Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Steelers Covid 19 list

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: UPDATE: Steelers Covid 19 list

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It’s steelers on a Covid list. Not what Covid is or isn’t or what it means to you or me. Lol. There’s plenty other soapbox threads to debate Covid.
    Covid has not only affected society, sports and entertainment, but also every thread that remotely refers to it. Hell probably took over a few that didn't have anything to do with covid what-so-ever. Its pretty ridiculous

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Covid has not only affected society, sports and entertainment, but also every thread that remotely refers to it. He'll probably took over a few that didn't have anything to do with covid what-so-ever. Its pretty ridiculous
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It’s steelers on a Covid list. Not what Covid is or isn’t or what it means to you or me. Lol. There’s plenty other soapbox threads to debate Covid.
    Then post something worth changing the conversation. I guess we can debate our opinions on what is included as the topic for conversation. I've made zero political statements here. I posted #53 in reaction to the ongoing thread conversation. Stillers4me responded to that. I responded to her. NCSteeler then responded to that response. Nobody went into anything political. All Covid protocol related. But I'll stop. What would you like to 'talk' about regarding this thread topic?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah, I tried! We call on you Mods!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

So, are any Steelers on the Wuhan virus list, I skimmed through what seemed like 100’s of posts about stupid arguing, but didn’t come across any lists of players?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    So, are any Steelers on the Wuhan virus list, I skimmed through what seemed like 100’s of posts about stupid arguing, but didn’t come across any lists of players?
    First-contact list:
    -Tuitt
    -Buggs
    -Hawkins

Tested positive (but no signs):
    -Conner

Not participating in game, but unclear why:
    -Coach Canada

Not participating in game, but no one cares:
    -Danny Smith

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

UPDATE: Steelers Covid 19 list

I wonder in Canada being out will affect the offensive play calls...kinda sucks not to have his ideas there. Wonder if he can do it remotely...on zoom in the press box or something.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    First-contact list:
    -Tuitt
    -Buggs
    -Hawkins

-Conner

-Coach Canada

-Danny Smith

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I wonder in Canada being out will affect the offensive play calls...kinda sucks not to have his ideas there. Wonder if he can do it remotely...on zoom in the press box or something.
    No motions so it will be back to Fichtner plays only!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    First-contact list:
    -Tuitt
    -Buggs
    -Hawkins

-Conner

-Coach Canada

-Danny Smith
    I thought Tuitt had the virus. I thought I read something where he said that it’s really bad and he wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I thought Tuitt had the virus. I thought I read something where he said that it’s really bad and he wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
    I'm sure there may be some, but I haven't read of one account where a player was on the COVID list as positive and was actually sick.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm sure there may be some, but I haven't read of one account where a player was on the COVID list as positive and was actually sick.
    This. Every player in all the major sports that has tested positive for this has never been "sick".

I can only speak from personal experience. My 20 year old niece had it a month ago and I just saw her over Thanksgiving. She said she felt like she had the flu for about two days with aches, headaches and a small fever then was fine on the third day. She plays division 2 soccer and said she felt tired in practice for a about a week after returning and then was fine soccer wise. In other words it was just like the regular flu to her. Now I know if you have other medical issues it isn't so cut and dry but there is no reason to think anyone in their 20's/30's (especially professional athletes) would be at risk if they contract it.

Again I'm not downplaying this, just stating facts. The rest of us should follow protocol and keep those that cannot fight this thing safe. Hopefully these vaccines work and we can get back to normal. I'm in my 50's and really think I had this last February when I had a "flu" that really knocked me on my butt for about a week (longer and harder than any other flu I've ever had). As soon as anti-body testing is readily available I will be getting one. Because if you are immune to it after contracting it there would be no reason for someone like me to get a vaccine. We just need more science on this to come out.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Multiple athletes at all levels, including the NFL have gotten "sick" from this.

"Buffalo Bills tight end Tommy Sweeney developed myocarditis stemming from his bout with Covid-19 and will be out the rest of the season." -- https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/26/...isks-covid-19/

"...he has reportedly been hospitalized twice and continues to struggle with “significant respiratory issues” among other problems." -- https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-ryquell...222212695.html

Several college and high school level athletes have been hospitalized over serious complications and at least two I have read of have died. Several coaches at non-professional levels have died.

I actually agree with much of what has been posted here, but it seems that depending on where you get your news...there is a tendency to minimize all this. Does the average NFL player actually have a far better shot than my fat out of shape ass at beating this and coming out totally fine? Absolutely. But to pretend that they are not rolling some serious dice (even if it is only one or two dice) is not fair to everyone involved either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Multiple athletes at all levels, including the NFL have gotten "sick" from this.

