Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three aces, there are some good backs coming out in 2021

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Three aces, there are some good backs coming out in 2021

Clemson's Etienne
    Alabama's Harris
    North Carolina's Williams.

All three would be an upgrade from the mediocre James Conner. My guess is all three will be off the board by pick #55, which means would could probably get one on round two, or spend our first round pick on the 1st or 2nd best prospect.

Let James Conner walk, take the 2021 comp pick.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Three aces, there are some good backs coming out in 2021

Still doesn’t help the fact that the o-line isn’t blocking well. I’d rather have a higher rated lineman at the 32 spot than a RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

O-line and QB need to take priority over a RB. Without quality at either position, a RB is as useless as a butthole on an elbow

I think Conner doesn't fit the modern NFL and is average as a runner. He's limited and can't run wide + he gets dinged up too easily. And he's our best back. Ugh.

Disagree, if we have a much better back with speed, things would change. I do agree that we need to fraud at least two OL with our first four picks.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Najee is going to be a game breaker. The other two are very good. But, as others have already stated: it all starts with the O-line. I’d draft Freiermuth in R1 and then two O-linemen in R2 & R3... followed by a RB.

Trey Sermon (Buckeyes) just went from a late Day 2 pick to an early Day 2 pick. I was hoping to get him with our comp pick.

Michael Carter (Tarheels) seems to not get nearly as much love as Javonte Carter. I’d take him with our comp pick.

SUMMATION:
    Our comp pick in R3 is about the right spot to upgrade our RB position.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Najee is going to be a game breaker. The other two are very good. But, as others have already stated: it all starts with the O-line. I’d draft Freiermuth in R1 and then two O-linemen in R2 & R3... followed by a RB.

Trey Sermon (Buckeyes) just went from a late Day 2 pick to an early Day 2 pick. I was hoping to get him with our comp pick.

Michael Carter (Tarheels) seems to not get nearly as much love as Javonte Carter. I’d take him with our comp pick.

SUMMATION:
    Like you said Najee is going to be a game breaker. If he's on the board, take him in round one. We can find a new guard or center in rounds 2-4. This is a good class for RB.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I keep coming across this idea that the Steelers should draft a RB in the first round and if they get a top flight RB, the offense will be fine. This is 20th century thinking (likely spawned by memories of Franco and the Bus) being applied to the 2021 offseason. As I said before, no solid run-blocking from the o-line and no QB, your RB becomes useless, hell even back when the running game was king, you still needed an o-line in front to help with run-blocking.

Another thing to consider is RBs can be had after the first round. All the time effective RBs are drafted outside round 1. And if this is indeed a good class for RB, then the Steelers should have no problem finding a high quality RB in round 3 or later.

Rule of thumb is you don't draft a RB in round 1, it's a misappropriation of resources

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Im watching BYU game in a couple of minutes just to check Zach Wilson out. Not slated to go til 3rd round possibly second. Haven’t seen anything but highlights. I agree about RB in round 1 seems like a waste.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Walterfootball now says 1-2 round, stock going up.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Im watching BYU game in a couple of minutes just to check Zach Wilson out. Not slated to go til 3rd round possibly second. Haven’t seen anything but highlights. I agree about RB in round 1 seems like a waste.
    He’s going Top 10... maybe even as high as #2 overall.

He’s going Top 10... maybe even as high as #2 overall.
    Initially I was reading an older draft profile. Im thinking now first round. The so called experts still have him as the 3rd or 4 th qb to go though. A good bowl game could change things though.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Initially I was reading an older draft profile. Im thinking now first round. The so called experts still have him as the 3rd or 4 th qb to go though. A good bowl game could change things though.
    I have found that the website guys are about three months behind the Twitter guys. Riddick and Jeremiah have Wilson rated much, much higher than that. Most of the experts are currently discussing whether Justin Fields or Zack Wilson is the QB2 (second-highest-rated quarterback) for this draft.

Even as the QB3, Wilson will likely go in the Top Ten.

I have found that the website guys are about three months behind the Twitter guys. Riddick and Jeremiah have Wilson rated much, much higher than that. Most of the experts are currently discussing whether Justin Fields or Zack Wilson is the QB2 (second-highest-rated quarterback) for this draft.

Even as the QB3, Wilson will likely go in the Top Ten.
    After seeing both I can tell you that Wilson has better QB's skills. OSU has a long list of disappointing pro's as their Qb's rely heavily on the playmakers. Either way we won't sniff either.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    After seeing both I can tell you that Wilson has better QB's skills. OSU has a long list of disappointing pro's as their Qb's rely heavily on the playmakers. Either way we won't sniff either.
    Fields becomes terrible when there is pressure. He won’t last in the NFL being scared.

Wilson is my clear-cut QB2.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Clemson's Etienne
    Alabama's Harris
    North Carolina's Williams.

All three would be an upgrade from the mediocre James Conner. My guess is all three will be off the board by pick #55, which means would could probably get one on round two, or spend our first round pick on the 1st or 2nd best prospect.

