Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Congress at work

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Your Congress at work

Source: https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...id-relief-bill

The $900 billion stimulus package COVID-19 "relief" bill is exactly what one would expect from a dysfunctional, tone-deaf Congress: a pork-filled cluster filled with anything and everything that has nothing to do with the coronavirus pandemic or relief.

And in the swampiest thing ever, the bill, which is combined with a $1.4 trillion omnibus spending bill, is 5,593 pages long, or 5,583 pages too many, was given to lawmakers six hours before a vote to review what exactly is in it (hint: more pork than a Tyson Foods plant).

It harkens back to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) once explaining that a bill needed to be passed in order to find out what was in it. In a related story, our government is broken.

The top-line from the bill says a mere $600 per adult and $600 per child goes to those eligible, which is half of what adults received in another relief package passed earlier this year (the per-child payment was $500). Not hard to see that this amount is hardly enough to keep those struggling from staying out of poverty. Oh and if you're an illegal alien living in the country, Congress is giving you more money then an American citizen. Let that sink in.

So where is the rest of the $1.4 trillion going?

Glad you asked.

Exhibit A: "Of the funds appropriated under title III of the Act that are made available for assistance for Pakistan, not less than $15,000,000 shall be made available for democracy programs and not less than $10,000,000 shall be made available for gender programs." Yep. $10 million. For gender programs. In Pakistan.

Exhibit B: Funds for "Resource Study of Springfield (Illinois) Race Riot." That riot occurred in (checks notes) 1908.

Exhibit C: "Statement Of Policy Regarding The Succession or Reincarnation Of The Dalai Lama." We'll just leave that one there.

Exhibit D: There's actually a commission tasked with educating “consumers about the dangers associated with using or storing portable fuel containers for flammable liquids near an open flame."

Exhibit E: Another $40 million will be allocated "for the necessary expenses for the operation, maintenance and security" of The Kennedy Center, which received $25 million in another COVID-19 relief bill earlier this year. Also in a related story, the Kennedy Center has been closed.

Exhibits F, G, H, I, J: $86 million for assistance to Cambodia; $130 million to Nepal, $135 million to Burma, $453 million to Ukraine, $700 million to Sudan.

Exhibit K: The bill creates a Women's History Museum and an American Latino Museum as part of the Smithsonian. Overall, the Smithsonian gets (checks notes again) $1 billion.

You get the idea. It's the oldest trick in Washington: Take a bill that symbolically is overwhelmingly supported by the American people on its title alone (COVID-19 relief for those struggling due to the pandemic). Then attach every pet project possible, in this case by combining it with an omnibus spending bill, and away we go.

Then there's the gall of Pelosi, who politicized this process in stalling negotiations since the summer with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin until after the election to ensure her party’s presidential nominee got past the finish line.

“That is a total game-changer — a new president and a vaccine,” she said. “We have a new president — a president who recognizes that we need to depend on science to stop the virus.”

The kind of science that creates (checks notes once again) multiple vaccines in record time as was done under President Trump's Operation Warp Speed?

"Congressional Democrats have reached an agreement with Republicans and the White House on an emergency coronavirus relief and omnibus package that delivers urgently needed funds to save the lives and livelihoods of the American people," Pelosi wrote on Twitter on Sunday.

Again, using words like "emergency" and "urgently needed funds" that have been an emergency for many and urgently needed for months are the highest levels of insult.

Party power is always the goal with Pelosi. It may explain why her approval rating currently sits at 33 percent while Congress’s sits at 21 percent.

Anyone having buyer's remorse voting for Joe? Now do you see why people in BOTH parties wanted Trump gone? He was interrupting their enrichment plans.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Your Congress at work

Happy Biden voters? This is what YOU ALL voted for. The establishment enriching themselves and their buddies at the expense of the American people. I'm sure you all will be happy though when CNN and whatever unfunny late night talk show host you watch tells you it's good for you, or you'll blame Trump when they tell you Trump prevented you from getting more

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Don't forget it also tackles tough issues such as imposing criminal penalties for streaming reaction videos to, or making memes of, copyrighted material. Can't have economic relief without a little censorship thrown in.

Oh, and what else is hiding in there? Removing the President's ability to invoke the Insurrection Act. What an oddly specific thing to include in a stimulus bill! But I'm sure that's just a coincidence, it's all for the good of the proles-- er, people. Nothing to see, just shut up.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

This is just criminal. I'm one of the people that really needs the extra $300.00 a week in unemployment. I'll take what they give in a one time check, but I'm more in need of the weekly help. I just got my last state unemployment check this week. I hope I can get an extension.

