Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Member Array title="jens.karlsson.14 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

I believe Ben will complete his contract, Rudolph as a good backup, if needed, and we'll see him more with a ordinary pre-season also. Wouldn't be surprised if we go with him after 2021. Is he really worse than Darnold? Will ge not develop to a Stafford, maybe explode to a second rank Allen..?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jens.karlsson.14 View Post
    I believe Ben will complete his contract, Rudolph as a good backup, if needed, and we'll see him more with a ordinary pre-season also. Wouldn't be surprised if we go with him after 2021. Is he really worse than Darnold? Will ge not develop to a Stafford, maybe explode to a second rank Allen..?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Darnold may not be better than Rudolph, but if Ben is not here next season and the Steelers want some competition for Mason then Darnold (or some other "purged" QB from another roster) might be an option. I just happen to like Darnold and think he could be productive somewhere else besides the Jets.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    First you imply that I either didn't watch or didn't see the O line play of either team...then your response is 5th grade name calling of "goof nut"?

You put the "ass" in "classless".

Paxton Lynch even thinks your "belief" is a joke.
    This response is so pitifully funny on so many levels.
    1. You 'believe' all responses are solely about you. There was no implication, only your inference. "YOU" meant as the plural for the entire forum. "Whether/or", didn't even disagree with your comments but offered options.
    2. Apparently you have no guy friends to bust balls with conversationally, 'goof nut'. T'was harmless.
    3. Forcing in a Paxton Lynch reference is beyond childish and petty and pretty much the very definition of 'classless'. But that's what I've come to expect.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Im not all about anything. People should be judged on actions and merit including experience and track record. Not skin color or gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I agree 100%, unfortunately our world isn't quite there yet.
    Both of these comments can be true at the same time. The "Rooney Rule" is a bit flawed, as all things of this nature are bound to be, but it is the best tool available.

Mike Tomlin is a testament to why it should be in place. The team was all set to hire Russ Grimm. It was largely reported as a done deal. Then they decided (and I can not remember why) to interview Tomlin. He blew them away and got the job. My point is that if there is a grouping of candidates that you are not interviewing/examining/whatever; you are missing many viable folks.

If the crusty old cusses that run NFL teams need a rule to force their hands...then so be it. Look at what is going on in Houston...only started looking at "not old white guys" once their starting QB and other players got pissed. They were the ONLY team with a vacancy to not initially request to interview Eric Bienemy (sp?) - the only one.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Darnold may not be better than Rudolph, but if Ben is not here next season and the Steelers want some competition for Mason then Darnold (or some other "purged" QB from another roster) might be an option. I just happen to like Darnold and think he could be productive somewhere else besides the Jets.
    I seem to keep coming back to this and I honestly apologize if this horse is already dead. I don't think Ben is leaving yet. I do think the future plan at QB is Mason Rudolph. Ben will play out his current contract and then MR takes over the lead. Obviously this could change tomorrow and so much for what I think. I'm with you on bringing in competition for MR moving forward and Darnold is not the worst idea. If something along these lines does happen it probably will be a QB on a rookie deal that another team lets walk. Competition is usually never a bad thing. I don't think however, a rookie comes in and gives much competition unless we just get lucky again.

In previous seasons there has been talk of just draft a QB every draft and see if the next franchise shakes out. That method has some promise(Ravens go from Flacco to Jackson) but the other side of that coin is the Browns(too many misses to count).

I think the plan/priority is to strengthen the OL, secure a slot CB, and improve the offensive weapons(RB, TE, WR) for next season.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I seem to keep coming back to this and I honestly apologize if this horse is already dead. I don't think Ben is leaving yet. I do think the future plan at QB is Mason Rudolph. Ben will play out his current contract and then MR takes over the lead. Obviously this could change tomorrow and so much for what I think. I'm with you on bringing in competition for MR moving forward and Darnold is not the worst idea. If something along these lines does happen it probably will be a QB on a rookie deal that another team lets walk. Competition is usually never a bad thing. I don't think however, a rookie comes in and gives much competition unless we just get lucky again.

In previous seasons there has been talk of just draft a QB every draft and see if the next franchise shakes out. That method has some promise(Ravens go from Flacco to Jackson) but the other side of that coin is the Browns(too many misses to count).