"Buffalo Bills tight end Tommy Sweeney developed myocarditis stemming from his bout with Covid-19 and will be out the rest of the season." -- https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/26/...isks-covid-19/

"...he has reportedly been hospitalized twice and continues to struggle with “significant respiratory issues” among other problems." -- https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-ryquell...222212695.html

Several college and high school level athletes have been hospitalized over serious complications and at least two I have read of have died. Several coaches at non-professional levels have died.

I actually agree with much of what has been posted here, but it seems that depending on where you get your news...there is a tendency to minimize all this. Does the average NFL player actually have a far better shot than my fat out of shape ass at beating this and coming out totally fine? Absolutely. But to pretend that they are not rolling some serious dice (even if it is only one or two dice) is not fair to everyone involved either.
    Okay now read my slant:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201122...ue-to-covid-19

This article was originally on John Hopkins.

Like I said in my original post, if you have underlying conditions bad shit can happen. In most of these cases they always say, "they had no KNOWN underlying conditions". That just means they weren't known. There are lots of stories of young athletes getting hit in games or practice and dying. Again I'm not down playing this just pointing out the fact that the chances of any of these guys dying is minuscule.

All these other numbers are being ignored. Again why haven't all the homeless people in cities been ravished with this diseased? They are clearly vulnerable yet somehow there aren't scores of bodies lying under overpasses.
    Last edited by EzraTank; 11-30-2020 at 12:52 PM.

I'm actually concerned for Conner because of his recent medical past.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Okay now read my slant:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201122...ue-to-covid-19

This article was originally on John Hopkins.

Like I said in my original post, if you have underlying conditions bad shit can happen. In most of these cases they always say, "they had no KNOWN underlying conditions". That just means they weren't know. There are lots of stories of young athletes getting hit in games or practice and dying. Again I'm not down playing this just pointing out the fact that the chances of any of these guys dying is minuscule.

All these other numbers are being ignored. Again why haven't all the homeless people in cities been ravished with this diseased? They are clearly vulnerable yet somehow there aren't scores of bodies lying under overpasses.
    Ok. That is different than what you said. What you said is that no one has gotten sick and that no athlete has had worse than the flu. That is demonstrably false. And that was my only point.

I totally agree that the age cohort and physical conditioning of athletes in the NCAA and professional sports position them as extremely likely to contract and recover from COVID with an incredibly small chance at catastrophic outcomes. But there is a more than "zero" or "none". And I figure it isn't my role to judge risk for NFL players.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

How can the most talked about subject in the world be minimized? If we talked about car wreck fatalities like we do covid we'd all be afraid to drive to the market.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

It’s really true that anecdotes don’t equal data. A lot of times humans try to extrapolate things based on our immediate experiences.

If you don’t personally know someone in otherwise good health who has suffered greatly or died from this disease then it can seem like we’re all making too big a deal out of it. I’ve only talked in detail to one friend, 30s no underlying issues, who had it and was hospitalized and on a ventilator for about a week. He said it was absolute hell and not like a normal flu. Obviously there are so many people with totally different experiences across the board.

What I know is this, money and incentives rarely lie. This pandemic puts SO much money at risk for the NFL (and so many other rich and powerful entities) that they would be SO insentivized to downplay it or ignore it if they could. It has to be a pretty big deal to have them in such a flutter.

I’m also pretty sure that anyone who claims to know the REAL truth, or the objectively best way to handle it is full of shit. History will probably one day reveal what we did right and wrong. In the meantime I think most of us tend to err on whatever our preconceived ideas were.

My emotions want the season to go on with as little disruption as possible, but I admit that I can’t possibly know what the best possible approach is. I hope fairness also comes into play, but I realize why it can’t always be the first priority.

I apologize if any of my posts come off as condescending or harsh. I am as clueless as anyone else about everything. I just want the best outcomes for everyone, and I don’t want to be cavalier with other people’s lives.

Yet I know there is always a calculus of safety to efficiency, and there isn’t a simple obvious answer.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    As much as I like these three, especially Tuitt, I do not think they are a good choice for first contact. Shouldn't it at least be scientists or astronauts or something?
    Josh Dobbs would be able to handle that part.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    As much as I like these three, especially Tuitt, I do not think they are a good choice for first contact. Shouldn't it at least be scientists or astronauts or something?
    Nah. Harrison or Peezy would make great choices. First impressions and all

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Josh Dobbs would be able to handle that part.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    How can the most talked about subject in the world be minimized? If we talked about car wreck fatalities like we do covid we'd all be afraid to drive to the market.

