Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Vaccine warning - watch

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Covid-19 Vaccine warning - watch

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Another withering reply.

The attenuated virus candidates are not being developed in the US. One is being researched in Brazil and two in China. Both are far from gaining approval. But another win for whatever nonsense your spewing and whatever incoherent point you believe you've made.
    There you are again, doing exactly what I just said. Taking the long road to being wrong, by smugly presenting irrelevant information. But that's just what we expect out of you.

Protip: You aren't impressing anyone but yourself. Or anyone worth impressing. But I repeat myself.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There you are again, doing exactly what I just said. Taking the long road to being wrong, by smugly presenting irrelevant information. But that's just what we expect out of you.

Protip: You aren't impressing anyone but yourself. Or anyone worth impressing. But I repeat myself.
    Sure. Just because you prefer to go through life under-informed and ignorant doesn't mean the rest of us have to. I am certainly not going to apologize for knowing about stuff.

If somehow talking about facts and information makes you feel slighted or politcized, that is a you problem. I fail to see how discussing actual events and timelines is a problematic form of conversation. But I haven't been able to understand a single thing you have posted in about 6 months.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Sure. Just because you prefer to go through life under-informed and ignorant doesn't mean the rest of us have to. I am certainly not going to apologize for knowing about stuff.

If somehow talking about facts and information makes you feel slighted or politcized, that is a you problem. I fail to see how discussing actual events and timelines is a problematic form of conversation. But I haven't been able to understand a single thing you have posted in about 6 months.
    Yeah, ok. What is really going on is easy to understand: A false sense of superiority on your part.

You live in your carefully constructed fantasy where you have the world all figured out, and come up with increasingly thin ways of saying anything that would upset that idea is invalid, usually because those challenging you are ignorant or crazy. Fact is, you don't need to apologize for "knowing about stuff," because you don't know all that much. It's nothing special.

Take the very issue above as an example. What was the premise? That a standard vaccine for COVID would be practical. What was the outcome? That it is practical. Then you make a bunch of noise about why that shouldn't really count, because of where they're making it and a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the original yes/no question - to which the answer was yes.

Or, the idiot hydroxychloroquine argument. What was the question? Whether the drug has some benefit. What was the outcome? That it may well have some benefits, although not huge ones and not consistently and not on purpose. Even though it is just a coincidence, there are scientific reasons for that which have been known for decades. Then, a bunch of noise from you about why that doesn't really count and it's just some conspiracy theory.

Again, you're impressing no one but yourself. It's embarrassing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah, ok. What is really going on is easy to understand: A false sense of superiority on your part.

You live in your carefully constructed fantasy where you have the world all figured out, and come up with increasingly thin ways of saying anything that would upset that idea is invalid, usually because those challenging you are ignorant or crazy. Fact is, you don't need to apologize for "knowing about stuff," because you don't know all that much. It's nothing special.

Take the very issue above as an example. What was the premise? That a standard vaccine for COVID would be practical. What was the outcome? That it is practical. Then you make a bunch of noise about why that shouldn't really count, because of where they're making it and a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the original yes/no question - to which the answer was yes.

Or, the idiot hydroxychloroquine argument. What was the question? Whether the drug has some benefit. What was the outcome? That it may well have some benefits, although not huge ones and not consistently and not on purpose. Even though it is just a coincidence, there are scientific reasons for that which have been known for decades. Then, a bunch of noise from you about why that doesn't really count and it's just some conspiracy theory.

Again, you're impressing no one but yourself. It's embarrassing.
    Whatever you have to think or say to make yourself feel better. As usual you have put words in my mouth and the mouths of others. It is your typical moving of the goalposts and strawman arguments so that you never have to admit that you are not the smartest guy in the room. I have no idea why knowledge and discussion is such a threat to you. Sounds like a personal problem...but I could really give a shit.

The bottom line is that you ask "questions" then when the answers don't suit you, you attack the person answering the question.

