Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Vaccine warning - watch

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Re: Covid-19 Vaccine warning - watch

Notice that the last two posts offer nothing but the same "foul spirit".

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Another radio host who urged listeners to boycott COVID-19 vaccines dies from COVID-19

Enyart is at least the fifth anti-vaccine talk show host to die from complications of COVID-19 in recent weeks.

Clockwise from top left: Phil Valentine, Dick Farrel, Jimmy DeYoung and Marc Bernier. (Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images; via Facebook [3])

Last month, four conservative radio talk show hosts who had promoted anti-vaccine and anti-mask views succumbed to the virus:

https://news.yahoo.com/conservative-...184420178.html

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agreed. One of my teenagers has been obviously impacted with the learning experience in highschool, but they also know a friend that had Covid bad and is a long hauler. So some online learning, wearing a mask and getting vaccinated to reduce the risk of ending up like that person isnt a big deal.
    Plus, the dirty little secret about education is that whether a young person goes to college, trade school, tech school, or straight to on the job learning; they are just going to be retaught most of high school anyways. As long as they can read, do basic math, and a bit of thinking on their own...they are going to be fine and flourish at whatever their next stop in life is.

The hand-wringing over online school is just so overblown. But...I'm going down a large rabbit hole about the entire education system/industry and that isn't fun for anyone.

Glad to hear you and yours seem to be doing okay. And FWIW, I have been working with first and second year college students for almost 2 decades now and they can readily overcome any gaps in their high school education within months of getting to another educational institution of any type.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Plus, the dirty little secret about education is that whether a young person goes to college, trade school, tech school, or straight to on the job learning; they are just going to be retaught most of high school anyways. As long as they can read, do basic math, and a bit of thinking on their own...they are going to be fine and flourish at whatever their next stop in life is.

The hand-wringing over online school is just so overblown. But...I'm going down a large rabbit hole about the entire education system/industry and that isn't fun for anyone.

Glad to hear you and yours seem to be doing okay. And FWIW, I have been working with first and second year college students for almost 2 decades now and they can readily overcome any gaps in their high school education within months of getting to another educational institution of any type.
    Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I know that one of my kids is better suited to in person learning, but adapted quite well last year and did fine, given the circumstances. I do know some kids that didnt fare as well, but one of them I know has parents that continually reinforce "this online school isnt good for them", so its a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Some folks seem to think they have the right for things to go well for them. That adapting to adversity is unfair, so they just complain about it rather than finding a way to overcome the obstacle. Because that seems to solve all problems.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I know that one of my kids is better suited to in person learning, but adapted quite well last year and did fine, given the circumstances. I do know some kids that didnt fare as well, but one of them I know has parents that continually reinforce "this online school isnt good for them", so its a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Some folks seem to think they have the right for things to go well for them. That adapting to adversity is unfair, so they just complain about it rather than finding a way to overcome the obstacle. Because that seems to solve all problems.
    Too true. Online school and all of the flaws with it, is actually far better training for what it will be like outside of school than regular school is. Regular school is far more hand-holding than you get anywhere else. I see it all the time in first and second year college students. Once they get to college, the instructors just expect students can set their own schedules, balance their workload, answer process questions about all their courses, and figure out how to navigate the bureaucracy of the University in general. Most recent high school grads almost totally lack the skill set(s) for doing this because it is simply not how high school works.

But online school...forces some of that on students. It sucks while they and parents are going through it...but in the end it will result in many gaining useful skills. It isn't like at any job a supervisor tells you a task and a deadline and then holds your hand through all the steps. That is stuff you just have to figure out all on your own...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Too true. Online school and all of the flaws with it, is actually far better training for what it will be like outside of school than regular school is. Regular school is far more hand-holding than you get anywhere else. I see it all the time in first and second year college students. Once they get to college, the instructors just expect students can set their own schedules, balance their workload, answer process questions about all their courses, and figure out how to navigate the bureaucracy of the University in general. Most recent high school grads almost totally lack the skill set(s) for doing this because it is simply not how high school works.