I think the plan/priority is to strengthen the OL, secure a slot CB, and improve the offensive weapons(RB, TE, WR) for next season.
    I think you are likely right in regards to Ben. The more I think about it, the more I think he will be back next season. I'm not personally sure that is the best idea, however, it is also possible that his dwindling performance as the season wore on was a result of injuries. He just never really seemed right after that Dallas game when he took the hit to the knees. Maybe he heals up if he was injured, but I just worry that his body is breaking down and he is more likely to get hurt again.

I also can't quite understand why he would often look good in hurry up/no huddle offense..........but then horrible when they were not in that mode. The obvious place to point the blame is Fichtner, but I don't know exactly what is going on with the offensive game plan during a game, other than to my untrained eye the play calling looks like crap so much of the time when they are not in hurry up mode.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

95% of members on SU are MR haters. The game day thread will be really something, that is unless he plays lights out then everyone will be buying his Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    95% of members on SU are MR haters. The game day thread will be really something, that is unless he plays lights out then everyone will be buying his Jersey.
    I'd love nothing more than for Mason Rudolph to play well consistently if he gets an opportunity to start again. Nothing could be better for the Steelers if that were to happen.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'd love nothing more than for Mason Rudolph to play well consistently if he gets an opportunity to start again. Nothing could be better for the Steelers if that were to happen.
    Indeed!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Bingo!!!

It is aways better to have too many QBs than not enough. Even if we think Rudolph could "possibly" be the guy (his footwork has improved), I would still bring in someone else (draft pick, free agent, trade for a QB who is on the outs with his current team) to compete with Rudolph for the starting job.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There’s no way that the Steelers could afford both Ben and Dak.

I’d be all for signing Dak. I really liked him coming out of college. Plus, he is a free agent; so, we wouldn’t even have to give up any draft picks for him.

GOING WITH RUDOLPH:
    Playing devil’s advocate, and the Steelers simply go with Rudolph/they don’t add another QB, I could see the draft focusing on surrounding Rudolph with talent, as well as solidifying both lines... something like this:

R1: Alex Learherwood, OT, Alabama
    R2: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St.
    R3: Landon Dickerson, OC, Alabama
    Comp: Michael Carter, RB, UNC
    R4: Darius Stills, DT, WVU
    R6: Dante Stills, DT WVU
    R7: CB
    This is my thought exactly (without the names) then we have a solid core for the next draft to get a QB if MR fails we would have a high draft pick.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Based on what I saw from Rudolph in week 17, if given an innovative OC, I'd take him over a 39-year-old Ben next season.

- - - Updated - - -

Under that premise, I'd rather have Winston.

Member Array title="Skinart82 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Based on what I saw from Rudolph in week 17, if given an innovative OC, I'd take him over a 39-year-old Ben next season.

- - - Updated - - -

Under that premise, I'd rather have Winston.
    Winston can throw the ball to anyone, but that’s the problem, he will throw it to anyone, regardless of their jersey. Maybe since eye surgery he has improved, and being in the QB room with Brees for a year couldn’t hurt.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Winston. We haven’t seen him since eye surgery a year ago and also a year under Brees and Payton.

Winston came in for Brees the game Brees got the rib/collapsed lung injury. He threw 2 balls that were in defender hands and were dropped. Hill got the starter nod for the remaining games Brees was out. That may tell us something or nothing.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Winston came in for Brees the game Brees got the rib/collapsed lung injury. He threw 2 balls that were in defender hands and were dropped. Hill got the starter nod for the remaining games Brees was out. That may tell us something or nothing.
    The fact that Winston can't beat out Taysum Hill tells me all I need to know about his viability as an NFL starter.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The fact that Winston can't beat out Taysum Hill tells me all I need to know about his viability as an NFL starter.

The thing everyone has to remember about Winston isn't just his interceptions. This guy is a turnover machine. His fumbles are off the charts as well.

Winston has 70 career starts, he has thrown 88 interceptions and has 50 fumbles.

No....that is not a misprint!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm all in for Watson but I recognize that's going to be a whole heck of a lot. Right now Mac Jones is my guy, get him at 24 and if his stock goes up trade up into the late teens if need be

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The thing everyone has to remember about Winston isn't just his interceptions. This guy is a turnover machine. His fumbles are off the charts as well.

Winston has 70 career starts, he has thrown 88 interceptions and has 50 fumbles.

that's an amazing stat, I did't realize he had THAT many fumbles also!

