Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Ben is scheduled to receive $22 million no matter what.

The "vet minimum" is $1.3 million.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Ben played this season for $23.3 million. Brady played last season for $25 million... and that extra $17.7 million sure could come in handy when to re-signing Sutton, Hilton, and JuJu (plus, extending Watt).

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ben is scheduled to receive $22 million no matter what.

The "vet minimum" is $1.3 million.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Ben played this season for $23.3 million. Brady played last season for $25 million... and that extra $17.7 million sure could come in handy when to re-signing Sutton, Hilton, and JuJu (plus, extending Watt).
    This is what needs to happen, all my arguments for Ben playing is assuming this will be his cost to play this last season, up to $25M, anything more than that and he can just retire and we move on.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

This is about as clear as I've seen it presented.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    This is about as clear as I've seen it presented.

Very good. If you build and OL and get a good back behind it ( IF and AND ) we sure could be one of the 7 playoff teams.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Charley Casserly 2021 NFL mock draft 1.0: Justin Fields slides to Steelers

Published: Feb 25, 2021

https://www.nfl.com/news/charley-cas...es-to-steelers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I haven't really seen either Fields or Haskins. Because I don't watch OSU or WFT.

But reading some pre-draft reports on both guys....not sure if there is much of a difference between the two. Both were tagged as raw, needing to speed up their decision making, and could be rattled by a good pass rush. I mean if you have Haskins for nothing...do you really want to take the more mobile version for a big draft cost?

But maybe Fields is super duper better than I am reading about.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    This is what needs to happen, all my arguments for Ben playing is assuming this will be his cost to play this last season, up to $25M, anything more than that and he can just retire and we move on.
    Yeah, the 25 mil gives the team the best chance to win. At this stage you would think it’s about winning rather than the money (he’s got to already be worth 50 to 100 mill?). Does he really need to get more than the 25? Let’s see if Ben is thinking along these lines.... or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Yeah, the 25 mil gives the team the best chance to win. At this stage you would think it’s about winning rather than the money (he’s got to already be worth 50 to 100 mill?). Does he really need to get more than the 25? Let’s see if Ben is thinking along these lines.... or not.
    The sooner the better! Decide already Steelers/Ben.

The Future QB of the Steelers is...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I haven't really seen either Fields or Haskins. Because I don't watch OSU or WFT.

But reading some pre-draft reports on both guys....not sure if there is much of a difference between the two. Both were tagged as raw, needing to speed up their decision making, and could be rattled by a good pass rush. I mean if you have Haskins for nothing...do you really want to take the more mobile version for a big draft cost?

At this point (assuming Ben is playing) I suppose I would not draft a QB and see what Haskins can do sitting behind Ben for a year and filling in in spot duty. Maybe a year being out of the spotlight and maturing will do him enough good for him to live up to his ability. And if not, nothing lost and we draft/trade for a QB after next season with nothing lost.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Haskins is more of a pure pocket passer. He has some athleticism, but he predominantly throws from the pocket. He has a very good arm, and he is accurate with the football. He didn't have a lot of starts at the college level, so there wasn't as much tape on him to see how he would have adapted as teams had more to prepare for. He has real arm talent and ability, but needs to harness all of that to show he is capable of being a signal caller at the NFL level. He failed his test in Washington, but he will have another opportunity to show he is willing to do what it takes to reach his potential with the Steelers. So far, it doesn't look like his heart is in it. If that's the case, he will never play QB at a high level. If he puts in the work, he has a chance to be something.

Fields is a much better athlete than Haskins. He has great size and a strong arm, but can also really move. Some people use the Cam Newton comparison, but Newton was a slightly bigger, more powerful athlete than Fields. However, Fields is a very accurate passer and much more accurate than Newton. Fields played multiple seasons, and his physical tools are on display and undeniable.

Fields tends to hold onto the ball a long time. The concerns with him are that it's unclear whether he holds the ball because he doesn't read defenses well, or that he knows all his progressions, and holds the ball to look for the big play. At the NFL level, he needs to do everything a little faster. He needs to anticipate throws a little more. Can he read defenses and process information quickly? I don't know. Teams are going to learn a lot about him in interviews.

If he shows that he can make all the reads pre-snap and can process information quickly to get the football to the right spot with anticipation, he has a chance to be the best QB in this draft IMO. I know that those are big questions that need to be answered, but this guy has tons of ability. He has everything you want in a QB in today's NFL from an arm talent/athleticism standpoint.

He's not a slam dunk by any means. He is the guy with all the physical tools that has some questions about him, but if he is able to check some of those boxes, he will be a big-time QB and make a franchise very happy for a long time.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Haskins is more of a pure pocket passer. He has some athleticism, but he predominantly throws from the pocket. He has a very good arm, and he is accurate with the football. He didn't have a lot of starts at the college level, so there wasn't as much tape on him to see how he would have adapted as teams had more to prepare for. He has real arm talent and ability, but needs to harness all of that to show he is capable of being a signal caller at the NFL level. He failed his test in Washington, but he will have another opportunity to show he is willing to do what it takes to reach his potential with the Steelers. So far, it doesn't look like his heart is in it. If that's the case, he will never play QB at a high level. If he puts in the work, he has a chance to be something.