You originally asked "why an mRNA vaccine". Myself and others posted the chain of events and information that led to both vaccines to be ready were mRNA based. Simple discussions of how vaccines were developed and why a relatively new technology was first out of the gate are somehow offensive to you...so that's nice.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

There you go again with your fancy science and medical quackery. Why bother with all that liberal clap-trap when you can just go to YouTube University and figure it all out yourself?

Ever notice how once the conversation strays off the pre-loaded talking points and rant scripts of the far right of the internet, some have nothing to say? It is almost like they don't actually know anything....
    Youtube U. Its basically the 2020 online version of Laney School for Monorail Conducting.

Whatever you have to think or say to make yourself feel better. As usual you have put words in my mouth and the mouths of others. It is your typical moving of the goalposts and strawman arguments so that you never have to admit that you are not the smartest guy in the room. I have no idea why knowledge and discussion is such a threat to you. Sounds like a personal problem...but I could really give a shit.

The bottom line is that you ask "questions" then when the answers don't suit you, you attack the person answering the question.

You originally asked "why an mRNA vaccine". Myself and others posted the chain of events and information that led to both vaccines to be ready were mRNA based. Simple discussions of how vaccines were developed and why a relatively new technology was first out of the gate are somehow offensive to you...so that's nice.
    More of the same inflated-ego tripe again.

Guess what, just as there is a simple answer to many of the issues being discussed, there is also a simple reason why you haven't been able to understand a single thing I've posted in about 6 months.

It is because at roughly that same time, you bought into a certain slate of ideas, which has increasingly come into conflict with the evidence of the world around it. For that slate of ideas to be wrong would be devastating to those who adhere to it, so you desperately seek confirmation, and react with increasing dismissiveness and condescension to non-believers. Don't worry, you are not the only one doing this; it is very widespread and there is a reason for it.

When faced with uncertainty, men of weak character look to authority to tell them what is true, and what is right and just. On the other hand, those who can think for themselves attempt to reconcile that with what their own eyes tell them, and make their own judgments accordingly.

To some extent, I feel bad for the liberals. It's not your fault you were lied to. The same was tried on all of us. Basically, you are in a cult and you don't even know it.

But my pity only extends so far, and when those bad ideas become pervasive enough that you demand adherence from the rest of us - it has reached and exceeded that limit, and instead of pity it is just disgust.

But please, keep doing whatever it takes to convince yourself you're the one who's doing it right.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Cool. More junior high philosophy. Whatever keeps you warm at night. Me? I prefer alcohol and learning over the cold comfort of arrogance and mental masturbation. But, to each their own.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

More of the same inflated-ego tripe again.

Guess what, just as there is a simple answer to many of the issues being discussed, there is also a simple reason why you haven't been able to understand a single thing I've posted in about 6 months.

It is because at roughly that same time, you bought into a certain slate of ideas, which has increasingly come into conflict with the evidence of the world around it. For that slate of ideas to be wrong would be devastating to those who adhere to it, so you desperately seek confirmation, and react with increasing dismissiveness and condescension to non-believers. Don't worry, you are not the only one doing this; it is very widespread and there is a reason for it.

When faced with uncertainty, men of weak character look to authority to tell them what is true, and what is right and just. On the other hand, those who can think for themselves attempt to reconcile that with what their own eyes tell them, and make their own judgments accordingly.

To some extent, I feel bad for the liberals. It's not your fault you were lied to. The same was tried on all of us. Basically, you are in a cult and you don't even know it.

But my pity only extends so far, and when those bad ideas become pervasive enough that you demand adherence from the rest of us - it has reached and exceeded that limit, and instead of pity it is just disgust.