He averages 2 TOs a game and 2 TDs a game.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I'm all in for Watson but I recognize that's going to be a whole heck of a lot. Right now Mac Jones is my guy, get him at 24 and if his stock goes up trade up into the late teens if need be
    WATSON: Andre Johnson tweeted support of Watson asking for a trade, saying that the Texans ruin careers. OUCH!!! Johnson alos posted a picture of himself and Watson at the Rockets game, with a tagline saying something like, "Stand your ground."

JONES: Normally, we agree on player evals, but I am not seeing it with Mac Jones. He throws it 7-10 yards... and his receivers and/or RBs do all of the heavy lifting. His accuracy is phenomenal, but I fear NFL defenses will just crowd the LOS (like they are currently doing to Ben).

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Heck you are talking about trading our whole draft! That could actually get it done for Trevor!
    trading all of our draft picks this year will get us nowhere near #1.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    trading all of our draft picks this year will get us nowhere near #1.
    Never said I was for that but will be what it takes to get it Done. Work for Mike Ditka. I'm for Mac Jones if we are going to draft a QB.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

WATSON: Andre Johnson tweeted support of Watson asking for a trade, saying that the Texans ruin careers. OUCH!!! Johnson alos posted a picture of himself and Watson at the Rockets game, with a tagline saying something like, "Stand your ground."

JONES: Normally, we agree on player evals, but I am not seeing it with Mac Jones. He throws it 7-10 yards... and his receivers and/or RBs do all of the heavy lifting. His accuracy is phenomenal, but I fear NFL defenses will just crowd the LOS (like they are currently doing to Ben).
    I like Watson but need to forget him and we can't afford him. If we are getting a QB the draft is what we can afford. I like Mac Jones and would take the chance. He change my mind in the championship game and had the worries before as well with the talent around him. He played against a good defense in that game!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Never said I was for that but will be what it takes to get it Done. Work for Mike Ditka.
    Mike Ditka moved from the 12th position to the 5th and also had to give up the next year's 1st and 3rd round selections.

we would be moving from the 24th spot all the way up to the 1st.

what do you suppose we would have to give up to do that? probably all of this year's AND next year's selections.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

There’s no way that the Steelers could afford both Ben and Dak.

I’d be all for signing Dak. I really liked him coming out of college. Plus, he is a free agent; so, we wouldn’t even have to give up any draft picks for him.

GOING WITH RUDOLPH:
    Playing devil’s advocate, and the Steelers simply go with Rudolph/they don’t add another QB, I could see the draft focusing on surrounding Rudolph with talent, as well as solidifying both lines... something like this:

R1: Alex Learherwood, OT, Alabama
    R2: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St.
    R3: Landon Dickerson, OC, Alabama
    Comp: Michael Carter, RB, UNC
    R4: Darius Stills, DT, WVU
    R6: Dante Stills, DT WVU
    I don't think Leatherwood is a first round pick. I'd rather pick a good back or Center/Guard over TE early in round two. You picked Stills twice, pick again in round six. Carter is an interesting pick. Like him as the 3rd round comp pick.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

I think Jones is getting short changed. He throws it deep far more than given credit, and he's insanely accurate. The WR is quickly located, and the ball gets there with velocity and accuracy, allowing his receiver to catch it in stride or near stride. I guess his perfomance vs Norte Dame and OSU wasn't enough for some. If Fields or Lawerence did that, people would be going ga-ga. Even in a rare game where he was pressured and sacked three times, he had good game. He's very good vs the blitz anyway. This is the SEC and college playoffs. He does it vs the best. 350 yards and 3 TD's is common for him. And the ball does to get batted or intercepted often, It's rare when you factor in how often he passes it.

The media really doesn't know how to judge a QB. The focus on his height, arm, and mobility. The easy stuff. With Jones, he's got it mentally. He drops back with awareness, understands coverage ( based it off where the safety is deep ), and delivers the football quickly, thanks to a very good release. Yeah he has all star receivers, but he also makes their chances count by quickly reading the coverage and delivering the football. That part of his game is lost to the media.

I like him in round one for us, though I suspect once the guys who know what they are doing review him, he goes pick #24 or sooner.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

I don't want him in a steeler uniform.

88 INT's and 50 fumbles in 70 starts? That's a red flag in my book. More pressing to me is his twice surgically repaired knee. It's going to go again with his playing style.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">