Let James Conner walk, take the 2021 comp pick.
    DO NOT sleep on Kenneth Gainwell. Opted out of 2020 due to losing 4 family members to Covid. Have to look at his 2019 tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg97ts8r1ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip28hZyMbaA

BTW...#94 is JoJo Dorceus. a 277LB DE(39 games, 111 tackles, 26.5 TFL and 12 sacks), that also plays FB and ST. Walk-on from Spring, TX. Steelers have a JuJu and a RayRay, could use a JoJo for the trifecta.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    DO NOT sleep on Kenneth Gainwell. Opted out of 2020 due to losing 4 family members to Covid. Have to look at his 2019 tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg97ts8r1ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip28hZyMbaA

BTW...#94 is JoJo Dorceus. a 277LB DE(39 games, 111 tackles, 26.5 TFL and 12 sacks), that also plays FB and ST. Walk-on from Spring, TX. Steelers have a JuJu and a RayRay, could use a JoJo for the trifecta.
    I'll check him out! I hope to NOT be one this thread late Sunday night. Not fully into the draft yet as we are in the playoffs. Due to our blocking, I feel we need a back that can hit the hole quickly and has some speed to him.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

If Harris is there in the first, you grab him and fortify your line thereafter.

Can’t go wrong selecting a RB named Harris in the first round.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think there is a very good chance Conner is back as the leader of the RB room next season. But here are my favorites to be targeted by the Steelers(if they draft a RB) based on checking boxes for how they evaluate RBs.

1. Najee Harris, 6'2"-230. A HUGE RB that can run the power play on short yardage/goal-line, finesse through the line, be a primary receiver in the passing game, and is reliable in pass protection.

2. Javonte Williams, 5'10"-220. A 'Beast Mode' style RB that can power through first contact and also has the speed and agility to succeed against 2nd level defenders.

3. Master teague, 5'11"-225. Lev Bell type 'patient through the hole' RB. Great combination of speed and power.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think there is a very good chance Conner is back as the leader of the RB room next season. But here are my favorites to be targeted by the Steelers(if they draft a RB) based on checking boxes for how they evaluate RBs.

1. Najee Harris, 6'2"-230. A HUGE RB that can run the power play on short yardage/goal-line, finesse through the line, be a primary receiver in the passing game, and is reliable in pass protection.

2. Javonte Williams, 5'10"-220. A 'Beast Mode' style RB that can power through first contact and also has the speed and agility to succeed against 2nd level defenders.

3. Master teague, 5'11"-225. Lev Bell type 'patient through the hole' RB. Great combination of speed and power.
    If Ben does return and there is no O-Lineman available (that isn’t a reach), I would love Harris. Basically BPA approach is what I’m good with. Just don’t want to see another Artie Burns Panic Move.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

SUMMATION:

Everybody talks about Williams of the tarheels but I am not even sure he is the best RB on his own team , I too really like Michael Carter... all he did was average 8ypc and score 9 times this year in part time duty ... love the low miles too got it enough to show he has IT but not enough to deflate the tires....

he has that Aaron Jones feel about him and y'all know how I felt about Jones pre draft

Last edited by Dwinsgames; 01-24-2021 at 09:55 AM.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Michael Carter = Jerome Bettis

(Javante Williams = Ricky Watters)

Michael Carter = Jerome Bettis

(Javante Williams = Ricky Watters)
    For Who? For What?

I like the thought of Master Teague in the mid rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    For Who? For What?
    It’s an analogy. In college, Watters and Williams were/are the quicker, more appealing RBs. But, in the pros, Bettis faired extremely well (despite being larger than most RBs)... and I see Carter having similar success.

It’s an analogy. In college, Watters and Williams were/are the quicker, more appealing RBs. But, in the pros, Bettis faired extremely well (despite being larger than most RBs)... and I see Carter having similar success.
    No. No. No.

Remember Ricky Watters? Alligator arms? “For Who? For What?”

There’s the video on YouTube...I think.

No. No. No.

Remember Ricky Watters? Alligator arms? “For Who? For What?”
    Oh right!!! Now I feel dumb. LOL

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Two teams showed the most interest in speaking with Najee Harris today at Senior Bowl. Dolphins and Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Two teams showed the most interest in speaking with Najee Harris today at Senior Bowl. Dolphins and Steelers.
    Does the age of Harris concern you?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Does the age of Harris concern you?
    Like I said to another poster. Do the Steelers really like paying a 2nd contract to a top tier RB?? Not with Bell, even a guy like Conner may not get a 2nd contract. So it really doesnt matter if Harris is 23 years old, because he would only be a Steeler for 4 or 5 seasons anyways.

So, my answer is no, I could care less about his age. The guy is possibly the #1 RB in the draft and he put the pads on this week at the Senior Bowl because he wanted to compete. Great attitude, great athlete, great RB. IMO, the Dolphins will draft him ahead of the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Like I said to another poster. Do the Steelers really like paying a 2nd contract to a top tier RB?? Not with Bell, even a guy like Conner may not get a 2nd contract. So it really doesnt matter if Harris is 23 years old, because he would only be a Steeler for 4 or 5 seasons anyways.

So, my answer is no, I could care less about his age. The guy is possibly the #1 RB in the draft and he put the pads on this week at the Senior Bowl because he wanted to compete. Great attitude, great athlete, great RB. IMO, the Dolphins will draft him ahead of the Steelers.
    Good logic...