I really need this stimulus money, but I hope Trump vetos it. It's ridiculous that this kind of shit is allowed to happen. Just help those of us in this country with a clean bill that is only about CV19 relief, nothing else. This just shows how much the people in this country don't matter at all.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    This is just criminal. I'm one of the people that really needs the extra $300.00 a week in unemployment. I'll take what they give in a one time check, but I'm more in need of the weekly help. I just got my last state unemployment check this week. I hope I can get an extension.

I really need this stimulus money, but I hope Trump vetos it. It's ridiculous that this kind of shit is allowed to happen. Just help those of us in this country with a clean bill that is only about CV19 relief, nothing else. This just shows how much the people in this country don't matter at all.
    I hope they can get you the $2,000 that is being discussed. Best wishes to you and your family. Stay positive, stay on the grind and good things will happen.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Warning: YouTube cartoon..... but on the money!

https://youtu.be/EMOZmRQKpWs

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

your President says NO to this Joke package offered up by congress

https://rumble.com/vc3zhn-president-...p&mc=56yab
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Source: https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...id-relief-bill

The $900 billion stimulus package COVID-19 "relief" bill is exactly what one would expect from a dysfunctional, tone-deaf Congress: a pork-filled cluster filled with anything and everything that has nothing to do with the coronavirus pandemic or relief.

And in the swampiest thing ever, the bill, which is combined with a $1.4 trillion omnibus spending bill, is 5,593 pages long, or 5,583 pages too many, was given to lawmakers six hours before a vote to review what exactly is in it (hint: more pork than a Tyson Foods plant).

It harkens back to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) once explaining that a bill needed to be passed in order to find out what was in it. In a related story, our government is broken.

The top-line from the bill says a mere $600 per adult and $600 per child goes to those eligible, which is half of what adults received in another relief package passed earlier this year (the per-child payment was $500). Not hard to see that this amount is hardly enough to keep those struggling from staying out of poverty. Oh and if you're an illegal alien living in the country, Congress is giving you more money then an American citizen. Let that sink in.

So where is the rest of the $1.4 trillion going?

Glad you asked.

Exhibit A: "Of the funds appropriated under title III of the Act that are made available for assistance for Pakistan, not less than $15,000,000 shall be made available for democracy programs and not less than $10,000,000 shall be made available for gender programs." Yep. $10 million. For gender programs. In Pakistan.

Exhibit B: Funds for "Resource Study of Springfield (Illinois) Race Riot." That riot occurred in (checks notes) 1908.

Exhibit C: "Statement Of Policy Regarding The Succession or Reincarnation Of The Dalai Lama." We'll just leave that one there.

Exhibit D: There's actually a commission tasked with educating “consumers about the dangers associated with using or storing portable fuel containers for flammable liquids near an open flame."

Exhibit E: Another $40 million will be allocated "for the necessary expenses for the operation, maintenance and security" of The Kennedy Center, which received $25 million in another COVID-19 relief bill earlier this year. Also in a related story, the Kennedy Center has been closed.

Exhibits F, G, H, I, J: $86 million for assistance to Cambodia; $130 million to Nepal, $135 million to Burma, $453 million to Ukraine, $700 million to Sudan.

Exhibit K: The bill creates a Women's History Museum and an American Latino Museum as part of the Smithsonian. Overall, the Smithsonian gets (checks notes again) $1 billion.

You get the idea. It's the oldest trick in Washington: Take a bill that symbolically is overwhelmingly supported by the American people on its title alone (COVID-19 relief for those struggling due to the pandemic). Then attach every pet project possible, in this case by combining it with an omnibus spending bill, and away we go.

Then there's the gall of Pelosi, who politicized this process in stalling negotiations since the summer with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin until after the election to ensure her party’s presidential nominee got past the finish line.

“That is a total game-changer — a new president and a vaccine,” she said. “We have a new president — a president who recognizes that we need to depend on science to stop the virus.”

The kind of science that creates (checks notes once again) multiple vaccines in record time as was done under President Trump's Operation Warp Speed?

"Congressional Democrats have reached an agreement with Republicans and the White House on an emergency coronavirus relief and omnibus package that delivers urgently needed funds to save the lives and livelihoods of the American people," Pelosi wrote on Twitter on Sunday.

Again, using words like "emergency" and "urgently needed funds" that have been an emergency for many and urgently needed for months are the highest levels of insult.

Party power is always the goal with Pelosi. It may explain why her approval rating currently sits at 33 percent while Congress’s sits at 21 percent.

