Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veteran QB Roulette

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Veteran QB Roulette

Watching bits and pieces of football today. And it looks like the curtain is going to come down on a few more Head Coach QB combos around the league. I honestly believe the following guys will be available this off-season:

Matt Stafford
    Carson Wentz
    Cam Newton
    Mitch Trubisky
    Nick Foles
    Sam Darnold

So...assume these guys are all available. Assume the salary cap or whatever could be made to work out. Further assume, that Ben R is out of the picture. Which guy would you want to magically transport to the Steelers roster and what would you part with to do it?

I would go with Carson Wentz on a steep discount. Offer the Iggles a 2020 second and a future 3rd. I honestly believe that Wentz is a re-build of his shattered confidence and faith in the offensive system away from returning to his previously winning form.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Veteran QB Roulette

As I’ve said for months, I honestly think Darnold ends up here. I foresee our R2 being shipped to the Jets (although, I hope that it’s an early R3 pick instead).

That said, Stafford with this team... I’d trade our R1 pick to make that happen!!!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

What has Wentz ever done? Stafford or darnold. Honestly stafford is not alot younger than Ben is he?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Stafford is 32, so 6 years younger than Ben.

I think the version of Wentz that was cruising to a SB and a consensus MVP before he got hurt and had to let Nick Foles finish the job is still in there somewhere. He is only 27. And when he was last healthy and playing well, he looked and played like a young Big Ben. That's why I would try and trade for him. Rehab his game and you have a QB that does things very similar to your outgoing franchise guy.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Stafford is probably the best option but put Carson Wentz with a better OC then he will do better than he is in Philly now

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As I’ve said for months, I honestly think Darnold ends up here. I foresee our R2 being shipped to the Jets (although, I hope that it’s an early R3 pick instead).

That said, Stafford with this team... I’d trade our R1 pick to make that happen!!!
    I would as well. I truly believe that on a non-crappy team and Stafford has a borderline HOF career. In fact, he still basically does...just without the team success.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

We may all be discounting just how lights out Ben has been this year it previous years, when it mattered . He's put it in a rope and get it done. This year has been beyond previous years in that ability to just find a way

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’m pretty sure Wentz counts $48M against the Eagles’ cap next year. He’s not going anywhere.

Cam is Duante Culpepper. Done.

Trubisky is trash.

Foles is a relief pitcher.

I’d take Stafford in a heartbeat but Detroit isn’t letting him go at 32.

Darnold might be the only realistic option.

I’d take Gardner Minshew over all of them except Stafford.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think Darnold could still be a franchise QB if he gets out of NY and in a good situation. Not sure about his attitude, if its good, if its bad or just beaten down by that situation.

Stafford is going to go somewhere to compete for playoffs and a SB if possible. I cant see him being a Steelers while Ben is still on the team, while Darnold could wait a year or 2 if the Steelers were to trade for him in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Further assume, that Ben R is out of the picture. Which guy would you want to magically transport to the Steelers roster and what would you part with to do it?
    This was the sorta key piece of the original hypothetical. And I didn''t realize Wentz contract was so loaded onto the 2021 cap. After next season is when Wentz becomes really really moveable.

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

I’d take Darnold and give up the 2021 2nd

With the 64th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft The New York Jets select, DB- Goober Butternuts - Kentucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Veteran QB Roulette

Went contract is HORRIFIC. $80M dead cap hit this season, $60M cap hit in 2021, $25M in 2022, a manageable $15M in 2023 and $6M in 2024.

If you are making that deal, you’d better make sure he’s the right one because you can’t get rid of him at those hits...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Went contract is HORRIFIC. $80M dead cap hit this season, $60M cap hit in 2021, $25M in 2022, a manageable $15M in 2023 and $6M in 2024.

If you are making that deal, you’d better make sure he’s the right one because you can’t get rid of him at those hits...
    Philly done F'd up

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    What has Wentz ever done? Stafford or darnold. Honestly stafford is not alot younger than Ben is he?

The year the Eagles won the SB (2017) he lead the team to a 11-3 record before going down to a knee injury. He was fantastic. Since they he's been lost. Granted his offensive line retired, moved on, and is total shit now. His receivers are trash as well or injured.

