Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Highsmith

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Alex Highsmith

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    From what I have read, Highsmith registered 2 pressures in the first half
    4 total (not too shabby)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That's awesome on the pass rusher front. But all those short plays out into the flat. Did any of those take place on Highsmiths side?

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That's awesome on the pass rusher front. But all those short plays out into the flat. Did any of those take place on Highsmiths side?
    Couldn’t believe McKissic caught 10 passes, Id love to be fly on wall in film room.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Were those receptions because of Highsmith?

..or...

Was it because we were without Nelson, Haden, and Spillane?

IMO, it was more about our CBs playing a little more deep (as you would expect with a backup compared to a starter) and the WFT taking advantage of those cushions by sending their RB out to those open areas.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Were those receptions because of Highsmith?

..or...

Was it because we were without Nelson, Haden, and Spillane?

IMO, it was more about our CBs playing a little more deep (as you would expect with a backup compared to a starter) and the WFT taking advantage of those cushions by sending their RB out to those open areas.
    Not to mention their TE did a great Kelce impersonation and got all the attention.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Listening to Arthur Moats today talking about Highsmith, and the difference between coming off the bench as pass rusher as opposed to being the starter, I'm inclined to give Highsmith some time before I conclude he won't live up to "the standard is the standard." Basically, Moats said the Highsmith was probably thinking too much at this point. He said that when you are a situational pass rusher you don't have to think - you just react . Moats continued: When you become a starter as a young player suddenly you have to account for so many responsibilities that you start over thinking and not reacting.

Hopefully, Highsmith will improve over the next few weeks.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Listening to Arthur Moats today talking about Highsmith, and the difference between coming off the bench as pass rusher as opposed to being the starter, I'm inclined to give Highsmith some time before I conclude he won't live up to "the standard is the standard." Basically, Moats said the Highsmith was probably thinking too much at this point. He said that when you are a situational pass rusher you don't have to think - you just react . Moats continued: When you become a starter as a young player suddenly you have to account for so many responsibilities that you start over thinking and not reacting.

Hopefully, Highsmith will improve over the next few weeks.

It's unfortunate that he is forced to do this so early in his career. I really believe we will see a much better version with some strength and conditioning, and a full offseason and training camp of working on his craft. He needs a couple years before we know for sure how good he can be.

It’s PFF, so take it for what it is worth, but...

Highest-graded rookie EDGE defenders:
    1. Chase Young
    2. Alex Highsmith

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I wonder why people were willing to give up Alex Highsmith after only 2 games but it took to year 5 for Bud Dupree to turn into a decent no. 2 pass rusher and people on here were extremely patient with him

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I wonder why people were willing to give up Alex Highsmith after only 2 games but it took to year 5 for Bud Dupree to turn into a decent no. 2 pass rusher and people on here were extremely patient with him
    Lol

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Highsmith gets less slack, imo, because the fans know that the Steelers need Highsmith to be successful immediately so that the defense continues to play at a high level. If he were being worked into the rotation not out of necessity but out of development purposes he would be getting more slack. It's unfortunate, but here's hoping he can handle the pressure and improve week-to-week and by the tie the playoffs roll around he isn't as lost as he looks on occasion. I think he's going to be a really good player for the Steelers starting next year. For now, the Steelers need him to be adequate and not a liabiltiy.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Alex Highsmith effectively caused a turnover and won the Colts game with his timely pressure on Rivers.

Third String Tackle yeah we know. Dong pressure.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Highsmith has 1 start. He did not embarrass himself. I'm ok with bringing in vet depth but I would let this kid play for now.
    Still ok with letting the kid play.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

he showed up and played well today ...

was he Bud Duprees level of 2019 or 2020 no , but he was as good or better than Dupree prior to 2019 so there is reason for optimism ..

we must assume this is his floor not his ceiling as a player and if that is correct then he could be a very good player moving forward
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Agreed. He has a lot of potential. I would try to sign Dupree if possible (thinking he's going to cost too much) though and groom him to replace Bud after this contract.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Agreed. He has a lot of potential. I would try to sign Dupree if possible (thinking he's going to cost too much) though and groom him to replace Bud after this contract.
    I think Highsmith has shown enough potential that keeping Dupree is a luxury the Steelers can't afford. There are several good teams that need pass rushing help in the worst way (i.e., Tennessee and Seattle for starters) that I see another team giving Bud an 18-20 million per year contract this offseason.

