View Poll Results: are elections Popularity contests ?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • absolutely

6 85.71%
  • absolutely not

1 14.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: are elections glorified Popularity contests ?

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has much to be proud of"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Re: are elections glorified Popularity contests ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Trump is extremely hated by a lot of people. Do you know a lot of people in minority groups? A lot of my friends are black and Asian and they pretty much all hate trump to an extreme except for just a couple
    The Blacks will never wise up. They pretty much get what they ask for. It seems they are happy staying on the democratic plantation.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    To be honest I'd rather have Kanye than honest Joe.
    I believe it.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

To be honest I'd rather have Kanye than senile Joe.
    Hell yeah, hot First Lady to boot.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Trump is extremely hated by a lot of people. Do you know a lot of people in minority groups? A lot of my friends are black and Asian and they pretty much all hate trump to an extreme except for just a couple

People tend to vote for the candidate they feel represents them or understands them, so I can see how Trump would appeal to working class or wealthy White people. However the U.S. is becoming more racially diverse and a lot of minorities don’t feel represented by either party but much less from the party of Trump
    I know quite a few people in those groups, and many of them do indeed harbor an irrational hatred for Trump. However, demographically that is still the minority, and other indicators like a positive overall approval rating (I believe higher than Obama's in his convincing 2012 win), and far higher minority support for Trump than he had in 2016, just don't add up if that is the case.

The story we are being sold is that Trump's support among minorities improved in virtually every major city, and that turnout among minorities was within reasonable expectations, excepting ONLY four or five cities that were located in swing states - where an avalanche of minority mail-in votes came in at 95% Biden with nearly 100% turnout, contrary to the trend everywhere else. None of that passes the statistical smell test.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I know quite a few people in those groups, and many of them do indeed harbor an irrational hatred for Trump. However, demographically that is still the minority, and other indicators like a positive overall approval rating (I believe higher than Obama's in his convincing 2012 win), and far higher minority support for Trump than he had in 2016, just don't add up if that is the case.

The story we are being sold is that Trump's support among minorities improved in virtually every major city, and that turnout among minorities was within reasonable expectations, excepting ONLY four or five cities that were located in swing states - where an avalanche of minority mail-in votes came in at 95% Biden with nearly 100% turnout, contrary to the trend everywhere else. None of that passes the statistical smell test.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I wonder what that jackass posted. Who knows. Oh well.

Anyway, Biden should concede.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Well...might want to check your ironclad math there.

Obama 2012 approval rating in late October - Early November was 52% -- https://news.gallup.com/poll/116479/...-approval.aspx
    Trump 2020 approval rating in late October - Early November was 46% -- https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/...ald-trump.aspx

From the same link as above (https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/...ald-trump.aspx) we can see that Trump was polling like the other incumbent President's that lost.
    Donald Trump's Presidential Job Approval Ratings -- Historical Comparisons

Average for U.S. presidents 53 1938-2020
    Average for elected presidents' 16th quarter 55 various
    Other elected presidents in November of fourth year Barack Obama 51 Nov 2012
    George W. Bush 54 Nov 2004
    Bill Clinton 58 Nov 1996
    George H.W. Bush 43 Nov 1992
    Ronald Reagan 62 Nov 1984
    Jimmy Carter 31 Nov 1980
    Richard Nixon 62 Nov 1972
    ` Dwight Eisenhower 75 Nov 1956

So if you are going to try and cobble together an argument about math and statistics and numbers...maybe don't just say a bunch of random crap talking points you heard somewhere on the internet that are super easy to disprove.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well...might want to check your ironclad math there.

Obama 2012 approval rating in late October - Early November was 52% -- https://news.gallup.com/poll/116479/...-approval.aspx
    Trump 2020 approval rating in late October - Early November was 46% -- https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/...ald-trump.aspx

From the same link as above (https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/...ald-trump.aspx) we can see that Trump was polling like the other incumbent President's that lost.
    Donald Trump's Presidential Job Approval Ratings -- Historical Comparisons

Average for U.S. presidents 53 1938-2020
    Average for elected presidents' 16th quarter 55 various
    Other elected presidents in November of fourth year Barack Obama 51 Nov 2012
    George W. Bush 54 Nov 2004
    Bill Clinton 58 Nov 1996
    George H.W. Bush 43 Nov 1992
    Ronald Reagan 62 Nov 1984
    Jimmy Carter 31 Nov 1980
    Richard Nixon 62 Nov 1972
    ` Dwight Eisenhower 75 Nov 1956

So if you are going to try and cobble together an argument about math and statistics and numbers...maybe don't just say a bunch of random crap talking points you heard somewhere on the internet that are super easy to disprove.
    Depends on which poll you select, but Trump was at 52 percent in late October and people were stunned that it could be equal to Obama. As usual, you haven't disproved shit. Keep at it, though! Maybe someday you will find convincing evidence that everyone actually loves hateful clueless losers and thinks that's the winning strategy. Really likely story.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Anyway, Biden should concede.

- - - Updated - - -

..................... Trump was at 52 percent in late October ..............
    Fact: Trump has never been over 50% during his entire presidency and spent 99% of it below 50%.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I just wanted to be clear and now I am ... Elections are popularity contests unless the results of such and the question posed thereafter puts your stance in a bad light and THEN all the sudden it becomes ... well it is but it isnt so this is why it doesnt fit blah blah blah blah blah ... gotcha

its the same conversation I always get with Liberals they will agree to a premise until that premise doesn't fit their agenda and then all the sudden it is critically flawed ...

