View Poll Results: are elections Popularity contests ?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • absolutely

6 85.71%
  • absolutely not

1 14.29%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: are elections glorified Popularity contests ?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

are elections glorified Popularity contests ?

lets see if we can agree to a basic premise ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: are elections glorified Popularity contests ?

Yes! It's one of the main reasons I don't vote.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

For young people I think they are. The older you get the more issues matter to you, your taxes, your retirement, coat if living , job market. When your young your more prone to overlooking these things as they will always be there, haven't lived through times when things were bad one way or another.

This past election was clearly a referendum on whether you like Trump or not. No one gives a crap for Biden but social media and msm has convinced plenty of folks that Trump is the devil .
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    This past election was clearly a referendum on whether you like Trump or not.
    Don't forget it was also a referendum on whether you think George Orwell wrote a warning, or an instruction manual.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I have a very good reason for asking this , I am in hopes its gets a hell of a lot more votes than it has thus far

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I have a very good reason for asking this , I am in hopes its gets a hell of a lot more votes than it has thus far
    What do you mean by popularity contest? Popular because they're seen as the best leader? Best guy to go drinking with? Most experienced? Just a good person? They're from your party? There are all sorts of reasons someone might be the most popular pick.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    What do you mean by popularity contest? Popular because they're seen as the best leader? Best guy to go drinking with? Most experienced? Just a good person? They're from your party? There are all sorts of reasons someone might be the most popular pick.
    Popular due to dementia and sniffing young girls hair. You’re right, many reasons.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I think most elections are a mix of a lot of different factors.

Very young voters are idealistic and emotional.... they have a rainbows and unicorns outlook on life and how it should be. They will not vote Republican/Conservative.

Older voters that have been in the world and have experience with how it works... or doesn't work, usually are a mix. They don't vote primarily on emotions. They vote both ways based on their personal experience, opinions, values and facts.

2016 was the year of a big percentage of people fed up with the status quo and a general dislike of Hilary, across the board.

2020 was the year of I hate Trump. This was definitely an emotional vote based soley on hate. No one that voted for Biden honestly believes he is capable of the job. Screw the country, the people, the economy..... screw everything, as long as Trump is out. As they say.... be careful what you wish for... you just may get it.

So.... popular might be the wrong term.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I think most elections are a mix of a lot of different factors.

Very young voters are idealistic and emotional.... they have a rainbows and unicorns outlook on life and how it should be. They will not vote Republican/Conservative.

Older voters that have been in the world and have experience with how it works... or doesn't work, usually are a mix. They don't vote primarily on emotions. They vote both ways based on their personal experience, opinions, values and facts.

2016 was the year of a big percentage of people fed up with the status quo and a general dislike of Hilary, across the board.

2020 was the year of I hate Trump. This was definitely an emotional vote based soley on hate. No one that voted for Biden honestly believes he is capable of the job. Screw the country, the people, the economy..... screw everything, as long as Trump is out. As they say.... be careful what you wish for... you just may get it.

So.... popular might be the wrong term.
    You nailed it, its less hated.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Popular due to dementia and sniffing young girls hair. You’re right, many reasons.
    Or popular due to terminal narcissism, endless braggadocio, white supremacy, and grabbing models by the pussy.
    You’re right, many reasons.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Or popular due to terminal narcissism, endless braggadocio, white supremacy, and grabbing models by the pussy.
    You’re right, many reasons.
    White supremacy???? How so?

I'll give you terminal narcissism... he's always been that. Braggadocio??? Sure. Most people in power are braggadocio. Grabbing models by the pussy??? I don't condone it, but I'm sure Donald isn't the only male to ever do so.... or to think about it...lol.

Please, do give examples of Trump's white supremacy.

From Debate Stage, Trump Declines To Denounce White Supremacy

During an exchange on the debate stage, moderator Chris Wallace repeatedly asked Trump if he would condemn white supremacists. Trump initially sidestepped that question, claiming that he mostly sees violence "from the left wing."

Trump eventually responded to Wallace's question by referring to a white supremacist group, saying, "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what: Somebody's got to do something about antifa and the left."

Here is the exchange:

WALLACE: You have repeatedly criticized the vice president for not specifically calling out antifa and other left-wing extremist groups. But are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down and not add to the violence in a number of these cities as we saw in Kenosha and as we've seen in Portland? Are you prepared to specifically do that?

TRUMP: Sure, I'm prepared to do that. But I would say almost everything I see is from the left wing, not from the right wing. If you look, I'm willing to do anything. I want to see peace.