One of the big difference is how much our actions affect other people. We don’t have to think about this in terms of fear. Although kindness and empathy don’t tend to insentivize enough people, so maybe fear is necessary, but unfortunate.

It’s weird how compliant we are about wearing pants, which is only an arbitrary social norm. I don’t see a whole lot of people screaming about the fear of nudity. Yet when it comes to pretty simple garment to be worn that could impact the lives of millions, suddenly everyone wants to be free from it.

I’m generally a libertarian. I’m okay with you choosing not to wear a seatbelt due to personal liberty, but I’m not okay with you driving drunk.

I hate these economic shutdowns and draconian overkill. But it’s so damn depressing that we just a few idiots who refuse to wear masks at Walmart (or in the Ravens training room) mess everything up for the rest of us.

If everyone just did everything right up until now, this disease would pretty much be gone. I hate that we live in a world where a smallish percentage of idiots can absolutely wreck everything for everyone else.

At least drunk driving isn’t contagious.

We somehow managed to get near 100% compliance on seatbelts even though you aren’t really messing with other people’s lives on that.

I don’t know what the perfect amount of “fear” is for this pandemic, but I wish there wasn’t even a question about the perfect amount of kindness was.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

One of the big difference is how much our actions affect other people. We don’t have to think about this in terms of fear. Although kindness and empathy don’t tend to insentivize enough people, so maybe fear is necessary, but unfortunate.

It’s weird how compliant we are about wearing pants, which is only an arbitrary social norm. I don’t see a whole lot of people screaming about the fear of nudity. Yet when it comes to pretty simple garment to be worn that could impact the lives of millions, suddenly everyone wants to be free from it.

I’m generally a libertarian. I’m okay with you choosing not to wear a seatbelt due to personal liberty, but I’m not okay with you driving drunk.

I hate these economic shutdowns and draconian overkill. But it’s so damn depressing that we just a few idiots who refuse to wear masks at Walmart (or in the Ravens training room) mess everything up for the rest of us.

If everyone just did everything right up until now, this disease would pretty much be gone. I hate that we live in a world where a smallish percentage of idiots can absolutely wreck everything for everyone else.

At least drunk driving isn’t contagious.

We somehow managed to get near 100% compliance on seatbelts even though you aren’t really messing with other people’s lives on that.

I don’t know what the perfect amount of “fear” is for this pandemic, but I wish there wasn’t even a question about the perfect amount of kindness was.
    Now that we've all been working from home for the better part of a year, I'll posit the assertion that the pants-wearing compliance isn't nearly as high as you think it is.

Wait...you guys wear pants when working from home? PSSSSHHHHWWWWWW.

I'm going old school news anchor. Business on the top and shorts on the bottom!

This. Every player in all the major sports that has tested positive for this has never been "sick".

I can only speak from personal experience. My 20 year old niece had it a month ago and I just saw her over Thanksgiving. She said she felt like she had the flu for about two days with aches, headaches and a small fever then was fine on the third day. She plays division 2 soccer and said she felt tired in practice for a about a week after returning and then was fine soccer wise. In other words it was just like the regular flu to her. Now I know if you have other medical issues it isn't so cut and dry but there is no reason to think anyone in their 20's/30's (especially professional athletes) would be at risk if they contract it.

Again I'm not downplaying this, just stating facts. The rest of us should follow protocol and keep those that cannot fight this thing safe. Hopefully these vaccines work and we can get back to normal. I'm in my 50's and really think I had this last February when I had a "flu" that really knocked me on my butt for about a week (longer and harder than any other flu I've ever had). As soon as anti-body testing is readily available I will be getting one. Because if you are immune to it after contracting it there would be no reason for someone like me to get a vaccine. We just need more science on this to come out.
    Von Miller. Still having issues.

It’s really true that anecdotes don’t equal data. A lot of times humans try to extrapolate things based on our immediate experiences.

If you don’t personally know someone in otherwise good health who has suffered greatly or died from this disease then it can seem like we’re all making too big a deal out of it. I’ve only talked in detail to one friend, 30s no underlying issues, who had it and was hospitalized and on a ventilator for about a week. He said it was absolute hell and not like a normal flu. Obviously there are so many people with totally different experiences across the board.

What I know is this, money and incentives rarely lie. This pandemic puts SO much money at risk for the NFL (and so many other rich and powerful entities) that they would be SO insentivized to downplay it or ignore it if they could. It has to be a pretty big deal to have them in such a flutter.

I’m also pretty sure that anyone who claims to know the REAL truth, or the objectively best way to handle it is full of shit. History will probably one day reveal what we did right and wrong. In the meantime I think most of us tend to err on whatever our preconceived ideas were.