But online school...forces some of that on students. It sucks while they and parents are going through it...but in the end it will result in many gaining useful skills. It isn't like at any job a supervisor tells you a task and a deadline and then holds your hand through all the steps. That is stuff you just have to figure out all on your own...
    The workload in college is much more than high school also. I remember in high school I could be done with all my homework within a matter of an hour or two at the most, the rest of my time was free to do what I wanted to. In college, I remember having to constantly work toward completing assignments / projects until it was time to sleep. I basically had no social life and would go months without being able to hang out with my friends, because if you ever get behind in college, you're done.

I always laugh at all of these movies where college students are constantly partying, there was none of that during my time. Our professors would always schedule a test or project that was due the day after spring break, so even spring break wasn't a time where we could relax. We used to call it spring study hall Though I was a computer science major, so the profs probably thought we were a bunch of computer geeks with no social lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    The workload in college is much more than high school also. I remember in high school I could be done with all my homework within a matter of an hour or two at the most, the rest of my time was free to do what I wanted to. In college, I remember having to constantly work toward completing assignments / projects until it was time to sleep. I basically had no social life and would go months without being able to hang out with my friends, because if you ever get behind in college, you're done.

I always laugh at all of these movies where college students are constantly partying, there was none of that during my time. Our professors would always schedule a test or project that was due the day after spring break, so even spring break wasn't a time where we could relax. We used to call it spring study hall Though I was a computer science major, so the profs probably thought we were a bunch of computer geeks with no social lives.
    No doubt. High school is usually 9 months. 3 months to review what students should have learned before. 3 months to teach new stuff. And 3 months to combine new stuff and review the year. I realize it is a bit more complicated than that and I am grossly simplifying.

But college is a semester of new stuff. All the time. No review. No slow down. For most students that is a major adjustment. One that many are not well prepared for.

But, not being a CS major, I had a bit more time to party when I was in school

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    Notice that the last two posts offer nothing but the same "foul spirit".
    This post is so laugh out loud hilarious coming from you. That belongs on the comedy forum

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    This post is so laugh out loud hilarious coming from you. That belongs on the comedy forum
    This is the comedy forum.
    Last edited by willy; 09-15-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Mandates = good

The row over vaccine mandates

State pressure has a role in public health. Covid-19 jabs are no exception

Sep 15th 2021
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65)][/COLOR]
    By our estimates, based on excess deaths, the pandemic has claimed 860,000 lives in America. Yet measures to curb the virus by mandating vaccination, which the Biden administration announced on September 9th, are being treated by senior Republicans as a terrifying affront to liberty. “This is still America,” tweeted Tate Reeves, the governor of Mississippi, “and we still believe in freedom from tyrants.” That is fatally wrong-headed. The details of the Biden mandate could be improved on, but in democracies public health sometimes requires some coercion.

For all these reasons, your choice over vaccination is everyone’s business. It matters that only 63% of Americans over 12 have had two doses of a vaccine, compared with 76% of French and 86% of Danes. Delta’s rapid spread through the population can be slowed by vaccination, sparing hospitals from overload and protecting vulnerable vaccinated people—for instance, the residents of old-people’s homes.

Academics worry that mandates sort the hesitant from the hardliners. You get a rapid increase in vaccination, but only to a level at or below what it would anyway have reached. One reason for this is that those convinced of a government plot see coercion as proof. That is why it is wise to keep punishments light and to offer free tests as an alternative to jabs—something the Biden plan fails to provide, but should.

However, the evidence from France is more encouraging. In July, to much grumbling, the state required a vaccine passport or negative test for a range of activities, including visiting bars, restaurants, sports stadiums and shopping centres. A month later nearly 10m people had rushed to be vaccinated—and today the total is 20 percentage points higher. Our World In Data reports that the share of French who say that they definitely will not be vaccinated fell from 35% in mid-June to 23% in mid-August, the most recent data.

A survey of over 50 countries in August by Johns Hopkins, an American university, found that over half of unvaccinated respondents said they definitely or probably will not get a jab. Governments cannot rely on mandates alone to persuade them to change their mind. Instead they need to focus on their country’s particular hang-ups—Turks doubt the covid-19 vaccines will work, Czechs don’t like vaccines in general, Americans worry about side-effects. The one thing elected officials should not do is to reinforce vaccine hesitancy by falsely presenting all mandates as an attack on constitutional liberties.
    https://www.economist.com/leaders/th...dates/21804773

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Italy to require all workers to show 'green pass' certificate

The measure, due to come into force on 15 October, aims to boost vaccinations in a country that has been badly hit by the virus.