But please, keep doing whatever it takes to convince yourself you're the one who's doing it right.
    Two thumbs up
    Hater = Realist

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Post Re: Covid-19 Vaccine warning - watch

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    [/B]
    That's all well and good, but what do you do with people like me that are 5 years from retirement? How are we supposed to learn a new field that pays a living wage in the short time we have left to work? Are we just deemed disposable and left to die on the vine?
    Remember, Trump is going to help you. Isn't that why you elected him? Wasn't he suppose to stop the world from progressing? You know, bring back coal and all that? Make sure Uber didn't replace horse drawn carriages? Ivanka will help you in 2024.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Remember, Trump is going to help you. Isn't that why you elected him? Wasn't he suppose to stop the world from progressing? You know, bring back coal and all that? Make sure Uber didn't replace horse drawn carriages? Ivanka will help you in 2024.
    I think it was ( washed ) coal
    yes the good old days of horse drawn carriages
    woman in the kitchen
    whites in charge and blacks knowing there place
    old white men living large and in power
    oh yes when America was great
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Quote Originally Posted by T&B fan View Post
    I think it was ( washed ) coal
    yes the good old days of horse drawn carriages
    woman in the kitchen
    whites in charge and blacks knowing there place
    old white men living large and in power
    oh yes when America was great
    Are those Mexicans, the virus, or the future climbing over that wall?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Nobody could be this full of shit. It has to be an act.
    No, it’s not an act. He thinks he’s an authority on everything.

He really is full of shit

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

[/B]
    That's all well and good, but what do you do with people like me that are 5 years from retirement? How are we supposed to learn a new field that pays a living wage in the short time we have left to work? Are we just deemed disposable and left to die on the vine?
    You reinvent yourself. You pursue additional education or training. You sacrifice a lot to improve your prospects.
    The ability and willingness to adapt is key.
    It’s not easy, and it requires perseverance, hard work, and good old grit.
    The solution comes from within yourself, not from others.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

Are those Mexicans, the virus, or the future climbing over that wall?

I remember being told that that wall was impenetrable and unscalable by even the best rock or mountain climbers . dam them pesky ladders
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Cool. More junior high philosophy. Whatever keeps you warm at night. Me? I prefer alcohol and learning over the cold comfort of arrogance and mental masturbation. But, to each their own.
    Really neat story. Listen, I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm not really even talking to you when I ridicule your inflated sense of self-worth. Arguing with you is as useless as it has ever been.

Why do I do it? Mainly for everyone else. The temper tantrums that you and the other smuggies throw are epic, and revealing. None of us are ever going to convince any of you that you are wrong - you are in too deep - but seeing it on full display is a great reminder of what we're dealing with.

The truth is, I just don't give a shit what you actually think. You and your buddies went over the precipice months ago, and talking to you is an absolute chore, all you ever get is more bullshit. But, as a wise man once said: Your boos don't bother me, I've seen what makes you cheer. You and your couple of smuggie friends can keep aggressively jerking each other off, and the rest of us will be here shaking our heads saying "That's such a shame." Good luck!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

here is what I know about it ....

I do not trust it

to short of study

to limited of a study

most important aspect of the study skipped in order to expedite the vaccine ( Animal testing)

and lastly I will not take the vaccine and nobody can force me for the above reasons ...

they can try and make it difficult by limiting my travel ( I do not fly anyways )

they can limit my ability to go to stores , I'll shop online ....

they can try and limit my ability to work but I am self employed ...

what can they do ? not much ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    You reinvent yourself. You pursue additional education or training. You sacrifice a lot to improve your prospects.
    The solution comes from within yourself, not from others.
    I get it, but I'm 61 years old. What should I get an education in and pursue at this stage of the game? How do I pay for said education? I have 5 years and 10 months until retirement.

It's people like me that are shit out of luck. If were even in my mid 50's I would agree with you, but that isn't the case. Even if people in my situation did what you espouse, who is going to hire a 60 something year old for anything?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    The solution comes from within yourself, not from others

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Serious question:

Since You Tube seems to elicit a lot of negativity on here, what other sources of video would you approve of... or do you just not approve of any videos?

Why is the source of the video important? Why isn't the content worthy of listening to just because it's from You Tube? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    ...................I will not take the vaccine and nobody can force me.................

