Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Balls and Goats (Jag's Game) Week #11

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Game Balls and Goats (Jag's Game) Week #11

Game ball: Team.

Goats: Slow start, running game, play calls!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Game Balls and Goats (Jag's Game) Week #11

Last time a starting safety duo intercept two passes each?
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Dong win!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Run blocking is downright bad. At this point I wouldn't mind if they just adopted a west coast offense and just ran it occasionally to keep the defense off balance

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Game ball, WR room

Goats, running game hard to fault the line too much cause they are mostly keeping Ben clean, but damn we need some run blocking. A blocking TE, more Watt idk what the answer is.

Missing Munch

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Gameballs...Defense and Diontae. Ravens lose.

Goats...playcalling and Mason Rudolph.

10-0 is 10-0. We definitely should have put 30 points on the board, but we got out of the game mostly healthy. Hopefully Juju's injury is minor. Onto the Ratbirds!

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post

Missing Munch

THIS ^^^^. I said it weeks ago.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Game Goat (get it out of the way): 1st quarter performance. Looked like the start of your typical Tomlin egglay

Game Ball: Team performance the rest of the way. Really nice to see blowout wins in back-back weeks. Special game balls to Diontae Johnson for a dozen receptions and over 100 yards and both starting safeties with 2 INTs a piece.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Team looks like shit early = Tomlin's fault.

Team plays well the rest of the way = players did it all.

Typical...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Game Goat (get it out of the way): 1st quarter performance. Looked like the start of your typical Tomlin egglay

Game Ball: Team performance the rest of the way. Really nice to see blowout wins in back-back weeks. Special game balls to Diontae Johnson for a dozen receptions and over 100 yards and both starting safeties with 2 INTs a piece.
    Do you blame Tomlin for the first miss FG of the season of Boswell in the first quarter?

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Game ball Team taking care of bidness.

Goat. I guess the slow start, but the Jags aren't a Mac team so.....

I won't put the running game in the goat category. Honestly, we had 107 yards. Conner had 80 some (25 on 1 carry?) . At this point if we can run for 100 yards against anybody I"ll take it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Game Balls - Safeties and defense, Ben, Diontae Johnson

Goats - play-calling and run blocking. Both have been pretty terrible. These guys should’ve put up another 21 points if not for some crap play calls. Who runs a draw on 2nd &12...knowing that the play isn’t successful...ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Do you blame Tomlin for the first miss FG of the season of Boswell in the first quarter?
    That miss was on Canady imo, he's had his share of low snaps this year.

OFFENSE:

Game Balls: None.

Goats: None.

This felt like just a day at the office for the offense. There was nothing spectacular. Ben's throws felt more on target throughout the game, which was a good sign. But only RR McCloud, Conner, and Schuster caught an above average number of balls tossed to them, and the first two were mainly short throws and catches, if I remember correctly.

HM: Conner. Almost had 100 yards and may have if they kept him in the game.

DEFENSE:

Game Balls: DBs. All the way around. Every person receiving the ball had less than a fifty percent reception rate except for three players who caught a total of 5 passes for 18 yards. But a special shoutout to Fitzpatrick and Edmunds with two INTs each.

HM: Coaches. When you hold an NFL QB to 12.3 QBR and ESPN RTG of 15.5 (Last year, Mason and Devlin had a QBR of 82/71 respectively, and a ESPN RTG of 36.8/30.6 respectively), you're doing something right. Two weeks ago, he had a 90.2 and 80.1. And, on top of that, the Steelers held the rushing to 73 yards.
    I do have a concern however. Despite Conner having 89 yards, why are we still trying to run outside the tackles? Why are we trying to force feed runs when they're not working? I understand wearing teams down. But that's not working. Two many 3rd and longs today because they tried different running plays. Of course, if there ever was a game to do so and try to get the running game on track, this would've been the one to do it in.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    OFFENSE:

Game Balls: None.

Goats: None.

This felt like just a day at the office for the offense. There was nothing spectacular. Ben's throws felt more on target throughout the game, which was a good sign. But only RR McCloud, Conner, and Schuster caught an above average number of balls tossed to them, and the first two were mainly short throws and catches, if I remember correctly.

HM: Conner. Almost had 100 yards and may have if they kept him in the game.