My emotions want the season to go on with as little disruption as possible, but I admit that I can’t possibly know what the best possible approach is. I hope fairness also comes into play, but I realize why it can’t always be the first priority.

I apologize if any of my posts come off as condescending or harsh. I am as clueless as anyone else about everything. I just want the best outcomes for everyone, and I don’t want to be cavalier with other people’s lives.

Yet I know there is always a calculus of safety to efficiency, and there isn’t a simple obvious answer.
    And your post covers a lot of stuff I agree with. As for the money piece, look at it from another angle as well. The people who's wealth has grown IMMENSELY since these "lock downs" are the big box stores and their owners or corporate owners. Bezos's wealth has grown ridiculously. The small local businesses not so much, if they even have survived. Why can a place like Planet Fitness can be open but not a local gym?

That's why I was so pissed when this was made political. NO WORLD LEADER had any idea how to deal with this and they ALL said stupid shit about it last February. But to pin it all on Trump was ridiculous and one of the main reasons he lost the election (that and massive fraud, but that's another topic).

This really is a weird situation, but in the history of mankind during many pandemics, never has the world been stopped like this. Heck in 1968 the Hong Kong flu killed around 2 million people world wide yet we continued to fight the Vietnam war, hold a national election (without bullshit mail in ballots) but now this is different? But as you said NO one has the answers right now and for either side to pretend they do or point at the other side and call them out for the very things they were doing (I'm thinking Andrew Cuomo sending people to nursing homes) is disgusting.
    Last edited by EzraTank; 12-01-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Wait...you guys wear pants when working from home? PSSSSHHHHWWWWWW.

I'm going old school news anchor. Business on the top and shorts on the bottom!
    Cant make me wear pants!! Can't take away my freedom like that!!

Cant make me get tested for Covid either. I'll wear the Danny Smith salad bar face shield, but only because its double the protection from ecoli at the all you can eat buffet.

Well let's laugh instead:

And your post covers a lot of stuff I agree with. As for the money piece, look at it from another angle as well. The people who's wealth has grown IMMENSELY since these "lock downs" are the big box stores and their owners or corporate owners. Bezos's wealth has grown ridiculously. The small local businesses not so much, if they even have survived. Why can a place like Planet Fitness can be open but not a local gym?

That's why I was so pissed when this was made political. NO WORLD LEADER had any idea how to deal with this and they ALL said stupid shit about it last February. But to pin it all on Trump was ridiculous and one of the main reasons he lost the election (that and massive fraud, but that's another topic).

This really is a weird situation, but in the history of mankind during many pandemics, never has the world been stopped like this. Heck in 1968 the Hong Kong flu killed around 2 million people world wide yet we continued to fight the Vietnam war, hold a national election (without bullshit mail in ballots) but now this is different? But has you said NO one has the answers right now and for either side to pretend they do or point at the other side and call them out for the very things they were doing (I'm thinking Andrew Cuomo sending people to nursing homes) is disgusting.
    Yeah, I’m not a fan of politicizing this stuff. I know politicians will do it because they are incentivized to exploit every thing to their advantage.

It’s just bizarre to me that people with different political opinions divide along those lines with Covid. It just baffles me that being a Trump supporter or hater can somehow predict what you think about masks, social distancing, and even a vaccine.

I’m not a fan of Trump, but he certainly didn’t cause this. I hate Cuomo and think he handles everything as badly as humanly possible.

I just wish we could count on each other more. I’m a Hollywood guy (hence my moniker) and it baffles me how much out right hate there is in my industry for people who disagree with them politically.
    I have friends and family who support Trump, and I know that none of them are racist or evil.

I really hate the troll mentality that’s emerged along both sides of the divide. Like the tears of your political rivals are a prize to relish in.

Like I said, I don’t claim to know what the perfect calculus of risk to action is. I know that wearing a mask at the store won’t kill you. Just do it to err on the side of kindness and humanity, not because anyone is forcing you to. It’s probably not going to solve everything but it’s a no risk, high reward action. Don’t go to rallies and breathe all over each other just to prove that you can.

And the silly conspiracies about Tom Hanks and child raping satanic cabals just aren’t helping anything. It just gives fuel to those who already think their political adversaries are brain dead.

Most conspiracies just don’t pan out. Even if some big box guys are making money, they are mostly older dudes who care about their families as much as the rest of us. Jeff Bezos isn’t interested in destroying the world and risking the health of everyone to become more of a billionaire. He just isn’t.

We should all just care about each other because we can. The future will look back and mock the Qannons of the world along with the Cumos.