Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Makes sense that they draft a backup with some upside. I'm actually for drafting a QB every year.
    On Move the Sticks podcast, Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks put some next tier QB's with teams they thought were a good fit. It went like this:

- Ian Book> Raiders. (rationale was that Gruden likes athletic QB's that he can move the pocket and get in rollout situations)
    - Davis Mills> Steelers. (Big Qb with big arm that was ranked #1 Highschool QB his senior year and had good 2019. Knee not a problem and showed well at Pro day)
    - Kyle Trask> Patriots. (Big, accurate pocket passer that isnt great athlete and not the strongest arm. Kind of like their last QB from the past 2 decades)
    - Kellen Mond> Broncos.( I tuned out by then....

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i really like ian book, but that being said no way we draft him lol

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    i really like ian book, but that being said no way we draft him lol
    Maybe in the 5th or 6th to be a backup.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just curious here....

Can anyone find any info on Mason Rudolph’s offseason? When was that shoulder surgery he had? Does he do social media things and talk about himself at all? I can’t find anything.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Maybe in the 5th or 6th to be a backup.
    Maybe.

Bucky Brooks said that Book to the Raiders in the 4th was where he could see them taking him. All hypothetical projections, but interesting.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just curious here....

Can anyone find any info on Mason Rudolph’s offseason? When was that shoulder surgery he had? Does he do social media things and talk about himself at all? I can’t find anything.
    I seen he was working out with Claypool and Michael Pittman Jr a few weeks ago. Looked to be in good shape.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I seen he was working out with Claypool and Michael Pittman Jr a few weeks ago. Looked to be in good shape.
    I found this article with Rudolph on the cover but no mention of him within: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202104160145

Found the chase Claypool IG: https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/wa...oushmandzadeh/

Another from the Chase Claypool IG: https://www.renegadeblitz.com/post/m...-the-offseason

I was hoping to find something on MR specifically.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Accumulate picks, and trade them to move up in the 2022 draft for Spencer Rattler.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Accumulate picks, and trade them to move up in the 2022 draft for Spencer Rattler.
    or Sam Howell.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

With only 32 teams, how is it that the demand every year always outweighs the supply??

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

With only 32 teams, how is it that the demand every year always outweighs the supply??

We could always overcome the demand problem by sucking for an extended period of time and get high draft picks like all the other losing franchises that never win anything like many seem to think is a great idea! I hear coaches are great when they suck for 4 years and then win a Super Bowl in the 5th year.

Problem solved!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    We could always overcome the demand problem by sucking for an extended period of time and get high draft picks like all the other losing franchises that never win anything like many seem to think is a great idea! I hear coaches are great when they suck for 4 years and then win a Super Bowl in the 5th year.

Problem solved!
    I see what you did there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

NFL QB is the most important position in all of sports. If you have one, you win; if you do not, you will struggle (unless the circumstances are just right). Ergo, any & all QBs who "might" be a franchise QB get launched way, way, waaay above their actual draft value.

This rumor swirled (and died) a few weeks ago.

Kyle Trask to the Steelers.

Well... it’s back again.

Well... it’s back again.
    In the 5th round? I’m for it!

I think a QB will be drafted. Maybe Trask.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Well... it’s back again.
    Gross. The only NFL "tool" that Trask seems to have is prototypical size. But he is slow when moving around, processes a bit slow, doesn't improvise well, and has good enough arm strength.

So, and I ask this with all seriousness, those that like Trask - help me understand how he isn't just a bigger Mason Rudolph?

If I was running an NFL team and I wanted to roll the dice on non-first round QB...I would prefer a guy with at least one high level NFL tool. So I would look at Mills or Newman. At least there you are betting that you can develop/coach up a seemingly high level NFL arm. Trask does not seem to have room for development/improvement.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I can't see the steelers drafting any QB unless one from the top 5 slide. The talking heads are in heat now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Gross. The only NFL "tool" that Trask seems to have is prototypical size. But he is slow when moving around, processes a bit slow, doesn't improvise well, and has good enough arm strength.

So, and I ask this with all seriousness, those that like Trask - help me understand how he isn't just a bigger Mason Rudolph?

If I was running an NFL team and I wanted to roll the dice on non-first round QB...I would prefer a guy with at least one high level NFL tool. So I would look at Mills or Newman. At least there you are betting that you can develop/coach up a seemingly high level NFL arm. Trask does not seem to have room for development/improvement.
    Think of it like this; all NFL prospect QBs have the 'tools'. The tools part is their floor. Projecting their ceiling is the neck up stuff. Just my opinion, but that is how Trask is better than MR.

Think of it like this; all NFL prospect QBs have the 'tools'. The tools part is their floor. Projecting their ceiling is the neck up stuff. Just my opinion, but that is how Trask is better than MR.
    I guess I can’t see it. I’ll have to look again.

