Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Balls and Goats (Jag's Game) Week #11

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Game Balls and Goats (Jag's Game) Week #11

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    No doubt that they didn't have their best stuff going for most of the game. That's what makes it impressive that they still roll a team on the road by 3+ scores.

They have much to work on, but they are still winning comfortably while also getting backup players some playing time. Those backups are logging quality snaps and playing well. That added depth and experience is encouraging that they can withstand some injuries or have another player to turn to in a big spot without the level of concern that there would have been over the last several years.

The aren't digging deep into the playbook in many of these games. They aren't showing everything they have or doing everything they can do IMO. They may be saving some wrinkles and play design in later games and the playoffs when they really need it.

The offensive line is becoming a worry to me with some bad run blocking. They also need to get some TE's healthy to help with that, but I also think that the play calling hasn't always been complementary so far. If Fichtner is going to keep using jet sweeps and jet sweep motion, he needs to also complement that with runs between the tackles to take advantage of the motion to get the defense to take a half step or hesitation to give your blockers an advantage to get winning position on some run plays. I don't understand some of the calls in the running game from a situational standpoint and a complementary play calling standpoint. They aren't helping the players at all with some of this stuff or putting them in the best position to succeed at times.

I'm hoping they figure some of this stuff out.
    I’m probably not as concerned about the OLine as some others here, mainly because, with the amount of balls Ben is throwing he has only been sacked 10 times and none in the last three games. That may be what their concentration is on, since our more talented weapons are the receivers. I would like to see a more consistent run game but Conners had several big running plays.........I’m amazed at how many QBs have been sacked 30+ times in 10 games......some are over 40.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Gameball to the Defense

The Goat is the ref who threw the flag Juju twisted his foot on... what's in there, ball bearings!?!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I’m probably not as concerned about the OLine as some others here, mainly because, with the amount of balls Ben is throwing he has only been sacked 10 times and none in the last three games. That may be what their concentration is on, since our more talented weapons are the receivers. I would like to see a more consistent run game but Conners had several big running plays.........I’m amazed at how many QBs have been sacked 30+ times in 10 games......some are over 40.

I'm not banging on the OL. They're doing well with pass protection, but Ben has helped them a lot by getting rid of the ball so quickly, and they have made the quick passing an extension of the run game.

I also think that the coaches can help this OL run block with some better play calling. That's why I bring it up in the post you quoted. If they start using some fast-hitting inside runs off of that jet sweep action, I really think it will help the OL and the entire offense. The jet sweep plays will work better. The running game in general will work better. The better running game will open up the passing game even more by bringing defenders closer to the LOS.

This team can still get much better IMO. They are keeping things pretty vanilla offensively. The defense is playing well. The backup players are getting it done on the field.

There's a lot to like about what this team is doing and the possibilities going forward.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Another detail that keeps getting overlooked was the TE situation yesterday. We have 3 TEs: 2 who can block, and 1 who can catch. One of the two blocking TEs was home eating chicken soup, while the other one was in the locker room before the 2nd quarter. That left only Eric "Not-exactly-a-human-bulldozer" Ebron as the only active TE for the game. Of course the run game was going to suffer. It'll look a helluva lot better when Vance returns.

Jacksonville also looked like Baltimore v2.0 with their run game yesterday. They were going against our 2's and 3's at DL and LB for much of the game - it's to be expected, and it also helped that the refs decided to call holding against JAX about as strictly as an amateur judo match.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Gameball to the Defense

The Goat is the ref who threw the flag Juju twisted his foot on... what's in there, ball bearings!?!
    "Do you need a refresher course? It's all ball-bearings!"

Bonus kudos to anyone who can name the movie!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    "Do you need a refresher course? It's all ball-bearings!"

Bonus kudos to anyone who can name the movie!
    I’ll ask Dr. Rosenrosen...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’ll ask Dr. Rosenrosen...
    Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo?
    You using the whole fist, doc?

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

You using the whole fist, doc?
    Stangers in the niiiight ... exchanging clothing. Strangers in my pants ...

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Stangers in the niiiight ... exchanging clothing. Strangers in my pants ...
    -Baber... isn’t there a children’s book about elephant by that name?

-I don’t know... I don’t have any.

-Children?

-Books about elephants.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Gameball to the Defense

Oh, and Goat to Ian Eagle for his double down "Hasn't missed jinx" followed by his "Graphic Jinx" on Boswell's 1st FG attempt... Jagoff!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

-Baber... isn’t there a children’s book about elephant by that name?

-I don’t know... I don’t have any.

-Children?

-Books about elephants.
    Babar!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Another detail that keeps getting overlooked was the TE situation yesterday. We have 3 TEs: 2 who can block, and 1 who can catch. One of the two blocking TEs was home eating chicken soup, while the other one was in the locker room before the 2nd quarter. That left only Eric "Not-exactly-a-human-bulldozer" Ebron as the only active TE for the game. Of course the run game was going to suffer. It'll look a helluva lot better when Vance returns.

Jacksonville also looked like Baltimore v2.0 with their run game yesterday. They were going against our 2's and 3's at DL and LB for much of the game - it's to be expected, and it also helped that the refs decided to call holding against JAX about as strictly as an amateur judo match.
    Along with that, I remember the announcers saying that Tomlin was rotating guys on the line a lot more yesterday to keep them fresh since there's a Thursday night game this week. He didn't want to wear out any of his guys. Some may say that's looking past the Jags. I disagree. That's realizing a game against a division team and perennial contender for first place in the division is more important than a game against a 1-8 team conference team.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Team win defense was real good DJ a pretty big game and, Ben was good got greedy at the end of the half with the pick.