says two more years for Roethlisberger, he fully believes it.

"So, Ben Roethlisberger is 39 years of age, if I'm Pittsburgh, I'm trusting him and I would root for him to play three more years," Bayless said on "Undisputed" earlier this week. "Because I believe if he rededicated, he's capable of playing three more years. Because you know what? He knows how to play that position. He has instincts that are right up there with Brady's except he's got the bigger body and he's gotten away with brushing off pass rushers, creating time and space in the pocket just because he's such a huge naturally strong human being. I'm not talking about weight room strong, it's almost like country strong."

Roethlisberger got major elbow surgery in September of 2019 and Bayless thinks having the second year of recovery might help him in 2021.

to read rest of article:

https://www.renegadeblitz.com/post/s...icated-himself
    OBviously Skip didn't watch the final weeks of the season

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    OBviously Skip didn't watch the final weeks of the season
    So Ben gets not even a little pass for coming off of arm surgery, not playing for almost a year, probably suffering some arm fatigue? No one was complaining when he was playing lights out at the beginning of the season and they were 11-0 with 25 TDs and 6 interceptions or whatever...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

So Ben gets not even a little pass for coming off of arm surgery, not playing for almost a year, probably suffering some arm fatigue? No one was complaining when he was playing lights out at the beginning of the season and they were 11-0 with 25 TDs and 6 interceptions or whatever...

Is it possible Father Time jumped on his back in a quick ambush? Sure it is.

Is it so possible that Ben will be better this season because he is a full year removed from that surgery, and he could be getting back some feeling and strength back? Absolutely.

Many won't even consider it or give him the benefit of the doubt. You would think he earned that but....

Yep. It’s no secret that there was a big difference in Ben’s production from the first half to the second half and the second half to his career. It was concerning.

I’m more in the camp that I want to see the decline continue consistently before I write him off. Who knows...maybe he’s only an 11-Game season guy at this point...but I’d like to see the decline one more time before writing him off.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Many won't even consider it or give him the benefit of the doubt. You would think he earned that but....
    You mean like ownership asking him to take a pay cut?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The offense relied solely on the short pass all year and once other teams figured that out. the offense died. Heck there were concerns about his deep ball late in November when the team was 10-0 https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.co...-offense-2020/

Also, he's been getting hit and hurt with consistency for over a decade and a half. Age and injury sent Peyton Manning and Brett Favre into a sudden decline they never recovered from, around this age. It's not unreasonable to think Ben is at that stage now. Even if he has some sort of resurgence, 3 years? 3 years without the next injury that sends him into a sudden decline that he never recovers from? Be reasonable

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The offense relied solely on the short pass all year and once other teams figured that out. the offense died. Heck there were concerns about his deep ball late in November when the team was 10-0 https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.co...-offense-2020/

Also, he's been getting hit and hurt with consistency for over a decade and a half. Age and injury sent Peyton Manning and Brett Favre into a sudden decline they never recovered from, around this age. It's not unreasonable to think Ben is at that stage now. Even if he has some sort of resurgence, 3 years? 3 years without the next injury that sends him into a sudden decline that he never recovers from? Be reasonable
    I am 99% sure his late season drop off was due to arm fatigue, because I got shoulder surgery Jan of last year and my should is just now 100%. I would get fatigued playing paintball, not holding up my marker consistently 8 months later after all my PT and strength exercises. While I am on a tourney team, it isn’t my life and I didn’t use my shoulder as much as Ben used his elbow. I would be surprised to see him continue his late season slump to start this season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

His accuracy and diminished arm strength were issues from snap 1 of game 1 last season. They won so most ignored them.

I remain hopeful because it’s the starting QB for my favorite team, but I’m a pessimistic person by nature so I’m prepping myself for a whole season of the Bills game.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

You mean like ownership asking him to take a pay cut?

We're talking about performance, how hard he's played for the team, and how well he has played over his career.

Financial issues happen in football. There's a big difference between asking a quarterback to reduce a $41million dollar cap hit, and thinking he can't play anymore. If they didn't think he could play, they would have probably released him.

If you think he's done and can't play anymore, that's ok. You may not consider it even a possibility that he will recover physically or was fighting injuries last season. If so, that's alright too. I just don't understand how people don't seriously consider it as a distinct possibility.

You've made up your mind without really knowing. I'm willing to concede that there's a chance both scenarios are in play.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    We're talking about performance, how hard he's played for the team, and how well he has played over his career.

Financial issues happen in football. There's a big difference between asking a quarterback to reduce a $41million dollar cap hit, and thinking he can't play anymore. If they didn't think he could play, they would have probably released him.

If you think he's done and can't play anymore, that's ok. You may not consider it even a possibility that he will recover physically or was fighting injuries last season. If so, that's alright too. I just don't understand how people don't seriously consider it as a distinct possibility.

You've made up your mind without really knowing. I'm willing to concede that there's a chance both scenarios are in play.
    I really haven’t made up my mind. The more distance I get from the end-of-season slump, the more optimistic I get. But that’s my nature. That said, how many other teams asked their HOF franchise QB to take a pay cut? My point is that all of the unbelief is not on this forum. Some of it is in the Steelers building. Let’s hope for the best.

I really haven’t made up my mind. The more distance I get from the end-of-season slump, the more optimistic I get. But that’s my nature. That said, how many other teams asked their HOF franchise QB to take a pay cut? My point is that all of the unbelief is not on this forum. Some of it is in the Steelers building. Let’s hope for the best.