WALLACE: Then do it, sir.

BIDEN: Do it. Say it.

TRUMP: You want to call them? What do you want to call them? Give me a name, give me a name, go ahead — who would you like me to condemn?

WALLACE: White supremacists, white supremacists and right-wing militia.

TRUMP: Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what: Somebody's got to do something about antifa and the left. Because this is not a right-wing problem — this is a left-wing problem.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/09/30/91848...hite-supremacy

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes they are, just look at 2012. Obama was one of the most inept presidents in u.s history (bottom 5 may be generous). 4 years of terrible economy, bad foreign policy, scandal, and targeting people who he didn't agree with. Yet in another show of their ineptitude, the gop establishment actually agreed to put forth Mitt Romney as their nominee who while a good enough business person inspired no one (I'm not sure even his wife was excited by him) and turned off his base more by the fact that he was a borderline Democrat. This combined with the fact that Obama still had a legion of followers classically conditioned to believe by the liberal media that he was the greatest thing ever and was going to fix the world, he just needed 8 years to do it and the likeability factor gap led to a fairly easy reelection victory of a guy who had no business running a hot dog stand let alone leading the United states of America

2016 was another one. Hilary Clinton was one of the most unlikable people to ever run for president and offered nothing but the continuation of Obama's 8 years of failure. Trump meanwhile built a strong base of loyal followers who wanted America first policies and a change from the status quo leading to a trump win even with likely chicanery of the deep state with dominion voting machines

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Yes they are, just look at 2012. Obama was one of the most inept presidents in u.s history (bottom 5 may be generous). 4 years of terrible economy, bad foreign policy, scandal, and targeting people who he didn't agree with. Yet in another show of their ineptitude, the gop establishment actually agreed to put forth Mitt Romney as their nominee who while a good enough business person inspired no one (I'm not sure even his wife was excited by him) and turned off his base more by the fact that he was a borderline Democrat. This combined with the fact that Obama still had a legion of followers classically conditioned to believe by the liberal media that he was the greatest thing ever and was going to fix the world, he just needed 8 years to do it and the likeability factor gap led to a fairly easy reelection victory of a guy who had no business running a hot dog stand let alone leading the United states of America

2016 was another one. Hilary Clinton was one of the most unlikable people to ever run for president and offered nothing but the continuation of Obama's 8 years of failure. Trump meanwhile built a strong base of loyal followers who wanted America first policies and a change from the status quo leading to a trump win even with likely chicanery of the deep state with dominion voting machines
    Exactly!

- - - Updated - - -

From Debate Stage, Trump Declines To Denounce White Supremacy

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/30/91848...hite-supremacy
    I'm not going to dispute that. Now.... do the same for Biden. It will look quite similar. You do like to cherry pick...lol.

The point is, Trump is NOT a white supremacist. Biden has said some awfully incriminating things himself, over the years. That doesn't make Biden a white supremacist, either. Biden is just an inept, in mental decline puppet for the progressive agenda. You and all the rest that put him there.................. good luck with the next four years...lol.

Biden is just an inept, in mental decline puppet for the progressive agenda. You and all the rest that put him there
    Anyone who believes that should be hung by the neck until dead before their anti-American beliefs spread. Of course I don't believe you really believe that so you're safe.

Anyone who believes that should be hung by the neck until dead before their anti-American beliefs spread. Of course I don't believe you really believe that so you're safe.

LOL! Keep on keepin' on with your liberal bullshit. I have respect for most of the Liberals on here.... you aren't one of them.

If you honestly think Biden is not in mental decline, and is up for the most important job in the entire world.... you are a bigger fool than I thought!

LOL! Keep on keepin' on with your liberal bullshit. I have respect for most of the Liberals on here.... you aren't one of them.

If you honestly think Biden is not in mental decline, and is up for the most important job in the entire world.... you are a bigger fool than I thought!
    Well, you can take solace, you're probably no dumber than steelanus or commiecigar. But, you are dumber than ...............

Well, you can take solace, you're probably no dumber than steelanus or commiecigar. But, you are dumber than ...............

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Of course they are. Any time people choose between a series of options, be it 2 or 200...the most "popular" one wins.

As many have touched on already in this thread; the main difference is that many people define "popular" differently and pick their favored option from a differing set of priorities.

If a given individual group of voters are "issue" voters. Let us say that issue is the corporate tax rate. Even if they are choosing their candidate based on the stance on that specific issue...it is still "popularity" Candidate A is more "popular" than Candidate B among the corporate tax rate issue group. On another issue the "popularity"may be inverted.