DEFENSE:

Game Balls: DBs. All the way around. Every person receiving the ball had less than a fifty percent reception rate except for three players who caught a total of 5 passes for 18 yards. But a special shoutout to Fitzpatrick and Edmunds with two INTs each.

HM: Coaches. When you hold an NFL QB to 12.3 QBR and ESPN RTG of 15.5 (Last year, Mason and Devlin had a QBR of 82/71 respectively, and a ESPN RTG of 36.8/30.6 respectively), you're doing something right. Two weeks ago, he had a 90.2 and 80.1. And, on top of that, the Steelers held the rushing to 73 yards.
    I do have a concern however. Despite Conner having 89 yards, why are we still trying to run outside the tackles? Why are we trying to force feed runs when they're not working? I understand wearing teams down. But that's not working. Two many 3rd and longs today because they tried different running plays. Of course, if there ever was a game to do so and try to get the running game on track, this would've been the one to do it in.
    So Diontae didn't catch an unusual number if balls? Lol

Anyhow I was hoping once we got up they would use this as a chance to work on the run game

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I blame that on the shitty snap because that's why he missed.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Diontae has a chance to be special. His arrow is pointing way up. I love the INTs from the safeties.

27-3 win on the road in a trap game and some people can only complain.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Game Ball to James Conner. 13 carries for 89 yards, and 3 receptions for 10 yards. Total 16 touches for 99 yards.

Game Ball to Minkah and Terrell. 2 INTs each. That ends 4 drives.

Game Ball to the front 7 defensively. 16 tackles with 2 sacks.

Game Ball to the WR room. 29 receptions for 257 yards and 2 TDs.

Game Ball to Jordan Berry. 5 punts for a 43 yard average and dropping 2 inside the 20.

Game Ball to Ray-Ray for being the Swiss Army Knife today. 1 rush for 3 yards, 4 receptions for 20 yards, and 3 punt returns for 19 yards.

Game Ball to Big Ben. 32 of 46 passing with 2 TDs.

It takes a team to win any game.

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Game Balls: Johnson, Ben, Edmunds and Fitzpatrick
    Goats: Decision to run a play rather than take 3 points with 9 seconds before halftime after being gifted an opportunity to add points and receiving the 2nd half kickoff, whoever called 46 pass plays today

Istina

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    So Diontae didn't catch an unusual number if balls? Lol

Anyhow I was hoping once we got up they would use this as a chance to work on the run game

No, he didn't. LOL.

He caught 12 balls on 16 targets. That's a 75 percent rate. It's good, and much better than last week where he was just above .500. But for game balls, I'm looking at 80 percent or better. For instance, against Dallas, JuJu had 6 receptions on 7 targets. Game before that, Juju had 7/8 and Ebron had 4/5. Gameballs for Wide Receivers (and TEs playing like them) are for players who go above and beyond—who, for some reason in a game, become almost a sure thing or explode for big numbers after a catch. Diontae was 12 for 16, 111 yards. Very solid work, but the total body of work beyond the stats just didn't garner a game ball from me.

But sure, I'll at least add him to the list of players who caught and above-average number of balls thrown.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Team looks like shit early = Tomlin's fault.

Team plays well the rest of the way = players did it all.

Typical...
    So true.

Also, nobody wants to mention Ben missing Claypool early on by throwing the deep ball over his outside shoulder, instead of inside for a TD. or missing Johnson on a 3rd down slant that would have moved the chains. Lots of fingers to point one way and not other ways.

Not a crisp performance at all, buy nothing like the Dallas game. Winning ugly still counts as a win. Also better to be playing your best football in January instead of Nov.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Game Balls and Goats (Jag's Game) Week #11

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So true.

Also, nobody wants to mention Ben missing Claypool early on by throwing the deep ball over his outside shoulder, instead of inside for a TD. or missing Johnson on a 3rd down slant that would have moved the chains. Lots of fingers to point one way and not other ways.

Not a crisp performance at all, buy nothing like the Dallas game. Winning ugly still counts as a win. Also better to be playing your best football in January instead of Nov.
    Winning Ugly? I think we were resting guys as soon as we got a decent lead, Conner out early, rotating out the LBs and DL earlier than usual. We won handily and cruised to an easy win today.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Diontae has a chance to be special. His arrow is pointing way up. I love the INTs from the safeties.