Covid: Italy to require all workers to show 'green pass' certificate

10 hours ago

Italy is to make it compulsory for all workers to have a Covid "green pass" - proof of vaccination, a negative test or recovery from the virus.

The measures are a first for Europe and some of the strictest in the world.

Anyone without a pass will reportedly face suspension from work and may have their pay stopped after five days.

The measure, due to come into force on 15 October, aims to boost vaccinations in a country that has been badly hit by the virus.

Green pass certificates for Covid-19, provided both digitally and on paper, are already required to access Italian train stations, cinemas, restaurants, gyms and swimming pools.

School staff are also required to show a pass and some teachers have reportedly been turned away from work.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58590187

So what I can tell is that people want Biden to do more to control the virus, but not get vaccinated or get tested? So...magic? What people want is magic?

Now...I get to listen to how it was never a big deal...I mean a year ago even Trump supporters were like "well...yeah we could test more....that might prevent all this illegal/useless lockdowns" or whatever the argument was. But now...somehow that is going to make George Washington and Jesus sad?

Also, you can still make a personal choice...get a shot or get tested. I spent most a a year getting tested several times a month so I could work. It took 30 minutes out of my day. Buck up buttercup.

But, MojoUW, the man on Newsmax said real Americans can resist viral infection through sheer patriotic fervor...so...just take your liberal nonsense elswhere!

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Where's the magic?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Where's the magic?

I have no idea what your stance is...but I hear a great number of right focused folks in my local area all wanting the virus to be "under control" and that "more should be done" while they blame various politicians for failing to do those things. But, they don't want vaccines, testing, masks, or distancing. If your stated goal is to control an infectious agent but you don't want to do any of the things that are available to control it...then you are asking for magic.

Or, and of course this is the actual case, what people want is to just blame politicians no matter what. Something both sides are far more adept at than actually doing something to impact the real world day to day of individuals.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Where's the magic?

LOL, the only plan Taliban Joe has for is to make everything in this country worse

I have no idea what your stance is...but I hear a great number of right focused folks in my local area all wanting the virus to be "under control" and that "more should be done" while they blame various politicians for failing to do those things. But, they don't want vaccines, testing, masks, or distancing. If your stated goal is to control an infectious agent but you don't want to do any of the things that are available to control it...then you are asking for magic.

Or, and of course this is the actual case, what people want is to just blame politicians no matter what. Something both sides are far more adept at than actually doing something to impact the real world day to day of individuals.
    Bee stings have a 99.7% survival rate, should we force every man, woman and child to wear bee suits? Unless of course if they're in congress, congressional staff or illegal aliens then they are exempt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Here's the thing. The virus is under control. It has always been under control. At its worst, it has been something like 1 out of 1,000 people getting sick every few days. You would barely even notice it if it had not been turned into a religion.

The only thing needed to "control the virus" is for media fearmongers, opportunistic politicians, and dipshits like you, to shut the fuck up and go away.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Bee stings have a 99.7% survival rate, should we force every man, woman and child to wear bee suits? Unless of course if they're in congress, congressional staff or illegal aliens then they are exempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Here's the thing. The virus is under control. It has always been under control. At its worst, it has been something like 1 out of 1,000 people getting sick every few days. You would barely even notice it if it had not been turned into a religion.

The only thing needed to "control the virus" is for media fearmongers, opportunistic politicians, and dipshits like you, to shut the fuck up and go away.
    So...to be clear...the right wing media and politicians that are criticizing Biden and various Governors for NOT having COVID under control are wrong? Lying? What?

The GOP Senators and Representatives that are critical of the Biden administration for not doing more are wrong? Lying? What?

Just can't wrap your mind around that freedom of choice thing can you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just can't wrap your mind around that freedom of choice thing can you.
    Nope. It isn't a complicated concept. I mastered it a long time ago.