- - - Updated - - -

Serious question:

Since You Tube seems to elicit a lot of negativity on here, what other sources of video would you approve of... or do you just not approve of any videos?

Why is the source of the video important? Why isn't the content worthy of listening to just because it's from You Tube? Just curious.

There's nothing wrong with YouTube. It's just that anyone can use it to push anything they want. So, you need to be selective if you're using it for information purposes.

I get it, but I'm 61 years old. What should I get an education in and pursue at this stage of the game? How do I pay for said education? I have 5 years and 10 months until retirement.

It's people like me that are shit out of luck. If were even in my mid 50's I would agree with you, but that isn't the case. Even if people in my situation did what you espouse, who is going to hire a 60 something year old for anything?
    Did you plan on saving all your retirement money in the last 5 years of your employment? Didn't you save anything, build your SS or pension, during the last 40 years?

Did you plan on saving all your retirement money in the last 5 years of your employment? Didn't you save anything, build your SS or pension, during the last 40 years?
    I have a small chunk of money put away. I can live for a year without work. I have another small amount of money in a 401k. That doesn't do anything for the immediate problem of having my job literally taken away from me.

When you work in the trades and are raising two kids, paying a mortgage and vehicle payments and all that goes with that, it's pretty hard to save money. Now, being divorced for the last 7 years, with two more years of alimony left to pay, out of work through no fault of my own, I find myself in a fairly scary situation.

Feel fortunate that you are retired and don't have to worry about it.

It's easy to sit in judgement when you are no longer in the game.... and you are doing just fine.

Serious question:

YouTube is awesome. I use it almost everyday for a variety of things. But you have to be incredibly cautious about what information you are getting from it. I used it to repair a couple of snowblowers yesterday. Really useful. Got to see walk-throughs on how to tear-down my exact model. The two videos I used were, as best I could tell, by individuals who owned a small engine repair shop and had years of experience working on snowblowers and the like.

For other subjects, you have to scale it up but do essentially the same thing. Who produced the content I am watching? What motivations did they have in producing it? Are they trying to make $$$ in any way (increase their brand, drive clicks to another website, etc)? And am I watching opinion or information?

Throughout this thread and others, 9/10 of the YouTube links shared are either opinion shows or someone attempting to monetize something or other. And it is okay if the channel or content producer is attempting to monetize their YouTube channel if their $$$ is based on being informative rather than opinionated.

For example, these dudes are trying to make money on YouTube but nor for their opinions: https://youtu.be/35Idb_lCU4o and that puts them in another category. You can always look up the folks producing your content and see what others are saying about them: https://www.aapa.org/news-central/20...tional-videos/

In contrast if the video has links to political activists, anti-vaxxers, or doctors that haven't practiced medicine in several years...you may want to find another source of "information" because that one is likely fundamentally flawed.

You are right, you're pretty screwed right now. Hopefully in 6 months or so, we can crawl back to regular stuff and workflow picks up in your industry and others. Luckily, the automation that would take jobs in the trades is far more than 5 years away...so no worries there.

But the harsh reality is about every generation or so, there are innovations and changes in the workforce that just kneecap a whole cohort of workers. There is nothing anyone can do for them. Which is why all these conversations by politicos about jobs and manufacturing and getting back to work or whatever that have been going on my entire life are usually a pack of lies.

The best hope is not to build and retain jobs in current industries, but to innovate, invent, and perfect the next set of industries. That takes a ton of money, a ton of cleverness, and lots of other impossible to predict crap. And it doesn't help anyone right now.

Hopefully, you can just ride this out, return to work, and retire before the world changes too much more!

If you need to re career, somebody will hire you or you can create your own business, with skills you have acquired over your decades in the workforce. Have some faith in your abilities. Look at what you have accomplished over your lifetime and know that it was you that did that, not external forces.

YouTube is awesome. I use it almost everyday for a variety of things. But you have to be incredibly cautious about what information you are getting from it. I used it to repair a couple of snowblowers yesterday. Really useful. Got to see walk-throughs on how to tear-down my exact model. The two videos I used were, as best I could tell, by individuals who owned a small engine repair shop and had years of experience working on snowblowers and the like.