Of course you don’t believe it, you’re in the same boat!
    https://www.bu.edu/articles/2020/old...ted-joe-biden/

- - - Updated - - -

Biden should be playing bingo with you, not leading the country.

- - - Updated - - -

That hurts coming from a guy who believes sleepy, basement Joe has all his faculties. Or did you already forget you said that?

C’mon man, do you grab your dogs tail while naked too, what about your pet monkey. Yiu guys have more in common then I thought.

I asked a very specific question and got very specific answers and a the poll is 6-1 proclaiming its a popularity contest ...

Now the reason I asked such a specific question is because most agree its a popularity contest ( even many of the liberals here )

I got to ask what the likelihood the less popular and when I say less popular I mean DRASTICALLY less popular candidate could win an election , especially one where the sitting President gets more votes than any other sitting president in the history of this nation ...

Ok I know the question I will be getting is how I have determined popularity , I used a very simple test of such and that is social media ...

I used both twitter and Facebook and went to both Trump and Biden's page and took screenshot's the likes and followers of to use as the baseline of "popular"

- - - Updated - - -

roughly 122 million for Trump combined social media platform follows and around 30 million for Biden ...

so if Popularity ( like almost everyone here says ) equates to votes , then we know what really happened in this 2020 election ...

enjoy your evening all

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Agreed. People don't actually want Biden or voted for Biden. The only people actually excited for a Biden presidency are the DNC party bosses that will control him behind the scenes. Your typical Biden voter (I am talking about the actually people that legally voted, not the illegally manufactured ballots or the amount of votes added via Dominion vote glitches) were people trained like poodles by the Democratic establishment to hate Trump and everyone who likes Trump and simultaneously like everyone who doesn't like Trump. These same people would have voted to have their homes taken from them if it meant voting against Trump

........... then we know what ( I, Dwinsgames, think ) really happened in this 2020 election .....
    Yes, you fogot to pull your head out of your ass because that may be the most ridiculous summation of why there must have been voter fraud I've seen.

Yes, you fogot to pull your head out of your ass because that may be the most ridiculous summation of why there must have been voter fraud I've seen.

Its a lot more compelling than animal pics.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Its a lot more compelling than animal pics.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

so if Popularity ( like almost everyone here says ) equates to votes , then we know what really happened in this 2020 election ...

enjoy your evening all
    No silly, it's not popularity meaning they like Biden, it's popularity meaning they hate Trump.

Also, love trumps hate, remember?

(But no, seriously, anyone who thinks any Democrat got more than about 2% support, after what the Democrats did this year, is sniffing glue. Everybody hates them, and even the tiny flickers of support they got were manufactured, unconvincingly.)

Give a victory speech on an empty stage in the dark, in front of a parking lot full of empty brand-new Jeeps from a dealership. That'll convince us. Sure, we believe you won.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

White supremacy???? How so?

I'll give you terminal narcissism... he's always been that. Braggadocio??? Sure. Most people in power are braggadocio. Grabbing models by the pussy??? I don't condone it, but I'm sure Donald isn't the only male to ever do so.... or to think about it...lol.

Please, do give examples of Trump's white supremacy.

How about his support of the Proud Boys. Remember how reluctant he was to distance himself from them...remember?
    How about some of his comments witnessed by Trump insiders, who quickly became Trump outsiders, when they didn’t support him unequivocally.
    Look, google Trump’s ties to white supremacy, you’ll find more...or, just listen to him.

It won’t matter, your acceptance of his narcissism, braggadocio, and crude behavior says it all about the hold he has over his die-hard supporters.

I asked a very specific question and got very specific answers and a the poll is 6-1 proclaiming its a popularity contest ...

Now the reason I asked such a specific question is because most agree its a popularity contest ( even many of the liberals here )

I got to ask what the likelihood the less popular and when I say less popular I mean DRASTICALLY less popular candidate could win an election , especially one where the sitting President gets more votes than any other sitting president in the history of this nation ...

Ok I know the question I will be getting is how I have determined popularity , I used a very simple test of such and that is social media ...

I used both twitter and Facebook and went to both Trump and Biden's page and took screenshot's the likes and followers of to use as the baseline of "popular"

- - - Updated - - -

roughly 122 million for Trump combined social media platform follows and around 30 million for Biden ...

enjoy your evening all
    So, by examining and dissecting Twitter and Facebook we know what really happened with this election.
    That’s a scientific approach that the sore loser would support for sure.