I guess I can’t see it. I’ll have to look again.
    All you really have to look at is Trask actually goes through the options on both sides of the field. MR only ever looked at one side of the field. You can see that with any highlight reel.

Don't confuse that I'm saying Trask is going to be the next great QB, just why he's better than MR. Which was your question if I read it right.

All you really have to look at is Trask actually goes through the options on both sides of the field. MR only ever looked at one side of the field. You can see that with any highlight reel.

Don't confuse that I'm saying Trask is going to be the next great QB, just why he's better than MR. Which was your question if I read it right.
    Sure. But that means the best case scenario is you just drafted Andy Dalton. What's the point? Go 9-8 every season while you "get the right pieces around him"?

The Steelers have a WR corps built for going deep down the field. Trask does not look like that is going to be his bread and butter in the NFL. So how is the fit?

Like I said, it is a personal bias of mine and may blind me to other necessary traits, but if you are going to draft a QB (and I am big fan of doing that often) then at least get one that has an NFL arm. I used to think that you could get by with an average or so arm...and then I watched Rudolph and Hodges and 2020 Ben struggle to do basic things and cripple the offense.

Sure. But that means the best case scenario is you just drafted Andy Dalton. What's the point? Go 9-8 every season while you "get the right pieces around him"?

The Steelers have a WR corps built for going deep down the field. Trask does not look like that is going to be his bread and butter in the NFL. So how is the fit?

Like I said, it is a personal bias of mine and may blind me to other necessary traits, but if you are going to draft a QB (and I am big fan of doing that often) then at least get one that has an NFL arm. I used to think that you could get by with an average or so arm...and then I watched Rudolph and Hodges and 2020 Ben struggle to do basic things and cripple the offense.
    AND I totally believe that has been the biggest problem for the Falcons. Ryan is an accurate passer up to a certain distance and then his arm strength just isn't there and the accuracy drops. Having Jones and Ripley to throw to doesn't help as much when your QB's arm can't get them the ball downfield in stride, consistently.

If that is how you view Trask, then you don't want to draft him because that puts his floor too low. BUT if the Steelers are still going to run a lot of that throw short/run long offense, he may be perfect for that because he reads defenses and processes faster and better than MR.

There is a system in which Trask can succeed, I don't doubt that. Is it the Steelers offense? I just don't know what a Canada ran offense looks like to answer that. It could be the perfect offense for MR. It may be the perfect offense for Haskins. Therein lies the inability to predict who the QB will be next year. Kind of a fun mystery to watch play out for me actually. I'm enjoying it.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I can't see the steelers drafting any QB unless one from the top 5 slide. The talking heads are in heat now.
    agreed, and I doubt this happens. And unless the Steelers have a pick in the top 10 for the 2022 draft probably a very good chance Mason is the Steelers starting QB for the 2022 season

AND I totally believe that has been the biggest problem for the Falcons. Ryan is an accurate passer up to a certain distance and then his arm strength just isn't there and the accuracy drops. Having Jones and Ripley to throw to doesn't help as much when your QB's arm can't get them the ball downfield in stride, consistently.

If that is how you view Trask, then you don't want to draft him because that puts his floor too low. BUT if the Steelers are still going to run a lot of that throw short/run long offense, he may be perfect for that because he reads defenses and processes faster and better than MR.

There is a system in which Trask can succeed, I don't doubt that. Is it the Steelers offense? I just don't know what a Canada ran offense looks like to answer that. It could be the perfect offense for MR. It may be the perfect offense for Haskins. Therein lies the inability to predict who the QB will be next year. Kind of a fun mystery to watch play out for me actually. I'm enjoying it.
    It is fun to think about.

I truly believe the "throw short run long" offense was desperation move based on Ben R not being capable of doing much else last season. Others say it was the O-line's fault. Still others say it was choice by Fichtner. I guess we are about to find out.

I get that a big arm is not enough all by itself to be a successful NFL QB. Moments ago it appears the Broncos have given up on their big armed turnover prone kinda not smart QB in favor of Bridgewater. But I just don't see Trask being successful in the NFL. He can make reads but he does not seem able to handle moving and resetting or making broken plays. That appears to be one of the biggest keys for NFL success.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’ll be disappointed if they draft Trask...or a QB. I could stomach a mid round Mond pick. Anything else, I look at as a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’ll be disappointed if they draft Trask...or a QB. I could stomach a mid round Mond pick. Anything else, I look at as a waste.
    No drafted QB would be expected to play in 2021 anyway.

The Future QB of the Steelers is...still very much unknown.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    WHAT? No Slippery Rock QB Roland Rivers???????