If I had to pick off that list I would take him first but his contract makes that almost impossible now unless the Eagles eat half of it. He has the talent but his confidence has to be shot. He reminds me of a young Ben, a guy that has the ability to extend plays but holds the ball WAY too long. With better coaching he could be great again.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    The year the Eagles won the SB (2017) he lead the team to a 11-3 record before going down to a knee injury. He was fantastic. Since they he's been lost. Granted his offensive line retired, moved on, and is total shit now. His receivers are trash as well or injured.

If I had to pick off that list I would take him first but his contract makes that almost impossible now unless the Eagles eat half of it. He has the talent but his confidence has to be shot. He reminds me of a young Ben, a guy that has the ability to extend plays but holds the ball WAY too long. With better coaching he could be great again.
    Sounds like a standard one year wonder. If he was half of Ben he'd be finding ways to win

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Ryan Fitzpatrick maybe? Seems Miami is already rolling with Tua. Always wanted to see what Fitzy could do on a good team

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Ryan Fitzpatrick maybe? Seems Miami is already rolling with Tua. Always wanted to see what Fitzy could do on a good team
    Way too old.

I think it would be interesting to see what Stafford could do with a defense and receivers. Of course if we don't build any running game next year it would just be a ditto of this one.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    That could be big.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    This will be interesting to see if Philly uses the #6 pick on a QB, or they like what they have in Hurts.

Good on them for unloading that contract, but the Colts have something silly like over $70million in cap room.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    This will be interesting to see if Philly uses the #6 pick on a QB, or they like what they have in Hurts.

Good on them for unloading that contract, but the Colts have something silly like over $70million in cap room.
    If they plan to go with Hurts, do they get him protection OL, or a weapon with Harris or Smith? Both guys he's familiar with at Bama.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If they plan to go with Hurts, do they get him protection OL, or a weapon with Harris or Smith? Both guys he's familiar with at Bama.

They already have an excellent RB. They need OL and WR help the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If they plan to go with Hurts, I am a fan of trading out of the #6 spot and getting an extra pick. They could trade back to #12 and get both the 1st and 2nd pick from SF, or trade back to #14 and get NE 1st and 2nd round picks.

They can then get an OT, WR and RB all in the first 2 rounds if they want. Or they can get an OT, C and a WR there. I think if they upgrade OT from the 39 year old Jason Peters, that is a start. This isnt a 1 year rebuild for the Eagles. I think you accumulate talented players and rebuild from the inside out of the line, but doesnt have to be the first round.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

A 3 and a 2... wow. If Wentz returns to old form, what a steal. Did the Steelers miss out on a Ben successor?

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    A 3 and a 2... wow. If Wentz returns to old form, what a steal. Did the Steelers miss out on a Ben successor?
    True, but if Haskins actually finds some form Steelers get a bigger steal. Of course IF my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. I think the Colts got a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    We couldn't afford the contract. Indian maybe the only team in the league that could

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Philly done F'd up
    $33,820,608 dead $$$ cap hit for the Eagles this season.

Wow!!!

This made far too much sense not to happen. Wentz goes to a coaching staff that he had success with or at least in a highly similar system. If anyone is going to fix Wentz, it was/is Indy.

@Born2Steel, if I was the Eagles and able to trade back and pick up an extra 2nd round pick I would look at something like this:

R1. Najee Harris RB (a good running game is a QB's best friend)
    R2. Nick Bolton LB Mizzou (Iggles LB group needs help)
    R2. Walker Little OT Stanford (Opted out of 2020 season and may slip) or Liam Eichenberg if Little is gone
    R3. Jordan Smith Edge UAB (have to look at Brandon Graham's replacement)

The Eagles spent draft picks on Jaylen Reagor and John Hightower at WR in 2020. They also have Travis Fulgham under contract, so have some young WR targets. They still have some good RB's, but I think Harris is special type RB. Plus they have 2 5th round picks to look at a C to replace Kelce in a year, or look at a #2 TE to put behind Goedart, or D line, CB.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think this is going to be tremendous for the Colts. Unlike the Eagles they have a great supporting cast and Frank Reich was with him on his best year. I'm sure Indy will use him better than Philly did