As someone above noted, I think this right now is the floor with Highsmith. If he gets stronger and puts on on additional 5-10 lbs this offseason I think he will be a significant force opposite TJ.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

He did well today, lost contain on one of the Mayfield scrambles, but Bud does that as well.

The announcers even noticed that Highsmith is going to be a beast. At one point, they said something along the lines of “Highsmith is about to make a splash play... you can feel it coming.”

He also lined up in Watt’s spot (ILB) on the goaline.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The announcers even noticed that Highsmith is going to be a beast. At one point, they said something along the lines of “Highsmith is about to make a splash play... you can feel it coming.”

He’s starting to perfect that spin move. Dwight Freeney would approve.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He had a great game today. He was very disruptive and forced the quarterback into bad throws and sacks by others as well. He also held up well against the run today as well.

He also seems to come through a lot on important plays where he seems to elevate his game. That's a very good sign going forward.

He still needs a little more strength and conditioning to put on more muscle and gain strength while retaining or improving quickness. I think he is capable of getting much better with more time and work. Awesome job for a guy thrust into a tough situation as a rookie.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Yeah he's a bit of a dick, but his quotes have stuck with me (as well as with others, since we still use the Dong adjective).

After the last Ravens game:
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Mill
    Crud (sic) gimpily tore his ACL in the 4Q, thereby ending his Stiller career and mercifully allowing the better Highsmith to now start at ROLB.
    He probably wasn't wrong.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Are we really still doing the whole “Dupree is terrible thing?”

I guess.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Highsmith: Digest Player of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    Yeah he's a bit of a dick, but his quotes have stuck with me (as well as with others, since we still use the Dong adjective).

After the last Ravens game:
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Mill
    Crud (sic) gimpily tore his ACL in the 4Q, thereby ending his Stiller career and mercifully allowing the better Highsmith to now start at ROLB.
    He probably wasn't wrong.
    LOL. The ONLY thing that dude is known/remembered for is the "Dong Sack." And I'm also pretty sure that whenever the "Dong" term is invoked, it is done so mockingly.

That's not how I remember it at all. I recall a huge meltdown by plenty of people when they tagged him. For example:

T.J. Watt made Bud Dupree, but Steelers are about to tag & overpay the wrong linebacker

Patience has never been an attribute this fanbase has going for it, by and large.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Are we really still doing the whole “Dupree is terrible thing?”

I guess.

apparently ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

He was in on some 5LB sets earlier in the year and played ILB in High School, so I figured that was in his skillset if they needed him there.

- - - Updated - - -

He’s starting to perfect that spin move. Dwight Freeney would approve.
    He had that in his repertoire in college. Was in his film and I think he used it in the Bahamas Bowl game that I saw a year ago. He was well equipped with good hand skills and 4 or 5 decent rush moves in college. Refining those and getting stronger and quicker as a professional should help him.

He’s the starting EDGE player (opposite from Chase Young) on PFF’s All Rookie team.

Along with the aforementioned Young, they were the only two rookie edge players with 10 run stuffs.

Highsmith also had 18 “wins” (tackles that benefit the defense based on down & distance).

His 16.5% pass-rush win-rate is highest among rookies.

So bear with me here, have a half formed argument.

Highsmith was a walk on (I think) to a lower tier school. I assume that means he didn’t come out of a high powered HS program. Then he plays his college ball at lower level of competition than many other incoming NFL players. Nothing wrong with that. It just makes me assume that he experienced a lessened level of coaching and strength training. After that he enters the NFL in an abbreviated off season cycle. Again, less coaching and training. BUT with all that being said, he performs as he has in his rookie season.

Summation: WTF does this guy look like as a fully realized NFL player after a round of pro coaching and strength training?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    LOL. The ONLY thing that dude is known/remembered for is the "Dong Sack." And I'm also pretty sure that whenever the "Dong" term is invoked, it is done so mockingly.
    Mill is the Mark Madden of bloggers, good for a laugh and not meant to be taken seriously. Though he had some other gems like the Arians Abortion and Dick Lebeau's Patented Velcro Blitz, as well as some nicknames like Taunto Farrior the Winged God of Linebacker Coverage lol

Though honestly maybe he's more like the Neil Breen of blogging, as in he's unintentionally hilarious

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Mill is the Mark Madden of bloggers, good for a laugh and not meant to be taken seriously. Though he had some other gems like the Arians Abortion and Dick Lebeau's Patented Velcro Blitz, as well as some nicknames like Taunto Farrior the Winged God of Linebacker Coverage lol

Though honestly maybe he's more like the Neil Breen of blogging, as in he's unintentionally hilarious
    I forgot about "Taunto."