Anyone having buyer's remorse voting for Joe? Now do you see why people in BOTH parties wanted Trump gone? He was interrupting their enrichment plans.
    Why the Sudan?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    your President says NO to this Joke package offered up by congress

https://rumble.com/vc3zhn-president-...22lbp&mc=56yab
    The Establishment from both parties doesn't have to worry though. After Trump has been pushed out, they can go back to working together towards screwing the American people again. All while Sleepy Joe sits in the basement watching Cuties and touching his dog all day

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Imagine the audacity of the moron, he wants citizens to receive 2grand opposed to 600. How dare the moron question billions going to foreign counties including pakistan for gender programs. Some are so blinded by hatred for the man they can’t see this package is political bullshit. Fuck those countries, let the friggin chinese fund that crap.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Why the Sudan?!
    Why do you think? Aid money goes to places like that to disappear. Odds are it will be "distributed" by foundations run by friends and family of the politically connected, and a lot of the money will find its way back to them. Same thing with much of the domestic pork barrel projects, only there it disappears into "consulting fees."

Basically, this was an attempted looting of the public treasury on a scale never before seen. They thought they could ram it through a little early thanks to Lockdown Mania Round 2. But if the fake election stands and the Democrats take power, get used to it, this will be standard operating procedure.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Basically, this was an attempted looting of the public treasury on a scale never before seen.
    Doing your best Trump imitation?

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Whatever it's going to be, $600 or $2000, just get it done.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The liberal mind at work. It's just amazing. There are two genders. There is no need to waste money on making up other genders to feed into the liberal lunacy.

The US should not be sending money to any country. Also, kicking out every illegal alien should be the priority.
    Hater = Realist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

I'm done arguing with anyone over the election, CV19, Stimulus money.... any of it.

I've tried for 3 hours this morning to figure out how to even apply for the federal CV19 unemployment. Might as well piss up a rope. You have to apply with your state first... good luck figuring out how to do that. The state tells you to click the link on the home site for the 20 week extension, but... there is no link to click. I tried to call the number they give to talk to someone.............. who can wait on the phone for half the day? This is all such a bunch of shit.

I knew the day would come that I would be dead in the water. That day is now. None of these POS politicians give two fucks about any of us. It's all about who has the bigger dick with them. As long their side wins.... to hell with the country and those of us that need help.

I sure as hell didn't quit my job of 28 years. They took my job away from me. I don't/didn't want to live free and clear off the government.... I did a a hell of lot better when I was working than I do/did with the state's paltry sum of money. I'm still out of work through no fault of my own, but, Ohio and DeWine just say FUCK YOU... DIE.

The cure is working just fine................ if you're in on the scam (politicians), independently wealthy, or you're retired and have no worries. The rest of us can just fuck off.

Sorry for the content and language... I just needed to rant.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

i thought getting a check from the government is socialism? now that Trump says we need it, all of a sudden it's not?

This is why I like Yang's idea of a UBI. Trash all the government programs that waste money and just put it in the peoples' hands. Most people know what's best to do with their own money, and for the ones that don't, well, they should have the freedom to make stupid decisions if they wanna. Of course he was blackballed by the DNC probably cause he makes too much sense lol.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    i thought getting a check from the government is socialism? now that Trump says we need it, all of a sudden it's not?
    We all know you hate Trump and will give him credit for nothing, but pretty hollow argument criticizing him for actually wanting citizens to benefit more than pakistanís, or sudanis. A stimulus check for 2000 bucks far from socialism. Trump was spot on, 600 ridiculous, as well as the pork. Even libtards with TDS should be able to see that.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    We all know you hate Trump and will give him credit for nothing, but pretty hollow argument criticizing him for actually wanting citizens to benefit more than pakistanís, or sudanis. A stimulus check for 2000 bucks far from socialism. Trump was spot on, 600 ridiculous, as well as the pork. Even libtards with TDS should be able to see that.
    I actually give him a lot of credit for pushing for 2000, and was surprised when he was pushing for it. I'm not against government assistance especially in tough times like now.

I'm equally as surprised that Republicans seem to be all of a sudden supportive of the idea of getting money from the government, I would have thought they'd scream socialism. Anyway that's my thoughts on it.