Fields is a much better athlete than Haskins. He has great size and a strong arm, but can also really move. Some people use the Cam Newton comparison, but Newton was a slightly bigger, more powerful athlete than Fields. However, Fields is a very accurate passer and much more accurate than Newton. Fields played multiple seasons, and his physical tools are on display and undeniable.

Fields tends to hold onto the ball a long time. The concerns with him are that it's unclear whether he holds the ball because he doesn't read defenses well, or that he knows all his progressions, and holds the ball to look for the big play. At the NFL level, he needs to do everything a little faster. He needs to anticipate throws a little more. Can he read defenses and process information quickly? I don't know. Teams are going to learn a lot about him in interviews.

If he shows that he can make all the reads pre-snap and can process information quickly to get the football to the right spot with anticipation, he has a chance to be the best QB in this draft IMO. I know that those are big questions that need to be answered, but this guy has tons of ability. He has everything you want in a QB in today's NFL from an arm talent/athleticism standpoint.

He's not a slam dunk by any means. He is the guy with all the physical tools that has some questions about him, but if he is able to check some of those boxes, he will be a big-time QB and make a franchise very happy for a long time.
    Fair enough. I just don't see that big of a difference between the two from what I have read and some short clips. To be fair, it is likely my OSU bias coming out. I always figure every player from OSU is more than a bit over-rated. They get to spend a decent chunk of their time as Buckeye's beating up on the weak sisters of the Big 10 and playing some over-matched non-conference opponents. Then they get beat by some SEC in a bowl game. Then they get drafted and do "okay". I realize that is nto the case for every player to come out of their program, but it seems to be the trend...I just have a hard time buying into OSU offensive players in particular.

I also realize that one has to only look at the Steelers and Heyward and Shazier to see that what I typed is an exaggerated stereo-type on my part.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Fair enough. I just don't see that big of a difference between the two from what I have read and some short clips. To be fair, it is likely my OSU bias coming out. I always figure every player from OSU is more than a bit over-rated. They get to spend a decent chunk of their time as Buckeye's beating up on the weak sisters of the Big 10 and playing some over-matched non-conference opponents. Then they get beat by some SEC in a bowl game. Then they get drafted and do "okay". I realize that is nto the case for every player to come out of their program, but it seems to be the trend...I just have a hard time buying into OSU offensive players in particular.

I also realize that one has to only look at the Steelers and Heyward and Shazier to see that what I typed is an exaggerated stereo-type on my part.

Zeke Elliot, Michael Thomas, Corey Linsley, and Taylor Decker agree on your last point.

They don't do as well on the offensive side of the ball, but you can put together an NFL All-Star team of their defensive players.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Kinkhabwala Joins Others In Thinking Ben Roethlisberger Could Play Beyond 2021

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/ki...y-beyond-2021/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Kinkhabwala Joins Others In Thinking Ben Roethlisberger Could Play Beyond 2021

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/ki...y-beyond-2021/
    If he leads us to a super bowl win he can do whatever he wants for as long as he wants!!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If he leads us to a super bowl win he can do whatever he wants for as long as he wants!!
    But we need a better running game.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    But we need a better running game.
    Feel like we need Jim Mora in here... "Playoffs?! Playoffs?!"

You are... actually... talking about Super Bowls.

The closest the Steelers have gotten is being down 27 with 4 minutes to play in 2016 AFCCG.

1 playoff win + 10 years = Super Bowl?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post

The closest the Steelers have gotten is being down 27 with 4 minutes to play in 2016 AFCCG.

I doubt any of us would’ve known that without your post.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So bottom line:

Ample cap space, endless opportunities...what roster are you building that you are guaranteeing wins a Super Bowl? Feel free to include your offensive and defensive schemes as well...run/pass ratio, defensive line ups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

it's 3 playoff wins, not 1.

and don't give me your Bell bs.

if we're going in that direction, the Steelers have 0 playoff wins when there's a blue moon over Antarctica occurring while my aunt Irene is eating a bowl of Cocoa Puffs.

it's 3 playoff wins, not 1.

and don't give me your Bell bs.

if we're going in that direction, the Steelers have 0 playoff wins when there's a blue moon over Antarctica occurring while my aunt Irene is eating a bowl of Cocoa Puffs.
    Tell you're aunt to lay off the damn cocoa puffs.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This same 'argument' is going on in 3 threads.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

First, Deshaun wanted out of Houston.

Now, Russell wants out of Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    First, Deshaun wanted out of Houston.

Now, Russell wants out of Seattle.
    both because their input wasn't taken.

In Pete Carroll’s defense, Russ did change the playcall (in Super Bowl XLIX) from a run by Beast Mode to that pass (that was intercepted). Sooo...

... Ben Roethlisburger

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The funny thing about Wilson is he’s complaining about the Seahawks O-Line but then he lists the Cowboys (injury riddled), the Bears (bad). the Raiders (bad), Saints (decent) as teams he wants to play with? None of which have an overly impressive O-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

turned 39 today.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Tom is that you ?

its ok to admit it ....

the first step in recovery is admittance

- - - Updated - - -

Paid players , wanting an executive/ownership voice ....

some will never understand pay grade and job descriptions ... but in todays world where "I'm wright regardless" seems to be the prevailing logic ..... I digress maybe the paid employees should make the decisions ( I jest )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Will Steelers take a quarterback in round one?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-in-round-one/