Peyton Manning and Drew Brees took pay cuts. I'm sure there are many more if we dig for that information.

If a great quarterback stays in the NFL long enough, they will be in that position with the team they are on. It's a reality of the modern NFL game in the salary cap era.

This isn't some unprecedented move. With restructures, teams back themselves into a corner with a huge salary cap hit....then something drastic needs to be done so the team can still function at a high level.

The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Not true at all. Yes, there was an extremely high amount of short passes...maybe in place of fun plays? However, his accuracy through the first 13 games last season on the deep ball (20+) was slightly better than what he did in 2018 and not that far off from his career numbers.

He’s never been an extremely good deep ball thrower but to say his skills have diminished a lot...it’s just not true...for Ben Roethlisberger, it’s not that far off. The comparison to the rest of the league holds no water and through the first part of the season, his accuracy and the zip he had on the football were visibly better than what it was in 2018.

Regardless, like Pzach said...sure it’s possible that Father Time smacked him in the face or it could be arm fatigue or maybe a shitty offense. I’m willing to see which one it is. I’m not expecting much out of this upcoming season as they face the most difficult schedule in the league...Ben, Rookie, Rudolph, whatever is back there, it’s not looking like a Super Bowl run to me.

So yeah...I’m willing to see what the real problem with Ben was.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I love all the Big Ben haters.. all the dummies that said he wasn’t even the third best qb in the north.. the man came back off a season (in most cases would have been career) ending injury to outshine all of the north qbs including the previous years “MVP” having a better td to int ratio all while having to throw 50 times a game ,he also had the highest completion % in the north while the Steelers receivers led the NFL in dropped passes.. now the analysts have Pittsburgh going under .500 is a joke ....keep sleepin the chip keeps growing and when Ben has a chip on his shoulder look the hell out
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The ability to deceive oneself about Ben Roethlisberger is simply astounding.

NFL defenses are telling and showing is he is DONE. That and while Butler is/was bad, him and Ben showed us that Ben is a diminished QB. Nothing over the middle past 5-6 yards. I am supposed to believe that Ebron forgot how to take a safety up the seam? Only throwing deep when the QB can put the ball along the sideline to prevent DBs from getting at it. Juju suddenly isn’t the best deep post route runner from the slot? He forgot or something? James Washington’s only reason for being drafted was contested intermediate and deep catches. Other than that game clinching floater against the Ravens, he didn’t have a chance to do anything. Washington seemingly had more success with Duck under center.

If I told you that a defense was willing to play 9-11 guys within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage against a QB even on third and long, would you draft him? If I told you that same QB couldn’t make plays over 8 yards between the hash marks and a high percentage of those attempts were INTS, would you draft him? If I told you that he was a redshirt senior who had an AMAZING freshman year but missed time with injury, would you draft him? If that same injury seemed to change his abilities and when defenses played to defend against “super frosh”, he made some plays as a senior. But later in the year when teams realized he didn’t have the “super frosh” skills post injury, he cratered. Still looking to make the draft pick? If I told you this same QB couldn’t make plays on the move and refused to run play action, still making the draft pick? If I told you this QB had to either play behind a line that allowed ZERO pass rush or throw the ball in less than 2.2 seconds, still getting your draft card ready?

If the answer to the above is no, then why believe an aging QB is going to turn it around? What evidence or precedent can we point to? I can’t remember it ever happening before.

Everything that made Ben Roethlisberger a first ballot HOFer, a Steelers legend, my favorite QB to watch play, and I guy I legitimately believed could engineer a comeback win in every single game was missing from his game in 2020.

When similar happened to Brees and Rivers they walked away. I understand and respect the decision for Ben to be the starting QB of the 2021 Steelers. It was and is the “best” decision for all parties involved. But the growing idea that the old gunslinger is going to have one last swaggering return to form is extremely difficult to square with all available evidence.

Like I’ve previously said UNLESS there was a significant and unreported physical ailment that off-season strength and conditioning can fully mitigate, then the Bills game is my baseline expectation for what 2021 Roethlisberger looks like. The only other variable is that Matt Canada has a golden touch play calling season like the one where Nagy made Trubisky look viable or where Shanahan convinced us that Jimmy G was a SB QB.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ben Roethlisberger's contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...isberger-3595/

Mason Rudolph's contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...rudolph-25175/

Dwayne Haskins' contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...haskins-29050/

Josh Dobbs' contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...a-dobbs-21877/

I get a very strong feeling a QB is going to be drafted in this upcoming draft early. Too many 'IFs' surrounding the position and absolutely nothing in the bank for next season. I really don't think it can be one of the 5 more talked about guys since they are all expected to be gone by pick 20. A different move/trade is possible though to get one of the '2nd tier' QBs. Kyle trask, Kellen Mond, Jamie Newman, Davis Mills seem to be in play for the Steelers.

Just some 'quick' grades on each from NFL.com: Applying the 'Parcells Rule' grade at the end of each.

Kyle trask: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kyle-t...5-4c69635ccf01 (4/7)

Kellen Mond: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kellen...5-3fa51a447047 (5/7)

Jamie Newman: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamie-...a-a8dd40e4e5f2 (3/7)

Davis Mills: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/davis-...b-81c6636ba80e (4/7)

And one more wildcard I haven't seen talked about much. No scout grade from NFL.com, so this is from profootballnetwork.com.

KJ Costello: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/k...rterback-2021/ (5/7)