I am out

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

The Blacks will never wise up. They pretty much get what they ask for. It seems they are happy staying on the democratic plantation.
    "the blacks"? Its OK, you can say what you really want to....the 3 percenters on this board wont mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I am out
    You've never been in.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I just wanted to be clear and now I am ... Elections are popularity contests unless the results of such and the question posed thereafter puts your stance in a bad light and THEN all the sudden it becomes ... well it is but it isnt so this is why it doesnt fit blah blah blah blah blah ... gotcha

its the same conversation I always get with Liberals they will agree to a premise until that premise doesn't fit their agenda and then all the sudden it is critically flawed ...

I am out
    huh? so what is your point? somehow that elections are popularity contests is some sort of fatal flaw? If so, congratulations...almost everyone agrees with you?

Remember, democracy is the worst form of government except all the others.

Depends on which poll you select, but Trump was at 52 percent in late October and people were stunned that it could be equal to Obama. As usual, you haven't disproved shit. Keep at it, though! Maybe someday you will find convincing evidence that everyone actually loves hateful clueless losers and thinks that's the winning strategy. Really likely story.
    Would that be the Rasmussen Poll? The one that is consistently an outlier compared to any other polling? The organization that hasn't been right since about 2012? The one that omits cellphones? The one that was off by 10 points in the 2018 midterms? The one that has been called out multiple times by independent bodies on being a GOP mouthpiece? Sure...use that one so you can continue to have your Karl Rove-esque meltdown.

Would that be the Rasmussen Poll? The one that is consistently an outlier compared to any other polling? The organization that hasn't been right since about 2012? The one that omits cellphones? The one that was off by 10 points in the 2018 midterms? The one that has been called out multiple times by independent bodies on being a GOP mouthpiece? Sure...use that one so you can continue to have your Karl Rove-esque meltdown.
    THAT post is how you accuse someone of having a meltdown? Always accuse your opponent of that which you are doing yourself, they said. They weren't wrong.

You lost, dude. Get over it.

THAT post is how you accuse someone of having a meltdown? Always accuse your opponent of that which you are doing yourself, they said. They weren't wrong.

You lost, dude. Get over it.
    Another clever retort. Just keep dunking on everyone, don't ya? So few are able to keep up with the massive intellectual advantage you have over all of us 101 IQ folks. It just really isn't fair how you are able to just run circles around everyone.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Seriously anybody who thinks the election is rigged I’ll take $100 bets right now that the election won’t get overturned. Hit me up on PM if interested

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Seriously anybody who thinks the election is rigged I’ll take $100 bets right now that the election won’t get overturned. Hit me up on PM if interested
    It can be rigged, yet still not overturned. Example there was no proof of Russia collusion yet half the country still believes there was. Including Eric SwAllwell , who’s an authority on collusion. Especially pertaining to China

Another clever retort. Just keep dunking on everyone, don't ya? So few are able to keep up with the massive intellectual advantage you have over all of us 101 IQ folks. It just really isn't fair how you are able to just run circles around everyone.
    Lots of people able to keep up ... just not you.

That will happen when your entire worldview is that you will fight tooth and nail to defend a gaslighting campaign because you were one of the first ones who fell for it. That's all you've got. It's pathetic.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Of course it won't get overturned. That doesn't mean there was no shenanigans going on. Everyone will believe what they will/want. Nothing anyone says is going to change anyone's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Of course it won't get overturned. That doesn't mean there was no shenanigans going on. Everyone will believe what they will/want. Nothing anyone says is going to change anyone's mind.
    "Overturned" is not the right word. There is no official winner anywhere except in the media. They are still contesting several states with a total of about 80 electoral votes that will decide the winner.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Everyone will believe what they will/want.
    This has nothing to do with belief. This isn't religion. Well, it is for you, but it isn't religion for those of us who can think.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    This has nothing to do with belief. This isn't religion. Well, it is for you, but it isn't religion for those of us who can think.
    Okay.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has much to be proud of"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Hell yeah, hot First Lady to boot.
    That first lady we have now is pretty hot also!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    "the blacks"? Its OK, you can say what you really want to....the 3 percenters on this board wont mind.
    What would you like me to say, to make you feel better?

That first lady we have now is pretty hot also!
    And a vacuous facade.

And vacuous.
    Yet she speaks 5 languages. English not being first. And you with English as first communicates best with monkey pics. Go play bingo you demented fool.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Yet she speaks 5 languages............................Go play bingo you demented fool.
    No she doesn't but I'm not surprised you fell for that you drooling halfwit.

A Washington Post reporter’s biography of the first lady, published in June, and other reports have delved into whether Melania Trump actually is proficient in anything more than her native Slovenian and her acquired English. The first lady has said that she also speaks French, Italian and German.

Mary Jordan, the author of “The Art of Her Deal: The Untold Story of Melania Trump,” wrote that she wasn’t able to independently confirm the extent of Melania Trump’s language abilities.

“I couldn’t find any videos showing her fluency in anything other than Slovenian and English,” Jordan wrote. “I asked the White House if they could point to any evidence, and they did not respond.”

Jordan reported in her book that Melania Trump was seen relying on interpreters during diplomatic visits to Italy and France. Videos of those visits show the first lady using a few basic and universally known words such as “bonjour” and “ciao” when meeting European dignitaries or when visiting children in hospitals and schools.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/...new-biography/

BTW, remember this?:

Last edited by tom444; 12-10-2020 at 05:07 AM.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

No she doesn't but I'm not surprised you fell for that you drooling halfwit.
    From cnn so it has to be true.

Melania Trump Fast Facts

CNN Editorial Research

Speaks six languages: Slovenian, French, Serbian, German, Italian and English.
    https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/us/me...cts/index.html

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Note the date on that section of the URL: https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/us/me...cts/index.html

Mach 1

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Bhaaa says the sheep

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