As far as the foreign aid money, eh. That's why I always voted for a 3rd party, you're going to see bullshit like this from both sides. It's never going to be fixed until the duopoly is broken, but will continue as long as voters are indoctrinated in that 'a vote for a 3rd party is a vote thrown away' mentality. I say that's bullshit, a vote for what you don't believe in is a vote that's truly thrown away.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

This is why I like Yang's idea of a UBI. Trash all the government programs that waste money and just put it in the peoples' hands. Most people know what's best to do with their own money, and for the ones that don't, well, they should have the freedom to make stupid decisions if they wanna. Of course he was blackballed by the DNC probably cause he makes too much sense lol.
    The issue is that from what I have read of Universal Basic Income, is that it has been tried as pilot projects in several countries like Australia, Germany, Canada...and never found to be something that was sustainable.

Hopefully this relief funding gets out to those who need it. Some countries have already handed out funding to help their citizens and are in the process of getting some of it back for those that didnt qualify. Took long enough to happen.

I actually give him a lot of credit for pushing for 2000, and was surprised when he was pushing for it. I'm not against government assistance especially in tough times like now.

I'm equally as surprised that Republicans seem to be all of a sudden supportive of the idea of getting money from the government, I would have thought they'd scream socialism. Anyway that's my thoughts on it.

As far as the foreign aid money, eh. That's why I always voted for a 3rd party, you're going to see bullshit like this from both sides. It's never going to be fixed until the duopoly is broken, but will continue as long as voters are indoctrinated in that 'a vote for a 3rd party is a vote thrown away' mentality. I say that's bullshit, a vote for what you don't believe in is a vote that's truly thrown away.
    I have no problem with people getting assistance from government during tough times. My gripe is people living whole life off government , or immigrants legal or illegal being given medi cal and using Emergency room as their primary physician and not paying a dime. The area I worked had a large Russian population, they would call 911 and take a thousand dollar ambulance ride to ER for flu symptoms or a stomach ache. There’s another side of immigration such as that and prison populations and costs that are never discussed. Getting off in tangent but bottom line welfare programs are needed , the problem is they get exploited. Just like unemployment benefits during covid. Prisoners in California received billions in fraudulent claims. That money is long gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I have no problem with people getting assistance from government during tough times. My gripe is people living whole life off government , or immigrants legal or illegal being given medi cal and using Emergency room as their primary physician and not paying a dime. The area I worked had a large Russian population, they would call 911 and take a thousand dollar ambulance ride to ER for flu symptoms or a stomach ache. There’s another side of immigration such as that and prison populations and costs that are never discussed. Getting off in tangent but bottom line welfare programs are needed , the problem is they get exploited. Just like unemployment benefits during covid. Prisoners in California received billions in fraudulent claims. That money is long gone now.
    I can agree that if people are living off the government (not just getting help), and cheating the system, I have problems with too. Though how to actually fix the exploitation is another problem that I don't think there's an easy silver bullet solution to it. As long as there are people, there's always going to be those types that try to game the system unfortunately.

I for one am not in favor of the stimulus payments. The government taking away your income and then replacing a small portion of that with money taken out of your own pocket is not a valid state of affairs.

The correct response is not a cash payment, but removing the restrictions that destroyed people's lives in the first place. Should be easy, since most of the restrictions were illegal in the first place. Not only is the dollar amount of the assistance greater, but it is indefinitely sustainable.

As usual, the strategy "do the opposite of whatever the Democrats want" is the one that with the clear path to success - but God damn, will they fight tooth and nail to make sure everyone stays miserable. What terrible, despicable people.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I for one am not in favor of the stimulus payments. The government taking away your income and then replacing a small portion of that with money taken out of your own pocket is not a valid state of affairs.

The correct response is not a cash payment, but removing the restrictions that destroyed people's lives in the first place. Should be easy, since most of the restrictions were illegal in the first place. Not only is the dollar amount of the assistance greater, but it is indefinitely sustainable.

As usual, the strategy "do the opposite of whatever the Democrats want" is the one that with the clear path to success - but God damn, will they fight tooth and nail to make sure everyone stays miserable. What terrible, despicable people.
    sounds like blind faith to me, which is pretty dangerous thinking

That's because the democratic party hates the American people, especially the wicked bitch of the west antsy piglosi. That piece of trash doesn't want anything to do with anything that doesn't involve hurting the American people.

sounds like blind faith to me, which is pretty dangerous thinking
    On the contrary, it's based on observed results from the recent past. After all, the Democrats are the ones who manufactured this problem, as well as every other "crisis" of 2020. Why would anyone look to the people who deliberately put them through hell, to suddenly turn around and help them and have all the answers? I sure wouldn't. Those people hate me.

Fun fact: They hate you too, but you haven't figured that out yet. Talk about blind faith.
    See you Space Cowboy ...