27-3 win on the road in a trap game and some people can only complain.
    James Conner didn't run for 400 yards and they didn't win by 70 pts. Dong win

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Winning Ugly? I think we were resting guys as soon as we got a decent lead, Conner out early, rotating out the LBs and DL earlier than usual. We won handily and cruised to an easy win today.
    Have you watched the game yet? Steelers didnt convert a lot of 3rd downs (7 for 17) and often punted or had to settle for FG attempts against a really bad Jags team with a QB that we couldnt pick out of a lineup. I know people want to give Ben an MVP trophy, but an 89.7 passer rating against that 1 win Jags team and a 17-3 lead after 3 quarters isnt exactly impressive, nor efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    That miss was on Canady imo, he's had his share of low snaps this year.
    I agree on this but this is still not the fault on Tomlin for this play!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I agree on this but this is still not the fault on Tomlin for this play!

Agreed

any news on Joe Haden?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    any news on Joe Haden?
    He is fine

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Have you watched the game yet? Steelers didnt convert a lot of 3rd downs (7 for 17) and often punted or had to settle for FG attempts against a really bad Jags team with a QB that we couldnt pick out of a lineup. I know people want to give Ben an MVP trophy, but an 89.7 passer rating against that 1 win Jags team and a 17-3 lead after 3 quarters isnt exactly impressive, nor efficient.

No doubt that they didn't have their best stuff going for most of the game. That's what makes it impressive that they still roll a team on the road by 3+ scores.

They have much to work on, but they are still winning comfortably while also getting backup players some playing time. Those backups are logging quality snaps and playing well. That added depth and experience is encouraging that they can withstand some injuries or have another player to turn to in a big spot without the level of concern that there would have been over the last several years.

The aren't digging deep into the playbook in many of these games. They aren't showing everything they have or doing everything they can do IMO. They may be saving some wrinkles and play design in later games and the playoffs when they really need it.

The offensive line is becoming a worry to me with some bad run blocking. They also need to get some TE's healthy to help with that, but I also think that the play calling hasn't always been complementary so far. If Fichtner is going to keep using jet sweeps and jet sweep motion, he needs to also complement that with runs between the tackles to take advantage of the motion to get the defense to take a half step or hesitation to give your blockers an advantage to get winning position on some run plays. I don't understand some of the calls in the running game from a situational standpoint and a complementary play calling standpoint. They aren't helping the players at all with some of this stuff or putting them in the best position to succeed at times.

I'm hoping they figure some of this stuff out.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

COACHES:
    On the Jags’ first series, it seemed like the Steelers were rushing 7. Luton took advantage of this a couple of times by hitting an open receiver for 15-18 yards a pop. Bingo!!!.. the Jags open up with a FG.

From that point on, the Steelers only rushed 4... but, Luton didn’t know which four. It seemed like he started hearing footsteps, and thinking he’d have those open receivers (like he did on the first series), Luton threw into a bevy of Steelers DBs. The result was 4 interceptions, which realistically could have been 9 interceptions (Bud dropped a pick-six; Sutton dropped a pick-six, Nelson dropped a pick-six, and at least two other balls were “interceptable”).

Lose the battle (give up the early FG) and win the war (INTs in droves).

FITCHNER:
    I said it elsewhere, but it bears iteration: the Jags were down to 5 DBs total... yet, Fitchner continued to run the ball.

FLAGS (LACK THEREOF):
    I don’t like complaining about the refs, but it seemed like the Jags DBs were extra grabby. Ebron should have had a TD, but he was mugged and also held. I saw Claypool get hit at the 10-yard mark, knocked into at the 20-yard mark, and held at the 25-yard mark... all on ONE incomplete pass.

At the end of the first half, the Jags DB (finally) got called for DPI. (It was a smart penalty, because it would have been a TD.) On the next play, Washington got re-routed (knocked over?) which led to Ben throwing an INT. Some will say it was inadvertent contact; others will say it was pass interference. Regardless, the way the refs were allowing the Jags to hold, it didn’t surprise me.

FLAGS (PART II):
    The ref throwing the flag in front of JuJu as JuJu stepped... causing an injury. ARGH!!!