For other subjects, you have to scale it up but do essentially the same thing. Who produced the content I am watching? What motivations did they have in producing it? Are they trying to make $$$ in any way (increase their brand, drive clicks to another website, etc)? And am I watching opinion or information?

Throughout this thread and others, 9/10 of the YouTube links shared are either opinion shows or someone attempting to monetize something or other. And it is okay if the channel or content producer is attempting to monetize their YouTube channel if their $$$ is based on being informative rather than opinionated.

For example, these dudes are trying to make money on YouTube but nor for their opinions: https://youtu.be/35Idb_lCU4o and that puts them in another category. You can always look up the folks producing your content and see what others are saying about them: https://www.aapa.org/news-central/20...tional-videos/

In contrast if the video has links to political activists, anti-vaxxers, or doctors that haven't practiced medicine in several years...you may want to find another source of "information" because that one is likely fundamentally flawed.
    Thank you. I was just curious as to why YouTube gets such a bad rap on here. I get what your saying.

I don't really know of anything that isn't opinion based on any video channel. I listen to a lot of Ted Talks, Hoover Institution, Victor Davis Hanson, Jordan Peterson, Thomas Sowell,etc...

I find that even though a vid is opinion based, there is often quite a bit of truth along with the opinion. Of course, that is subjective. If you think differently, you are likely to dismiss what is being said. That goes for either side you are defending or persecuting. It's really a no win situation.

After a certain amount of time/arguing/posting vids... It's really just a waste of time... and time to move on...

I used it to repair a couple of snowblowers yesterday. Really useful. Got to see walk-throughs on how to tear-down my exact model. The two videos I used were, as best I could tell, by individuals who owned a small engine repair shop and had years of experience working on snowblowers and the like.
    That's the kind of thing I use it for.

I have a small chunk of money put away. I can live for a year without work. I have another small amount of money in a 401k. That doesn't do anything for the immediate problem of having my job literally taken away from me.

When you work in the trades and are raising two kids, paying a mortgage and vehicle payments and all that goes with that, it's pretty hard to save money. Now, being divorced for the last 7 years, with two more years of alimony left to pay, out of work through no fault of my own, I find myself in a fairly scary situation.

Feel fortunate that you are retired and don't have to worry about it.

It's easy to sit in judgement when you are no longer in the game.... and you are doing just fine.
    You don't have to retire in 5 years. Lots of people work to 70 or later. My sister is 82 and still works because she wants to. It keeps her brain going. Money wise she could have retired years ago.

You are right, you're pretty screwed right now. Hopefully in 6 months or so, we can crawl back to regular stuff and workflow picks up in your industry and others. Luckily, the automation that would take jobs in the trades is far more than 5 years away...so no worries there.

But the harsh reality is about every generation or so, there are innovations and changes in the workforce that just kneecap a whole cohort of workers. There is nothing anyone can do for them. Which is why all these conversations by politicos about jobs and manufacturing and getting back to work or whatever that have been going on my entire life are usually a pack of lies.

The best hope is not to build and retain jobs in current industries, but to innovate, invent, and perfect the next set of industries. That takes a ton of money, a ton of cleverness, and lots of other impossible to predict crap. And it doesn't help anyone right now.

Hopefully, you can just ride this out, return to work, and retire before the world changes too much more!
    That's what I'm hoping for, too. Thank you understanding where I'm coming from.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to retire in 5 years. Lots of people work to 70 or later. My sister is 82 and still works because she wants to. It keeps her brain going. Money wise she could have retired years ago.
    I don't have to, you're right. I'm just not sure my body agrees...lol. I was actually planning to work until 70.... if I can.

I don't have to, you're right. I'm just not sure my body agrees...lol. I was actually planning to work until 70.... if I can.
    Just keep going, do the best you can, and don't let it get to you. Life is going to throw curve balls at you. That's just the way it is.