Like you had a choice to answer a question or post a snarky jab. What is interesting is why you chose to be a dink rather than engage in a conversation?

I'm not interested in running around in circles with you. You don't like my opinion, guess what don't care.
    I"m also not going the drivel on and on page after page trying to shove my opinion on how I think you should live your life or make choices for you down your throat. You elected to get vaccinated good for you. Want a cookie?
    Let others have that same choice you had. Deal with your own shit and be happy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You elected to get vaccinated good for you. Want a cookie?
    Let others have that same choice you had.
    Doesn't work that way. This isn't an individual freedom of choice thing. It's a what's best for society thing just like hanging blackout curtains was during WW11. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    Doesn't work that way. This isn't an individual freedom of choice thing. It's a what's best for society thing just like hanging blackout curtains was during WW11. Get it?
    Turn back the clocks to 1942?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Turn back the clocks to 1942?

Asinine.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

So...to be clear...the right wing media and politicians that are criticizing Biden and various Governors for NOT having COVID under control are wrong? Lying? What?

The GOP Senators and Representatives that are critical of the Biden administration for not doing more are wrong? Lying? What?
    It's just politicians using the same old issue to yell at other politicians. I don't really care who's lying and who's not, it's all bullshit and those people are slime. I have no particular attachment to the GOP.

You seem to have no problem accepting lies and misinformation, and even direct impositions on your personal life, when it is coming from the Democratic Party, and will even loudly implore others to follow along, making it clear that you consider them less than human if they refuse. Yet, the instant you perceive that the same thing is being done to you by "conservatives," you reject it out of hand and become irate, viewing it as a grave threat and an injustice. There is a fundamental lesson in this from which you would benefit, but I doubt you will. You are in a cult, after all.

The only logical conclusion that an intelligent person could reach, after examining the data and statistics related to COVID, is that the average person does not have a clear concept of the difference between the number one, and a thousand, and a million. None whatsoever.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

It's just politicians using the same old issue to yell at other politicians. I don't really care who's lying and who's not, it's all bullshit and those people are slime. I have no particular attachment to the GOP.

You seem to have no problem accepting lies and misinformation, and even direct impositions on your personal life, when it is coming from the Democratic Party, and will even loudly implore others to follow along, making it clear that you consider them less than human if they refuse. Yet, the instant you perceive that the same thing is being done to you by "conservatives," you reject it out of hand and become irate, viewing it as a grave threat and an injustice. There is a fundamental lesson in this from which you would benefit, but I doubt you will. You are in a cult, after all.

The only logical conclusion that an intelligent person could reach, after examining the data and statistics related to COVID, is that the average person does not have a clear concept of the difference between the number one, and a thousand, and a million. None whatsoever.
    At least you have an answer...that's several steps up from the other true Patriot philosophers round here. It's hot internet message board libertarian nonsense, but it is a coherent position. Few of your confederates can even claim that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not interested in running around in circles with you. You don't like my opinion, guess what don't care.
    I"m also not going the drivel on and on page after page trying to shove my opinion on how I think you should live your life or make choices for you down your throat. You elected to get vaccinated good for you. Want a cookie?
    Let others have that same choice you had. Deal with your own shit and be happy.
    It has nothing to do with your or my opinion. Simple question, when Republicans say "do more” or “control the virus” what do they mean? Where I live it isn’t vaccines, masks, distancing, or testing. So what do they want? Do those that make these statements even know?

.............it's all bullshit and those people are slime.........
    Steelreserve's worldview in a nutshell.

At least you have an answer...that's several steps up from the other true Patriot philosophers round here. It's hot internet message board libertarian nonsense, but it is a coherent position. Few of your confederates can even claim that.
    Yes, well you know how you deride those people for blind loyalty to a party, and for twisting or ignoring reality to suit their political doctrine? It's the exact same thing you do, just a different political party. The only difference is that you put way more effort into it. Oof.

Like I said before, my half-cocked armchair libertarian nonsense beats your meticulously researched bullshit any day of the week.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Like I said before, my half-cocked armchair libertarian nonsense beats your meticulously researched bullshit any day of the week.
    .............it's all bullshit and those people are slime.........